Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scrawl

Please help; followed every variant of installation instructions and still get a black screen when starting up minecraft.

19 posts in this topic

installations I have tried:

two (probably outdated) youtube guides:

-Modloader

-Forge ver 96

-TFC_Client_Core and TFC_Resources

-Modloader

-Forge 3.3.8.152 Client

-TFC_Client_Core and TFC_Resources

Recommended by your site:

PlayerAPI

Forge 3.3.8.152 Client

TFC_Client_Core and TFC_Resources

then just to see I tried:

PlayerAPI

Forge 96 Client

and

Modloader

PlayerAPI

Forge 3.3.8.152 Client

Every one of these had meta-inf deleted and completely fresh bin folder to work with, and every single one gave me a black screen.

I also tried the recommended installation stickied at the top of the support forum, which gave me a series of errors related to the multimc program.

Can anyone help me?

What OS are you using? You have to be carefull with macs, because they don't merge folders; instead, macs simply overwrite the old folder with the new one.

Upon instalation of the TFC_Client_Core, you will have to carefully place each file from the "net" folder, inside the TFC_Client_Core container inside the one with the same name in your minecraft.jar.

The same case happens with TFC_Resources, which requires the instalation of one or two (can't remember correctly) folders that already existed inside the raw minecraft.jar container.

I had the same problem as you did, but then I realized that the problem was what I just said above. (I use MacOS X)

Edited by Ryudo

delete meta-inf forlder form minecraft.jar

Every one of these had meta-inf deleted and completely fresh bin folder to work with, and every single one gave me a black screen.

delete meta-inf forlder form minecraft.jar

When people suggest this I just get mad. People blindly spit this out as a trouble shoot without ever actually reading the post.

Okay I've tried everything suggested so far and nothing has worked. I found a diagnostic tool for the minecraft launcher which gave me this:

http://pastebin.com/Bp4VUez5

as an error. Can anyone help?

Edit: The pastebin above was from: Modloader, Forge ver 96 and the relevant TFC files (core, resources, textures)

This is from using the right version of forge(3.3.8.152):

http://pastebin.com/kc5VZrQC

The reason I used an older forge is because with forge 152 minecraft doesn't start even before adding the TFC files.

The second pastebin is an error before adding TFC files. If I add the TFC files (with forge .152) I get the same error as the first pastebin, as evidenced here:

http://pastebin.com/eigPYcKH

I'm not too great with the technical stuff, but from what I have gathered from people is that Modloader is no longer part of the equation as Forge has it built in now. Also, Forge must be first, as the rest of the parts rely on it. So the ultra careful manual install into mincraft.jar it should be something like:

Install Forge Client 3.3.8.152

*run minecraft to menu screen*

*close minecraft*

Install Player API

*run minecraft to menu screen*

*close minecraft*

Install TFC Client Core

Install TFC Resources

Alternatively you could use MultiMC like me, create a new minecraft instance, Edit Mods, and drag the 4 zips over into the list in the aforementioned order. I like it because it makes updating easier. Just Edit Mods, delete the core and resources, drag in the new core and resources.

Thats unfortunate. It looks like there are both unix and mac flavors of MultiMc, which may be your best bet if what Ryudo says is true and Mac's really do suck that much. The tool is available from http://forkk.net/MultiMC/ Getting that tool, a freshly downloaded minecraft.jar file, and all of the mods required for TFC should do the trick.

Thats unfortunate. It looks like there are both unix and mac flavors of MultiMc, which may be your best bet if what Ryudo says is true and Mac's really do suck that much. The tool is available from http://forkk.net/MultiMC/ Getting that tool, a freshly downloaded minecraft.jar file, and all of the mods required for TFC should do the trick.

No need to be mean with Macs :P hehe

I'm not too great with the technical stuff, but from what I have gathered from people is that Modloader is no longer part of the equation as Forge has it built in now.

Actually what valkup said makes total sense. I've read about some people having trouble while trying to install both TFC, which used only forge, and other mods that use modloader, and the main problem seems to be modloader itself. If forge really does have it built in, then your other mods (if you plan to use any other) might work just fine with only forge installed!

No need to be mean with Macs :P hehe

Actually what valkup said makes total sense. I've read about some people having trouble while trying to install both TFC, which used only forge, and other mods that use modloader, and the main problem seems to be modloader itself. If forge really does have it built in, then your other mods (if you plan to use any other) might work just fine with only forge installed!

I played around with this a bit, and it seems that if you install ModLoader first, then mineforge, then your other mod files (like player API Render API, etc) it will work. I had to fight with the order to get smart moving working but the solution was to install Modloader, then forge, then the other mods (for the ones I had the order didnt seem to matter beyond ML and forge)

forge doesnt NEED modloader at all, it comes built in.

It certainly doesnt, but many other mods do. Do you run just TFC?

It certainly doesnt, but many other mods do. Do you run just TFC?

it already implements the functions of modloader, if the mods don't work with it, they're doing something incorrectly.

