Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fizicks

Generalized list of what to do

28 posts in this topic

Updated for Build 50 - September 10, 2012

If you have questions, you will have more success if you post in the Discussion Forum.

If this guide is out of date between updates you can check out the change log.

This list is only meant to be a quick reference to as much information as possible without writing a 20 page guide. (Others do that a lot better than me) Hopefully, with all the links to the wiki and other guides, this should give a lot of people a good starting place.

For beginners who might not understand the prospectors pick or where and how to find ore, I would suggest using one of the seed worlds posted here: Seed Forum

The VERY basics!

I felt compelled to add this section since I see the question come up so many times. Here's a quick list!

-- The Y axis (sea level) has been drastically moved up.

-- There's 23 different stone types, each with 4 different variations.

-- There are 16 different tree types all with their own unique look and color.

-- There are 18 different new crops to plant.

-- There are 2 (so far) new animals to kill.

-- You can't make ANY wooden tools

-- You can't punch trees. You CAN punch tree leaves (for sticks)

-- You can't make a metal bucket... You CAN make a wooden one.

-- You can't carry water *source* blocks.

-- Most blocks don't float now (cobble, dirt, etc). Good luck with your roof.

-- Tilled Dirt and Crops function from sun, water, nutrients, etc..

-- We have a calendar! (default N)

-- We have Seasons! that affect weather, crops, and fruit trees.

-- Biomes are replaced with a layer system. The layer system depends on temp, climate, etc..

Hunter/Gatherer and Exploration Stage:

-- Finding the right place to settle your home is important. Study up on the different Stone types and Tree types to see their properties. Other things to take note of for future use: fruit trees, Oceans(squid), Rivers, Caves/Visible ore, and any abundance of animals. Hint: Settle near a large water source.

-- Gather: (fruit trees, berry bushes, seeds, reeds, stone from the ground[they look like buttons] and sticks from tree leaves)

-- You can also find ore from picking up rocks. Ore will only drop if an ore block is located nearby. This should give you a good indication of where to settle as this will be important for a sluice farm or gold panning. (see next section)

-- There are now 18 types of seeds that can be collected from tall grass with the new agriculture system. It's easy to fill up your inventory with seeds if you don't have a chest nearby.

-- 1 stick + 1 stone on top in the crafting grid will give you a javelin that can be wielded or thrown.

-- Hunt animals: Many new animals are being added, bear, deer, etc. and each animal can be various sizes, representing growth. Animals take a while to grow (90 days) and should be growing even when a previously loaded chunk is not currently loaded.

-- Gather sticks from tree leaves to make a firestarter and a firepit. This will allow you to make torches by adding sticks to a firepit on the right.

-- Note that some vanilla items are still available but their receips might be a little different.

Stone Age:

-- Start flint knapping your basic tools. (axe, hoe, shovel, and a knife) A stone pick axe is no longer available. Using a knife on tree leaves will give more sticks.

-- Cut down trees with an axe and place a 'log' in the crafting table with your axe to get 8 wooden planks. 4 wooden planks get you the standard wooden block. Logs can also be placed on the ground in a pile. Right click a log pile to open a new GUI and add/remove logs.

-- Make a gold pan or construct a sluice to begin finding small ore nuggets. The sluice will only drop ore if a vein is found within 100 blocks around and 60 blocks deep. The goldpan is limited to 50 blocks out and 35 blocks deep. Since the prospectors pick is not available in the stone age I would recommend using the gold pan in various places a few times to 'test' if it's productive before building a sluice farm. (Edit. After playing build 49 all the way through to highest metal i've decided that both the gold pan and sluice are completly impossible for ANY type of ore farming. My best suggestion is to depend entirely on stone pick up while marking the 'hot spots' to come back later to confirm if it might be a good mine location)

-- Collect clay for clay molds and bake them in a fire for ceramic molds. Use these to collect molten metal when you start melting ore.

-- Starter ores are: Bismuthinite (Bismuth), Cassiterite (Tin) and Sphalerite(Zinc) These can be smelted in a firepit and worked on an acceptable, exposed stone block with a hammer. The stone block replaces the anvil in the stone age. Read up on the anvil page to learn how to use this.

-- You may also need a bellows on your firepit for a hotter fire.

Early Metals Age:

Things should start getting a lot more interesting now. Here's a good metals page that outlines each 'tier' of advancement.

-- Make a scribing table to start getting all your new tools, most notably, the pickaxe, saw and chisel. (hopefully you have a reed farm going!) Here's a list of all the new plans.

-- Now that you can make the prospectors pick you should start looking around for a place to build a long term mining operation. horizontal and vertical support beams may be needed when minning. Cave-ins can be devastating. (This post explains one of many ways to use the propick)

-- Your next biggest project will be the charcoal pit. You'll need charcoal for the Blommery (third project) which will make smelting a lot easier and allow access to a higher tier of metal smelting.

-- Advancing to tier 3 metals will require a metallurgy table. It's basically a crafting table used specifically to combine metals into alloys. (the 4 bars should all be liquid for it to work)

-- You should now have the time and resources to get a forge. You can use it for faster cooking and finally to get glass!

