Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paragon83

Chain World?

19 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I wasn't sure whereto post this on the forums so I decided on "Off Topic".

Has anyone here heard about Chain World? It was started last year, here is the link to the story:

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/07/mf_chainworld/

I guess what I want to ask is what does everyone here think of it? Would anyone be interested in creating something like that with TFC? And if so what would the rules look like?

The concept interests me a lot, except I wouldn't limit it to just one person at a time, maybe several at once to simulate a generation of civilization or something, and then passing it to the next group. Maybe something similar should be tried but for a limited time, like a month for instance and each "generation" group has say a few days-a week to play and then pass it, Idk, thoughts?

Haha, the guy in the article lives in the same town as me.

would be interesting to try or something similar like a rotation so maybe a group of people on a server would split in to groups each group could play for maybe a week at a time and rotate would be interesting to see what happened and would love to get some footage of this would make a great series on youtube.

Haha, the guy in the article lives in the same town as me.

Maybe you will be next to play?

Maybe you will be next to play?

Unlikely. According to the article, the only copy of the game was sold in ebay, and nobody knows where is right now.

This seems a fun idea, but how would several people play at once? On a server? if so, who would maintain the server? Or would it be a LAN connection? How would we tranfer the maps between MP and SP?

If we want to do something like this, it seems the best thing to do would do what the creator wanted, a Single SSP map, passed amonst us as we die in game, with perhaps a lottery of interested parties to draw from to pass it on.

This should so totally happen.

If no one else is willing to start, then I will.

I have a feeling someone's already made copies of the game, and they're probably being sold on the black market to avoid suspicion. But the concept is still pretty cool, although I don't really know how that would work on TFCraft. Rather an a chain world, there are of course LPs of the same seed (I'm sure we've all heard of the 404 challenge)...I guess if all else fails, you could host a server with a maximum of one person allowed on, and then banhammer after they die or something? I don't even know.

Or, you could just have the same concept as the original idea, where you just play singleplayer and send the file to whoever's next via email or whatever.

Seems the easiest way to do this is to start a forum post in the beta forums, get a server started that's 1 slot, whitelist, death-ban. People post in the forum thread to enter the queue. As people die and are banned, one more person is whitelisted from the queue. Could possibly be automated, but doesn't have to be.

Seems the easiest way to do this is to start a forum post in the beta forums, get a server started that's 1 slot, whitelist, death-ban. People post in the forum thread to enter the queue. As people die and are banned, one more person is whitelisted from the queue. Could possibly be automated, but doesn't have to be.

I like that, but one problem I see is there might be too few people to keep it going from the list. If there was a death-ban, would it be possible to remove it at a later date? I could see people, upon dying, being added to the bottom of the list ( new interested people would be placed ahead of those who already played) that way the map would be kept alive longer and the players would get a chance to see how the world evolved in their absence.

We could also expand our userbase a bit, by expanding to another forum after the users here run out.

The MCforums seem a little too big and... Unruly though... What about the Bay12 Forums?

We could also expand our userbase a bit, by expanding to another forum after the users here run out.

The MCforums seem a little too big and... Unruly though... What about the Bay12 Forums?

I agree with that, bay12 would be a good place. Also good idea overall :)

We could have sets of 3 people at once, each on "Hardcore" mode. They play until all 3 people are dead, and then the next people come in and take up where they left off. The people can't give the next team any information on what they did, where their stuff is, etc. I think that would be the best way to go if we're trying to do something similar to the Chain World thing. If you just wanted to do a thing where people take turns adding stuff, you might as well just have a multiplayer server.

Only problem I see is that I play very conservatively, especially since TFC. I think I've died on TFC SMP all of twice, and only one of those was an accident. Might take a while for people to play if the list gets lengthy and others think like I do.

And what happens if Bioxx makes an update that corrupts the world?

Plus

-snip-

What pagan chain world is this? The One True Chain has been lost to common knowledge, that's just a feeble copy.

What pagan chain world is this? The One True Chain has been lost to common knowledge, that's just a feeble copy.

And a bad copy... The chain world is such an amazing concept. TFC would be great in that, imagine exploring dwarven tunnels made by 'ancient' dwellers or a lost castle...

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0