Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pyrocantaes

Fishing

30 posts in this topic

Inspired by comments in the discussion thread, are we likely to get fish traps, or static lines, that we can place and then inspect from time to time to retrive any caught fish..

and whilst at it how about adding some crustations.. a nice juicey crab salad... mmmmm

and I suppose eels .. but then we'd need a smoker, and fruit leaves to flavour the smoke with

and then I suppose fish by biomes, and fish that can cross biomes at certain times of the year.. still it would give the bears something else to hunt..

I really like the idea of more complex fishing, but I would be surprised if it sees much attention. I suspect Bioxx has (please forgive me for this) bigger fish to fry :D

I really like the idea of more complex fishing, but I would be surprised if it sees much attention. I suspect Bioxx has (please forgive me for this) bigger fish to fry :D

My design decisions are typically based around the premise that I want every game to be unique for the player. This goes from the randomness of the rock layers per world to the anvil recipes changing in every world. This also includes the thought that I don’t want players to have every single crop easily in every single game. Perhaps in one world you survive in a Taiga as a hunter gatherer. Fishing in a nearby river, hunting deer, and gathering berries. Then in another world, you have a massive farm with Rice, Corn and Olive trees.

Also I think you're understating the importance of fishing in survival situations, but I'm a bit too busy to go into why at length at the moment. :U

On a related note, I'd like to see some ice fishing.

+1 id like to see more fishing addons

Also I think you're understating the importance of fishing in survival situations, but I'm a bit too busy to go into why at length at the moment. :U

I stand happily corrected :P

I am aware of the importance of fishing in a survival context. I've actually done courses on marine survival specifically (fish is your friend :P), and maintain a pretty active interest in general survival, both suburban and wild :)

However, as it is currently very easy to hunt land based animals and the game does not take into account nutritional value or the importance of a varied diet, fishing only currently plays a role as a very easily obtainable (though nutritionally inferior) food source. I would love to see this changed, to represent the, as you put it, importance of fishing in survival situations :P

I totally plus one this idea, especially the static lines and fish traps which would add a greater sense of a "living world" as well as a feeling of permanence around player settlements :)

I would like to see biome specific fish types, and even methods for fishing other then standing there clicking. Such as stretching a series of nets across a river, or crab/lobster traps. Even large cage traps you can lower off a pier for catching a variety of different things.

Even more i would love fish to actually be entities instead of magical things that bite on a fishing pole and suddenly appear when you reel in at the right time. Adding to this thought they could have breeding cycles. For instance salmon could migrate up rivers connected to oceans to lay their eggs and such, attracting bears even. Large ocean fish could migrate around the ocean , schools of fish even. However most of this would be quite an effort to include, and relevantly low on the priority list.

If I could, I'd make the fish take the lure and force you to have to reel them in based on the fish's strength and how much your rod was bending to try and gauge how best to prevent your line from snapping, but it looks like fish might just get yanked out of the water when they touch the lure. .____.

I never have seen a point in adding complexly-aqcuired flavoring to food in minecraft... you never really taste much except the sweet taste of recovering all your hp.

Who said anything about flavoring? Besides it just for a little creativity, plus we could add positive affects incorporated with spices

I've run into an SSP world where if I hadn't killed a spider and made a fishing rod, I'd have starved. I've come to appreciate the fishing rod for being another way to play the game and wouldn't mind seeing it get fleshed out a bit. Could always just add a fish mob like mo' creatures did, make it so hitting it with your hand doesn't hurt it and you have to use either a javelin or a fishing rod to catch it. Could then just add biome specific stats and sizes to it like the rest of the mobs have been getting.

I've run into an SSP world where if I hadn't killed a spider and made a fishing rod, I'd have starved. I've come to appreciate the fishing rod for being another way to play the game and wouldn't mind seeing it get fleshed out a bit. Could always just add a fish mob like mo' creatures did, make it so hitting it with your hand doesn't hurt it and you have to use either a javelin or a fishing rod to catch it. Could then just add biome specific stats and sizes to it like the rest of the mobs have been getting.

Fish are on the way, and have been for a few months, just there are other things that need doing. Fish will be susceptible to all damages, but will swim away quickly if you approach them. They will probably be attracted to the little fishing lure in the same way that bears and wolves are attracted to raw meat, and will try to touch the lure. Obviously, when a mob touches the lure on the rod, it gets yanked towards you. I might add a proper fishing mechanic.

Dunk,

. Also not sure if it means anything. ...Reeling is possible?

Dunk,

DUDE

IT'S JUST LIKE IN OCARINA OF TIME <3

Dunk,

That's awesome. The coder says he's got 50 different fish mobs already.

Dunk,

If the scripting already exists, may as well make use of it (Minus the explsove/teleporting lures)...

