Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Wizarth

Zinc use beyond Teir 0

12 posts in this topic

I'd like to suggest a new usage for Zinc, beyond Tier 0 starter tools.

Galvanization.

In the real world, iron and steel items can be galvanized, either through electroplating (beyond TFC thematically) or by dipping in molten zinc (plausible). This increases their durability, because the zinc coating is more chemically active then the iron/steel, so wears away first.

To quote Wikipedia:

The metal is most commonly used as an anti-corrosion agent. Galvanization, which is the coating of iron or steel to protect the metals against corrosion, is the most familiar form of using zinc in this way. In 2009 in the United States, 55% or 893 thousand tonnes of the zinc metal was used for galvanization.

I imagine this being applied by combining an iron or steel tool head with liquid zinc, either as an anvil weld, or on the metallurgy table. This could either create a new type of material head (Galvanized Steel Pickaxe Head), or could act as a durability buff. A spin off of that idea is, it could act as a repair method (re-galvanizing a worn item).

Just throwing the idea out there. Because I always end up with Saphlerite as my starter metal, for some reason...

Galvanizing an item to increase its durability and then regalvanizing it to repair it sounds good.

brass might get more uses in the future, if you're looking for a use for zinc

brass might get more uses in the future, if you're looking for a use for zinc

wewt.

was hoping my 2 double chests of unshaped zinc would actually be needed at some point

wewt.

was hoping my 2 double chests of unshaped zinc would actually be needed at some point

cool. But seriously, if you can think of any uses for brass, tell us lol. The only thing off the top of my head is musical instruments (which aren't happening!)

cool. But seriously, if you can think of any uses for brass, tell us lol. The only thing off the top of my head is musical instruments (which aren't happening!)

Unfortunately the only real major historic uses of brass were for instruments, coins, and guns.

However, its corrosion-resistant and antibacterial properties would make it very effective in a marine environment.

Perhaps brass could be instrumental (pun sortof intended) in the creation of more advanced seacraft?

Also, congratz on getting mod stat

Dunk: technically, they were also used for weaponry. (btw, I didn't know I could edit YOUR posts lol)

musical instruments (which aren't happening!)

I want my money back :(

Knowing absolutely nothing about brass, Wikipedia says it is used in locks and gears. Locks are a contentious issue (ref: rest of suggestions forum :P) but if there's some early machinery on the horizon then brass gears might be a thing?

Brass is generally used in any environment where corrosion is an issue (See Eternals post)

As well as this, brass also exhibits excellent "low friction" properties, making it suitable for applications where this is desirable.

As an aside it also does not spark easily, making it an excellent choice where sparks are a hazard.

One of the big problems with Brass and Bronze both being in game is that they share a good number of uses, having fairly similar material properties.

I think galvanization sounds like a really interesting idea. If it could be implemented in a way that would not put it in the earlier part of the game, I would definitely support.

Perhaps, you'd need to make some sort of cauldron (similar to the vanilla MC one used for brewing) out of Wrought Iron or Steel in order to put it in the middle of technological progression.

Dunk: technically, they were also used for weaponry. (btw, I didn't know I could edit YOUR posts lol)

1) Well yeah lol, and armor, but we already HAVE those in game so I figured I'd skip over mentioning it.

2) What black magic is this?! BURN THE WIZARD*!!

Does it need to be historical in order for it to be considered usable for weapons? Bismuth and zinc certainly weren't used for making weapons. Brass is a copper alloy, and stronger than copper alone. I see it being a good short-tier alloy for making metal tools slightly better than copper. After tin is found and the iron age is reached, brass would be a good replacement for making cheap metal items.