Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
warfighter67

EASILY find starter ores: technique

19 posts in this topic

Use the propick when above ground. if you search enough, you can find some right under the dirt!

Starter ores are very common but hard to find, if you get what I'm saying.

So far from about 3 hours of looking I found some tin (YAY!) and about one copper nugget,.. It works! but they are still vary rare. ;)

Yeah, I found zinc by checking the side of a cliff with exposed rock. The thing is that you need to travel really far doing this for much chance of finding stuff.

Yeah, I found zinc by checking the side of a cliff with exposed rock. The thing is that you need to travel really far doing this for much chance of finding stuff.

I agree, also I don't really see this as being a "technique" that only pros know about, rather it's the ONLY way at the moment to play the game. Walking around for hours, praying to find enough tin and copper so you can mine all that iron you are sure to have found by now... you would think the "lesser" metals would be easyier to find and the "Better" ones to be harder, I find it to be totaly opposite. Kind of hits you with a brickwall before you can even start enjoying the game to it's fullest.

Still this seems like a kind of usefull "technique"... Found a fair few ores this way!

with the new search size of 12 down rather than 6, you have a better chance of detection.

Yeah, I've searched for about 12 hours on a map on SSP and not found ANY ore via this method.

Yeah, I've searched for about 12 hours on a map on SSP and not found ANY ore via this method.

I'd give up after 4 to be honest :P

I haven't not found ore within the first 2 hours since this patch got released :L :L

I can't understand what everyone is talking about :P

Dig to level 30-55. Straight down. If you don't find a cave with a shitton of ore, fill the hole back up with the stuff you just dug. Repeat, moving to a different biome. Takes me about nine holes now instead of eight hours.

Dig to level 30-55. Straight down. If you don't find a cave with a shitton of ore, fill the hole back up with the stuff you just dug. Repeat, moving to a different biome. Takes me about nine holes now instead of eight hours.

Look, I'll explain this to you in very simple words that my godson would understand.

This change makes the game less fun and less believable. There should be surface deposits of ore literally weathering out of the rocks. That's the way it was long, long ago, before we dug it all up and used it. That is why you don't see them anymore. Not because they didn't exist, but because they have all been used up. When I generate a new Minecraft world, there should be surface ore.

"Dig straight down", you say. That's fine. Except I'm looking for specific ores. Starter ores. If I dig straight down I have no idea what kind of rock I will find, and, therefore, no idea of what kind of ore I will find. When there were surface deposits, I could simply walk around until I found Granite and I would have a great chance of finding cassiterite.

These changes make the game less fun. They make it far more tedious and time consuming. They were a bad idea.

Look, I'll explain this to you in very simple words that my godson would understand.

This change makes the game less fun and less believable. There should be surface deposits of ore literally weathering out of the rocks. That's the way it was long, long ago, before we dug it all up and used it. That is why you don't see them anymore. Not because they didn't exist, but because they have all been used up. When I generate a new Minecraft world, there should be surface ore.

"Dig straight down", you say. That's fine. Except I'm looking for specific ores. Starter ores. If I dig straight down I have no idea what kind of rock I will find, and, therefore, no idea of what kind of ore I will find. When there were surface deposits, I could simply walk around until I found Granite and I would have a great chance of finding cassiterite.

These changes make the game less fun. They make it far more tedious and time consuming. They were a bad idea.

You are wrong. My friend actually went to mining school and worked in mines for 7 years. Ore reacts away and is carried away by the water. You may find quartz exposed but nothing more reactive. I live next to the Lead hills called that because there is literally lead in the hills and water, not on the surface.

You are wrong. My friend actually went to mining school and worked in mines for 7 years. Ore reacts away and is carried away by the water. You may find quartz exposed but nothing more reactive. I live next to the Lead hills called that because there is literally lead in the hills and water, not on the surface.

Really?

http://www.greatmini...tal-ore-mining/

That's nice. Didn't expect a lecture on something I agree with. The topic was asking for an easy way to find ore. THAT is an easy way to find ore in the current build. Doesn't matter what it is. Didn't find what you're looking for? Oh, well, another 9 holes and you'll find a different ore. In case you didn't notice or haven't been keeping up with the builds, cassette spawns EVERYWHERE so there is no easy way to find specific spots for casserite. Please go pick a fight using childish degradations on someone who actually opposes your viewpoint please.

Surface deposits are not literally exposed to the elements, they are buried a small depth below it. I'm not with my friend anymore, so I don't have the knowledge to debate this any further.

I've been using a method similar to this, as well as exploring surface ravines in hills and taiga biomes, and I find enough zinc to get by, and a little extra. You don't find those massive 400 ore veins like you do below ground, but they're enough if you find 3 or 4 deposits. I have plenty of ingots left over.

on the surface deposits debate there was once surface deposits they were not massive or substacial and they are now all gone as we used them all simple as and there was a lot just under the surface many of which were under these small surface deposits

I talked to my mate again today. There are very few actually exposed ore veins comparatively. Surface deposits generally refer to shallow depth ore deposits. But they are buried. There are some examples of open air deposits, but they aren't as common as you imply.

depends how rich a vein we are talking about and in what time period as we studied this during chemistry ( why i don't know but we did it anyway one of those weird teachers that makes u learn pointless crap) I'm am not trying to imply u could make anything particularly big out of these surface rocks (not like a massive vein of ore) but these rocks are how people found out about ores and smeltable materials

Eight years too late... oh well. 

To the point of surface deposits, of course there are. The world is a big place. To the point of "people have used them all up is why you don't see them.", that's just plain silly. Again, the world is a big place. Go on Google earth and take a look around at what's NOT populated. It's fascinating to me that there are people who look at our world this way and also people who believe Bigfoot is real at the same time.