Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Jed1314

Period Appropriate Transport + Logistics

102 posts in this topic

And if I come off as an unsufferable dick, it's because I find people who want to make this mod arbitrarily harder instead of more rewardingly difficult to be about as sane and enjoyable to interact with as Scientologists.

Hopefully, one day, we will come to some kind of middle ground agreement :)

The story about the chemist is a great parable, I will tell anybody who does something similar that :)

That's a bit harsh dude... these guys at least have the prerequisite intelligence to be able to install and play TFC in the first place, you MUST concede

I win, or I lose.

I never concede.

But, yes, they do seem to be able to install the Mod. Allegedly.

I win, or I lose.

I never concede.

But, yes, they do seem to be able to install the Mod. Allegedly.

I can confirm that I, at least, can install the mod :)

I can be equally as stubborn, so I can't really criticize that :P

Still, I think there will surely be a solution that is amicable to both of us ?

I can confirm that I, at least, can install the mod :)

I can be equally as stubborn, so I can't really criticize that :P

Still, I think there will surely be a solution that is amicable to both of us ?

Honestly, I think there needs to be many, many more config settings in the config files. Settings for things like ore density and distribution (roughly speaking, how much ore there is in the world and what percentages of that ore are what), and, at least for now, until there is some better way to store things, such as open air storage or storage bins for holding a single type of item, an option to use vanilla chests.

Simply a boolean option for vanilla or nerfed chests would pretty much satisfy me 100% at the moment.

Honestly, I think there needs to be many, many more config settings in the config files. Settings for things like ore density and distribution (roughly speaking, how much ore there is in the world and what percentages of that ore are what), and, at least for now, until there is some better way to store things, such as open air storage or storage bins for holding a single type of item, an option to use vanilla chests.

Simply a boolean option for vanilla or nerfed chests would pretty much satisfy me 100% at the moment.

I can see why you want this, and Bioxx hasn't really set a precedent against config files (after all, he does allow for config of the cave in chance). Perhaps when B47 comes, and ore gen changes, he may make steps towards making the mod more customisable, I certainly wouldn't have a problem with it.

The difficulty comes later, when Bioxx has to decide which features you can and can't configure, for example, would he remove the temporary config option for vanilla chests when open air storage comes ? Letting people pick which parts of the game they want to be hard can ruin the integrity of the game and taking away temporary features can cause a stink (like removing the temporary placeholder vanilla chests has).

I can see why you want this, and Bioxx hasn't really set a precedent against config files (after all, he does allow for config of the cave in chance). Perhaps when B47 comes, and ore gen changes, he may make steps towards making the mod more customisable, I certainly wouldn't have a problem with it.

The difficulty comes later, when Bioxx has to decide which features you can and can't configure, for example, would he remove the temporary config option for vanilla chests when open air storage comes ? Letting people pick which parts of the game they want to be hard can ruin the integrity of the game and taking away temporary features can cause a stink (like removing the temporary placeholder vanilla chests has).

What would happen if, say, someone with an understanding of computer programming decided to take the mod and make a mod of the mod that reimplemented vanilla chests?

[edited for spelling. Holy fuck it's 7AM I've been up for 27 hours]

Edited by cevkiv

What would happen if, say, someone with an understanding of computer programming decided to take the mod and make a mod of the mod that reimplemented vanilla chests?

Well I don't think Bioxx is opposed to add-ons, and although it would be functionally identical, I think that would probably be a much more feasible solution than Bioxx adding configs. Who knows, perhaps this someone could release an addon with a full suite of configuration options.

Dear god man, you should probably sleep. I presumed you lived somewhere where it was still a sensible time :P

Well I don't think Bioxx is opposed to add-ons, and although it would be functionally identical, I think that would probably be a much more feasible solution than Bioxx adding configs. Who knows, perhaps this someone could release an addon with a full suite of configuration options.

Dear god man, you should probably sleep. I presumed you lived somewhere where it was still a sensible time :P

To mangle a quote which I think is from M*A*S*H, "It's always a sensible time somewhere."

To mangle a quote which I think is from M*A*S*H, "It's always a sensible time somewhere."

Haha :P You sound a bit like me when it's midday on a weekend and I'm tired of being sober :L

Haha :P You sound a bit like me when it's midday on a weekend and I'm tired of being sober :L

General: "Break out the scotch."

Colonel: "Sir, it's 10 in the morning."

General: "You're right. Make it brandy."

General: "Break out the scotch."

Colonel: "Sir, it's 10 in the morning."

General: "You're right. Make it brandy."

Yep, definitely me.

Man, this is so off topic it's unreal o.o

Yep, definitely me.

Man, this is so off topic it's unreal o.o

I'm drawing a blank on pun's. Maybe it's the brandy?

Lol nope. I'm gonna go design said water screw!

