Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
daxx367

New slots

New Slots   35 members have voted

1. 1. Clothes

• Over armor (extra slots)
    • Instead of armor (no new slots)
  2. 2. Battle gear mod Weapon and shield slots.

• Yes
    • No
    • With changes (please list changes)
  3. 3. Backpacks

• New slot
    • Chestplate slot
    • Inventory (like backpack mod)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

42 posts in this topic

First all of this stuff has its own threads and I will link if i remember, this is just about slots that should / shouldn't be added.

Just look at the poll and answer.

Feel free to suggest ideas or changes.

Shields are very interesting, I'd definitely want to see shields or dual wielding in some shape or form.

Assuming you mean clothes, they really wouldn't have any particular value or purpose so there's no need for them.

Backpacks tie into something I've been thinking of, which is limiting the inventory to the hotbar and allowing it to be expanded by a row for wearing a backpack/satchel/some kind of carrying equipment. However this would probably require it's own slot as using the chestplate slot is stupid due to preventing you from wearing armor and using up an inventory space is redundant.

With the clothes (its now corrected thanks) they would stop area/biome effects (one of the devs basically said that this would be included) and/or in muiltiplayer be used to show teams (for lack of a better word as there will be no teams in muitliplayer).

I'm being a pedantic ass here, but clothes really need to go under armour. Surcoats and the like can go over it, as can cloaks, but if you wore metal armour on the skin or with a thin shirt, you'd more than likely freeze to death, it acts as a giant heat sink, carrying away all of your body heat into the metal. I have voted for over armour (just because it's close :P)

Edit- The shield issue is currently being discussed in another thread :)

Good point but remember its still a game and its assumed that you have something under your armor.

And its not the shield its the slots that I'm talking about.

Here is my battle gear stile idea for shield & sword fit out. It will take away 2 slots from the 'tool' bar, and unless an item is in the sword slot you can NOT do damage with it.

All I cans say is if there is such a thing as two sets of armor slots, I would rather make them a bit more aribtrary, as in one set is in the top layer, and the other is the lower.

What matters is how you place the clothes, but other than that, you can wear your armor over your sweater, or your extra shirt under your sweater in winter in ice plains or tundras, or simply a cloak over your bandoleer, or oyur cape over your armor.

Restricting it to two slots really means you have to dress for your battles, or weather, or aesthetically, restricting your players to consider more than what is the heaviest shell than they can carry, but what works.

A cloak over heavy armor may dull sound, and hid the fact that you are wearing clothes to kills, but you could wear chainmaille under your plate armor, and become a Juggernaut, if in a wintry biome, where it's cold, trade warmth for a bit of armor, and risk freezing, or wear a cloak in a desert to shade yourself, and avoid using the second slot because it may lead to overheating.

For you suggestions about swords and shields, I should direct you to another thread for another idea on how to handle shields. [shameless self-promotion]

Good point but remember its still a game and its assumed that you have something under your armor.

Here is my battle gear stile idea for shield & sword fit out. It will take away 2 slots from the 'tool' bar, and unless an item is in the sword slot you can NOT do damage with it.

I see, the clothing issue will all depend on how bioxx and co. decide to implement the clothing really. If they put in "overclothes" such as aprons, cloaks and surcoats then over will make sense :)

I actually really like that idea :), activate combat mode with a button or something ?

All I cans say is if there is such a thing as two sets of armor slots, I would rather make them a bit more aribtrary, as in one set is in the top layer, and the other is the lower.

What matters is how you place the clothes, but other than that, you can wear your armor over your sweater, or your extra shirt under your sweater in winter in ice plains or tundras, or simply a cloak over your bandoleer, or oyur cape over your armor.

Restricting it to two slots really means you have to dress for your battles, or weather, or aesthetically, restricting your players to consider more than what is the heaviest shell than they can carry, but what works.

A cloak over heavy armor may dull sound, and hid the fact that you are wearing clothes to kills, but you could wear chainmaille under your plate armor, and become a Juggernaut, if in a wintry biome, where it's cold, trade warmth for a bit of armor, and risk freezing, or wear a cloak in a desert to shade yourself, and avoid using the second slot because it may lead to overheating.

This. It adds way way more flexibility to the "suiting up" part on minecraft, dressing for the weather OR battle, or a mix of both. That way, a mighty war party could be struck down by lightly armoured ambushers who were prepared for the weather, and people who rely on armour that was too heavy would end up (like the crusaders in the middle east) poorly prepared for their environment

Jed, should I suggest reading my post, I've seem to have the knack of ninja'ing, and I am afraid of ignorance...

