Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
EstebanLB

Different crafting table, crafted with stone tools and plank

39 posts in this topic

Buzhwaz, I stole one of your ideas. So this is basically, your idea. Hope you don't get mad.

His topic: http://terrafirmacra...t-are-too-easy/

Instead of putting 4 planks together you would need to craft at least this 3 tools: Hammer, axe and knife, then, put a plank with those 3 in your personal crafting grid to get the crafting table

Posted Image

What do you think?

nice idea! hope sometimes it will be added

should probably keep the 2x2 wood square and make the tools location "unshaped" (if this is possible, I dont know the base code as I haven't done modding, possibly would have to add all the permutation recipes that fulfill this)

should probably keep the 2x2 wood square and make the tools location "unshaped" (if this is possible, I dont know the base code as I haven't done modding, possibly would have to add all the permutation recipes that fulfill this)

Yes, it can be done. Many recipes are shapeless

I'm not sure that I understand. Could you explain?

I'm not sure that I understand. Could you explain?

If what you don't understand is the "unshaped" part, i can answer you: an unshaped recipe is a recipe in which the place where the items are placed doesn't affect the final result. I think the combination of dyes are all unshaped recipes, for example...

If what you don't understand is the "unshaped" part, i can answer you: an unshaped recipe is a recipe in which the place where the items are placed doesn't affect the final result. I think the combination of dyes are all unshaped recipes, for example...

I think what he wants to know is if you can make part of the recipe shaped, and the rest of it unshaped. IE: Four wooden planks in a square, and three tools wherever.

Honestly you are both right at what my intentions were. :P First I wanted to understand the "shapeless" theory.Then I wanted to know what part was going to be shapeless.

Oh. then, yeah, you should be able to do that :

Now that i think about it... you lose the tools for making the table, or you keep them? i just wanna know if while crafting it i'm simply attaching some tools to a wooden block -in which case, the apparence change doesn't make much sense...-, or using the tools to transform the wooden block in a crafting table. Or both.

I think that the tools should be lost. because it isn't like you attach blocks or items in a crafting grid without work with a hammer,axe, and knife.you dont put a ston on top of two sticks and it works as a javelin. :P

Just realized that it couldn't be more than 1x3tools in steve's handheld crafting grid.

I would think it should be the "use the tools" paradigm, Just have it consume some uses of each tool, such that it would require a fresh stone tool's number of uses and instantly break them.

having the crafting window consume them introduces the following problem: metal tools will be lost

However, the problem is that you start out with a 2x2 crafting window, so it needs an intermediate item.

2x2 grid of wood-> incomplete crafting table

tools+incomplete table = crafting table.

Not a big deal really, but one would think that you'd use tools that you have on hand to build it, you wouldn't want to completely use up red steel tools making such a simple project unless you plan on making the crafting table have limited # of uses based on the input tools.

Yeah that would be nice. however this shouldn't apply for stone tool creation. that would keep the player for even accessing the stone age. The FIRST age...

I think that the tools should be lost. because it isn't like you attach blocks or items in a crafting grid without work with a hammer,axe, and knife.you dont put a ston on top of two sticks and it works as a javelin. :P

Yeah, you're right... then, how about this: having a hammer, an axe and a knife in the inventory, and right clicking over any solid block -no torches, no slabs, no firepit...- opens the 3x3 crafting grid! why to make the crafting table? it's more space efficient -occupies 1 space, instead of the three spaces the tools would occupy- and the tools in it apparently doesn't ever break, while using the bare tools will chew a good chunk of their durability bars. Also, as the axe is already included in the crafting table, maybe for making planks you can use an axe in your personal inventory, or make it in the crafting table by simply placing the log. The same thing with vertical and horizontal support beams, and with the flux -if the hammer is metallic-

EDIT: now that i think about it, if we are using those tools for crafting, wouldn't that use some of their durability?

