Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zwalas

Water Barrel - metallurgy

18 posts in this topic

I've been busy recently so this is why I wrote this so late but I found in a change log that chests cools metals 3x times normal.

And then I came up with an idea that there is possibility to make something like a Barrel. It would be a chest in minecraft, but it will look like a barrel of water! :) The recipe could be something like already existant bucket :)

How do you like this idea?

This is already going to be in the game, in fact, the quench option in the anvil needs a currently unimplemented water barrel next to the anvil to be used. Since Quench is one fourth of the red options, it isn't going to be spectacular to assume the barrel is going to come anyways.

Anyways, currently, Bioxxx is looking for a way, other than water, to allow you to cool your hot irons.

Chests allow items to cool at 3x normal rate. This is temporary until a better solution not involving water is found.

So this is to say, that the barrel is coming anyways, but not until there is something else is made first.

Often types of oil are used to quench and temper metals, so possibly small oil pockets in the world, nothing like buildcraft, just little spots of oil. Oil allows for a slower cool than water, but faster than air. The cooling time of an alloy is important, and with the right speed you can increase strength and hardness.

Often types of oil are used to quench and temper metals, so possibly small oil pockets in the world, nothing like buildcraft, just little spots of oil. Oil allows for a slower cool than water, but faster than air. The cooling time of an alloy is important, and with the right speed you can increase strength and hardness.

Actually oil is used because it does pull heat away faster then water, plus it has the added benefit of adding more carbon to the metal unlike a water quenching would.

Actually oil is used because it does pull heat away faster then water, plus it has the added benefit of adding more carbon to the metal unlike a water quenching would.

Thats not true. Oil is less dense than water and has a lower conductivity, so the metal cools slower. Cooling in water can leave a metal too hard and not tough enough resulting in a brittle piece which, at best, will need to be annealed and retreated or, at worst, will simply crack/snap due to internal stress. I study the production of metal products at university, including the adjustment of material properties of steel. Also, carbonaceous oil (such as used motor oil) only carburises the outer micrometers of steel, resulting in increased *surface* harness, but it does not affect the chemical composition of the core metal. Even for milimeter deep carburisation, the metal must be held at red hot temperatures for many hours (possibly even days) in a carbon rich environment such as a sealed tube of charred bone :)

I also do some blacksmithing as a hobby :P

Thats not true. Oil is less dense than water and has a lower conductivity, so the metal cools slower. Cooling in water can leave a metal too hard and not tough enough resulting in a brittle piece which, at best, will need to be annealed and retreated or, at worst, will simply crack/snap due to internal stress. I study the production of metal products at university, including the adjustment of material properties of steel. Also, carbonaceous oil (such as used motor oil) only carburises the outer micrometers of steel, resulting in increased *surface* harness, but it does not affect the chemical composition of the core metal. Even for milimeter deep carburisation, the metal must be held at red hot temperatures for many hours (possibly even days) in a carbon rich environment such as a sealed tube of charred bone :)

Scienceboner.

<3

Barrels could have a lot of usage other than just quenching metal. They could prove as a more efficient method than buckets for storing all kinds of liquids(water, brews, oils, etc), as well as grain or seeds. They could be crafted with the planks added in the construction update, or something.

Scienceboner.

<3

I'm honoured ;)

I'm honoured ;)

Seeing other people around here doing research and actually trying to be accurate makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Or maybe that's just the sodium hydroxide.

Either way~

Seeing other people around here doing research and actually trying to be accurate makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Or maybe that's just the sodium hydroxide.

Either way~

Trying to make soap and couldn't find a bucket eh ?

I'm not going to lie, most of the research I had done before, I'm a total military/history/rpg nerd, so I have all these crazy urges to research all kinds of topics :)

Trying to make soap and couldn't find a bucket eh ?

I'm not going to lie, most of the research I had done before, I'm a total military/history/rpg nerd, so I have all these crazy urges to research all kinds of topics :)

Nah, just got thirsty after dropping some sodium metal in water. Always entertaining.

and as a D&D vet I'm always researching and creating props for my adventures, cuz I ALWAYS use personally crafted settings and campaigns - never the pregen stuff, unless I'm teaching the game to someone else.

Johnny was a chemist's son

But Johnny is no more

What Johnny thought was H2O

Was H2SO4

Nah, just got thirsty after dropping some sodium metal in water. Always entertaining.

and as a D&D vet I'm always researching and creating props for my adventures, cuz I ALWAYS use personally crafted settings and campaigns - never the pregen stuff, unless I'm teaching the game to someone else.

Johnny was a chemist's son

But Johnny is no more

What Johnny thought was H2O

Was H2SO4

Unfortunately my living history martial arts class occupied my only free dnd day :(

Getting your science on I see, I didn't do much chemistry after 4th year in school, but I remember my acids and bases :)

Unfortunately my living history martial arts class occupied my only free dnd day :(

Getting your science on I see, I didn't do much chemistry after 4th year in school, but I remember my acids and bases :)

You're my friend now.

You're my friend now.

Agree'd ! :)

Barrels could have a lot of usage other than just quenching metal. They could prove as a more efficient method than buckets for storing all kinds of liquids(water, brews, oils, etc), as well as grain or seeds. They could be crafted with the planks added in the construction update, or something.

Fruit barrels could be neat. It feels so weird to store fruit in a chest, especially since its color isn't seen! (but also it would rot faster in a chest, wouldn't it?)

Yeah, I think so, also having other foods like fish available for barrel storage would be nice.

I love you, bro. Send me some pm's with more of your blacksmithing ideas

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0