Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Jed1314

The Wailing (1/2) An alien new realm

108 posts in this topic

The Wailing - An alien new dimension

None of this is remotely set in stone. The name could still change ("Lament" or "The Withering" are current alternatives. I will add more that I deem suitable as they are suggested.) Also, please post any pics you think will inspire. The blocks section needs love, so if you have any ideas, fire away :)

I will confess myself, this may be consigned to the realms of “would need to be an addon, way too big†but I want to get this out there !

I want to say thanks to Lumireaver (for helping to inspire this with his vision of the nether), EternalUndeath (for pushing me to do something far more creative than the original idea) and Justanotherguy (Because you're just so damn supportive !) :)

Prologue:

You are running, breathless but driven on by fear. Shadows lunge out at you, cast by the gargantuan pillars of rock which jut out of the otherwise barren landscape around you. You see an end to the claustrophobic walls of stone. A last burst of determination pushes you onwards and you break free of the oppressive landscape. You find yourself on a plateau surveying an alien, unfamiliar landscape, the sky is a dark hue of purple, a large bright moon sits motionless in the sky, casting an ethereal glow on all you survey. Gargantuan seas of teal, angry water, glowing mountains crackling with energy and in the distance, a mysterious, seemingly abandoned pyramid. Your reflections are cut short by the blood curdling screech of the creatures behind you.

Basic Premise: Overhaul enchantment and add a new dimension The Wailing !

New Features: The Wailing A new dimension ! :o

New Mobs Who are both terrifying and powerful. A real challenge for the end game players.

The Scourge A new threat, or something we are all familiar with ?

New Enchantment Mechanic To be elaborated on in another post

A New Ore And it's in the normal world !

Use of existing features: Very very little :S Gold and clay, and that’s about it.

The Wailing:

The Concept:
Black fear (as EternalUndeath put it). The feeling of being watched when the lights go out. The surreal and terrifying places our minds go to when we sleep sometimes. That time you took that really bad acid. The Wailing is meant to capture the feelings of discomfort, alienation and inexplicable fear we feel in these situations. It is the fear, not of death or fire or demons, but of the unknown, the unfamiliar and the unseen. It’s not hell, it’s strange and terrifying. It’s what the Ender should have been.

Travel To The Wailing:

Travel to the wailing will be done in two ways. The most simple of them is to smelt the Scourge ore down into a clay pot. As the ore will not have any stabilizing medium when out of the pot, it will allow massive amounts of energy to seep in at once when thrown to the ground. This will cause 2 things: A rift to the wailing will open and some monsters may spawn. This temporary rift will stay open for the entire night, but no longer. This must be done outside at night. If you attempt to open a rift during the day, the ingot will explode like tnt. If you attempt to open a portal underground, the pressure wave caused by the tear will cause a cave in, even if the roof is supported. The other option is to find a portal in a stronghold. These are effectively the same as the “ender portals†in vanilla, but instead of requiring eyes of ender, they require Scourge ingots. These portals also only open at night, meaning if you spend too long in the wailing, you will have to wait till the next night to get back. For emergency returns, gold in a clay pot (which is unstable in the wailing unless alloyed) can be thrown down, to create a rift back through to the normal world. It is important to note, however, that other monsters may follow you back through either portal. With strongholds presenting enough of a weak spot in the fabric for more powerful monsters.

The Landscape:

Rather than try to explain this, I will show you the pictures that have inspired me, then go on to elaborate.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I envision a landscape like those above. The sky would be a dark shade of purple, with a huge, unmoving moon. The surroundings would be more than bright enough to see in, but all the light cast would be a shade of blue/white (as it is cast from the moon). The landscape is barren, yet not boring, as it is filled with alien rock formations like the first picture, as well as large seas. There would be bogs with semi submerged trees, they would be horrible place, like the dead marshes of LOTR. As well as this, there would be mountains covered in luminescent blocks, as in the third picture. The mayan style pyramids play an important role which will be discussed later, however, they will dot the landscape in two forms, small individual temples and large, towering temple complexes. They look abandoned and run down, but are they ?

