Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Jed1314

The Wailing (1/2) An alien new realm

108 posts in this topic

hmm i have an idea

what if there was no "water" in this realm

one idea that came to mind comes from the book series "keys to the kingdom" by garth nix

water could be replaced wit ha substance called "nothing"

"nothing" is not matter nor is it anti matter

in the books it was the material all of the universe was made from

the material is deadly to all forms of matter, and when life forms come into contact with the substance, they are dissolved only to be reformed as a Nythling.

Nythings can take on any random shape / form (it doesn t even need to be a life form) and may sometimes be coherent to whats going on around them in the world, though they are driven mad from pain and the slow degradation from the Nothing they are made from

nothing may be "forged" into things (nythlings, tools, items etc) but only people with great enchantment powers can truely work with nothing or face destruction from what they created.

all things in this realm are made from "nothing" thats why everything seems organic (as the world its self is one gigantic Nythling)

this was just a random thought as i think the idea of "nothing" could be an interesting addition :)

I remember reading those, I got up to Friday then there where no more books released so I stopped. I like the idea it fits with the idea of the world.

hmm i have an idea

one idea that came to mind comes from the book series "keys to the kingdom" by garth nix

the material is deadly to all forms of matter, and when life forms come into contact with the substance, they are dissolved only to be reformed as a Nythling.

Nythings can take on any random shape / form (it doesn t even need to be a life form) and may sometimes be coherent to whats going on around them in the world, though they are driven mad from pain and the slow degradation from the Nothing they are made from

nothing may be "forged" into things (nythlings, tools, items etc) but only people with great enchantment powers can truely work with nothing or face destruction from what they created.

all things in this realm are made from "nothing" thats why everything seems organic (as the world its self is one gigantic Nythling)

this was just a random thought as i think the idea of "nothing" could be an interesting addition :)

There is actually water in the "Keys To The Kingdom" series (It features heavily in "Drowned Wednesday") but I understand the sentiment of this post definitely. I suspect placing "nothing" as the most powerful resource in game would be heavily contested by other forum users :P

That said, I feel the idea and the concept have a lot of potential :)

We'll see what other users say when they come online later :P

There is actually water in the "Keys To The Kingdom" series (It features heavily in "Drowned Wednesday") but I understand the sentiment of this post definitely. I suspect placing "nothing" as the most powerful resource in game would be heavily contested by other forum users :P

That said, I feel the idea and the concept have a lot of potential :)

We'll see what other users say when they come online later :P

What I think he is saying is that you need HIGH 'level'/tier enchantments to do anything with it or you will die. :/

What I think he is saying is that you need HIGH 'level'/tier enchantments to do anything with it or you will die. :/

I could definitely get on board with something that would fuck your shit up if you weren't powerful enough to handle it :P

Great idea, but... The landscape seems TOO dark. And trust me, when it comes to minecraft the best way to create strange feelings is to have colors of different spectrum. So your shades of purple and the hues that uses, but you'll want a red or orange mixed in to break the monotony, but only just randomly, so the player see's it and goes, "Was that a mob, or something else. Oh, it's a brick, or is it? What was that?" Also bright colors or colors that clash help create a blinding effect. Camouflage maybe????

If I was going for just a "strange" world I would be inclined to agree, but this place is meant to represent fear in minecraft. We're talking balls to the wall, makes herobrine look like a teddy kind of uneasy, unfamiliar fear :P

Important Edit: Should I go on to explain my new suggestion for an enchantment system, which makes use of both The Nether and The Wailing, as well as the overworld in The Wailing (2/2) ? I haven't started drafting it yet, so if you think I shouldn't, and should leave this as a "stand alone" suggestion, now is the time to tell me !

I could definitely get on board with something that would fuck your shit up if you weren't powerful enough to handle it :P

one of the ideas i had for "working" with nothing was you would need to remember a specific set of sentences

or phrases like how "Denizens" work with "nothing"

if you got them wrong you could only get two outcomes

(1) an explosion of nothing that kills you

(2) a misshapen form of the tool or item you tryed to create

the more advanced to item to be create the more nothing / skill is needed (though even attempting to use nothing will kill you if you aren t powerful enough)

actually that would be fairly funny to see some "indentured Denizens" as slaves to the all mighty bone lords :D

God, i don't see this post for 11 hours and it suddenly has 2 pages! oh well, i will answer what i think is the more important suggetstion in the thread -after, you know... the one in the OP :P-

hmm i have an idea

I do love this idea, but i have a question... As everything in the wailing is made of nothing, it means the nothing can take multiple forms... including metals -please read the rest before saying anything-. Then, when you manage to work "nothing" in an anvil, you make nothing tools, or tools out of any metal/material nothing can become?

