Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Buzhwaz

Things That Are Too Easy

52 posts in this topic

sweet! this is exactly what i was talking about! just a little more effort to get over being a caveman. can't wait!

your wish has been slightly granted, and will probably continue to be granted over the next week or so.

I like this, but crafting table should be 3 planks and 1 leather and javelin should be 1 rock, 1 stick, and 1 string, and string needs to be easier to get. This will make it harder but not too hard. And you should get meat from killing with javelins... that's silly. Unless you take the extra steck of harvesting the carcass.

1. This is interesting. Maybe we could have a whole new crafting table with tiers? The first tier would be made with some wood and stone tools, and you would upgrade it with metal tools and other things(maybe even a multi-block, multipurpose artisan's table??).

2. Beds are fine as they are.

3. Javelin is total garbage, like it should be. The fact that they don't stack and are only sometimes retrievable makes them not worth using in the long run.

4. All of these have been suggested countless times. Most of them have been confirmed.

If traps get implemented, they'll work with real mobs. Fishing is already being rehauled to have actual mobs.

Killing food isn't too easy, you're being ridiculous. Animals aren't hard to kill. Spearing something with a javelin doesn't make it unfit for eating, either.

MAKING a javelin out of metal eliminates the purpose of the javelin, which is supposed to be a stone-age ranged weapon.

1. no.

2. nope.

3. no sir.

4. true, food isn't a problem. and fish are still kinda loopy right now, but if you guys want an update on the deer....

post-236-0-77054200-1344495573_thumb.png

1. no.

2. nope.

3. no sir.

4. true, food isn't a problem. and fish are still kinda loopy right now, but if you guys want an update on the deer....

...deer have a cutie mark?

Well they are somewhat related to equine afterall XD

fuck no. The silly textures won't mirror. See the white patch on the left side legs? That's supposed to be facing in, but it won't do it properly. The purple is supposed to face inwards so no one ever sees it

Get that brony shit out of here.

Dunk they look pretty good. How much more work is needed on them?

nuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!! the stone age is just fine :( dont make it harder ;(

>.> dude.... f*** u..... bronys are awsome. theres 4 million of us and only 1 of u >.> now hush yo face

yaya a fellow browny :D

fuck no. The silly textures won't mirror. See the white patch on the left side legs? That's supposed to be facing in, but it won't do it properly. The purple is supposed to face inwards so no one ever sees it

Hmmmm... is this an easy fix?

It's cool bro. Gonna love and tolerate the shit outta you

Awww, awesome to meet some brony friends :lol: .

But I can understand if people get mad about us for mentioning it in every part of the internet, so for the peace of the forum, I will leave this here.

Back to the thread... god these deers look awesome. Untill today I only have seen other animals with Mo's Creatures and these look so much more realistic.

For the things ancientpower mentioned: I think the beds ae a very tricky part: on one hand they are needed quite early, cause waiting through every night is annoying, but on the other hand they are to easy to make. Maybe you could some alternatives to them in the early game, like moss-beds or something like this, where you get a debuff or your health drops because you have to sleep on the cold ground. So beds would be more valuable for the player.

I over reacted earlier, but that's no excuse to discriminate against someone:/

As for the deer, they're pretty close to being complete. (although that's nearly impossible to say as a programmer) the hardest part was getting the animation and rendering so far. I still have to finish the walking animation for the hind legs, add in a separate running animation, fix some rendering while jumping (allow them to jump I said they would last month) add in the herd AI, make them scared of players, wolves and bears, make bears and wolves hunt them... So not much :)

>.> dude.... f*** u..... bronys are awsome. theres 4 million of us and only 1 of u >.> now hush yo face

Oi. Like I said above, we don't tolerate rudeness. I used the f-word, but not directed at some one. Watch yourself.

Hmmmm... is this an easy fix?