The Blocks:

There would be a wide range of blocks in the Wailing. I do not feel up to coming up with them alone though, so all suggestions are welcome and will be considered

The Inhabitants:

The Wailing would be a very dangerous place, suitable only for late game players who could handle the mobs here. I will not go into massive detail here, to avoid the thread becoming any longer.

Thralls A light violet human like creature, twisted and malformed. Shorter than Steve, as their bent backs and stunted growth keep them around 1.5 blocks high.

The Bone Lords Are towering figures at 3.5 blocks tall, wearing full plate and carrying a greatsword. They live in vast temple complexes.

The Faceless Ones Porcelain white creatures, they have no facial features or hair, only mouths full of jagged crooked teeth. They are small and slight, slim and 1.5 blocks tall. They gather in groups of 2 or 3

Flesh Giants The second largest mob in this realm, flesh giants are huge, hulking abominations. They are not one being, but many, melted together by the energy of The Withering. Everywhere they go, the moans of suffering of it's many constituent parts travels ahead of them. They are 4.5 blocks tall

Skitterer These monsters are twisted and contorted, bent over backwards, they crawl slowly on all fours. As soon as they spot you, they freeze for a second, then let out a screech and sprint rapidly towards you.

Strider Towering insect like creatures, they stand well over 10 blocks tall. You are as insignificant as an ant to them and they will totally ignore you unless provoked. Black and chitinous, covered in razor sharp spikes with large, intimidating mandibles, they paint an intimidating picture.

Inspiration for the mobs:

Posted Image

The Scourge:

Basic Explanation:
The Scourge is an ore of sorts. It represents “seepage†from the wailing into our world. In my vision of Scourge lore it is the reason that zombies and skeletons rise from the dead to attack steve at night. It is not “magical energy made solid†but water from the oceans of the Wailing which has reacted, bonded and stabilized with rock in the earths crust. The presence of this liquid allows a constant trickle of energy from the wailing to spread out into the world. This is un-noticable during the daylight hours, as the energy rapidly converts into heat in sunlight (explaining why the zombies and skele’s catch fire as they are imbued with massive quantities of “wailing Energyâ€). However, at night and in the dark the energy is able to manifest itself, primarily by reanimating corpses.

As The Scourge is a physical object, it can be found in the world. Every biome that spawns would have a small chance of spawning a “vein†of Scourge. This “ore†is the key to travel to the wailing.

The ore:

The ore would be found at great depths, close to the bedrock. It would be detectable with the propick. In addition, a ringing sound will play, which will change in volume depending on your distance from the ore. When the ore is exposed to air, a few things happen:

The ringing sound stops. As does all other sound. This will happen for 5 seconds. After these seconds sound will return, accompanied with the ringing sound again, but slightly louder. From this point you have another 10 seconds to mine the ore. If it is not destroyed after 10 seconds, several monsters will spawn due to the Scourge destabilizing. Once you have the ore, you can return to the surface.

Recent Edits: Changed inhabitants section to reflect the new mobs envisioned by Eternal and myself

Uploaded a new inspiration picture for the mobs

... It's... it's... it's even better than what i thinked @__@... arghh, my eyes! >__< *blinded by the post's awesomeness*(?)

Ok, ok, enough of that xD

I really like this dimension, it looks like a better hell that the nether itself... In fact, you remember, in your hardcore mode post, you said one of the side effects of the lack of sleep was hallucinations? how about this: for rising the unknown feeling of the dimension, whenever you're in there, some very, VERY low noises play, high enought for the player to hear it, but not enought to tell if it was his own imagination or the game. Also, visual hallucinations as stated in the mentioned post.

Another thing: Make the Thralls be camouflaged with his environment, and don't make any noises until they are attacking you. Also, make them likely to attack you from the back.

My idea? to scare the cr+p out of any player who dares to go there... MUAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJ- *cough cough* ejem... JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA!!!!! >:3

... It's... it's... it's even better than what i thinked @__@... arghh, my eyes! >__< *blinded by the post's awesomeness*(?)

