Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
kotoroshinoto

Make beds buildable rather than craftable?

62 posts in this topic

I dont know how difficult it would be to do this in terms of the codebase, but it would be nice if we had some more options for designing and placing beds.

Maybe implement a way to create bedding material, so in the stone age the bed would be like a pile of straw/leaves/etc, and you could then go on to create bedframes.

Once you place the frames down in the right configuration, they'd create an entity you could interact with. In a similar fashion to how railcraft's build-able furnaces recognize they've been constructed.

After crafting mattresses, make a shift click to the bedframe open a sort of inventory-like thing where you can put in mattress/sheets/pillows and then have it render according to whats been put in it?

Personally it doesnt feel like it makes much sense for a stone age person to have a modernish bed, and at the same time I feel fairly limited by all beds being exactly alike. There should be some sort of progression, maybe the higher tier material beds would allow drawers, so it would have an inventory along with the menu for bed parts. (like wrought iron or steel frame vs wood frame?)

totally up to you guys if you want that sort of mechanism.

This sounds like the kind of thing I would enjoy, but to be honest I feel it may be overkill for such a (relatively) minor feature of the mod. I love the idea of "tiered" beds, but there is no point in them unless there is a benefit to having better bedding. One might call it a "Bedefit" .. That was just terrible >.<

I'd definitely like to see beds crafted a different way, but going into complex features with them isn't needed.

There are bolts of fabric and colored beds in the game, though, but they're currently unobtainable.

This sounds like the kind of thing I would enjoy, but to be honest I feel it may be overkill for such a (relatively) minor feature of the mod. I love the idea of "tiered" beds, but there is no point in them unless there is a benefit to having better bedding. One might call it a "Bedefit" .. That was just terrible >.<

not every feature has to absolutely have a tangible use, decorative abilities are important. Otherwise why bother with colored wool at all?

Heck if you REALLY think it needs a use maybe the devs should add a rest meter. Don't make not resting fatal, just make being very well rested allow you to work more efficiently? Use slightly less food bar over time, and be less thirsty over time if you end up adding thirst.

Then the higher beds could give you more rest per night.

not every feature has to absolutely have a tangible use, decorative abilities are important. Otherwise why bother with colored wool at all?

Heck if you REALLY think it needs a use maybe the devs should add a rest meter. Don't make not resting fatal, just make being very well rested allow you to work more efficiently? Use slightly less food bar over time, and be less thirsty over time if you end up adding thirst.

I know that not all systems really need a tangible use, but something as in depth and big as "tiered" beds (I feel) would be hard to justify on the basis of aesthetics alone :/

Don't get me wrong mate, I am 100% with you in theory, I just don't see it happening :/

As for the rest system, this has been proposed many times, but it opens a whole new can of worms :S

This sounds like a good idea.

Not any major mechanic, just "Well rested", "rested" and "tired" based on the quality of your bedding. Small factors on food and efficiency. Maybe tools break more easily when tired because you're sloppy. Maybe your aim with javelins and bows is a little less accurate, etc.

I know that not all systems really need a tangible use, but something as in depth and big as "tiered" beds (I feel) would be hard to justify on the basis of aesthetics alone :/

Don't get me wrong mate, I am 100% with you in theory, I just don't see it happening :/

As for the rest system, this has been proposed many times, but it opens a whole new can of worms :S

ya, but I dont see it as a big hated thing so long as you don't make it absolutely necessary, or even especially harmful.

It would also give some purpose to sleep in SMP when there are too many players on that aren't close to beds, the benefit wouldn't have to wait for the night-day advance, it could be based on clock-check from when you got into the bed to when you got out.

ya, but I dont see it as a big hated thing so long as you don't make it absolutely necessary, or even especially harmful.

It would also give some purpose to sleep in SMP when there are too many players on that aren't close to beds, the benefit wouldn't have to wait for the night-day advance, it could be based on clock-check from when you got into the bed to when you got out.

Oh, I'm not suggesting that it would be hated at all (I would love it in fact). What I am suggesting is that once you start adding bars, where do you draw the line. I realised this when trying to tender my "Hardcore Mode" suggestion.

Another thing to note is that if you make it too "weak" a debuff, I suspect many people would question the point in it at all :P

Oh, I'm not suggesting that it would be hated at all (I would love it in fact). What I am suggesting is that once you start adding bars, where do you draw the line. I realised this when trying to tender my "Hardcore Mode" suggestion.

Another thing to note is that if you make it too "weak" a debuff, I suspect many people would question the point in it at all :P

Thats why they call it "balance"

Thats why they call it "balance"

Fair comment, my scepticism remains, but I would be happy to see this implemented :)

I just don't think it will be :S

lol in the vein of "where do we draw the line?" Add a pair of toilet bars for #1 and #2

In all seriousness though, more developed beds would be nice, even if they were just recipes used on the basic bed

I'd love to be able to craft straw beds from wheat or leaves. Or have a different art 2x2 bed for an upgrade to the current bed.

