Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
ZomgPig

Creating a TFC server

4 posts in this topic

Hello fellow TFC players,

I've noticed a lack of any new, small, vanilla TFC servers on this forum, and I've been toying around with the idea of creating a new one. The only problem is, I've never maintained a server before or anything like that, and for now I'm just inquiring: How much does it cost to run a server? Is there going to be a lot of maintenance on my part? Also, how hard is a TFC server to set up? 

Thanks in advance, and also let me know if you're interested!

It's going to cost a lot of time to set things up correctly. If you don't then you will spend even more time maintaining your server. What I mean by this is that if you don't have something that allows players to claim land and protect their stuff you will be doing a lot of police work. TFC doesn't play nice with other mods or plugins so figuring this stuff out takes a lot of trial and error. We run TFC on KCauldron and spent a lot of time tweaking Bukkit plugins and a few server mods to produce a fairly maintenance free server. Most stuff is protected and the stuff we know can go wrong is easily fixed.

That's the hard part. Cost-wise it all depends on where you host it and how large the server needs to be. Just renting a Minecraft instance is cheaper than renting a complete server where you have total control. In my opinion you should run a TFC server with no less than 4GB of RAM allocated to Minecraft. That should be enough for about 10 players with fleshed out towns, farms and machinery. On our server we maintain strict limits to how much each town is allowed to build: fruit trees, berries, farm land blocks, TFC machines, etc. Reason being that we want to keep the server lag free for up to 20 players. Renting a 4GB server instance will cost about 20 to 40 euro/month depending on where you host it. Cheaper hosts tend to put more servers on one physical machine thus reducing performance. But you might be able to get away with that given that there aren't a lot of people who actively play TFC anymore. And you can always start small and upgrade later if your server becomes popular. You will need a server host where you are allowed to install mods. And if you want to host a public, non-whitelisted server I highly recommend using KCauldron which is something that the server host needs to support. Otherwise go with a whitelist option and keep a close eye on the players.

20 hours ago, InsaneJ said:

It's going to cost a lot of time to set things up correctly. If you don't then you will spend even more time maintaining your server. What I mean by this is that if you don't have something that allows players to claim land and protect their stuff you will be doing a lot of police work. TFC doesn't play nice with other mods or plugins so figuring this stuff out takes a lot of trial and error. We run TFC on KCauldron and spent a lot of time tweaking Bukkit plugins and a few server mods to produce a fairly maintenance free server. Most stuff is protected and the stuff we know can go wrong is easily fixed.

That's the hard part. Cost-wise it all depends on where you host it and how large the server needs to be. Just renting a Minecraft instance is cheaper than renting a complete server where you have total control. In my opinion you should run a TFC server with no less than 4GB of RAM allocated to Minecraft. That should be enough for about 10 players with fleshed out towns, farms and machinery. On our server we maintain strict limits to how much each town is allowed to build: fruit trees, berries, farm land blocks, TFC machines, etc. Reason being that we want to keep the server lag free for up to 20 players. Renting a 4GB server instance will cost about 20 to 40 euro/month depending on where you host it. Cheaper hosts tend to put more servers on one physical machine thus reducing performance. But you might be able to get away with that given that there aren't a lot of people who actively play TFC anymore. And you can always start small and upgrade later if your server becomes popular. You will need a server host where you are allowed to install mods. And if you want to host a public, non-whitelisted server I highly recommend using KCauldron which is something that the server host needs to support. Otherwise go with a whitelist option and keep a close eye on the players.

Thanks InsaneJ,

I appreciate the response. My (hypothetical) server would be only vanilla, however. I don't really enjoy playing TFC with any plugins or mods (though maybe a couple of the TFC specific addons). I tend to enjoy the kind of 'anarchy' aspect of a survival game, though simply griefing just to grief would be frowned upon. With that in mind, would it be simple to set up? Would the RAM allotment still need to be a minimum of 4GB? I should also mention that I only intend for maybe 5 or so players to be on at once, since there really aren't many TFC players right now anyway. Thanks again!

Edited by ZomgPig

Anarchy doesn't work well for TFC. There have been a few of those kind of servers in the past and they all died quickly. People don't enjoy having to grid hours on end to progress in TFC, only to have some griefer come along and wreck it in a few minutes.

I gave you my recommendation. If you want to try with less than 4GB, do some testing and see what works for you.

Edited by InsaneJ