On the Other hand:

Fish are on the way, and have been for a few months, just there are other things that need doing. Fish will be susceptible to all damages, but will swim away quickly if you approach them. They will probably be attracted to the little fishing lure in the same way that bears and wolves are attracted to raw meat, and will try to touch the lure. Obviously, when a mob touches the lure on the rod, it gets yanked towards you. I might add a proper fishing mechanic.

Maybe we should wait for the developing one and see what happens. Of course, it's all up to Bioxx and his team

Maybe we should wait for the developing one and see what happens. Of course, it's all up to Bioxx and his team

Last I checked he is part of that team...

Last I checked he is part of that team...

That's why I quoted him, and That's why i made the point

I was reminding the discussion that their was something under development, and that the team would choose if they included or made use of the scripts in the video's mod. I do know that the "Developer" title hanging over his name makes him a Developer. Thanks

That's why I quoted him, and That's why i made the point

I was reminding the discussion that their was something under development, and that the team would choose if they included or made use of the scripts in the video's mod. I do know that the "Developer" title hanging over his name makes him a Developer. Thanks

Sorry I thought you where directing the comment at him and not to everyone else.

Dunk,

Our fish will be slightly different than these. What I noticed immediately about these fish is that they appear to be sprites taken from something else (i recognized them lol, but I won't mention where) and that they were flat, like items. TFC fish will be much more beefy, and are completely three-dimensional. TFC fish have their own realistic swimming animation. I don't want to say too much, (in case I decide to scrap some ideas) but the ai that is planned is full swimming animation plus schooling AI, swimming away rapidly from mobs that splash around in the water, when on land, they should flop around wildly on their side and slowly suffocate. They should path towards the bobber of the fishing rod, where they either will be immediately yanked out of the water towards the player, or a new, interactive fishing experience will occur. (If this is REALLY important to you guys, I could be convinced to make that for sure). The fishing would work by having the rod animated across a wide range of motions which depict how bent the rod is. The amount that the rod is bent shows how much tension is on the line (don't reel in when it bends!), and stronger fish bend the rod more. When the fish lets up, reel him in by holding right mouse button. Fish strength will be dependent on animal size. Reeling at the wrong time might cause a line snap, in which case you will need more line, or a rod snap, in which case you need an entirely new fishing rod. Might eliminate ability to grab items/other mobs with rod to vastly extend health/life-span of rod. Might add in new types of rod for increased strength or springy-ness. What do you guys think?

-snip-

Sounds awesome to me ! I really love the fact you aren't adding the fish as sprites, but full 3d mobs :D

This sounds to me like it's really making steps towards bringing the oceans to life, something which is direly needed :P

-snip-

that all sound great but i think it's missing a key element, bait. you can't just fish with a hook and bobber, you need some kind of bait. Bait also reflects the importants of managing your resources, as you could either A: eat the bait for instant gratification (only applies if you're fishing with something such as meat) or B: try to multiply the amount of food you have by using it as bait while risking losing the food. Of course, there should be more bait than just chopped meat, although chopped meat is a wonderful bait. Maybe dirt blocks could have a chance to drop a worm item, like the gravel does with flint.

that all sound great but i think it's missing a key element, bait. you can't just fish with a hook and bobber, you need some kind of bait. Bait also reflects the importants of managing your resources, as you could either A: eat the bait for instant gratification (only applies if you're fishing with something such as meat) or B: try to multiply the amount of food you have by using it as bait while risking losing the food. Of course, there should be more bait than just chopped meat, although chopped meat is a wonderful bait. Maybe dirt blocks could have a chance to drop a worm item, like the gravel does with flint.

There's tons of plausible bait elements to fishing. Worms, moths, crayfish, and bread chunks are all plausible baits. Maybe we could have some ambient mobs like moths/butterflies that you could catch with a net, and in turn use to catch higher-tier fish? Crayfish could be caught as a result of cage/trap fishing and could be eaten on their own. Maybe we could have a small spade or something that could be used to intentionally dig for worms, as getting them from just digging dirt would get annoying after a while.

That's just to name a few, too. There could be lures and weighting if you want to go further into fishing, but I think that might be needlessly complex.

What I noticed immediately about these fish is that they appear to be sprites taken from something else (i recognized them lol, but I won't mention where) and that they were flat, like items.

Animal Crossing, huh?

-snip-

Hell yeah to all of that. As for bait, using meat or bread would be a good stopgap measure for now, and maybe moths/worms/whatever could be added in later if the team felt it was needed.

This sounds really wonderful. I love the addition to new and complex mobs.

To be perfectly honest though, I hate minecraft fishing. It's boring and it's helluva lot easier to just go out and kill a cow. It also heals more. I'd love the ability to use nets or something so that fishing isn't quite so difficult in addition to this complex minigame so I can get food and then have fun for the heck of it when I'm not starving. :)

-snip-

bread is literally the worst bait I have ever used. It doesn't attract fish with smell and doesn't stay on the hook. The best bait is some form of meat, as it has a natural scent and is easy to keep a hook in.

I think bait is the farthest we should go, anything else is pretty simple for <35 pound fish.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0