Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Jed1314

The Wailing (1/2) An alien new realm

108 posts in this topic

Yes, but they scrapped the skylands and decided to change them into The End instead

Another reason why I don't play unmodded Minecraft any more.

that's like trading a tub of icecream for a cupcake made of dirt.

And yes so true!!

...but r'lyeh was one sunken island, not a dimension

But it's also a joke that people could understand and laugh at. As far as I know, the original Lovecraft novels didn't name the origin of any Old Ones.

...Must...Break...Lovecraft...Addiction...

But it's also a joke that people could understand and laugh at. As far as I know, the original Lovecraft novels didn't name the origin of any Old Ones.

...Must...Break...Lovecraft...Addiction...

If by original, you mean his first ones, then no

If by original, then you mean the ones he actually wrote himself, then yes in fact they did

The main cast (Azathoth, Shub Niggurath, Dagon, Nyarlahotep, Yig, and Yog-Sothoth) are entities who exist mostly spiritually, though some - notably Nyarlahotep, Yig, Dagon, and on rare occasion Shub Niggurath - occasionally take physical form. These beings are largely conceptual, since Nyarlahotep is the concept of 'void' made sentient, and Azathoth is creation itself. Yog Sothoth in particular is the universe. It is all places and all times.

Cthulhu, on the other tentacle, is not truly a great old one.

"He is to them as the son of a father's brother"- The Necronomicon

Essentially this places him as a 'cousin'. He has a corporeal body that exists on a world far from ours - not even of our galaxy. His will is merely so great that he projects his essence across space and uses the materials of our own world to manifest a physical body. By sheer force of will, he coalesces the air and earth into a physical body, which is obviously immune from all damage since he can easily recorporate himself.

This is why the Shoggoth was developed to combat him, because not only do they dissolve flesh, but they are eaters of souls as well. By damaging his physical form they also damage the essence he projects, preventing him from reforming himself. It was for the creation of these shoggoth that the progenitor race who created humans were destroyed by great Cthulhu's armies before the shoggoth could be put to effective use on the battlefield. However, the elder race were crafty, and the few who survived crept to Rl'yeh and crafted the Great Seal of the Old Ones upon the door of the sleeping god, concentrating the baleful colors of the stars of earth, which are poisonous to his coalesced form. This prevents him from leaving his fortress, which they then sunk below the waves so that even his great mind would be silenced by the miles of water crushing down on his resting place. Although when the stars in their eternal dance are least abhorrent to him, Rl'yeh is risen from the sea for a night, and he calls to the weak minds of men to free him. Thus far, none have made it to the sunken city in time to perform the deed, but in time...

That is not dead

Which can eternal lie

And with strange aeons

Even death may die

...is it sad that I typed this all out in one go, without having to look any of it up?

-snip-

And I thought I had memorised everything =(

Time to dissapear from society for a week while I Lovecraft binge. Again.

And I thought I had memorised everything =(

Time to dissapear from society for a week while I Lovecraft binge. Again.

I recommend Tyson's translation of the Necronomicon

Clears up quite a lot about the elder gods

Shame it doesn't have much to do with the dream cycle tho

I recommend Tyson's translation of the Necronomicon

Clears up quite a lot about the elder gods

Shame it doesn't have much to do with the dream cycle tho

Where do I get all of this... NEED TO READ!!!

Where do I get all of this... NEED TO READ!!!

I want to be a sarky bastard and say, book shops -.-

But you might not find it in book shops :P .. Try Amazon :)

I got it at a Barnes and Noble, so... >_>

Or, you know, the library.

You can find some pretty awesome stuff there. For free (Aside from taxes and late bills)!

I'd say that the whole hierarchy with the mobs feels a little forced and... quite frankly silly. Vanilla mobs are a perfect example of what to do in a good sandbox game, because they're fairly balanced. The tank, the ranger, the suicide bomber, the acrobat, and the posioner - all equal challenges, but all very different at the same time, with widely varied strategies required for taking them on effectively.

This is a very important point. Although I believe some leniency can be given since this is a new dimension, and thus, like, step it up a few levels.

The Wailing deserves the same caliber of balance, but... what doesn't kill you, makes you stranger. I'm talking some crazy shit here - mobs that look like a gymnast bent over backwards on all 4s rushing at you on mismatched limbs, needle-thin mobs 3 blocks tall that dash across the landscape like they've got IC2 quantum leggings on, able to jump 2 blocks up at a clip, gargantuan walkers that stride across the landscape with their 6 legs 10 blocks high each - passive normally, but able to utterly wreck your shit when provoked

Your first example gave me an idea of a mob that acts almost like an enderman, but visibly moving across the surface (at high speeds of course), and not directly at you, but around you. Perhaps aiming for your back? Even better would be if they also, when unprovoked, stalked you in a similar manner for small periods of time.

I do think however that what you don't know or see is much more scarier all in all. All the more unbearable. That would seriously keep me away from The Wailing unless I really really needed something from there.