Anyways, the suggestion about removing 2 of the seven slots from the hotbar, and not allowing anything in them that can add damage to your fists is stupid.

Because all the tools, cause extra damage, except the hoe.

I'd rather something I said that is less intrusive, and forceful, like my suggestion with blocking and shields, in noodle's thread, at the bottom part of page 1, ending at the top of page 2, for now.

Back to clothing, you can have other novelty items that you can hamfist into the clothing slots, aprons, or bandages, for a bit of warmth, or a sort of medical system that stipulates "not getting grotesque injuries" or "losing armor slots"

Actually, that sounds smart, reducing the amount of armor slots for temporary regenerative effects with bandages

[i have edited several times in the space of minutes, I have not learned my lesson about fast edits]

Jed, should I suggest reading my post, I've seem to have the knack of ninja'ing, and I am afraid of ignorance...

This confused me a little, I'm not sure which post you are referring to or what aspect of my post either, sorry :S

Anyways, the suggestion about removing 2 of the seven slots from the hotbar, and not allowing anything in them that can add damage to your fists is stupid.

Because all the tools, cause extra damage, except the hoe.

I'd rather something I said that is less intrusive, and forceful, like my suggestion with blocking and shields, in noodle's thread

I'm flexible, either solution suits me, although I can see what you mean

Back to clothing, you can have other novelty items that you can hamfist into the clothing slots, aprons, or bandages, for a bit of warmth, or a sort of medical system that stipulates "not getting grotesque injuries" or "losing armor slots"

Actually, that sounds smart, reducing the amount of armor slots for temporary regenerative effects with bandages

I think this is great, it would be even better with damage localised to body parts, although I know that is hard, that way you could apply things like bandages, splints etc. to the specific damaged area, which is what you were saying I think :)

Splints for the limbs? Legs for minimal fall damage mitigation, and chest for a bit of help blocking. [insert obtuse reference to noodles]

Either that of minimal, or dirt cheap 'armor.'

Oh yeah, and it seems everyone forgot the part about wearing things because they look good, 'aesthetics,' who wants to wear a cape, over your heavy, full set of steel, or copper, for nothing other than vanity, or parading around your town because you are captain of the guard, or a hero, or something. [All bow before the power of pride, which soon begets hubris when your village is burnt down, or you are ambushed by rubes]

At the waste of a slot, all I can say is that you can at least hold a lot of other things in your inventory, like chainmail to complete your Juggernaut outfit in a second, or shimmy around the corner, and wear some bandages, after getting the brunt of the first wave, to the face, for a while.

Splints for the limbs? Legs for minimal fall damage mitigation, and chest for a bit of help blocking. [insert obtuse reference to noodles]

Either that of minimal, or dirt cheap 'armor.'

Splints as in the sticks strapped to broken limbs to aid healing before casts were invented :)

Oh yeah, and it seems everyone forgot the part about wearing things because they look good, 'aesthetics,' who wants to wear a cape, over your heavy, full set of steel, or copper, for nothing other than vanity, or a walk in the park of your village that you and your friends have made. [All bow before the power of pride, which soon begets hubris when your village is burnt down, or you are ambushed by rubes]

Aesthetic clothing would make sense of course :) .. I for one would definitely rock a fur cape at any given opportunity :D

What monster would burn down my park T.T

For you suggestions about swords and shields, I should direct you to another thread for another idea on how to handle shields. [shameless self-promotion]

Well it worked didn't it???

The clothes idea is really coming along well.

And the unless in 'attack' slot no damage is for balancing maybe reduced for tools and no for other items??

Capes are epic!!! :P

Whatever, what I suggested allows you to place the sword and shield where ever on the hotbar, that sort of flexibility, and incentive for inventory management, would be pretty canonical with TFC as a whole.

[i cross my fingers that that doesn't backfire.]

All's fun and games in the winter with a fur cape over your iron plate, make sure to live well away from the desert.

Or you only travel through it at night. (Its not well known that its REALLY cold at night in a desert.

Yay I'm over 100 posts!!! :)

Edited by daxx367

Whatever, what I suggested allows you to place the sword and shield where ever on the hotbar, that sort of flexibility, and incentive for inventory management, would be pretty canonical with TFC as a whole.

[i cross my fingers that that doesn't backfire.]