It's cool bro. Gonna love and tolerate the shit outta you

no clue. It shouldn't be happening. You probably noticed when changing your character's texture on minecraft.net that there is only one texture for the arm. This is because it is mirrored so that the same image is on the outside of both arms. No matter what I do, (Thigh2.mirror = true; Thigh2.mirror = false;) both result in the same issue. It's not mirrored. Can't say how easy it is to fix til I figure why it happened.

no clue. It shouldn't be happening. You probably noticed when changing your character's texture on minecraft.net that there is only one texture for the arm. This is because it is mirrored so that the same image is on the outside of both arms. No matter what I do, (Thigh2.mirror = true; Thigh2.mirror = false;) both result in the same issue. It's not mirrored. Can't say how easy it is to fix til I figure why it happened.

Maybe there's something wrong with the .mirror method?

1. making a crafting table is too easy.

a crafting table sort of marks a player's transition from nomadic man-ape to homosapien. it should be more meaningful. perhaps a crafting table could be made from four crafted items. in other words, you would have to hand-craft four different things which would then be used to build a crafting table. whatever these hand-crafted things might be is anyone's guess.

The crafting table is mostly placeholder from what I have heard. Its where you put the final pieces together and not where you actually craft anything. That is why most recipes that require components made in another interface (smithing, knapping) only use the crafting interface as the final assembly point. As more items get this treatment I and will fit in the 2x2 grid I believe the crafting table may become obsolete.

2. making a bed is too easy.

this, of course, would be slightly mitigated by making the crafting table more difficult to build. however, being able to craft a bed so soon allows the player to forgo what would have been a daily stress for early man...night time. a bed shouldn't be more difficult to build, though. maybe it just needs an added requirement. for example, a bed that lets you sleep until dawn would need a block above it like a forge fire does. but you could also craft a palette out of 3 wool that doesn't need a cover but it only lets you sleep for a few hours in order to replenish health. to help balance this, campfires might have to be more effective in keeping mobs away.

Beds are mostly to set spawn points not really pass the time of night (well I pretty much only use it for a spawn point, hehe). I think a different set of recipes would likely come when different materials are introduced, like cloth to make sheets and pillows with feathers. Same thing with a mattress, etc. But at the end of the day I can lay down on the ground and take a nap if I feel like it, the need of a bed is rather annoying.. Give me a bed roll!! :D

3. the javelin is too easy.

again, this may be helped by the crafting table tweak; but for now, the javelin makes hunting and defending yourself so easy that i'm never nervous about anything once i'm able to craft one. for a more intense survivalist experience, the possibility of death has to be more immediate. either lower the effectiveness of javelins. or make them only craftable with a metal tip. or nix them altogether. plus, no more food drops for killing an animal with a stone javelin because.....

I feel all that is missing here is a knapping plan for an arrow/spear tip. This is supposed to be your first weapon and while they do quite a bit of damage when thrown (Honestly how many things can live with a javelin through them), but this is replaced by the outright chance of them breaking. At the end of the day if you were out on your own and attacked by some aggressive creature I am pretty sure you would grab anything you can to fend it off. With the foreknowledge that aggressive things are in the area and will eat you if given a chance to, making a weapon to defend yourself makes sense to do. Even if that weapon is just a big ole stick! Maybe some other option could be made but at that point you are just changing what it looks like, a basic weapon is a basic weapon.

4. killing food is too easy.

if this mod is about survival, then food should be more scarce in the early game, even making the player go hungry for a few days at a time. first...no more kiliing anything but a chicken without an actual weapon. next, maybe the introduction of wild game traps. these wold be crafted out of several sticks and placed in the world. (one trap per 50 block radius) after a day or so, the trap would 'catch' game and the player could retrieve it. the game would vary in type depending on where the trap was placed. for example, if the trap is placed near water in a woodland area, you might get a beaver. if it's placed in a taiga, you might get a hare. NOTE: the actual mobs would never have to be implemented, (like fish) they just appear in your inventory when you check the trap. this is an easy way to make it seem like there's a much more robust animal kingdom in TFC without having to actually code new mobs.

