Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Endless_Riddles

Keys to protect all your goodies

49 posts in this topic

Keys made of meat.

Already have one

My only trouble is finding a good lock

Smooth, real smooth, I'm going to have write that one down.

Smooth, real smooth, I'm going to have write that one down.

Posted Image

-snip-

Congrats you made this a "HOT" Topic. :lol:

now now. all im reading in this thread is people making suggestions, possibly working a way around some issues, and then people just saying NOPE! not only that, many of you are giving destructive criticism. one person here especially enjoys using the word "Stupid." anyway, rather than being an obstacle, leave some constructive criticism, or just say, "I dont think it will work." not, wow this is so stupid your stupid for saying it etc etc. No ideas are stupid (except for incompatibility's, hes just full of hot air), lets try to keep it constructive :D.

As for the lock thing, pvp servers are only one side of this. really what most other servers just need something to keep other people honest, like a fence ;P just a simple lock that deters people from checking a box, thereby removing the temptation to steal.

And as for the comments about people covering your house in locked chests.... that would a rather glaring overstepping of the rules, thereby they are easily seen / banned, or mods can just break them by going into creative.

now now. all im reading in this thread is people making suggestions, possibly working a way around some issues, and then people just saying NOPE! not only that, many of you are giving destructive criticism. one person here especially enjoys using the word "Stupid." anyway, rather than being an obstacle, leave some constructive criticism, or just say, "I dont think it will work." not, wow this is so stupid your stupid for saying it etc etc. No ideas are stupid (except for incompatibility's, hes just full of hot air), lets try to keep it constructive :D.

As for the lock thing, pvp servers are only one side of this. really what most other servers just need something to keep other people honest, like a fence ;P just a simple lock that deters people from checking a box, thereby removing the temptation to steal.

And as for the comments about people covering your house in locked chests.... that would a rather glaring overstepping of the rules, thereby they are easily seen / banned, or mods can just break them by going into creative.

I guess you missed the part where they said.

"this idea been suggested too many times to count(even for vanilla)"

eveything after that does not mater the idea died their.

So do universal keys, such as hammers and axes.

Good luck hammering open a METAL BOX. Or cutting it open with an axe.

Good luck hammering open a METAL BOX. Or cutting it open with an axe.

I hit the lock with a hammer. The lock falls off. Loot.

Speaking of locks, I think this thread is calling for one

get a proper server plugin

I hit the lock with a hammer. The lock falls off. Loot.

This. Smashing a chest is unnecessary when you can smash the far more delicate lock or whatever is attaching the lock to the chest.

Is it the general concensus that this isn't a good idea? I can delete this topic if you guys like. (sorry :/)

Is it the general concensus that this isn't a good idea? I can delete this topic if you guys like. (sorry :/)

it's got my vote for a lock

Yes please.

Look guys. The potential for trolling (either smashing open a locked chest to take the goodies or smothering your house in indestructible chests) is too high. This thread will be closed in 1 hour. sorry :(

I could have sworn I posted a link to my vanilla lock/key suggestion. ...Basically it amounted to an alphanumeric pin and tumbler puzzle. Oh... There we go. We've talked about this before. :U

Personally, I feel locks could work in Minecraft/TFC. It'd just rely on the honour system a bit. Axing another guy's locked chest is a very doable thing in real life. Making more secure chests that are only breakable by higher tiered things might be neat.

Or wait, taking this in another direction, what about goblin-like mobs that like to raid unlocked chests?

Slightly different idea: What if there was a placeable lock, that worked like a redstone button, but only activates if you click it with a specific key item?

We're not going to have raiding parties trying to loot your stuff. Having to rely on the honour system does not put us any farther ahead than where we started

We're not going to have raiding parties trying to loot your stuff. Having to rely on the honour system does not put us any farther ahead than where we started

Fair enough. Though I was thinking of something more feral and primitive. Solitary goblins, Smeagol/Gollum-like in appearance, but much less intelligent. They would have a fondness for shiny things, like gems, and ingots, but they wouldn't hesitate to take your meats either, being survivors themselves. Nothing too smart or organized. (Maybe imps are better image-wise? Not familiar with my fantasy creatures... Anyway, raccoons or any natural thieves would work just as well.)

In my mind, you'd probably see one but once in a blue moon, probably by your very own house. Locks, and/or smart construction would keep them from getting into your stuff. If you caught them before they got anything stuff they would tackle you perhaps taking things from your hot-bar, but once they've got any sort of prize, they would throw rocks while quickly retreating.

I mostly agree on the functionality of locks, however, while putting a lock on your chest is the same as putting a sign that says "Please don't steal," the former is undeniably more immersive. ...It's just that it would probably be too much work for not enough of a feature unless there were some other benefit, which is why I brought up a looting mob. (Not everything you run into while you're surviving is out to kill you. Some things just want to steal your food. Little hominids are just the only ones I could imagine opening doors and chests.) If that's totally out of the question though, I'll concede that locks are a dead end. :U

I would like to add my voice to the calls of "Lock this"

I actually liked the principle behind this idea with a lockpicking mechanic, but it's flaws have been made evident.

get a proper server plugin

Show me the link to ONE only ONE simple logging / protection plugin that is compatible with TFC (dont even try to use the word bukkit because TFC isnt bukkit compatible).

cons- lots of coding and ideas, possible griefing,

pros- harder to steal from chests(if some sort of chest reinforcement/unbreakable mechanic was implemented), introduces professional thief which can make the game more interesting.

so it is more work for coder, may cause grief when stopping grief but adds new aspect into game while making it harder for random griefer

..... why is this so stupid that the majority of the comments have simply been 'no stupid we already said no"?

..... why is this so stupid that the majority of the comments have simply been 'no stupid we already said no"?

Because the devs said no, and they're the ones who write the frigging mod.

Can we lock this and let it die?

Because the devs said no, and they're the ones who write the frigging mod.

Can we lock this and let it die?

agree'd

Agreed with Jed. Good idea in principle, too hard to implement fairly.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0