That is not dead

Which can eternal lie

And with strange aeons

Even death may die

That verse is referring to the beings in the nameless city, rather than cthulhu, does it not?

-takes off sunglasses-

mother of god....

this is... just amazing i had an idea almost exactly like this in my own personal minecraft idea notebook (i know, kinda nerdy)

i had an idea where instead of being an entirely new dimension, we use an already existing plane from minecraft

the Void

maybe you could, at the deepest parts of the earth, find stuff like the "scourge" seeping in from the Void beneath

then you might even find parts where the Void has completely broken through into the surface world

there would be two ways to enter the Void. either falling in one of the above mentioned holes, or making some sort of hole through the bedrock using some device made of the Void corruption

so instead of dying when you fall in, you would get a loading screen and enter the void dimension and it would be just like the "wailing" that your idea talks about

...is it sad that I typed this all out in one go, without having to look any of it up?

no, not at all. i applaud you for your dedication seeing as i have just been getting into lovecraft myself

also, thanks for my new signature

It's a nice thought but... doesn't seem like something for TFCraft. I mean, what TFCraft is going for here is some sort of realism right? This feels more akin to a fantasy mod more than a realism mod.

Careful with the "R" word this game isn't about that it's about believe-ability instead. But I hate to say it but I'm starting to agree I don't see this in normal TFC, someone needs to make an add-on.

This is a very important point. Although I believe some leniency can be given since this is a new dimension, and thus, like, step it up a few levels.

Leniency yes, but those were not 'stepping it up', they were providing tiers as distinctive as the steps of a ziggurat.

Your first example gave me an idea of a mob that acts almost like an enderman, but visibly moving across the surface (at high speeds of course), and not directly at you, but around you. Perhaps aiming for your back? Even better would be if they also, when unprovoked, stalked you in a similar manner for small periods of time.

I do think however that what you don't know or see is much more scarier all in all. All the more unbearable. That would seriously keep me away from The Wailing unless I really really needed something from there.

Thaaaaaaaat might be a bit hard on Dunk. Frankly I think even my suggestions would be hard on him, but I suppose they're sort of possible...

Though I definitely get what you mean.

That verse is referring to the beings in the nameless city, rather than cthulhu, does it not?

Nope. The few remaining denizens of the nameless city are indeed living, even if they have devolved a bit from inbreeding and wars - but their countless honored dead are not terribly well preserved. The bodies will last for millenia, but not forever. Only the great Cthulhu who dreams beneath the waves will remain eternal until the day of his awakening.

Now tell me if you know this one-

Slumber, watcher, till the spheres

Six and twenty thousand years

Have revolv'd and I return

To the spot where I now burn

Other stars anon shall rise

To the axis of the skies

Stars that soothe and stars that bless

With a sweet forgetfulness

Only when my round is o'er

Shall the past disturb thy door

also, thanks for my new signature

Lol that's actually where I picked up my name from. I only stopped using that as my sig on nearly everything only recently.

I feel like I'm missing out on so much ! .. There's too many posts to read from my mobile phone :P :P

Leniency yes, but those were not 'stepping it up', they were providing tiers as distinctive as the steps of a ziggurat.

No, of course. I wasn't referring to them when I said it like that. I was thinking of the concept of having a slight hierarchy placed on a higher level of difficulty. Like the vanilla Enderdragon is an obvious step up in the hierarchy (albeit a huge one), there should be perhaps one or two enemies in the Wailing that are above the rest in some way.

Thaaaaaaaat might be a bit hard on Dunk. Frankly I think even my suggestions would be hard on him, but I suppose they're sort of possible...

Though I definitely get what you mean.

Combining the movement of the enderman (the teleportation part, although not teleporting but moving rapidly) with the movement of tamed animals like cats and wolves could provide the desired effect (the stalking part), could it not?

Nope. The few remaining denizens of the nameless city are indeed living, even if they have devolved a bit from inbreeding and wars - but their countless honored dead are not terribly well preserved. The bodies will last for millenia, but not forever. Only the great Cthulhu who dreams beneath the waves will remain eternal until the day of his awakening.

Are you sure? Because in the nameless city, there's this passage:

There is no legend so old as to give it a name, or to recall that it was ever alive; but it is told of in whispers around campfires and muttered about by grandams in the tents of sheiks so that all the tribes shun it without wholly knowing why. It was of this place that Abdul Alhazred the mad poet dreamed of the night before he sang his unexplained couplet:

That is not dead which can eternal lie,

And with strange aeons even death may die.

http://en.wikisource...e_Nameless_City

Now tell me if you know this one-

Slumber, watcher, till the spheres

Six and twenty thousand years

Have revolv'd and I return

To the spot where I now burn

Other stars anon shall rise

To the axis of the skies

Stars that soothe and stars that bless

With a sweet forgetfulness

Only when my round is o'er

Shall the past disturb thy door

I do not :D

What is it?

so has anyone come up with more ideas for "Nothing" ? i liked the idea of a really deadly element that could be forged into what ever you may need so long as you have the powers to control and maintain it.