Food should not be scarce in an environment where it is not scarce. What should be scarce is your ability to carry it around. If you can not carry a 500lb cow while it is alive why can you carry 300lbs of steak when it is dead. Gathering the food from just about anything with out a knife should be fairly difficult but again its not impossible... I think carrying and storage of food that does not go bad is the bigger issue here.

ps - i know this is a lot. and all these could certainly have their own post, but they're all related to the easiness of the early game. and the suggestions here are to offer a solution to that particular problem rather than stand as suggestions on their own.

Overall I think you have some points and I hope I have addressed a few of them. Try to keep in mind all of the ramifications you are going to run into when you suggest changes to certain things when other mechanics (sleeping/spawn point) depend upon them.

I feel all that is missing here is a knapping plan for an arrow/spear tip. This is supposed to be your first weapon and while they do quite a bit of damage when thrown (Honestly how many things can live with a javelin through them), but this is replaced by the outright chance of them breaking. At the end of the day if you were out on your own and attacked by some aggressive creature I am pretty sure you would grab anything you can to fend it off. With the foreknowledge that aggressive things are in the area and will eat you if given a chance to, making a weapon to defend yourself makes sense to do. Even if that weapon is just a big ole stick! Maybe some other option could be made but at that point you are just changing what it looks like, a basic weapon is a basic weapon.

Now that you mention it, knapping for the javelin is a great idea. +1

In order to tweak it you could add a very short range to them, so they get a balistic angle when thrown (don't know how hard this would be to code) since such a raw spear has quite some weight.

And with the food: Simply add a stack limit like wood, ore, etc.

But I think this will may come with one of the next versions as well, since the inventory tweaking has been enounced already, I think.?

Now that you mention it, knapping for the javelin is a great idea. +1

In order to tweak it you could add a very short range to them, so they get a balistic angle when thrown (don't know how hard this would be to code) since such a raw spear has quite some weight.

And with the food: Simply add a stack limit like wood, ore, etc.

But I think this will may come with one of the next versions as well, since the inventory tweaking has been enounced already, I think.?

They do get a balistic angle, just a very large one lol.

They do get a balistic angle, just a very large one lol.

Which looks amazingly like the arrow angle :D

Which looks amazingly like the arrow angle :D

yep lol. Good job on the spotter's guide btw.

Wait, he did spotters guide?

Wait, he did spotters guide?

Yes, i did watch it dunk, i just hadn't known who was playing it exactly.

Haha, Thanks all.. I am actually really enjoying updating those guides.. and as soon as I get a bit of breakfastlunch I think I might do a little offline work to get a bit more ready for some new episodes.

Leave early game as it is, and focus on late game.

Why put loads of work into something people will use 45 mins on completing anyway? When you got a whole ''endgame'' that needs more polish.

Early game should actually be the introduction part, so that noobs will find it easier to start playing TFC, it should not scare them away.

Instead, one could add some late game bosses or dungeons, or things to achieve.

(We already got superior armors which are extremely hard to craft, but to do what? Slay Skeletons?)

My suggestions would be:

New Bows - Composite, Crossbows, Shortbows, Longbows

New Weapons - Cannons, Bombs, and more focus on poisons.

In-general just late game content like these weapons would certainly give me more drive whilst playing TFC.

Bosses - (For Castle system [bandit fortresses, Bandit Camps, Dragon lairs?)

[For the Fantasy aspect of TFC]

And instead of focusing on stuff that might attract more players, and help the playerbase grow you suggest the start should be horrid to get through. And a pain in the ass.

TL;DR: Well, sorry for the critique but I honestly despise the idea of scaring away playerbase, what this mod needs is goals not more hinders for the first few hours.

You would think that the point of this mod is to make really long and enjoyable games that last a while, and not pointless games that take 30 minutes to get bored off of. No offence each mod does require goals, the goal here is to manly survive & thrive to the point were you are so late game that it gets boring, it happens in every sandbox or continuous games. What if in TFC there was this terribly hard bandits castle do destroy, what happens when you destroy it? No more game, its done. Thats not the point of a sandbox game........ at least im pretty sure...............Hmmmm.................