Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Shadow

Complete Noob Questions

56 posts in this topic

Apologies if this is the wrong section, it seems to fit best here.

So I've looked at the wiki, I've watched the Spotter's Guide videos - both seem out of date. I've read the change log archive, but it's rather sparse. I've lurked about the forums and have done a fair bit of searching. I've downloaded the mod and have played a bit. And I've developed some questions for those kind enough to consider them.

* First and most pressingly, I notice that trees sometimes don't disappear when I chop them down. Is there any easy workaround for this? Leaving the game and re-entering doesn't seem to help.

* Second, and also pressing, the Spotter's Guide videos said that ores were best found between layers 30-50... but that was before the height of the mod was raised. Where does one tend to find ores now? I've read threads that say the big veins are 'deep', but that doesn't tell me much.

* Are all metals within a tier basically the same in terms of durability and mining ability? Or is there a progression within tiers?

* On a related note, I don't have any sense of scale for how good the different tiers are. How good is, say, bronze or black steel compared to vanilla iron and diamond? This is especially pressing for red steel and blue steel, which don't seem to have any real-world equivalents.

* Does obsidian still exist in its invulnerable vanilla form? If so, what do you mine it with?

* Likewise, do some later ores require better than stone picks to mine?

* I understand that redstone now occurs in cinnabar ore, but the wiki gives me no guidance as to what sorts of rock cinnabar appears in?

as a fellow newb all I can tell you regarding your questions is that the only 2 times I have a tree stay once I shop it down is, 1; due to a graphic problem, and leaving rejoining does fix it. and 2. when part of the tree (usually willow) is still there and I have to find the log in the center of the leaves to chop it down again.

Judging from your other questions you already know you have to use an axe, punching trees no longer works.

im not qualified to even comment on the other questions.

* First and most pressingly, I notice that trees sometimes don't disappear when I chop them down. Is there any easy workaround for this? Leaving the game and re-entering doesn't seem to help.

* Second, and also pressing, the Spotter's Guide videos said that ores were best found between layers 30-50... but that was before the height of the mod was raised. Where does one tend to find ores now? I've read threads that say the big veins are 'deep', but that doesn't tell me much.

* Are all metals within a tier basically the same in terms of durability and mining ability? Or is there a progression within tiers?

* On a related note, I don't have any sense of scale for how good the different tiers are. How good is, say, bronze or black steel compared to vanilla iron and diamond? This is especially pressing for red steel and blue steel, which don't seem to have any real-world equivalents.

* Does obsidian still exist in its invulnerable vanilla form? If so, what do you mine it with?

* Likewise, do some later ores require better than stone picks to mine?

* I understand that redstone now occurs in cinnabar ore, but the wiki gives me no guidance as to what sorts of rock cinnabar appears in?

1: That shouldn't happen, and I've never experienced that bug before, with one exception. If you're talking about Willow trees, it's a known bug and there's nothing to be done about it other than placing some dirt and chopping the rogue bit of log the hard way. Otherwise, try reinstalling.

2: Ore generation changed drastically since that Spotter's Guide video, so you can safely ignore what the video said in terms of ore generation. Presently starter ores like Zinc and Bismuth can spawn close to the surface in small pockets (use a prospector's pick to maybe find some), other ores can be found deeper underground, although where exactly I don't know. From my experience it's best sacrifice however many heads of cattle you can spare to Eurmal and hope you'll randomly stumble upon a vein of ore as you hopelessly run around like a headless chicken while being sniped by skeletons and dive-bombed by creepers. Good news is that if you find a vein, it's likely to be a large vein with lots of ore.

3: Metals within the same tier aren't exactly the same, but it's a minor difference you really don't need to worry about.

4: Exact details can't be given per the wishes of Bioxx, and I can't really guess either since I never used iron for anything other than Redstone and Diamond ore mining, and I only used a diamond for obsidian mining. Each tier is a notable improvement over the previous tier though, so it is worth looking for new, better ores.

5: Obsidian does still exist, although I don't remember it ever being "invulnerable". If by that you mean "immune to creeper explosions", I think certain stone bricks in TFC are also immune to creeper explosions, but not TNT. As for mining it, I don't know if it's possible even with Red/Blue Steel, since I've never tried it. Due to the finite water mechanics and the very low height at which most lava spawns, it's very difficult to get obsidian to spawn in a place where it can be safely mined.

6: I remember being able to mine Hematite, Iron ore, with a stone pickaxe in previous versions, and there's been no change on the change list, so I presume it hasn't changed. FYI, iron is the highest metal you can find as ore, and stone is a lowest tier pickaxe you can make.

You can mine obsidian with wrought iron+

and bronze is the vanilla equivalent of diamond

and bronze is the vanilla equivalent of diamond

Damn, it's that good?

Also, you should spoil that. Bioxx has said that he doesn't want exact numbers leaked out.

Damn, it's that good?

Also, you should spoil that. Bioxx has said that he doesn't want exact numbers leaked out.

He didn't give out any numbers though...

I was having charcoal pit issues but I think I figured out that I needed to use logs and not planks. I just tossed some in so we'll see how that goes.

I'm running into another problem now as I can't figure out how to make cobble. I've tried to craft the stones I find in 2x2 and 3x3 blocks but no luck thus far.

I was having charcoal pit issues but I think I figured out that I needed to use logs and not planks. I just tossed some in so we'll see how that goes.

I'm running into another problem now as I can't figure out how to make cobble. I've tried to craft the stones I find in 2x2 and 3x3 blocks but no luck thus far.

