Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Brodiggan

Improved Stone Knapping Interface

37 posts in this topic

The flint knapping interface could use some work. In my opinion, the two main things making it feel off right now compared to the other crafting interfaces are the extra step leaving the knapping screen and then restarting the process between crafting attempts and the need to shift click when opening the knapping screen to avoid dropping the stone you're using as a hammer.

Assuming there aren't some technical issues I'm unaware of, I think both could be fixed by a few alterations to the knapping screen, like this:

Posted Image

You'd still open the knapping screen the same way as usual (two stones in the crafting grid), but once it was open you'd have a slot for the stone you're breaking (which would be consumed as soon as you removed any flakes), a slot for the stone you're using as a hammer, and a slot for the output. If you need to create multiple stone tools, ideally there would be no need to leave the knapping screen, just drop a new stone in the input slot and it would refill the knapping grid (assuming that's feasible).

Great idea!

In addition, the player being able to drop the junk pieces of knapped stone onto the ground is sort of annoying. I guess it doesnt really cause any problems, but perhaps the knapping interface could simply delete the knapped pieces of stone, instead of putting them in the players hand. Also, for me, I sometimes accidentally am holding the shift key when I click the stone to open the knapping interface (second nature to move crafted items into the inventory with shift), and this usually results in a crash. Ive yet to narrow it down enough to submit a bug, but worth noting.

Love the idea but they will also need to change the stack count for tool heads, being able to have 64 pick heads in your back pocket is over powered if they become easy to make.

Love the idea but they will also need to change the stack count for tool heads, being able to have 64 pick heads in your back pocket is over powered if they become easy to make.

... wait... you can stack tool heads?...

... OMG... the gems i had to drop appart, just to make space for some tool heads.. THAT CAN ACTUALLY STACK?...

*Jumps through the window*

... wait... you can stack tool heads?...

... OMG... the gems i had to drop appart, just to make space for some tool heads.. THAT CAN ACTUALLY STACK?...

*Jumps through the window*

Yes they can, but don't worry. I'm very confident that there will be a reasonable limit, like with ores and logs.

I believe that Bioxx said something about NOT dropping the knnaping items into the world or it could cause trouble (read crash). This includes the crafting product and the flakes

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/1198-stone-flakes-and-arrowheads/page__view__findpost__p__10051

yeah... Though I wouldn't reduce it TOO much. Tool heads, being all of a similar shape and size - should realistically be able to be compacted fairly neatly in an inventory space like a chest. Sticks are easily bundled into fags, in the same fashion. It's when you actually bind them into the usable tool that they get a little unwieldy and hard to compact effectively. I'd say 4 would be a good stacking size for heads.

Although this does bring up a personal little bugbear of mine - why the flaming fuck are all ingots 2 Kg? All of them. This means that an ingot of aluminum would have to have a volume of 714 cubic centimeters, whereas a lead ingot that takes up the same inventory space is only around 18 cm3 in size. How the actual fuck does that make any sense. It's like that resident evil 5 shit where you can have enough ammo to shame the US Navy but can barely hold a few bits of old plant leaf

Love this. Would make the Stone Age way more bearable. Heh.

Nice I like it. Btw Eternal I believe the bloomery is the only place that references the weight of the ingots. Simply changing the display to units of volume would fix that.

I don't know if this has been suggested before (I looked back in the suggestions about a month and didn't see anything like it), but to make Knapping easier, why not add a "holding area" or something where, while in the Knapping GUI, instead of going to a crafting table or the player crafting gui and clicking two stones, the player can just take a stone for the "holding area" and continue Knapping. I think it could make making stone tools less of a headache. To me, at least. What do I know, I've only been playing this mod for a week.

Basically, I'm asking if an option could be added to continue Knapping from the GUI instead of exiting and opening again.

Since this was the original thread and this one has effort put into a test gui, I'm bumping. Time to let the new one die.

Transplanting post. :U

Multiple stages of brokenness for each rock-tile in the knapping GUI (ie: fine -> cracked -> really cracked -> broken), semi-randomly generated tiles on opening of GUI, knapping a tile knaps the four adjacent (plus shape) tiles. Some rocks would be doomed to fail, and user error might screw a knap, but the idea should generally work most of the time as long as you work from the outside, in. You could also make it so that sixteen (example) strikes consumes a stone from your inventory (as long as you had more you could continue knapping though) to really add pressure, but that might not be as viable in my head as it is in practice.

Feel free to run with that idea if you think it's unsatisfactory.

Transplanting post. :U

Wouldn't that meant you would have to add a durability bar to the rock you are using to give form to the other? I can see this being difficult :

Wouldn't that meant you would have to add a durability bar to the rock you are using to give form to the other? I can see this being difficult :

That's one way to do it, I guess, but I was thinking of doing with without a bar at all.

Since this was the original thread and this one has effort put into a test gui, I'm bumping. Time to let the new one die.

Well, sorry for being new :P. I'll search harder next time to find similar posts. I think, though, my thread revived this one, looking at the time stamps.

Anyway, this is exactly what I was thinking about. Being able to place another stone in the GUI would help greatly.

I was going to post something similar, but I searched and found this.

Something simple (hopefully): when the player clicks on the item in the output slot, just change the GUI back to the original with the 2x2 crafting and the armour.

Not bad, i think... But i still prefer OP's idea, honestly :/

Approve.

um hey there, just so you know, theres a like button on the right of the post that you can click to show your support instead of making an unnecessary bump for the thread

thanks

oh and this might be a little late, but

WELCOME TOTHE FORUMS!!!!

Ok, one bugbear for me, why are the stone tools (pickaxe, prospector's pick) still obtainable by hacking(TMI, NEI) if one of the changelogs said they were removed? Plus, I don't see any problem in knapping out a stone pick in the early game instead of having to wait for a metal to be mined(sphalerite, bismuthinite, cassiterite, etc.).

Btw, I support OP's idea!

Edited by darthvader45

By removal they meant they aren't obtainable in survival anymore. They don't expect you to cheat them in.

And because most rocks have the same hardness, you can't mine rock with a rock pickaxe. It's not the same as knapping; in knapping you take advantage of the geometry of the rocks you have to give them the shape you need 'em to have. MC rocks have no geometry to speak of, except that of a perfect, colored cube; your stone pickaxe will, then, break before you get to mine one block.