If you're going to make this into progression, have it so sheep don't drop wool at all. That way, only when you get metals and shears can you make that modern bed :)

okay... my 2 cents.

Have a straw bed craftable with 8 wheat in a chest shape. The straw bed is not very comfortable however, which translates to you not being able to sleep in it as early or stay asleep as late. Whatever time mobs begin spawning at (I think 6 pm?), you need to wait 1 hour after that to use the bed. Similarly, you'll also wake an hour before dawn.

This lessens enemy mob interaction, but doesn't remove it the way a normal bed does. There is now a tangible, frowning green downside to the use of straw beds.

The vanilla bed recipe will change to instead produce a stuffed cot. It will work just like the vanilla bed, just with a new skin and a name change.

Then, once cloth is implemented, make it a requirement for vanilla beds. This prevents normal bed use until you can start weaving. To tier the vanilla bed above the cot... idk, perhaps you'd get some sort of minor buff after waking up in it, like Haste 1 for 3:00 or something.

I don't really like the idea of buffs from stuff other than potions and herbs tho, so suggestions are welcome

okay... my 2 cents.

Have a straw bed craftable with 8 wheat in a chest shape. The straw bed is not very comfortable however, which translates to you not being able to sleep in it as early or stay asleep as late. Whatever time mobs begin spawning at (I think 6 pm?), you need to wait 1 hour after that to use the bed. Similarly, you'll also wake an hour before dawn.

This lessens enemy mob interaction, but doesn't remove it the way a normal bed does. There is now a tangible, frowning green downside to the use of straw beds.

The vanilla bed recipe will change to instead produce a stuffed cot. It will work just like the vanilla bed, just with a new skin and a name change.

Then, once cloth is implemented, make it a requirement for vanilla beds. This prevents normal bed use until you can start weaving. To tier the vanilla bed above the cot... idk, perhaps you'd get some sort of minor buff after waking up in it, like Haste 1 for 3:00 or something.

I don't really like the idea of buffs from stuff other than potions and herbs tho, so suggestions are welcome

sleeping in a vanilla bed is possible at any time in the day and will bump you to either day or night, depending on what time you slept.

sleeping in a vanilla bed is possible at any time in the day and will bump you to either day or night, depending on what time you slept.

...ooh.

Me gusta...

OH! OR!

Sleeping in the vanilla bed gives the option for a somnia-like simulation of the world!

Less waiting for those charcoal pits, or for that ore to melt down! ^_^

Beds will in the future be a later-game sort of thing, harder to obtain and really only for show, as they would function just the same as a pile of furs or hides on the ground

Beds will in the future be a later-game sort of thing, harder to obtain and really only for show, as they would function just the same as a pile of furs or hides on the ground

seriously? theres really no incentive for better beds?, so even though you have a full house, working forge and higher technology, you have no reason not to sleep like a caveman in a pile of furs

makes so much sence!

seriously? theres really no incentive for better beds?, so even though you have a full house, working forge and higher technology, you have no reason not to sleep like a caveman in a pile of furs

makes so much sence!

haha. Funny. We can't give you buffs just for sleeping and we can't make sleeping like a caveman hurt you. What do you want.

haha. Funny. We can't give you buffs just for sleeping and we can't make sleeping like a caveman hurt you. What do you want.

But isn't sleeping like a caveman very bad for you IRL anyway?

I've slept on floors plenty, and it's never as restful and my back always kills me the next morning

That's the problem though we would have to make a buff called "sore".

But isn't sleeping like a caveman very bad for you IRL anyway?

I've slept on floors plenty, and it's never as restful and my back always kills me the next morning

Yes but a cavemen wouldn’t be sore the next morning because a cavemen sleeps like a cavemen all his life (being a cavemen and all).

My point is that we adapt to our situation and if you are forced to sleep on the ground each day after a while you won’t be sore anymore. Not to mention that Steve does wake up in the middle of nowhere which suggests that he was sleeping on the ground :P.

can't we add some kind of "energy" bar that goes down as you are awake things like running jumping fighting and swimming will make this go down

you can replenish it by sleeping and better beds would replenish more because you get a better night's sleep

or having a better bed would make it so your energy goes down slower for a while

Has anyone ever slept on a pile of furs? Fur is softer than many of the beds that I've slept on. The only reason we don't sleep on a mattress on the floor is because of aesthetics, such is the way of TFC.

Has anyone ever slept on a pile of furs? Fur is softer than many of the beds that I've slept on. The only reason we don't sleep on a mattress on the floor is because of aesthetics, such is the way of TFC.

Well I know that I personally find it easier to get out of and into bed when the bed is at hip level.

Really it's less of a comfort issue and more of a 'getting up and down hurts my knees/back' issue.

But now I really am nitpicking, since none of that has to do with steve. I concede your point.

what about cheking that the area is suitable before letting you sleep?, by example...it should have walls and a ceiling, so you cant just sleep in the middle of the jungle, it should have a fireplace because the night is too cold to sleep..etc =P