Ok, ok, enough of that xD

I really like this dimension, it looks like a better hell that the nether itself... In fact, you remember, in your hardcore mode post, you said one of the side effects of the lack of sleep was hallucinations? how about this: for rising the unknown feeling of the dimension, whenever you're in there, some very, VERY low noises play, high enought for the player to hear it, but not enought to tell if it was his own imagination or the game. Also, visual hallucinations as stated in the mentioned post.

Another thing: Make the Thralls be camouflaged with his environment, and don't make any noises until they are attacking you. Also, make them likely to attack you from the back.

My idea? to scare the cr+p out of any player who dares to go there... MUAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJ- *cough cough* ejem... JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA!!!!! >:3

I wanted to include hallucinations, but thought that would be overkill on the scary :P

Thralls could have some kind of camouflage yeah :)

Not gonna lie man, you captured my idea of 'black fear' perfectly. You took Doom and turned it into Silent Hill.

This is fucking brilliant, and earns all of my +1s, and many more if I could give them. Utterly sublime.

If I had to critique it (and I do, since otherwise I can't pretend I'm the TFC version of Yahzee), I'd say that the whole hierarchy with the mobs feels a little forced and... quite frankly silly. Vanilla mobs are a perfect example of what to do in a good sandbox game, because they're fairly balanced. The tank, the ranger, the suicide bomber, the acrobat, and the posioner - all equal challenges, but all very different at the same time, with widely varied strategies required for taking them on effectively.

The Wailing deserves the same caliber of balance, but... what doesn't kill you, makes you stranger. I'm talking some crazy shit here - mobs that look like a gymnast bent over backwards on all 4s rushing at you on mismatched limbs, needle-thin mobs 3 blocks tall that dash across the landscape like they've got IC2 quantum leggings on, able to jump 2 blocks up at a clip, gargantuan walkers that stride across the landscape with their 6 legs 10 blocks high each - passive normally, but able to utterly wreck your shit when provoked

Not gonna lie man, you captured my idea of 'black fear' perfectly. You took Doom and turned it into Silent Hill.

This is fucking brilliant, and earns all of my +1s, and many more if I could give them. Utterly sublime.

Thanks :) It just all felt so right, it practically wrote itself :P

If I had to critique it (and I do, since otherwise I can't pretend I'm the TFC version of Yahzee)

Criticism is necessary to make the idea even better ! :P

the whole hierarchy with the mobs feels a little forced and... quite frankly silly. Vanilla mobs are a perfect example of what to do in a good sandbox game, because they're fairly balanced. The tank, the ranger, the suicide bomber, the acrobat, and the posioner - all equal challenges, but all very different at the same time, with widely varied strategies required for taking them on effectively.

The Wailing deserves the same caliber of balance

Edit: Bit was missing, don't know why :S I agree, I think it may be better to go back to basics (relatively speaking) as regards the mobs. The only thing I won't budge on is the Bone Lords, I fell in love with the idea as soon as I saw that picture *swoon* :P Also, I feel thralls could be suitably weird, although they would be separated from the Bone Lords :)

what doesn't kill you, makes you stranger. I'm talking some crazy shit here - mobs that look like a gymnast bent over backwards on all 4s rushing at you on mismatched limbs, needle-thin mobs 3 blocks tall that dash across the landscape like they've got IC2 quantum leggings on, able to jump 2 blocks up at a clip, gargantuan walkers that stride across the landscape with their 6 legs 10 blocks high each - passive normally, but able to utterly wreck your shit when provoked

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This one gave me an idea for some kind of horrible human abomination :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some of these are too modern, but they could act as suitable inspiration no doubt :)

Thanks :) It just all felt so right, it practically wrote itself :P

Criticism is necessary to make the idea even better ! :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This one gave me an idea for some kind of horrible human abomination :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some of these are too modern, but they could act as suitable inspiration no doubt :)

In order-

Yes, but upside down - you know, bent over backwards instead of forewards

Same as 1

Yeah pretty much, but a little more monstrous

I came

PERFECT.

