Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MDub

Beasts of Burden

21 posts in this topic

So I've been sorta kicking around the idea of introducing some type of machanic which would allow the player to use domesticated cattle as pack animals. I've got some ideas, and am trying to make them a bit less nebulus, and sorta tie the idea into some of the other machanics in the game, but I dont know if this idea has already been discussed. If it has, could someone point me to thread?

My starting point is the idea that there could be a craftable item something like backpack meets saddle which one could place on domesticated animals, forcing some sort of following AI on the part of the animal, or perhaps functioning like a saddle and allowing the player to steer while riding it. I think that if it were done in such a way that the animal could no longer fit through 1 block wide 2 block tall openings and need say 3 blocks wide (one block on either side of the animal for the satchels), it could give the player more of an incentive to use the supports and build larger more accomidating mineshafts. Although I could also see that aspect mitigating the usefullness by requiring so much extra effort to get pack animals to the mines. The animals could be brought down into a mineshaft, and stabled in some way, loaded up with goodies, then brough back up to the surface with a boat load of ore and gems on them. It would also be very useful for migrating to a new location in search of better ores. Thoughts?

There was a thread about this somewhere in regards to horses as the animal, saddlebags and all that stuff that you might find interesting or add this to. Didn't find the link but yeah pack animals would be nice because making enough rail to travel enough distance to be worth the effort and material is pretty end game stuff.

Edit - Found said topic and Dunk pretty much confirmed something like this being added. Cheers.

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/710-horses/page__p__2835__hl__+horses%20+saddle%20+bags__fromsearch__1#entry2835

Jed, while rail systems where not documented well until 1767, there were rudimentary systems, and let's face it, what civilization had access to all the materials that are present within walking distance in TFC? i think it would be logical to allow some systems including rail. Of the top of my head, i can think of a few systems. The Egyptians used a system of sleds, which were able to be pulled by hand, Canals, while not widely used until the middle ages, were used in the 1st century BC in Nan yang. which makes me think that a barge + lock and canal system would be very challenging, and fun. Which could be coupled with beasts of burden, if the locks are not used, as ponies, and mules were used to pull craft upstream. the Rutways you mentioned in the other post was interesting, and i think would be within the bounds of the mod. but definitely something i think should be added, is a pack system, backpacks are able to distibute weight across your body well, increases how much Volume and weight are feasibly carry able.

I don't know guys. Is there anywhere far enough that you will spend the time coaxing a cow to follow you the whole way instead of just doing it in two trips?

I don't know guys. Is there anywhere far enough that you will spend the time coaxing a cow to follow you the whole way instead of just doing it in two trips?

i think that the steerable saddle option is pretty good.

i think that the steerable saddle option is pretty good.

I don't think we'll be giving you mounts.

]

:<

Sad, when historically horses have been about as unnecessary as air

]

:<

Sad, when historically horses have been about as unnecessary as air

so was having sex to propagate the species, but you don't see us adding that do you.

so was having sex to propagate the species, but you don't see us adding that do you.

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll... >_>

Edit:

Dunk, we now require a Barry White music disk. Make this a thing, for the love of god.

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll... >_>

Edit:

Dunk, we now require a Barry White music disk. Make this a thing, for the love of god.

yeah lol and it could increase the likelihood that two animals that hear it would mate

Jed, while rail systems where not documented well until 1767, there were rudimentary systems, and let's face it, what civilization had access to all the materials that are present within walking distance in TFC? i think it would be logical to allow some systems including rail. Of the top of my head, i can think of a few systems. The Egyptians used a system of sleds, which were able to be pulled by hand, Canals, while not widely used until the middle ages, were used in the 1st century BC in Nan yang. which makes me think that a barge + lock and canal system would be very challenging, and fun. Which could be coupled with beasts of burden, if the locks are not used, as ponies, and mules were used to pull craft upstream. the Rutways you mentioned in the other post was interesting, and i think would be within the bounds of the mod. but definitely something i think should be added, is a pack system, backpacks are able to distibute weight across your body well, increases how much Volume and weight are feasibly carry able.

I don't think you really read my research. Firstly I was basing it on western Europe, hence not mentioning canals. Secondly, I did not say there were no rails, merely no metal rails, which is totally different.

I never said it had to be faster than walking. it should probably actually be slower, to balance the bigger inventory. I'd imagine that a mule carrying 5 tons of cobble isn't going to be running like a humming bird on crack.

I never said it had to be faster than walking. it should probably actually be slower, to balance the bigger inventory. I'd imagine that a mule carrying 5 tons of cobble isn't going to be running like a humming bird on crack.

I feel rather mean by saying this, but I just don't want to program it.

Animals take a lot of time to program. Hours and hours and hours. I've been working on deer since mid-june.

Animals take a lot of time to program. Hours and hours and hours. I've been working on deer since mid-june.

There's no meanness in that. If something is too much work, it is too much work. There's no reason to feel bad about it. Many people (myself included) underestimate the work involved in implementing these features because we don't know :)

While I was about to post more content on the idea here this morning, if the developer behind animals says its alot of work, and has reservations about coding it, I wont argue the point. Ill try to contribute to the rails idea a bit more. Seems like a simpler solution to transporting mass quantites of stuff.

with the controls for boats and the ability to mount pigs already coded into the base minecraft, would it be possible to pull that functionality in, or would it still have to be coded from the ground up?, (it could be one of the last features implemented before release)

I had also thought of many places where code could be stolen, such as the following AI when the player is holding wheat (I imaing it would be pretty similar), the logic to show the saddle on pigs and whatnot, but without knowing anything about the object model, we have to trust dunkle when he says it would be complex and time consuming. I've been in his shoes, and if theres an easier way to do it (with rails or whatver) I fully support the decision.

Also, hows the cross platform version of that code I sent ya coming along?

Ouch. Yeah, no worries then. It's better when people work at their own pace than when they rush through trying to cover a lot of ground.

Sorry jed, didn't see that it was strictly western europe, although i would like to point out that italy is probably considered West europe, and that was in the 14th century or so, that they emerged there.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0