Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Incompatibility

Differing Generation Between SSP and SMP

17 posts in this topic

Now if we all put the seed "ohaider", we'd all get the same world in SSP. But when it comes to SMP, it's a slightly different story. Generating a new world with that seed will net you a insignificantly different world, until it comes to ores;

I have noticed that ores, along with a few blocks in rivers are different. Ores are not in the same spot, or even in the near vicinity to their SSP counterpart.

I tested a seed from the forums for 44 in SSP, and found that all of the claims of the poster were true. I dug down till I found an underground lava cavern and found extreme amounts of zinc. I generated a new world but only this time using the server. I logged in, went to the cavern, and explored it very thoroughly and found not even the slightest hint of zinc, or even saltpeter for that matter.

I have done so about once or twice whenever there is an update, and have gotten the same results. I could, however, just be insane but I'm beginning to think that the SMP worlds have significantly less ores in them than their SSP counterparts.

Now I know what you're thinking; "But incompatibility, just because you didn't find any ores in the exact same spot as before doesn't mean not as many ores spawn in SMP."

Or "Quite your bitching and look harder"

My beef is that if I find a good seed in SSP and want to play on it with my friends fresh, I want the ores in the same spot, or atleast in the same vicinity. Now there could be some underlying terrain generation code that Im unaware of, if so, enlighten me.

I will be posting pictures of evidence later. I have a really old example with vanilla mycelium not being in SMP but the SSP counterpart has it.

I suppose that would make sense.

Let's suppose someone is searching for an easy seed to start their server on, how would they do that? All they have to do is create a singleplayer map with the desired seed, which is much faster, then test it out to see if it's good, if so, just use that seed on your multiplayer server and ta-da!

Well that which you observed stops people from doing that.

Or, you know, it's something else. I dunno.

Yes, that's what I've currently done, but the only problem is that the unloaded chunks will be SMP chunks with lower ore yields. I just wish that the generation would be exactly the same.

I ran into this as well, it seems to be related to the level-name. You can generate the same seed in SMP with 2 different level-name and the ores will be in different places. I ran into this some versions ago, I needed to migrate the OS on my server and used a test machine to validate it. The SMP map we were on at the time had a large cassiterite deposit in a cliff not far from spawn and so it was immediately noticeable that something had changed when it was no longer there on a map regen. Seems like a bug to me, though I suppose it could be something done intentionally, I can't imagine why though.

So you're saying if I call the world something else each time I generate it, ores will be different?

E.g. First world "pie" no ore

e.g second world "cake" ore everywhere? (potentially)

Yes, changing the level-name parameter in the server.properties file seems to change where ore is found in the world.

Yes, changing the level-name parameter in the server.properties file seems to change where ore is found in the world.

hmm so your saying i could in theory predict where ores would spawn ?

Huh well that is strange but that explains why when using a Seed on single player had Peat near our planned settling spot, but when I put it on our server and it was just named "world" some ores had disappeared, and all that Peat was gone from the area as well as some Clay moving about.

Well I'll have to remember that for later on when we set up a new world.

Yea from now on I just generate the world in SSP, walk a fair distance away in all directions to load chunks, and I load it in SMP.

It may be possible to use the same level name / world name in SMP and SSP and get the same ore generation, I didn't try it though.

It may be possible to use the same level name / world name in SMP and SSP and get the same ore generation, I didn't try it though.

Good idea.

EDIT: nvm I realized that if you generate a world in SSP the world will always be the same if you use the same seed, regardless of actual world name.

That's true, I didn't even consider it. So it's just an SMP quirk then apparently.

Good idea.

EDIT: nvm I realized that if you generate a world in SSP the world will always be the same if you use the same seed, regardless of actual world name.

Having a hard time finding ores? Tired of digging for hours and finding nothing? Then this is the seed for you: easy

Or you can use 3105794 if you prefer numbers.

Go to 77,140 -- it's in some water, so start on the shore nearby around 85,165 -- and dig down to y=95. You will find a massive cassiterite deposit containing native copper and hematite inclusions. The location of the hematite deposits are around 77,130 108,165 and 90,120 (all at or near y=95).

As an extra bonus you'll also find some cinnabar. Happy mining!

Posted Image

seed = easy (3105794)

SMP I have dug to 77, 140 y=95 'no traces'

Tried on creative single player found it no problem.

I found there's 2 identical seeds only way you can tell the differences is in both you spawn in a swamp9 but one with willow trees and hickory and the other has ash and birch.

The landscape is exactly the same in fact the trees spawn in the same spots just the types of trees are different and the ore location is different.

The one with willow and hickory has the ore in the right spot, the other does not.

Edit: Tried loading the seed in both SSP and SMP I managed to get both maps at random regardless of world name.

seed = easy (3105794)

SMP I have dug to 77, 140 y=95 'no traces'

Tried on creative single player found it no problem.

I found there's 2 identical seeds only way you can tell the differences is in both you spawn in a swamp9 but one with willow trees and hickory and the other has ash and birch.

The landscape is exactly the same in fact the trees spawn in the same spots just the types of trees are different and the ore location is different.

The one with willow and hickory has the ore in the right spot, the other does not.

Edit: Tried loading the seed in both SSP and SMP I managed to get both maps at random regardless of world name.

Nobody can no longer say there is no ore in a world! :D

Edit: Sorry for the OT comment, didnt realize the pic was quoted from a different topic

you could just go into %appdata% .minecraft and then into saves open the folder that has the same name as the world that you found the zinc in and replace data, region level.dat level.dat_old and session.lock whit the ones that is in the folder named world that is in the folder you have the server in. i don't know if it is going to work but you can test :P

Exactly what we have been saying!

• Fixed an issue with the client and server operating off of different seeds. This was causing a whole host of issues.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0