Nope, Chuck Testa.

In order-

Yes, but upside down - you know, bent over backwards instead of forewards

Same as 1

Yeah pretty much, but a little more monstrous

I came

PERFECT.

Nope, Chuck Testa.

The last one I felt was out of place as well, but I am fond of the "Tortured Souls" series, sadly most of the figurines just display people in varying states of suffering, so it was difficult to find something suitably "mobby" :P

Yeah, I couldn't find an image of the "long armed weird fucker" upsidedown :P

We definitely need a "faceless" mob, there is something so terrifying about them :P

The last one I felt was out of place as well, but I am fond of the "Tortured Souls" series, sadly most of the figurines just display people in varying states of suffering, so it was difficult to find something suitably "mobby" :P

Yeah, I couldn't find an image of the "long armed weird fucker" upsidedown :P

We definitely need a "faceless" mob, there is something so terrifying about them :P

Here's what I was after, sort of:

Posted Image

Only you know, not human.

Also, all of my love on the faceless mob idea.

Here's what I was after, sort of:

-snip-

Only you know, not human.

Also, all of my love on the faceless mob idea.

Yeah, I knew where I could find a couple of pics of things crawling backwards, but I have a crippling phobia of children/girls in horror movies, so I really try to avoid that kind of stuff :L It sounds horrendously girly, and it's painfully ironic if you know me, because I'm a fairly big guy, who is scared of little girls :P

I will alter the mob section to reflect these changes, can we try and tie it down to 5/6 mobs ?

Yeah, I knew where I could find a couple of pics of things crawling backwards, but I have a crippling phobia of children/girls in horror movies, so I really try to avoid that kind of stuff :L It sounds horrendously girly, and it's painfully ironic if you know me, because I'm a fairly big guy, who is scared of little girls :P

I will alter the mob section to reflect these changes, can we try and tie it down to 5/6 mobs ?

Of course! :3

Heading out to eat atm but I'll return full of ideas!

I will alter it in the morning then :P I'm up for work in like 6 hours >.<

Happy dining !

A brillant idea, good sir but intend to make it just a little better still. I trust everyone has seen inception, so if dreams can exist within dreams, can't nightmares exist within nightmares, than i thought of the post about the seven layers of tartarus what if there were seven layers of nightmares (layers being worlds). We start with something like the twilight forest, then slowly move down to this which should in memory of Inception be called limbo. We could dash the portal idea and only make it possible to get there under certain circumstances when you go to sleep. Then you sleep in the twilight forest and then the Nether and then a couple others all the way to limbo the scariest but most resource rich world ever. Perhaps it could go the other way also going upwards to the Aether or Tropirealm.

A brillant idea, good sir but intend to make it just a little better still. I trust everyone has seen inception, so if dreams can exist within dreams, can't nightmares exist within nightmares, than i thought of the post about the seven layers of tartarus what if there were seven layers of nightmares (layers being worlds). We start with something like the twilight forest, then slowly move down to this which should in memory of Inception be called limbo. We could dash the portal idea and only make it possible to get there under certain circumstances when you go to sleep. Then you sleep in the twilight forest and then the Nether and then a couple others all the way to limbo the scariest but most resource rich world ever. Perhaps it could go the other way also going upwards to the Aether or Tropirealm.

Ehhhh, but now we're entering the territory of "Too big to manage in 1 mod"

The OP in the first place is skirting the borders of this land, but your post is boldly walking right on in, dropping trou, and waggling its joybits at the locals

That idea is way too huge not to be spread across multiple mods and developers.

With respect to blocks, we've already covered scourge, but we'll need a dirt analogue.

...What about carapace blocks? If we also substitute the stone for a blue-ish fleshy substance (perhaps called Dermatite?), it'll be left up to the player's imagination whether or not you're on a world or just a creature of incomprehensible size. I think an overarching theme here should be 'you are an ant walking among giants, who neither know of your existence nor care'. Hence the passive striders. It adds a lot to the isolationist component of the black fear we discussed.

