Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Jed1314

Combat Overhaul final (3/3)

72 posts in this topic

This one is going to hard to sell I fear :S

As per usual, art coming when it comes, probably tomorrow :)

I can’t believe I finished this one so soon after the last o.o

Nonetheless, here is the third and final installment of my combat overhaul. If you’ve just got here, here are links to parts 1 and 2:

Part 1:http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/1072-total-ranged-overhaul/

Part 2:http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/1094-combat-overhaul-cont-23/

Prologue:

Armor has been an important component of combat since time immemorial. Armor in history is also FAR more complex than most people know. Not every soldier on the medieval battlefield was a knight in plate armor. Most wore whatever they could afford, whether that was chainmail or linen padded jackets (known as a gambeson). Similarly, armor is limited by practical concerns, such as the need for mobility and also personal concerns, such as body temperature. I aim to simulate these issues, and widen the choices available to the player for protection, in this suggestion

Basic Premise: Currently in Minecraft, everyone is running around equipped like a medieval knight. I am to change this by moving the focus away from “wear as much as possible†to “wear what suits your requirementsâ€.

New Features: Armor Categories ! Explained below

Chainmail ! Chainmail will be added, because plate and chain are not interchangeable (as will be revealed) !

Consequences ! Because plate isn't dainty, and being dextrous in it is impossible :P

Use of Existing Features: Plate! It's not changing at all anymore, kind of :)

The 2 Armor Categories:

There will be 2 “categories†of armor, classing them by a combination of the weight, restrictiveness and bulk of armor. I will be doing this based on personal experience, so I appologise if you feel these are misplaced. Note: This is not a mechanical difference, this is just 2 categories I can use to explain the differences

:)

Light:

Light armor will include chainmail. It is intended for skirmishers, versatile fighters, and ranged fighters, who value adaptability over raw power. You can use all ranged weapons in chainmail. It's armor value is 3/4 of plate.

Heavy:

Heavy armor is full plate. It is designed for the “juggernautâ€. The guy who wades into battle with no shield and a two handed sword, cutting guys in half while their puny maces bounce off his hard metal shell ! (hopefully not, otherwise we have some balance issues

:P)

It's armor value will now remain the same. You will not be able to use ranged weapons in plate.

Crafting:

The fun bit ! ¬.¬

Light:

Chainmail: Chainmail would be crafted by using a double ingot with this pattern to give 16 Bundles of Links:

Posted Image

These links would then be placed in the same patterns as old plate used to be to give Chainmail.

Heavy:

Plate: Nothing to see here. Crafting of plate isn’t changing :)

Other Suggestions Relating to this:

I’m afraid there will be a bit of shameless self promotion here. In my previous combat overhaul (2/3) I mentioned possibly implementing stamina. If this was done, swings with weapons in heavy armor would cost more than medium which would cost more than light. This would also apply to blocking.

I also posted the Hardcore Mode thread on the forum, and feel that there could be much better implementation of this system with that suggestion. Here is a link for those who are curious:http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/1042-hardcore-mode/

I will give you some examples of what I mean:

Temperature would be greatly affected by armor choice. Armour is quite warm to wear. That being the case, heavier armor would generate more heat. This in turn would speed dehydration. Aditionally, it would be possible to make armor change the rate at which you lose “energy†meaning a hard day in plate armor could end in hallucinations etc. Just a thought :)

Just_Another_Guy_ :) has been very active in helping support/develop this suggestion, and has now compiled a list of different "classes" you could be in this suggestion. It's worth noting that you aren't forced to pick any of these, as you can change "class" with a simple equipment change, no skills, no attributes, no grinding :D

Link: http://terrafirmacra...combat-classes/

eek...

...and here's where we get into JDCollie territory of just being a little bit much. Too much of a good thing, mate

eek...

...and here's where we get into JDCollie territory of just being a little bit much. Too much of a good thing, mate

Too complex you think ? :S .. I can't really guess what is and what isn't because I have 0 programming knowledge, and I don't know anyone who I can ask :/

Thats a shame, but I'm not overly attached to this suggestion anyway :P

I don't know if I'll do pictures for this one, given that information :)

Edit: I'm off to sleep the now, but I am going to radically simplify this, as I realised it is far more complex than the others/then it needs to be. Watch this space :)

Love it :3 surprisely, although i didn't read this when making the chart, some things from here where considered... magical connection? :o

Anyways, i'm gonna post my chart right now :3

Love it :3 surprisely, although i didn't read this when making the chart, some things from here where considered... magical connection? :o

Anyways, i'm gonna post my chart right now :3

Awesome man :) I'll give it a look and link to it in my thread :) .. Looking at the way i've done this, I'm tempted to ask about somehow condensing it into one meta thread. Right now it's too big :P

It's good and it doesn't seem that complex to code to me (I know bits of EVERYTHING). But all of this will mean a total re-right of the combat in minecraft, but this will make everything easier in the future so a week or 2 before an update that will make addons/future additions easier I would think it would be worth it.

Radical changes have been made to this overhaul, in order to simplify it for coding:

Medium armor removed

Boiled Leather removed

Chainmail and Plate both changed

Much simpler and easier to implement (might actually also be more fun ! :))

I would still like to see a full re-right of the fighting system. It was never well done in minecraft as it was made for MINING and CRAFTING and then it changed to be more like other games and the combat was never changed (I've been playing since BEFORE the nether).

I would still like to see a full re-right of the fighting system. It was never well done in minecraft as it was made for MINING and CRAFTING and then it changed to be more like other games and the combat was never changed (I've been playing since BEFORE the nether).