Rocks can be placed as cobblestone. Just left-click.

charcoal pits still work as per the spotters guide. If you watch Mead's lets play he gives you another method of creating a charcoal clamp by cutting it out of solid rock and closing it off with a door (works on SMP as well).

As has been stated placing rock chips places a cobble. I'm not sure if placing granite chips in a crafting table results in vanilla cobble or wheter thats changed since Pre 38.

To make bricks/stairs/smooth stone/slabs you need a chisel

Well, the ghost tree glitch seems to have resolved itself, I haven't seen it happen since.

I've managed to find a big vein of native copper, but no tin yet. I've made a number of copper ingots, but I'm wondering something:

If/when I do find tin (or gold, etc.), is it possible to melt down a copper ingot and catch the liquid in a ceramic mold to make alloys with it? I'd hate to waste one just to find out! :) Man, it is SUCH a pain to smelt copper in a firepit! (I suppose I'll need the copper ingots anyway, to make an anvil.)

If by that you mean "immune to creeper explosions"' date=' I think certain stone bricks in TFC are also immune to creeper explosions, but not TNT.[/quote']

Huh. I assume that would be stronger stones, like gabbro or granite?

Thanks for the help, everybody!

If/when I do find tin (or gold, etc.), is it possible to melt down a copper ingot and catch the liquid in a ceramic mold to make alloys with it?

Yeah, you can melt ingots back down.

Huh. I assume that would be stronger stones, like gabbro or granite?

The Spotter's guide noted that Andesite bricks are immune, so I assume the same is true for the other Igneous Extrusive stones; Basalt, Dacite and Rhyolite. Gabbro and Granite (and Diorite) are Igneous Intrusive, so I'm not sure wether they, too, are immune.

If you have coal, perhaps makeing a forge to melt the copper would be faster. And it seems you dont need a mold to catch the liquid metal when you melt it in a forge, they magically get one. For now any way.

If you have coal, perhaps makeing a forge to melt the copper would be faster. And it seems you dont need a mold to catch the liquid metal when you melt it in a forge, they magically get one. For now any way.

IIRC you do actually need a mold in the forge, in one of the 4 spaces right of the actual heating part of the interface, otherwise metal bars that melt will be wasted. Although molds in that part of the forge aren't actually consumed when melting bars, so you end up only needing one.

Correct me if that's wrong.

IIRC you do actually need a mold in the forge, in one of the 4 spaces right of the actual heating part of the interface, otherwise metal bars that melt will be wasted. Although molds in that part of the forge aren't actually consumed when melting bars, so you end up only needing one.

oh, maybe thats it. for some reason I store my molds there. guess iv never melted an ingot there with out having a mold on the side.

Edit: Good catch btw. That could have turned out badly.

*ka-blink* What? I thought you had to use a bloomery or a firepit to smelt ore, a forge will do the job?

EDIT: Wait, do you mean the copper ingot? Not the native copper ore?

*ka-blink* What? I thought you had to use a bloomery or a firepit to smelt ore, a forge will do the job?

EDIT: Wait, do you mean the copper ingot? Not the native copper ore?

You need a bloomery or a firepit to smelt ore, but you can heat up and (re-)smelt metal ingots or unshaped metal in the forge. You cannot smelt ore in the forge, ore simply can't be placed in the forge

Why cant you melt ore in a forge any way?

Okay, here's another complete noob question: Where are the config files everyone talks about?

I assume they would be text files, but I don't see any that look, well, configurable.

EDIT: And another. I've wandered a fair ways in my world, but I never seem to come across anything but plains and forest biomes. Is this normal? Bioxx has said he wants the gameplay to be different every time, so on a given playthrough will some biomes be more common than others?

Why cant you melt ore in a forge any way?

you can't smelt ores in a forge because that's not what a real forge is designed for. Real forges are designed to heat up metal, so that it can be worked with.

Okay, here's another complete noob question: Where are the config files everyone talks about?

I assume they would be text files, but I don't see any that look, well, configurable.

EDIT: And another. I've wandered a fair ways in my world, but I never seem to come across anything but plains and forest biomes. Is this normal? Bioxx has said he wants the gameplay to be different every time, so on a given playthrough will some biomes be more common than others?

the TFC and TFC options text files in config folder are the configs, first is for changing block or item ids.

the TFC and TFC options text files in config folder are the configs, first is for changing block or item ids.

Oh good grief. I was looking in entirely the wrong spot; didn't even see the config folder until I searched for it. Thanks!

Still curious about my biome question?

Yep, looking around helps lol, not sure about the biomes though. I'm not 100% if bioxxx added new ones, but there are more than just those. I've run into mountains as well as swamp biomes, so there has to be more.

oh, maybe thats it. for some reason I store my molds there. guess iv never melted an ingot there with out having a mold on the side.

Edit: Good catch btw. That could have turned out badly.

Right now, you don't need molds to catch the metal ingots if they go to liquid state IF you heat them in the forge, you DO NEED them for the firepit, at least for the ones that can reach smelting temperature there

you can't smelt ores in a forge because that's not what a real forge is designed for. Real forges are designed to heat up metal, so that it can be worked with.

I worked at a bronze foundry for a few years. We bought our bronze as ingots so I dont know how the smelting process works. We just melted down the ingots and poured it into molds, but we did get trash, sand and dirt in the crucible because the furnace was out side.

all that slag floats on top of the bronze and we just skim it off the top and put it in our slag pile.

Any way, what im trying to say is that if we just had a clump or rock with some brass or tin mixed in with it, the rock would eventually float to the top and could be skimmed off.

But like I said I dont know how you really refine metals out of ores in real life, but if you can do it on a simple camp fire then doing it on a forge should be just as simple.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0