Coming Soon!

Here's a few things that are expected or rumored to be added at some point in time.

-- Animal butchering process

-- More animals

-- Different nether with a whole new feel to it.

-- Revamped Enchantment system

-- Expanded transportation system

Here are some other more in-depth guides that are available on the wiki.

Stone-Age Guide

Spotters Guide

Metallurgy Progression Guide

No you don't. Casserite now spawns everywhere, not just in one biome.

Flint is not flint, it is stone.... What version are you playing exactly?

No you don't. Casserite now spawns everywhere, not just in one biome.

Flint is not flint, it is stone.... What version are you playing exactly?

Ohh, haha.. it's been awhile I guess. I think it's #39.

i've changed the flint to stone now. Anything else?

There are several other starter metals that you can use to start progressing up the metallurgy tiers. I know bismuth is one.

The starter metals are Zinc, Bismuth and Tin. You don't make flint tools any more, you simply have to take the rocks in the ground -which now give you actually rocks instead of flint-, take two of them, place them in your crafting grid -shapeless recipe-, and shift click the result. The knapping GUI will appear, there you take out chunks of one of the rocks to make a stone tool head. Firstly you will want to make a pickaxe, to get more rocks without the need of finding them in the ground, and an axe, to chop down trees. The shape of the stone tools is the same you will later have to draw when making your plans for tools -they are in the wiki-. As much as i remember, the two i mentioned are:

XOOOX Pickaxe XOXXXX Axe

OXXXO OOOOX

XXXXX OOOOO

XXXXX OOOOX

XXXXX XOXXX

X: rock chunks you have to take

O: rock chunks you mustn't touch

Now, you will need the scribing table -the writing desk you mentioned-, which is crafted like this:

Posted Image

Go hunt some squids for their inks sacks, 'cause from each one of the ink sacks -by placing one of them in the crafting grid- you will get 16 ink -at least, that's how i think it's called.-

Now, on the scribing table GUI, you will have to place in the grid some ink in the form of the tool you want, a piece of paper in the upper slot and you will get a plan for the tool you wanted:

Posted Image

Now, for the chisel, you will need a chisel plan, which is made in this way:

XXOXX

XXOXX

XXOXX

XXOXX

XXOXX

O:ink

X:nothing

Then, you will need an anvil. It can only be made out of stone blocks, and only from the following stones: Granite, Diorite, Gabbro, Andesite, Basalt, Dacite or Rhyolite -no mixed, i think.-

Then, you will need to find some of the starter metals. Please note, this can take a long while, but you will eventually find some. The starter metals are called in that way because they melt at a low enought temperature for you to melt them in a fireplace.

Once you get the ores, be careful and don't inmediatly melt them. You will lost any melted metal if you have no ceramic molds to hold it while it's liquid. For the ceramic molds, you need to find some clay, craft it in the crafting bench like a upside down helmet and then cook it until it becomes a ceramic mold. Be sure to have enough of these, they are a must have for metalurgy.

Now you have it, place the ceramc mold in the output slot of the fireplace and wait. A single piece of ore won't completely fill the mold, you need at least 6 -as long as i know- tin ores to fill one mold. Be patience.

Now you have those unshaped ingots, save them in a chest, because now you need a hammer for the anvil. A stone hammer will do for now. This is the shape you have to make in the knapping grid:

OOOOO

OOOOO

XXOXX

XXXXX

XXXXX

Now you have your hammer, go to the anvil and place it in the lower right slot. Have your chisel head plan on the inventory, but don't use it yet. Now, take one of the unshaped metal bars and take a look at it. Is it liquid yet? then, wait until it turns solid, place it in the upper right slot and look.

Posted Image

1: where you place the ingot.

2: where you place your plans.

3-4: where you place your ingots for making a 2xIngot -explained in other post, so i won't even try to-

5: where you retrieve your 2xIngot.

6: pressing any of this buttons will move the green arrow to the right.

7: where you place the hammer.

8: pressing any of this buttons will move the green arrow to the left.

9: here you can see how close/far you're to make the tool/shaped ingot.

10: here you place flux for making 2xIngots.

11: here you will see some instructions: "Hit last", "Bend not last", etc.

What you have to do is click either the green or the red buttons, following the instructions at the side, and manage to get the green and the red arrow in the same place -like they are in the image...-. If you this right, the unshaped ingot will disappear and you will get an -insert metal name here- ingot. Take in count that anything in the anvil will cool down, and after certain point you will be unable to continue working the bar. Some metals -tin, for example- cool down faster than others. If it doesn't let you work the bar anymore, take it to the fireplace and heat it. DON'T LET IT MELT DOWN, OR ELSE YOU WILL LOST ALL YOUR WORK!

Now you finally have your metal bar, heat it up again -it still melts at the same point, so be careful-, place the chisel head plan in the anvil, place the bar and follow the instructions. Try to make it the best as possible, because the farest the green and red arrow where when you manage to make the tool, the less durability it will have when made. Now, you finally have a chisel head! place it in the crafting grid with a stick and you will get a chisel.