I too have been playing for a long time (I first played indev, but only started regularly in alpha), and share your sentiment. Many of the features in minecraft feel like they have been shoehorned in to a game that didn't want them, as a token gesture to fans who did. I hope to change that :)

But sometimes we have to take baby steps :P

My last draft of this overhaul was WAAAYYY to big a step, so I toned it down :)

K. Those where the days, no dragons, potions (I like them though), XP (cringe).

K. Those where the days, no dragons, potions (I like them though), XP (cringe).

I don't mind the dragons and potions, but XP really had no place :S

It just doesn't make sense or do anything beyond enchant ! T.T

I don't mind the dragons and potions, but XP really had no place :S

It just doesn't make sense or do anything beyond enchant ! T.T

And enchanting can be done with other things *cough* gems *cough* but I don't have any examples. :P

And enchanting can be done with other things *cough* gems *cough* but I don't have any examples. :P

Examples ? Nope, I can't think of anything either ;)

Enchating? What? Someone finally is talking about it again? My thoughts on XP, it is terrible because its XP and since you can only get it from combat however if we were to rename to energy or spirit or something that doesn't go against the entire name of the game that would be great. This system is great for forcing people to do stuff though, if you receive a reward for achievements everyone will do the achievements, this encourages people to do more things and gives people a push in the right direction rather than all this what should i do now talk. Its a decent system really they just executed it poorly.

Enchating? What? Someone finally is talking about it again? My thoughts on XP, it is terrible because its XP and since you can only get it from combat however if we were to rename to energy or spirit or something that doesn't go against the entire name of the game that would be great. This system is great for forcing people to do stuff though, if you receive a reward for achievements everyone will do the achievements, this encourages people to do more things and gives people a push in the right direction rather than all this what should i do now talk. Its a decent system really they just executed it poorly.

Haha :P I am too scared to even touch enchanting, the community is very demanding, in that any suggestion must be "believable" yet also still "magical". I think it's because half of the players on this mod (I think) were happy to see it go as they are in the "non-fantasy" camp :L

I never really felt the need to go after the achievements :P But then, I play this game because it is ultra sandbox, so I don't have to do what anyone tells me in game, I can run around and build my castle and hunt monsters etc. :P

Haha :P I am too scared to even touch enchanting, the community is very demanding, in that any suggestion must be "believable" yet also still "magical". I think it's because half of the players on this mod (I think) were happy to see it go as they are in the "non-fantasy" camp :L

Yes but on that point Bioxx still wants some of that fantasy feel to the mod/game as it is a part of minecraft.

Yes but on that point Bioxx still wants some of that fantasy feel to the mod/game as it is a part of minecraft.

I know, and that makes me happy :)

I would miss the skeletons if the game was made really realistic :(

eek...

Lol, I'm honored to have territory! :D

What if we made a "realistic" mode where we cut out things that don't exist just for the people who don't want it. That way we could have a little more freedom with our designs of the enchantment system and people would start actually writing ideas for catalysts, potions and more enchants!

What if we made a "realistic" mode where we cut out things that don't exist just for the people who don't want it. That way we could have a little more freedom with our designs of the enchantment system and people would start actually writing ideas for catalysts, potions and more enchants!

I agree with the sentiment, but don't really think that would work. And trust me, I really wish it would.

I have been a fantasy fan for as long as I can remember. I almost exclusively read high fantasy books and will usually avoid playing a game if it doesn't have at least an element of fantasy involved (unless it's medieval themed :D)

The point is, I would love for magic, enchanting, potions, dwarves, elves, goblins and a few overworld dragons to be implemented.

We may have a hope yet, in the form of add ons, but that will have to wait some time. (at least until the mod leaves beta and only then if Bioxx is up for/supports it)

But trust me, you won't be the only one fighting the fantasy corner when the time comes ;):P

Thank you. I've been thinking of something like that for some time now. It would allow for a very dynamic mod.

Also I have noticed how some people are against the thirst and sleep bar type thing would it also be possible to have a mode for that??

The modes would be called something like this:

Realistic

Realistic advanced - thirst bars and so on

Realistic hardcore - possibly with out the thirst it depends on what people would like

Fantasy

so on and so forth... You get the idea right??

Thank you. I've been thinking of something like that for some time now. It would allow for a very dynamic mod.

Also I have noticed how some people are against the thirst and sleep bar type thing would it also be possible to have a mode for that??

The modes would be called something like this:

Realistic

Realistic advanced - thirst bars and so on

Realistic hardcore - possibly with out the thirst it depends on what people would like

Fantasy

so on and so forth... You get the idea right??

Would it maybe not make more sense to just have a configuration option to tailor which features you wanted/didn't want ?

For example, I want hunger/thirst/sleep and enchanting, but if realistic disabled enchanting and enchanting disabled those bars .. You see where I'm going ?

I think we should avoid suggesting additional "modes", wait for the ability to develop addons and focus on putting out more of the wonderful suggestions everyone has been. :P

Fine with me now may I suggest if we are going to have addons we have addon support, like a in game mod manager???

It will make my job easier, less complaints when they don't work.

Fine with me now may I suggest if we are going to have addons we have addon support, like a in game mod manager???

It will make my job easier, less complaints when they don't work.

Oooh you can actually code ? :D

I can't :(

Well then, you'll know what you need more than me, but I really hope that Bioxx does implement a good amount of support for addon devs. There's so many suggestions here which deserve to exist. Even ones I wouldn't use personally :P