"nothing" opens up a wide range of possibilities

for example, what would happen if you began to run out of "nothing" ? you might begin to start mining for the substance

like Grim Tuesday did in the far reaches :)

what would happen if you by mistake released "nothing" into the normal world ? that would not be good.

No, of course. I wasn't referring to them when I said it like that. I was thinking of the concept of having a slight hierarchy placed on a higher level of difficulty. Like the vanilla Enderdragon is an obvious step up in the hierarchy (albeit a huge one), there should be perhaps one or two enemies in the Wailing that are above the rest in some way.

Agreed, but they shouldn't go in a set order, nor should they be random encounters. Perhaps if they only spawn in small generated structures like the current jungle temples...

Combining the movement of the enderman (the teleportation part, although not teleporting but moving rapidly) with the movement of tamed animals like cats and wolves could provide the desired effect (the stalking part), could it not?

Hmm, not bad... Final word is his though, if he can or can't do it, I'm sure he'll let us know

Are you sure? Because in the nameless city, there's this passage:

http://en.wikisource...e_Nameless_City

TBH, I'm not sure what exactly the Brazen Door is. Even though featured briefly in both the Dream Cycle and the Cthulhu Mythos, its purpose and origin are never fully explained. Even the Necronomicon only gives more detailed description of the door, without listing its function. Perhaps it has something to do with the Old One himself? Little is known of the inhabitants of the city that lies beneath many-pillared Irem either, so one could only guess... The only certain thing about them is that they are not eternal.

I do not :D

What is it?

From one of the short stories in the Dream Cycle where a man stares at a star, hears the poem, and begins having dreams about a past life of his as a warrior of the Plateau of Leng. He was guarding a gate, saw the star, and the star lulled him into sleep with the poem. With him out of the picture, some... thing... invaded Leng, and caused its downfall.

so has anyone come up with more ideas for "Nothing" ? i liked the idea of a really deadly element that could be forged into what ever you may need so long as you have the powers to control and maintain it.

"nothing" opens up a wide range of possibilities

for example, what would happen if you began to run out of "nothing" ? you might begin to start mining for the substance

like Grim Tuesday did in the far reaches :)

what would happen if you by mistake released "nothing" into the normal world ? that would not be good.

Well I don't think we should be calling it 'nothing' and directly ripping from a story...

...What if it's strange matter? Fits the theme, and placing it in the overworld on accident would start a reaction similar to Eloraam's Blue Goo mod :3

Well I don't think we should be calling it 'nothing' and directly ripping from a story...

...What if it's strange matter? Fits the theme, and placing it in the overworld on accident would start a reaction similar to Eloraam's Blue Goo mod :3

a better name could be "void fluid" :)

a better name could be "void fluid" :)

But strange matter is a real thing in real life that actually has those properties.

Seriously. Look it up.

It's even technically not from our universe

But strange matter is a real thing in real life that actually has those properties.

Seriously. Look it up.

It's even technically not from our plane of existence

FFFFFFFF did not intend on hitting quote...

placing it in the overworld on accident would start a reaction similar to Eloraam's Blue Goo mod :3

I was thinking about some kind of extremely bad effect -and when i say extremely bad, it is EXTREMELY BAD. Like, you would be completely unable to ever use that save again. But then i realized it would be both a nightmare for Bioxx to code, as well as a -nother- good reason for the players to not ever daring to go to the Wailing... so, then i thinked about it as if it was antimatter -at least, that's how i think it's called-, and simply having it react with the matter of the overworld. And i started to investigate what would happen if, let's say, a bottle of antimatter reacted with some matter. I founded that a single gram of antimatter, plus a single one of matter, can make an explosion as big as the Hiroshima's one...

So, yeah, let's better rip off eloraam's blue goo mod ._. pretty much easier for everyone...

I was thinking about some kind of extremely bad effect -and when i say extremely bad, it is EXTREMELY BAD. Like, you would be completely unable to ever use that save again. But then i realized it would be both a nightmare for Bioxx to code, as well as a -nother- good reason for the players to not ever daring to go to the Wailing... so, then i thinked about it as if it was antimatter -at least, that's how i think it's called-, and simply having it react with the matter of the overworld. And i started to investigate what would happen if, let's say, a bottle of antimatter reacted with some matter. I founded that a single gram of antimatter, plus a single one of matter, can make an explosion as big as the Hiroshima's one...

So, yeah, let's better rip off eloraam's blue goo mod ._. pretty much easier for everyone...

Yeah, lol

besides, assholes like me would bottle the antimatter and then toss it as far as possible just to marvel at the crater, just like I did with the nukes in my industrialcraft LP XD

And btw its not a ripoff, several similar mods exist, and Eloraam was not the first to make one

i thought so to ... i would rather have my world slowly dissolved rather than a thermo nuclear blast that annihilate my world