-Also, i think i screw up while writing the question... it would be so much easy if i could write it in spanish xD-

[

if you got them wrong you could only get two outcomes

(1) an explosion of nothing that kills you

(2) a misshapen form of the tool or item you tryed to create

the more advanced to item to be create the more nothing / skill is needed (though even attempting to use nothing will kill you if you aren t powerful enough)

actually that would be fairly funny to see some "indentured Denizens" as slaves to the all mighty bone lords :D

I was thinking about handling enchantment in my next post on "The Wailing", but I'm not sure if I want to, as it might pull down the quality/viability of this surprisingly popular suggestion :P

Hence why I asked the readers if they want me to go into enchanting or not :)

I do love this idea, but i have a question... As everything in the wailing is made of nothing, it means the nothing can take multiple forms... including metals -please read the rest before saying anything-. Then, when you manage to work "nothing" in an anvil, you make nothing tools, or tools out of any metal/material nothing can become?

-Also, i think i screw up while writing the question... it would be so much easy if i could write it in spanish xD-

No your question makes sense :) You are asking if the tools would be made out of the material "nothing" or if they would be made out of anything that "nothing" can become ? (Man that sentence is confusing for me, and I am a native English speaker :P)

I don't know, I've not thought about it that much :L

Hmmm...

Now, I feel that basic enchants and the resources need to start enchanting should be available in the overworld.

Moderate strength enchants should also require hell components

The absolute highest tier of materials and magicks should be available to those who can brave the Wailing/Lament and survive with their sanity intact

Hmmm...

Now, I feel that basic enchants and the resources need to start enchanting should be available in the overworld.

Moderate strength enchants should also require hell components

The absolute highest tier of materials and magicks should be available to those who can brave the Wailing/Lament and survive with their sanity intact

That is indeed what I was thinking :)

If you're interested, I was considering implicating quenching enchanted tools in water from the sea there as part of the top level enchanting process. (This would have to be protected or stabilised in some way, as the lore clearly sets out it is highly reactive in earth's atmosphere :P, Perhaps you would have to do the actual enchant IN The Wailing)

[

I was thinking about handling enchantment in my next post on "The Wailing", but I'm not sure if I want to, as it might pull down the quality/viability of this surprisingly popular suggestion :P

Hence why I asked the readers if they want me to go into enchanting or not :)

No your question makes sense :) You are asking if the tools would be made out of the material "nothing" or if they would be made out of anything that "nothing" can become ? (Man that sentence is confusing for me, and I am a native English speaker :P)

I don't know, I've not thought about it that much :L

the idea is that "nothing" can be converted into other materials

think of like how UU matter works in industrial craft

"nothing" could have been manipulated by the Bone lords to create there world

the hole world could be in a state of flux as the "nothing" harnessed to create the world would be slowly eroding its way free of its bonds (hence the odd landscape) this could also explain the "seepage" from the Wailing as nothing could have escaped in small pockets out into the rest of the universe

If I was going for just a "strange" world I would be inclined to agree, but this place is meant to represent fear in minecraft. We're talking balls to the wall, makes herobrine look like a teddy kind of uneasy, unfamiliar fear :P

Important Edit: Should I go on to explain my new suggestion for an enchantment system, which makes use of both The Nether and The Wailing, as well as the overworld in The Wailing (2/2) ? I haven't started drafting it yet, so if you think I shouldn't, and should leave this as a "stand alone" suggestion, now is the time to tell me !

I think we have some ideas for enchanting already, lol. As for the fear factor, I've always found something that is slow, methodical, and un-ending; something that feels ancient, and unthinking and that you feel powerless to stop...

I think we have some ideas for enchanting already, lol. As for the fear factor, I've always found something that is slow, methodical, and un-ending; something that feels ancient, and unthinking and that you feel powerless to stop...

You may like the concept for what the world is then :)

Right now we are going on the assumption that it may well be a huge chitinous creature you are merely living on. Not visible, but interesting nonetheless I think :P

Exactly what we've been going for

That oppressive, alien feel like you've just lumbered into a Lovecraft novel that you don't get to put down.

Exactly what we've been going for

That oppressive, alien feel like you've just lumbered into a Lovecraft novel that you don't get to put down.

I wish I could add editing rights to the op for you some way :P .. I would say you deserve equal credit in this suggestion :L

I remember seeing a creepy thread that had a gif of this creature that walked on all fours and had a face like one of those porcelain masks. there was a terrified woman hiding from it. the creature walks up to her and slowly comes up behind her, then it looks at her revealing something resembling a plague doctor mask. The monster pulls its hand, who's fingers are all syringes, and begins to move for the woman's neck.

If you could make that mob in minecraft, i think that it could carry the entire realm on its scary back.

err... for some reason, it sounds like "The Unborn"'s monster to me, Fred...

Not sure if the guys who made it would be happy to see it in a mod :

I remember seeing a creepy thread that had a gif of this creature that walked on all fours and had a face like one of those porcelain masks. there was a terrified woman hiding from it. the creature walks up to her and slowly comes up behind her, then it looks at her revealing something resembling a plague doctor mask. The monster pulls its hand, who's fingers are all syringes, and begins to move for the woman's neck.

If you could make that mob in minecraft, i think that it could carry the entire realm on its scary back.