I have in the past run many several mods at once that ALL used forge and modloader (they worked instantly without modloader when forge incorporated modloader functions)

it already implements the functions of modloader, if the mods don't work with it, they're doing something incorrectly.

I have in the past run many several mods at once that ALL used forge and modloader (they worked instantly without modloader when forge incorporated modloader functions)

Smart moving requires Modloader and TFC's built in one does not function for it. I've personally had to work around this. If they are using more than just TFC, and the mods download/instructions page says to install it, its a good idea to install it. Knowing the correct order to install them is is a must, ergo I posted it here...

Come to think of it, I made a mistake while I was installing smart moving the first time around and cant remember specifically if smart moving worked or not without ModLoader... I will try this and see.

I stand corrected, Smart Moving worked without ModLoader. Sorry bout that kotor :D. It appears that the issue was the order of forge vs the render player api, and not modloader.

I seem to be using some of the same mods you are, I actually wrote a script to auto-patch from a fresh minecraft.jar

it requires unmodded jar to be in a directory named fresh_jar and a pre-existing output directory named modded_jar, and the zips must be in the same directory as the script.

Its written in python, if you don't have python, install activepython and make sure that python's bin directory is added to your Path environmental variable

The only part of this code you'd need to edit are the names of the mod zipfiles in the section with several queue.append statements. They will be installed in the order they are appended to the queue.

for some reason the editor does not support leading tabs, so the while loop below won't work unless you tab the controlled statements, so i've zipped the script and uploaded it.

#!/usr/bin/pythonimport subprocessimport globimport osimport sys#remove crap from unzip dirsubproc=subprocess.Popen(["rm","-rf","./put_this_in_jar"],shell=False)subproc.wait()subproc=subprocess.Popen(["mkdir","./put_this_in_jar"],shell=False)subproc.wait()subproc=subprocess.Popen(["rm","-rf","./modded_jar/minecraft.jar"],shell=False)subproc.wait()#put base minecraft in unzip dirsubproc=subprocess.Popen(["unzip","-uo","./fresh_jar/minecraft.jar","-d","put_this_in_jar"],shell=False)subproc.wait()#remove meta infsubproc=subprocess.Popen(["rm","-rf","./put_this_in_jar/META-INF"],shell=False)subproc.wait()#put mods in a list in orderqueue=[]queue.append("minecraftforge-client-3.3.8.164.zip")queue.append("MC 1.2.5 - Player API client 1.5.zip")queue.append("MC 1.2.5 - Player API render 1.4.zip")queue.append("Smart Moving Client for ModLoader.zip")queue.append("TFCraft-client-core-B2-Build46b.zip")queue.append("TFC_Resources.zip")queue.append("CodeChickenCore-Client 0.5.3.zip")queue.append("NotEnoughItems-Client 1.2.2.4.zip")queue.append("HDSkinsv13Forge2.zip")queue.append("automap_patch.zip")queue.append("OptiFine_1.2.5_HD_C3.zip")#reverse order for popping itemsqueue.reverse();#unzip mod files into unzip dirwhile len(queue)>0:        subproc=subprocess.Popen(["unzip","-uo",queue.pop(),"-d","./put_this_in_jar"],shell=False)#this line ought to have 1 leading tab        subproc.wait()#this line ought to have 1 leading tab#make jaros.chdir("put_this_in_jar")subproc=subprocess.Popen(["jar","cf","../modded_jar/minecraft.jar"]+os.listdir("."),shell=False)subproc.wait()os.chdir("..")#remove crap from unzip dirsubproc=subprocess.Popen(["rm","-rf","./put_this_in_jar"])subproc.wait()

mc_patcher.zip

Nice, the last time I used python was for an open source web programming course my freshman year :(. I do however have a similar tool which I made, that is very much like multi mc that a few friends and I use. I could provide you with a build, and the source code if you are interested :). I happen to note your directory separator char is unix. I dont remember if that relfects the file system on the disk in python or not. This tool requires the .NET framework, so unless you have a windows box, or through some small miracle it works via wine, you could only view the source code.

-edit- derp the /usr/bin should have given it away :P

Nice, the last time I used python was for an open source web programming course my freshman year :(. I do however have a similar tool which I made, that is very much like multi mc that a few friends and I use. I could provide you with a build, and the source code if you are interested :). I happen to note your directory separator char is unix. I dont remember if that relfects the file system on the disk in python or not. This tool requires the .NET framework, so unless you have a windows box, or through some small miracle it works via wine, you could only view the source code.

-edit- derp the /usr/bin should have given it away :P

well, you've got a point there, if I'd done it in perl or c/c++/java it would've worked just fine, but it was quick & dirty, and I hate perl (its so ugly to read after you're done), and the other languages were a bit much for a task easily performed by a shell script.

the tool you're talking about would likely work just fine in mono. If you like I could take a look at what its doing and see about pushing it through wxwidgets to make a cross platform version.

Incidentally i've been waiting for the author of multimc to commit a new edit to his git repo, its been several months with no update and the current fork is still highly buggy. (on linux it tries to reinstall the mods EVERY time you start it up and it shits the bed massively when you close minecraft.)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0