Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Shadow

Complete Noob Questions

56 posts in this topic

ya alright, Seeing that I can see how doing it with forge would be much harder. but I still want know how you can do it with a campfire.

ya alright, Seeing that I can see how doing it with forge would be much harder. but I still want know how you can do it with a campfire.

Some things melt at different temperatures than others.

Downstairs, in my rock collection, I have several different kinds of ore, including cinnabar, native copper, hematite, and magnetite, just off the top of my head. I'm fairly sure I could melt the native copper in a campfire, though I'm not about to try to find out.

I also used to make bullets from lead for my muzzle loading pistols. I assure you, lead will melt in a campfire.

Oh I know metals have different melting points, some so low even room temp will cause them to melt. that I get.

my question is what kind of set up allow you to extract this metal from an ore that is possible to do so easily on a camp fire, yet unable to do the same over a forge.

In all honesty? Nothing.

But if you could use a forge to get iron, there wouldn't be as much of a need for a bloomery.

they really ought to make clay very very abundant (or craftable from crushing certain kinds of sedimentary rocks and adding water) with the number of molds we have to churn through.

I've only ever done blacksmithing, and I didn't do that in a great deal of depth or for very long (I did make a shit ton of shitty nails), but for some things, like copper, you don't even really need to heat them. If I recall correctly from what I have read (I might go dig up my book on smithing later) copper can be worked cold. Like, I could literally walk downstairs, get my chunk of native copper, get a hammer, go outside on the back porch, use the concrete as an anvil, and shape a blade. No heat required.

they really ought to make clay very very abundant (or craftable from crushing certain kinds of sedimentary rocks and adding water) with the number of molds we have to churn through.

Clay IS very abundant. Please note that grass can grow atop clay, and with the bettergrass on the sides of the block, you may need to actually dig out some grass before you see the clay. Also, clay seems more likely to spawn near water, so whenever you see a little lake or something, dig out some of the nearby grass and there almost always will be clay within a few blocks of the water. I've also observed clay nowhere near water and on the bottom of the ocean and rivers, though that would be harder to get at. Making an air bubble with bricks would be recommended.

Remember that this is a game and some things should be adapted to better suit the gameplay. For example the working and melting temperatures, smelting the starter ores in the firepit, none of them in the forge, etc

Remember that this is a game and some things should be adapted to better suit the gameplay. For example the working and melting temperatures, smelting the starter ores in the firepit, none of them in the forge, etc

I donno, alot of the recent changes seem to focus more on making the game more realistic over gameplayability.

Some people have actually quite playing single player because its "unplayable", and only play SMP publicly because theres so many people some one is bound to find what you need and might trade for it.

I still play SSP even tho it appears im going to be permanently stuck in the stone/tin age.

Okay, for those of us who weren't around when sluices and gold panning were - tell us how to make and use these!

What do you need to pick up an anvil without destroying it? A pickaxe?

What is the metallurgy table made out of? From the wiki, it *looks* like eight granite blocks... but will other stone do?

Also, I've noticed that when unshaped metal is well above its melting point, the temperature displays "!Caution!" along with it. What, practically speaking, does that mean, if anything? Is there some in-game hazard to it?

The metallurgy table can be made by any type of raw stone, all blocks have to be the same type. Basically it's just a stone table with channels chipped out of it to help spread and blend metals into alloys.

When the Caution warning appears the metal is close to evaporating, meaning it might just dissapear. This heat mechanic isn't implemented into the bloomeries yet, can't remember about forge....

Just never place a "Caution" warning mold into a firepit, that instantly looses you that metal, the mold stays however :)

I hope that you've seen that most of the wiki pages are up to date on the changes from 47f

The metallurgy table can be made by any type of raw stone, all blocks have to be the same type. Basically it's just a stone table with channels chipped out of it to help spread and blend metals into alloys.

When the Caution warning appears the metal is close to evaporating, meaning it might just dissapear. This heat mechanic isn't implemented into the bloomeries yet, can't remember about forge....

Just never place a "Caution" warning mold into a firepit, that instantly looses you that metal, the mold stays however :)

I hope that you've seen that most of the wiki pages are up to date on the changes from 47f

Thank you, that was very helpful. I'm wondering how that's going to work in the bloomeries, since at least at present, metals always come out 'Brilliant White'.

So I'm told that obsidian can be harvested with wrought iron. Is there any way to ignite a Nether portal at present? Will a firestarter do the trick? Fast travel looks awfully appealing, with the way ores tend to be spread out.

I tried the forge, does not have the evaporating mechanic yet either. This was wrong, I just didn't reach a high enough temperature.

If you make a firepit with a log pile on top, like a charcoal-pit, without enclosing it, it will place fire entities around itself.

If you are lucky one of the fires will be in the obsidian arch and the portal will light up.

Edited by flamestrider

gravel is back, and with it the chance for flint. and last I checked zombies still have a chance to drop a van iron ingot.

Now that you've mentioned that awesome way to ignite nether portals, I have to try it. Do you think TFC will have nether additions in the future?

gravel is back, and with it the chance for flint. and last I checked zombies still have a chance to drop a van iron ingot.

I was able to make a flint and steel in SMP with flint and iron ingot off a zombie. So confirmed this is possible. I haven't tested if the portal works though (isn't there an option for servers to not allow nether/the end?)

Now that you've mentioned that awesome way to ignite nether portals, I have to try it. Do you think TFC will have nether additions in the future?

They're completely reworking the Nether. Different terrain (probably still Netherrack?), different monsters, probably additional resources.

I'm looking forward to it :D

IIRC, there isn't anything planned for the nether unless Bioxx changed his mind recently :P

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0