Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Brodiggan

Improved Stone Knapping Interface

37 posts in this topic

Ok, one bugbear for me, why are the stone tools (pickaxe, prospector's pick) still obtainable by hacking(TMI, NEI) if one of the changelogs said they were removed? Plus, I don't see any problem in knapping out a stone pick in the early game instead of having to wait for a metal to be mined(sphalerite, bismuthinite, cassiterite, etc.).

Btw, I support OP's idea!

The reason is, like vanilla blocks, they were not actually REMOVED, just removed from the game. They can't be obtained legitimately, just like how vanilla blocks can't be gained by means other than hacking. For your second statement,

Sure. I know about the Mohs scale. But all the ROCK (not minerals, rock) in TFC are essentially the same hardness, and thus would break each other as easily as a pickaxe is meant to.

Of course, taking advantage of the geometry would help, but attempting to code that would not be practical. And the rock in Minecraft is represented as a solid piece of rock, so there is no real geometry to work with, unless you are mining on a corner, but coding that would most likely be horrible. If you did break a stone with the same hardness stone, the only way you would be able to viably do that is by taking advantage of cracks in the stone, which is not really a Minecraft-viable thing to do.

And hardness isn't even the main factor. Brittleness is. Stone is extremely brittle, and that is why it is possible to knap stones as the molecular structure of stones is not very resistant to impact, and breaks off easily. Metal (unless cooled and microcrystals form in it) is not very brittle. This is the main reason why a Copper pick (hardness 3.5) can break a block of Basalt which is ~5 hardness (because of the plagioclase, it is an average of ~5). If you did that with basalt however, the stone would shatter after a few ten hits or so. The metal, as it is less brittle, and is more flexible will, instead of shattering on impact, flex, and absorb some of the impact, and transfer the force behind the swing into the stone, and shatter the stone and not the pick. Stronger, more flexible, less brittle alloys (and denser metals/alloys) can do this more efficiently and deliver more force to the stone, thus breaking it fatser.

TL;DR MC Metre cubed rocks have no advantageous geometry to use, they are just cubes.

. In this thread: http://terrafirmacra...-stone-pickaxe/

You can see the answers for BOTH your questions.

EDIT: Ninja'ed by JAG

Nice little change - full support!

Allow you to knap more stones in the same interface?

k.

The reason is, like vanilla blocks, they were not actually REMOVED, just removed from the game. They can't be obtained legitimately, just like how vanilla blocks can't be gained by means other than hacking. For your second statement,

TL;DR MC Metre cubed rocks have no advantageous geometry to use, they are just cubes.

. In this thread: http://terrafirmacra...-stone-pickaxe/

You can see the answers for BOTH your questions.

EDIT: Ninja'ed by JAG

Yeah, and on a different topic, some rocks are harder than others, and should last longer, as in basalt is way harder than say, shale. Depending on how hard a rock is, it would affect a tool's durability. Why should shale last as long as basalt? It's not quite challenging. Adding differing strengths to rocks would add more challenge, as it would force the player to search long and hard for a strong stone that can handle being used for a long period of time.

Yeah, and on a different topic, some rocks are harder than others, and should last longer, as in basalt is way harder than say, shale. Depending on how hard a rock is, it would affect a tool's durability. Why should shale last as long as basalt? It's not quite challenging. Adding differing strengths to rocks would add more challenge, as it would force the player to search long and hard for a strong stone that can handle being used for a long period of time.

Actually, that DOES happen. Sedimentary rocks are the weakest, then Metamorphic, Igneous Intrusive, and the Igneous Extrusive is the strongest type of rock.

Some metamorphic rocks a very strong... I.E. marble is very hard.. Maybe harder than some igneous.

Gneiss and Slate... Are very weak... Weaker than most sedimentary rocks. Comparable to shale, Or mudstone/siltstone.

And quartzite.... Is also very hard... I've tried to chisel that stone... Not easy. Limestone shouldn't be sneezed at either...

I think two different stones should bring up a knapping interface. But, the weaker stone gets shaped into a tool.

Some metamorphic rocks a very strong... I.E. marble is very hard.. Maybe harder than some igneous.

Gneiss and Slate... Are very weak... Weaker than most sedimentary rocks. Comparable to shale, Or mudstone/siltstone.

And quartzite.... Is also very hard... I've tried to chisel that stone... Not easy. Limestone shouldn't be sneezed at either...

I think two different stones should bring up a knapping interface. But, the weaker stone gets shaped into a tool.

Diorite would be another good rock, hard enough to shape granite. Much of this would probably need a recode of rock types though.

If it hasn't been mentioned, maybe improve it so you aren't picking up a dummy piece while knapping. Its kind of annoying, and it looks really stupid, in my opinion.

If it hasn't been mentioned, maybe improve it so you aren't picking up a dummy piece while knapping. Its kind of annoying, and it looks really stupid, in my opinion.

While I agree, note that if you hold shift while knapping you won't pick them up.

While I agree, note that if you hold shift while knapping you won't pick them up.

Thanks for the tip. However, it'd be better if it wasn't needed. One other suggestion, what about just clicking a button to do that after you've knapped one design? I find myself making tons of stone shovels at the point I am at, and it'd be nice if I could just mass produce thirty shovel heads.

No mass production. It's the stone age, a time when things were made as they were needed, a few spare heads would have been carried but the time was still spent in making them.

No mass production. It's the stone age, a time when things were made as they were needed, a few spare heads would have been carried but the time was still spent in making them.

I know, its just my little concern, think nothing of it. However, on a side note, it might be nice to have stone chisels. Only for three or four uses, but able to chisel sedimentary rock, and the chisel should be made of some form of igneous rock. Just an idea.