Then, how about this: the crafting table is made in the way it always was, but it doesn't has the tools; you have to combine it with the tools in the same way exposed in the OP, except with the crafting table instead of the wooden plank. After X craftings -depending of the tools used-, the crafting table would become "empty", which means you have to mine it and craft it with the tools for being able to use it. The better tools you place in it, the most time it will take to it to become empty again; so, if you place rock tools, it will last around 50 craftings, and if you place red/blue steel tools, it will last 1,000,000 craftings -just an example-. The number of craftings is determined in this way:

(uses of the axe + uses of the hammer + uses of the knife) : 3= # of craftings before becoming empty

You don't need all the tools to be of the same material; you can place a blue steel axe, a stone knife and a bronze hammer, and it will give you the crafting table with the corresponding number of craftings.

I love that idea even better. do I really need a table to make a stick? why can't I use a flat area of stone.

Yeah that would be nice. however this shouldn't apply for stone tool creation. that would keep the player for even accessing the stone age. The FIRST age...

no idea what you're talking about here.

If your stone axe breaks. and you need it to make sticks. You are stuck. you are out of axes but wait! You have a stone axe head I can attatch it to this last stick that I have.... Dang it! my hammer broke. In other words it would cause the player not being able to access the required tools to MAKE the required tools.

If your stone axe breaks. and you need it to make sticks. You are stuck. you are out of sticks and axes but wait! You have a stone axe head I can attatch it to this last stick that I have.... Dang it! my hammer broke. In other words it would cause the player not being able to access the required tools.

You don't need an axe to make sticks, you break branches.

Since when do you need a hammer to attach tool heads to their sticks?

If you run out of rocks, there should still be rock pieces around that you haven't collected, though it seems extraordinarily unlikely that you'll actually run out of rocks after digging even a slight amount into a rockface.

I made some edits. I am just saying that if making items depletes my tool health than how do I make the tools required to make the tools?

Have you even played TFC? you don't start with tools, if it consumes the tools you'll be in exactly the same place you started in.

and the tool-making process during the stone age uses knapping, not a 3x3 crafting table.

I'm tired of people misunderstanding me so can you explain what doesn't make sense so that I can say something understandable?

Edit: PS I have played but this computer can't handle it for much longer.

I was thinking on making the tools consumed, that would explain how you can craft arrows, javelins and such, also how you attach tool heads to the sticks

BTW I like the OP's idea. I give him a thumbs up...

you're acting like if making a single crafting table with this proposed new recipe uses up the equivalent of a stone tool, that you'll somehow be unable to progress into the stone age as a result, but you can make MORE tools with 2 rocks, using knapping and directly put them back onto a stick without ever touching a crafting table.

OK, if it consumes the hammer knife and axe when you craft something than how do you attach sticks to the tool head counterpart. Or are you suggesting to not include the destruction of these tools for some recipes?

Ok I understand. I just thought that you were suggesting that you consume the tools even in the personal crafting GUI of the player. I apologize if you misunderstand me.

OK, if it consumes the hammer knife and axe when you craft something than how do you attach sticks to the tool head counterpart. Or are you suggesting to not include the destruction of these tools for some recipes?

ok how about this

4 wood pieces in 2x2 grid -> incomplete crafting table

incomplete crafting table + the 3 tools -> crafting table / uses up the equivalent of the weakest stone tool type from the tools, as those tools have been used up in the process of making the table.

Add tool slots to the crafting table, recipes that WOULD use a tool, require it to be there, and use up certain # of damage units when the recipe is crafted.

The slots would be cutter/mallet/carver/chisel (cutter would be axe/saw; mallet would be hammers; carver would be knives; chisel needs no explanation)

This way, the recipe shape doesnt have to include the tool in itself, just pull uses from the tool in the slot.

Then as an adjunct to this, if a recipe uses a tool that would have been able to be placed in a "tool slot", and the recipe fits in your handheld 2x2 grid, then your inventory could act as a tool resevoir, or you could add tool slots to the UI. (if you wanted these smaller recipes to be craftable without a table)

Maybe you could have it use the first instance of the required type found in the following priority hotbar(left->right), then inventory (top->down (left->right across each row))