My biggest issue with taking any kind of chemistry course is the lab section. Specifically the other students in the lab. The last three times I've taken a chemistry course, the following things have happened in labs:

People leaving the stoppers off of fuming hydrochloric and nitric acids.

People contaminating source containers.

People improperly disposing of waste products ("I'll just throw this mercury in the trash. Literally throw it from where I'm standing to the bin 15 feet away")

People not paying attention to the safety instructions There was one point in a lab where a girl got doused with hydrochloric acid, not strong stuff, by another student. Everyone except the lab and instructor and myself stared in horror. While the instructor made her way through all the gawking students and tried to get them to leave the room, I was the only person with enough sense to grab the big box of baking soda and throw it all over the girl, since it was between me and her, and she was between me and the decon shower. There are other examples, but that's the most immediately dangerous one.

People not knowing basic principles of chemistry (which overlap with safety instructions) like "Do not mix HCl and NaOH unless you know what you're doing," "Add acid to water, not water to acid," "Never pipette with your mouth. I don't care if you're sure it's not aqua regia, don't pipette with your mouth."

Then there was the fuckwit who deigned to eat in the middle of the lab after we'd been handling cyanide compounds.

Maybe through tall grass. And maybe have it spread, so that areas have to be "mowed"?

Hm.

What about this:

Grass blocks have a small percentage chance per (Minecraft atomic unit of time) to grow from just grassy blocks to containing tall grass, the same way wheat and netherwart have a small percentage chance over time to grow up a size category.

A player walking over a block of grass increments a counter for the block. This counter decays at a steady rate. While the counter is > 0, no tall grass can grow on the block. If the counter reaches a certain threshold, the block reverts to dirt instead of grass, as the constant traffic back and forth has killed the grass.

My BBF's backyard has a "trail" in it running from the steps of his back porch to his detached garage where years of people walking to and fro has killed the grass.

To be perfectly honest, I did not like you very much from the other posts you've made around here.

However right now, I can't help but deeply and painfully sympathize. The reason I always elected to do all labwork by myself (and yet mysteriously only ever took 10 minutes longer than everyone else, rather than double) was the knowledge that I'd be asking my partner to sign a waiver by the end of class.

Because, you know, benzyne is something you wanna take a deep full inhale of.

I hate humans.

This is why I've always been glad all of my friends are smart as fuck.

Also, minecraft's unit of time is 1/20th of a second. And yeah, I could make grass grow.

We update waaaay too frequently for that to be feasible.

Also, minecraft's unit of time is 1/20th of a second. And yeah, I could make grass grow.

I actually really like Cevkiv's idea of slowing movement through grass... I would add it to the OP, but I feel like the discussion has moved on too much to change the opening post now :P

We update waaaay too frequently for that to be feasible.

But one day, the updates will stabalize and add-ons will be feasible ... Riiiiiigghhhtt ? ¬.¬

But one day, the updates will stabalize and add-ons will be feasible ... Riiiiiigghhhtt ? ¬.¬

maybe one day, i guess, but we might just handle it case by case at that point. We're not trying to torture you lol.

maybe one day, i guess, but we might just handle it case by case at that point. We're not trying to torture you lol.

I know, I am actually very thankful for the frequent updates :)

just wait until you take a microbio lab, the things people do after touching potentially pathogenic cultures.....

just wait until you take a microbio lab, the things people do after touching potentially pathogenic cultures.....

most of my friends are harvard students now lol. And it sounds like i'm going to be opting to work alone lol

As a biologist, I will tell you just a few of the things I have personally watched people do after handling live Staphylococcus aureus and NOT washing their hands;

Eat lunch/a snack

Rub their eyes

Medically treat small wounds

Handle their books/pens

Leave the room, touching the door handles

And the list goes on

...These are supposed to be college students.

As a biologist, I will tell you just a few of the things I have personally watched people do after handling live Staphylococcus aureus and NOT washing their hands;

Eat lunch/a snack

Rub their eyes

Medically treat small wounds

Handle their books/pens

Leave the room, touching the door handles

And the list goes on

...These are supposed to be college students.

Staying away from my uni's biology department. Just saying, if I ever get ill again while I'm at uni, I'm blaming you guys ¬.¬ :P

I'm reminded of two army researchers who once did the thing where you fan air from the top of a test tube towards your nose to see if there's a smell without straight up snorting the stuff.

The test tube contained ebolavirus.

I'm reminded of two army researchers who once did the thing where you fan air from the top of a test tube towards your nose to see if there's a smell without straight up snorting the stuff.

The test tube contained ebolavirus.

That was actually false

The tube was SUPPOSED to contain ebola, but someone in the lab fucked up and it wasn't actually in there. The dudes got away with their lives intact, if not their reputation

Lawl off topic again. And i note you all are scientists... I'm into Manufacturing. Still in high school.