I feel much the same now actually, part of what TFC is meant to do is put a squeeze on your inventory, by forcing you to choose between defense and carrying capacity, this keeps with that theme

All's fun and games in the winter with a fur cape over your iron plate, make sure to live well away from the desert.

And I will build a mighty palace called Winterfell to complement my lovely fur cloak, which will be warmed with the water from my nearby volcanic .. Wait, maybe I should just go read game of thrones again ¬.¬

On another note, I feel we should be a bit more specific about what armor can be worn where. For example:

Backpacks (if implemented) can only go on the external chest (this also helps increase the penalties for backpack use to minimize their impact on TFC's hard inventory management)

You couldn't wear plate on the internal layer, only the external

Chainmail can go on either

Cloaks and other overclothes can only go on the external layers

etc.

and GZ daxx :)

For the cloths should go under armor, over armor they would look stupid. So for clothes under armor and new slots. For back packs there should be a slot between the cloths and armor slots for chestpiece were the backpack would go. And there should be different sizes,shapes and colours of bags, also bags should be visable on the person just like the capes.Bit like in Arma 2:CO DayZ.

Or you only travel through it at night. (Its not well known that its REALLY cold at night in a desert.

Yay I'm over 100 posts!!! :)

Congratuliations, good sir!

I'm going to try and mock up a gui give me 10 - 20 min

For the cloths should go under armor, over armor they would look stupid. So for clothes under armor and new slots. For back packs there should be a slot between the cloths and armor slots for chestpiece were the backpack would go. And there should be different sizes,shapes and colours of bags, also bags should be visable on the person just like the capes.Bit like in Arma 2:CO DayZ.

Regular clothes would, indeed, look silly over armor, however, I direct you to this:

Posted Image

As you can see, knights often wore surcoats and cloaks over their armor, to prevent the metal from heating in the sun, and to display heraldric colours :) These are clothes are they not ?

I also feel the backpacks should not get a dedicated slot, as this would affect the balance of inventory management in the game :)

These surcoats do serve a purpose in game by the way, as they protect from heat (which armor will absorb given half the chance)

Regular clothes would, indeed, look silly over armor, however, I direct you to this:

Posted Image

As you can see, knights often wore surcoats and cloaks over their armor, to prevent the metal from heating in the sun, and to display heraldric colours :) These are clothes are they not ?

I also feel the backpacks should not get a dedicated slot, as this would affect the balance of inventory management in the game :)

These surcoats do serve a purpose in game by the way, as they protect from heat (which armor will absorb given half the chance)

You directed me to a picture which shows a knight from the years 2k -> 2k12. But what you can see in the picture it is a knight in the tabard that tells over people from what family/country/group he comes from...

You directed me to a picture which shows a knight from the years 2k -> 2k12. But what you can see in the picture it is a knight in the tabard that tells over people from what family/country/group he comes from...

It is somewhat difficult to find a clear picture of a knight from any other era ;)

Also, tabard and surcoat are analogous to one another. They are in essence the same thing. The tabard/surcoat plays more of a role than just displaying family/faction alliances. I would quote a citation, but this is from my experience as a "living historian", admittedly I generally focus on the early medieval age as opposed to the later periods when plate armor was relatively widespread. However, the point still stands that, as dressing and fighting in a historically accurate manner is a weekend hobby of mine, I have a degree of authority on this :)

This is what wikipedia has to say about the subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surcoat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabard

Ok heres my idea of the new GUI (sorry Steve :unsure:)

Red would be your chain mail /I'm going for a stroll clothes.

Blue is the heavy armor /second clothes / stuff in pic (from Jed).

Green was going to be the backpack /capes.

(^ this can be changed but that was my original idea)

post-506-0-07703100-1341575065_thumb.jpg

-snip-

It would probably be better to extend the GUI out than hide steve :P

That looks excellent otherwise ! :) I like the fact that the cloak slot is also the backpack slot, I realised that because of my suggestion I couldn't strut majestically in my full plate armour with cloak, so this pleases me :D

Well done mate :)

The only thing I would change is make the cloak/backpack slot cloak only (as I still feel the backpack should be placed on the outer layer to incur a penalty for using them to assure inventory management balance :) )

The only thing I would change is make the cloak/backpack slot cloak only (as I still feel the backpack should be placed on the outer layer to incur a penalty for using them to assure inventory management balance :) )

Yes I'm trying to find a solution to that. :/

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0