Place the chisel in your crafting grid, along with some cobblestone, and you will get some stone bricks. Get 8 of them, and save it for later; now, you need to make your charcoal pit. I suppose you know how to, if you don't, you can ask me or look it in the wiki.

Now, take the bricks and craft them with some charcoal to make a Bloomery:

Posted Image

With this, you will be able to melt every single ore! That is, if you also make some bellows:

Posted Image

Now, i'm not gonna explain how to make the bloomery work -lazy lazy-, so here is the TFcraft wiki page about it:

http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Bloomery

And finally, about the forge, i will do the same thing:

http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Forge

Although it isn't really necesary, it's a nice upgrade of the fireplace which burns hotter and can make glass.

I hope this is useful for you :3

Don't forget about your starting weapon.Trow a Javelin is more efficient than the axe,passive mobs will fall down with one critical hit.

Thanks a bunch everyone. I edited the OP list. Let me know if i need to add or edit anything.

You will need a saw if you want wood planks.

As long as i know, you can make planks with an axe and a single log in the crafting grid -shapeless-, although you only get one plank per log, while with the saw you can make 3 planks per log.

EDIT: also, the javelin isn't made by knapping, you just place a rock and two sticks in the crafting table in a diagonal. The rocks replace the flint in almost every recipe -i don't think it does in the vanilla's recipes-

EDIT2: Lol, i keep forgeting things. I think you actually can't plant wheat right now... at least that was what i heared, i haven't played for a while.

I think you actually can't plant wheat right now... at least that was what i heared, i haven't played for a while.

You can plant wheat, works great.

Posted Image

Then, i can build my gigantic wheat farm in my TFcraft world? o3o great!

I don't think he did... and me neither :PU i should check the changelog more often

#3 Make a firestarter (2 sticks) and firepit (throw [Q] 4 sticks on ground and right click with firestarter) Add sticks to fire GUI to start making torches.

I don't like to be wasteful, so I only drop 3 sticks for my firepit instead of 4.

i think it lights faster if you throw more sticks. and even more faster if you throw a piece of paper.

Sorry if this may have been answered but a friend and I are playing on B47 version of TF and we can't figure out how to make a pickaxe. We can't get any further. Someone mind filling me in on this? We just started playing yesterday.

No stone pickaxes or prospector's picks anymore! You can pan for gold and build a sluice to find "small" ores to make your first pickaxe/propick from, and get at the real deal. Additionally, rocks will sometimes drop small ores instead of rocks if there's a vein near the surface in the area. I've gotten the best results by just finding a spot with plenty of surface ore and grabbing every rock. I've found 7 small ores make a single ingot, regardless of what the release notes claim. You'll probably need 2 ingots because good luck finding any ore veins without a pro pick (unless you see some exposed ore in a mountain or whatever).

So how exactly is a pickaxe or something I can actually break stone with made? Is it made by knapping? Or the forge? Or like the anvil? I found that if you right click a stone block with a hammer it'll turn into an anvil.

Since there is no stone-age rock breaking tool, your only choice is to take the rocks, pan for ore and use the sluice until you got enaff of any of the starter ores -they appear in the OP- to make a bar. Then, you will have to heat those ores in your firepit -with a ceramic mold in position-, one by one until the bar loses the durability bar -that will appear after you melted the first one-, then take it out, let it cool down and work it for making an ingot. Then, you have to make your pickaxe. Hope i helped :3

Okay thanks! :) This clears a ton of stuff up!

http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Main_Page

http://www.terrafirmacraft.com/change-log/

2 good resources for info to clear up other stuff for ya. The Wiki can get outdated pretty fast but you should always read the Change-Log as it is updated more frequently. Read the full thing your first time because some stuff is explained in there that isn't on the Wiki. Even though there may have been more changes since then, the basics will be explained.

O, seriously. Have any one tied to pan for ore. I have been siting half a day panning (in real life) and I hardly got half an ingot. WHAT THE F****** HEL

And yes, I tried to Sluice, ITS WAY SLOWER

O, seriously. Have any one tied to pan for ore. I have been siting half a day panning (in real life) and I hardly got half an ingot. WHAT THE F****** HEL

And yes, I tried to Sluice, ITS WAY SLOWER

Calm down, guy : i have finded out it is way faster to it rocks for getting ores than using either sluices or panning. Although, my sluice got me tetrahedrite ._. ...

I built 8 sluice boxes in a very short amount of time. in about 5 in-game days i had plenty of small ores...

The thing is, IF there is ore in a giant radius around the sluices, they have chances of giving you a small version of that ore. EdVAard, you just got very, very unlucky, because you probably spawned in a -pretty rare- devoid of ore area. The solution? go by there, far away from home, find a good place for sluices, place them and feed them gravel/sand -as you prefer-. If they happen to get you a starter metal, it means you will get more and more of those eventually. Patience is a virtue TFC needs you to have.

Massive overhaul to the guide. I'll try to keep up with Bioxx's super fast updates.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0