Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Lumireaver

Dirt Roads

102 posts in this topic

it should work like grass when unsupported, except for the random grass to dirt transition.

and it should work in that way because...?

The grass has an excuse: as the roots of the grass are expanded in more than one grass block, multiple grass blocks can hold one to each other, strong enough to avoid falling but not enough to endure the creatures who constantly walk over it.

Now, as the tamped earth has no alive roots in it -and dead ones are far more weaker-, why it would hold itself in the air?

Reminds me of a small gameplay mechanic of an old RTS game called Original War when you walk over grass, the grass degrades until it eventually becomes a dirt path.

and it should work in that way because...?

The grass has an excuse: as the roots of the grass are expanded in more than one grass block, multiple grass blocks can hold one to each other, strong enough to avoid falling but not enough to endure the creatures who constantly walk over it.

Now, as the tamped earth has no alive roots in it -and dead ones are far more weaker-, why it would hold itself in the air?

Because it's really hard.

Smooth, real smooth, it would be nice but it doesn't work that way, unless there is a ton of clay or something else similar to clay it won't work that way. However on the topic of houses out of dirt i wouldn't mind if tall grass were to drop grass seed instead then you could still use dirt you would just support it then seed it then remove the supports, it would certainly help early game houses. Since we were talking about wild wheat grass would need something to drop anyways.

Because it's really hard.

...so are diamonds, but they fall when you drop those too. If you don't believe me, borrow your mom's engagement ring and toss it in the air.

It comes back down.

Hard =/= immune from gravity

Not what he meant and we aren't apply gravity to every single block that would kill so many ideas

...so are diamonds, but they fall when you drop those too. If you don't believe me, borrow your mom's engagement ring and toss it in the air.

It comes back down.

Hard =/= immune from gravity

This is a game, i can create unsupported grass, stone, bricks, smoothstone, wood, ect. The fact that this is a game outside the bounds of our reality means we can control the physics so that they work best. The fact that loose grass can float but not a very tightly packed dirt is silly.

I'm kind of both ways on the subject.

I feel like packed dirt should float like stone--hovering unless it's disturbed (just like the cave-in mechanic, not entirely physics free), but at the same time, I don't want roofs made of tamped soil because they make no sense. It would also undermine mudbricks.

Against tamped dirt with no physics, for being able to put grass on dirt to give it no physics.

Against tamped dirt with no physics, for being able to put grass on dirt to give it no physics.

I'm not sure, but that statement reads to me as, "I'm against tamped dirt with no physics because tamped dirt is able to put grass on dirt without physics," which makes no sense whatsoever. I think the sentiment is pretty clear though, and the more I think on it, the more I'm inclined to agree. We already know beefed-up construction is in the pipeline. If you're looking to build houses out of dirt you should be looking to construct out of rammed earth. Which aught to be done using the tamper, but would involve extra steps, fames, some sand, clay, and maybe something more. :U

I think the issue of the "roof made of tamped dirt" could be easily destroied if we make some pros and cons of doing that. For example, and totally for example: If we get this suggestion and think that could work with like, lets see, temperature suggestion, that house made of dirt is a lot colder than a normal house with bricks for example.

I don't know, if we just make some bad situations if people use that for contruction of houses, they still can make it, but is a lot worse that using other things to build. I think we are kind of limited here on the gravity idea. Lets make the life of a "Dirty Houser" a chaos! xD

replace for with not against and it will make sense. My point is that grass houses are possible to make but not big ones and they would be very easy to make.

Another thought is, tamping or compressing the dirt would in reality compress its size too. Maybe when you compress the earth it consumes an additional dirt block from inventory. Then 1 compressed block = 2 regular blocks.

Then to prevent non falling road block from being used as a physics breaker on buildings and such make it revert to normal dirt if a block is placed on top of it.

There are many ways to deal with block physics abuse, but in the end really what business is it of anyone else to decide how other people should play on the own server or game. Cramming through possible abuse scenarios to prevent it at all costs is almost more pathetic than "cheating" at how you play.

The object of a dirt road is to not consume resources. I figured it would just be dirt rather than entirely new set of blocks. the only change is that you can remove grass quickly and efficiently by either stepping on it or using a hoe on it. This dirt could be turned back into grass by putting seeds in it. The advantages well grass has no physics and you could drive your cart easier over dirt. For the record I'm not a big fan of being called pathetic and preventing loop holes is what keeps a game from being overrun by trolls and suddenly becoming no fun anymore.

For the record I'm not a big fan of being called pathetic and preventing loop holes is what keeps a game from being overrun by trolls and suddenly becoming no fun anymore.

Bit off topic, but where were you called pathetic ? That's bang out of order :S

Was just going to suggest this... Damn psychic you are.

If you guys apply gravity to everything you'll make me watch my awesome treehouse fall into pieces! :o (why is there no crying emoticon?)

Bit off topic, but where were you called pathetic ? That's bang out of order :S

Err... Jed, could you take a look at the post just over bsb's one? ._. i think that's when he's called "pathetic"

Err... Jed, could you take a look at the post just over bsb's one? ._. i think that's when he's called "pathetic"

I didn't see that :L I'm as blind as a bat evidently :S

Anyway,

There are many ways to deal with block physics abuse, but in the end really what business is it of anyone else to decide how other people should play on the own server or game. Cramming through possible abuse scenarios to prevent it at all costs is almost more pathetic than "cheating" at how you play.

I think "pathetic" is overdoing it a bit mate, there is no need to talk to other people like that :S

The idea of a game is to enjoy your experience. If a developer goes to excessively great lengths to make sure that the game must be played exactly as intended, it removes something from the game. If i had to follow overly strict rules every time i played, i would eventually start following a routine and the mod would get old quickly.

how about this....

a rake changes the top of any block into a road. while on a road block, the player moves faster. however, mobs are attracted to roads…like bandits. they may also spawn on/near roads during the day. road blocks are not effected by gravity.

Not what I was hoping for, I can move just as fast on a road and in the grass, wheelbarrows on the other hand don't. I still don't think a road block is necessary. Just a rake to change grass into dirt or trampling will turn grass into dirt preferably both. The only permanent road could be smoothstone or bricks or whatever as cobblestone sucks to drive over.

If you jump in floating grass enough it turns to dirt....

I agree with the Road idea, especially the use of a Tamper, and having to flatten land to place some block :P it would be like the swamp king in Monty python's holy grail other wise XD

I know other ideas should go in a separate thread, but, i think that there should be higher tiered roads as well,

Tier 0 Flat ground

Tier 1 Dirt/gravel? (slight increase to tier 0, such as flood protection, by adding channels.)

Tier 2 Cobblestone road, by cobblestone i mean the real deal, and these were used vastly across much of the developed world, before metalled roads.

Tier 3 Metalled Roads, the name is deceptive, basically what it is, it a road that has a system of large rocks on the bottom, and progressingly smaller rocks nearing the surface, this is the closest to modern roads that can be constructed without Petroleum.