Don't take this the wrong way but I highly doubt this will ever make it in TFC, mostly because it feels like it should be a whole new mod.

Ulfengaard approves of your idea. Do this very much.

That is all...

In seriousness, this is what I wanted from the nether. My interest is seriously piqued, and I would love to see this in my world. Nice work.

I've been sort of pushing for new dimensions, but the rest of the team isn't as on board.

As for scary end game stuff.... my ideas for the ender dragon will make you sh*t your pants. :)

This is like Lovecraft in Minecraft. I kind of want the name of the dimension to be r'lyeh.

Fantastic idea, anyways.

This is like Lovecraft in Minecraft. I kind of want the name of the dimension to be r'lyeh.

Fantastic idea, anyways.

...but r'lyeh was one sunken island, not a dimension

I've been sort of pushing for new dimensions, but the rest of the team isn't as on board.

As for scary end game stuff.... my ideas for the ender dragon will make you sh*t your pants. :)

To take those in order-

That sucks, please try to persuade them because this is about the best suggestion I have yet seen on these forums

and

Doubt it, dragons are totally my thing. I cannot be scared by any reincarnation of the enderdragon conceivable, I'll bet ya

Great idea, but... The landscape seems TOO dark. And trust me, when it comes to minecraft the best way to create strange feelings is to have colors of different spectrum. So your shades of purple and the hues that uses, but you'll want a red or orange mixed in to break the monotony, but only just randomly, so the player see's it and goes, "Was that a mob, or something else. Oh, it's a brick, or is it? What was that?" Also bright colors or colors that clash help create a blinding effect. Camouflage maybe????

Don't take this the wrong way but I highly doubt this will ever make it in TFC, mostly because it feels like it should be a whole new mod.

An addon maybe for TF Craft???

*Now wheres that guide I sore for coding new dimensions???*

If you find it show me I'm interested now.

I will if I find it, it was on the MC Forums in the guide part the person who did it had done several other guides, but I don't know if it went into it deeply.

hmm i have an idea

what if there was no "water" in this realm

one idea that came to mind comes from the book series "keys to the kingdom" by garth nix

water could be replaced wit ha substance called "nothing"

"nothing" is not matter nor is it anti matter

in the books it was the material all of the universe was made from

the material is deadly to all forms of matter, and when life forms come into contact with the substance, they are dissolved only to be reformed as a Nythling.

Nythings can take on any random shape / form (it doesn t even need to be a life form) and may sometimes be coherent to whats going on around them in the world, though they are driven mad from pain and the slow degradation from the Nothing they are made from

nothing may be "forged" into things (nythlings, tools, items etc) but only people with great enchantment powers can truely work with nothing or face destruction from what they created.

all things in this realm are made from "nothing" thats why everything seems organic (as the world its self is one gigantic Nythling)

this was just a random thought as i think the idea of "nothing" could be an interesting addition :)

-snip-

I really like the idea, but I fear Eternal is right :/

Coding one extra dimension is hard already, but 7 ?

They'd either all be quite poor and "empty" feeling, or it would take a big team a long time to release it as a separate mod :P

With respect to blocks, we've already covered scourge, but we'll need a dirt analogue.

...What about carapace blocks? If we also substitute the stone for a blue-ish fleshy substance (perhaps called Dermatite?), it'll be left up to the player's imagination whether or not you're on a world or just a creature of incomprehensible size. I think an overarching theme here should be 'you are an ant walking among giants, who neither know of your existence nor care'. Hence the passive striders. It adds a lot to the isolationist component of the black fear we discussed.

I LOVE this idea. Am I on a planet, or just a parasite on the back of an inconceivably large creature. That could only add to the unease :D

I will ponder this and see if I can come up with some extra details, and I'll add it to the OP :)

I did acknowledge that at the start of the post

I will never take constructive criticism the wrong way ! :)

-ship-.

Thanks man :D

That's such a shame :( Hopefully, this may see the light of day as a mod/addon :P

I am excited now :D