What you are describing is a scene from the poughkeepsie tapes. Brilliant shit.

Although Marble Hornets was also brilliant shit, and Notch managed to turn that into the enderman, so... brilliant inspiration doesn't always beget brilliant execution, I guess

I wish I could add editing rights to the op for you some way :P .. I would say you deserve equal credit in this suggestion :L

Bah, I'm just a very mouthy contributor, lol

err... for some reason, it sounds like "The Unborn"'s monster to me, Fred...

Not sure if the guys who made it would be happy to see it in a mod :

I've only seen the gif, so i really have no idea what i'm talking about in regards to anything else. I was just thinking of something that was strange and malevolent. You know it's there, you know it's going to attack you, and you're not sure if you should cheese it or beat it to death with a sword. As eternal already said, something slow that won't stop coming at you.

What you are describing is a scene from the poughkeepsie tapes. Brilliant shit.

Although Marble Hornets was also brilliant shit, and Notch managed to turn that into the enderman, so... brilliant inspiration doesn't always beget brilliant execution, I guess

The problem was that he made them super common, as well as docile as hell. The fact that you can get kill one by setting it on fire and avoid one by jumping in a lake is really stupid too. If this monster was more rare, yet really difficult to kill once it spawns near you, it would be more terrifying.

It's ideas like these that make me really wish TFC had a larger modding community. We need end game content.

Not gonna lie man, you captured my idea of 'black fear' perfectly. You took Doom and turned it into Silent Hill.

This is fucking brilliant, and earns all of my +1s, and many more if I could give them. Utterly sublime.

If I had to critique it (and I do, since otherwise I can't pretend I'm the TFC version of Yahzee), I'd say that the whole hierarchy with the mobs feels a little forced and... quite frankly silly. Vanilla mobs are a perfect example of what to do in a good sandbox game, because they're fairly balanced. The tank, the ranger, the suicide bomber, the acrobat, and the posioner - all equal challenges, but all very different at the same time, with widely varied strategies required for taking them on effectively.

The Wailing deserves the same caliber of balance, but... what doesn't kill you, makes you stranger. I'm talking some crazy shit here - mobs that look like a gymnast bent over backwards on all 4s rushing at you on mismatched limbs, needle-thin mobs 3 blocks tall that dash across the landscape like they've got IC2 quantum leggings on, able to jump 2 blocks up at a clip, gargantuan walkers that stride across the landscape with their 6 legs 10 blocks high each - passive normally, but able to utterly wreck your shit when provoked

I'd like a challenge, though, to fight against in my black steel armor.

A brillant idea, good sir but intend to make it just a little better still. I trust everyone has seen inception, so if dreams can exist within dreams, can't nightmares exist within nightmares, than i thought of the post about the seven layers of tartarus what if there were seven layers of nightmares (layers being worlds). We start with something like the twilight forest, then slowly move down to this which should in memory of Inception be called limbo. We could dash the portal idea and only make it possible to get there under certain circumstances when you go to sleep. Then you sleep in the twilight forest and then the Nether and then a couple others all the way to limbo the scariest but most resource rich world ever. Perhaps it could go the other way also going upwards to the Aether or Tropirealm.

Extremely content-heavy. And though sleeping with a certain item is always a good way to segway into a nightmare world, there's already so much to progress through to be making even better items.

I had an idea for something that would actually be a challenge to fight. A mob that was like the spider but didn't take any knockback, that way you can't stunlock the mob.

Extremely content-heavy. And though sleeping with a certain item is always a good way to segway into a nightmare world, there's already so much to progress through to be making even better items.

That remembered me.. weren't Jeb/Notch going to implement a dimension at which you could only access sometimes when sleeping, or something like that? ._.

I had an idea for something that would actually be a challenge to fight. A mob that was like the spider but didn't take any knockback, that way you can't stunlock the mob.

Yep, a real challenge. It's not like anyone completely relied on that knockback to defeat spiders, no no no... :( *<------ had played in peaceful mode for nearly 3 years, and recently decided to start playing normal...*

Yep, a real challenge. It's not like anyone completely relied on that knockback to defeat spiders, no no no... :( *<------ had played in peaceful mode for nearly 3 years, and recently decided to start playing normal...*

When a spider is pounding at you, you have two choices. move out of the way or slap it in the face. Moving out of the way is more difficult, given the size of the spider, while slapping it in the face usually stops it in its tracks. Without knockback you'd have to actually move around the mob in a way that makes it difficult for it to advance on you, especially since the mob can jump three blocks. If you can't move left or right, the only way to stop the mob from advancing is to kill it. If you removed the knockback from all the mobs, i can guarantee the game would be more difficult.

weren't Jeb/Notch going to implement a dimension at which you could only access sometimes when sleeping, or something like that?

Yes, but they scrapped the skylands and decided to change them into The End instead

Yes, but they scrapped the skylands and decided to change them into The End instead

that's like trading a tub of icecream for a cupcake made of dirt.