Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Just_Another_Guy_:)

New smileys for the forum!

23 posts in this topic

Just a little detail :P i suggest to add some TFcraft related things as smileys for the forum; the gems, ores, logs, tools...

Not a very developed and largely writed suggestion, but it would be a nice touch :3

I was about to post the images of the gems, but it says i can't post that many images, so...

The first that gives me a +1 wins this garnet! :D

Posted Image

oh, now that i think about it, and now that Dunk said they are going to add new mobs, how about those mobs faces as smileys?

oh, now that i think about it, and now that Dunk said they are going to add new mobs, how about those mobs faces as smileys?

Either one suits me, although the gemstones will be prettier :P

This is stupid.

It's such a small change. I don't understand what is wrong with giving people a way to show their appreciation for a post or comment with a gemstone smiley face. I probably will never use it to be fair, but I don't see why it is that stupid ? :S

Even though the gems will look more pretty, the mob faces will at least be faces. I am torn between smileys!

... I wasn't asking anyone to choose between mob faces or gems...

I was saying they both could be used :

And...

This is stupid.

: if you've nothing good to say about a thread, or at least have good statements for disagreeing, then why you should say anything?

This is stupid.

...so?

Sandstone stairs in vanilla are stupid too. They still got added.

It's just for aesthetics man, chill.

...so?

Sandstone stairs in vanilla are stupid too. They still got added.

It's just for aesthetics man, chill.

Having emoticons based on ingame objects will only bring lower-quality posting. Just look at minecraft forums, you have people going "+1 DIAMOND FOR YOU XD" or ":creeper: :creeper: :creeper: :creeper: :creeper: :creeper: :creeper: :creeper: :creeper: :creeper: :creeper: :creeper:" ad infinitum.

I can see how you would want them, but in reality all they would do is increase immaturity and lower post quality.

Having emoticons based on ingame objects will only bring lower-quality posting. Just look at minecraft forums, you have people going "+1 DIAMOND FOR YOU XD" or ":creeper: :creeper: :creeper: :creeper: :creeper: :creeper: :creeper: :creeper: :creeper: :creeper: :creeper: :creeper:" ad infinitum.

I can see how you would want them, but in reality all they would do is increase immaturity and lower post quality.

Please explain how it lowers the quality of posts.

This would not be immature. It would be fun and cute. Thinking this is immature only shows how immature you are.

Little kids are the ones who think childish things are only for little kids.

Real adults know how to let lose and have a little fun.

Please explain how it lowers the quality of posts.

This would not be immature. It would be fun and cute. Thinking this is immature only shows how immature you are.

Little kids are the ones who think childish things are only for little kids.

Real adults know how to let lose and have a little fun.

+1 to you sir

who gives a shit if I've got a job and a diploma, I still run around the back yard with my little brother and a pair of nerf guns from time to time, pretending I'm Neo

+1 to you sir

who gives a shit if I've got a job and a diploma, I still run around the back yard with my little brother and a pair of nerf guns from time to time, pretending I'm Neo

Well said ! Maturity is a virtue, but not if you're serious all the time :P

It would be nice if you could make them small enough to be used as a representation of a crafting recipe, which is basically the only reason i think this is a good idea. usually i hate smilies because there's always some idiot who has to hit :P 40 times.

It would be nice if you could make them small enough to be used as a representation of a crafting recipe, which is basically the only reason i think this is a good idea. usually i hate smilies because there's always some idiot who has to hit :P 40 times.

Thats true, but they are also a great tool for conveying emotional intention in a sentence.

Cookies ! :D

For example, the above phrase clearly shows pleasurable excitement (due both to the exclamation mark and smiley face)

F**k you ! :P / F**k you !

I censored the above sentence because I don't know who is reading this, anyway .. Here is a good example where they can actually differentiate between an insult and a joking sentence. The :P face indicates that the preceding words are meant in a positive and jovial way :)

I refer to this as "emotional punctuation" although I'm sure it probably has a real name.

While this doesn't apply as much to the gems, they still provide a visual way for people to represent support for an idea.

still, you don't need a smily. ! is already used to show excitement, and you could go "lol, fuck you" to show that you aren't serious. still, +1.

still, you don't need a smily. ! is already used to show excitement, and you could go "lol, fuck you" to show that you aren't serious. still, +1.

I would probably argue that lol is also part of "emotional punctuation" since it essentially performs the same function. As I think I made up the term, I have the power to define it, so I am extending it to include terms such as lol etc.

Deus Ex Machina :P

I would generally agree with you though, I just like to be very clear with the tonal intent of what I type :)

Smilies DO help convey emotion in text, which BTW is most often mis-read because of the lack of 80% of our communication skills (facial expressions and tone of voice).

"lol, fuck you" I can read as you're laughing at me and are not taking anything I say seriously. If that was all you posted, I would easily hit the report button because it looks like you're trolling and making it a point to point out that what I say is worthless rather than joking in a playful manner.

Without smilies, we read text based on what we want to hear or the way we want to hear it read which as in the above post is quite dangerous.

Smilies DO help convey emotion in text, which BTW is most often mis-read because of the lack of 80% of our communication skills (facial expressions and tone of voice).

"lol, fuck you" I can read as you're laughing at me and are not taking anything I say seriously. If that was all you posted, I would easily hit the report button because it looks like you're trolling and making it a point to point out that what I say is worthless rather than joking in a playful manner.

Without smilies, we read text based on what we want to hear or the way we want to hear it read which as in the above post is quite dangerous.

Going "lol, fuck you" isn't trolling.

+1 to you sir

There is a fine line between "behaving immaturely" and "liking immature things". I like a whole host of things that the average person would disregard as "immature" or "for children". I apologize, though, the only reason I was upset is because creeper and diamond emoticons do a great job of lowering post quality on MCF.

There is a fine line between "behaving immaturely" and "liking immature things". I like a whole host of things that the average person would disregard as "immature" or "for children". I apologize, though, the only reason I was upset is because creeper and diamond emoticons do a great job of lowering post quality on MCF.

I'd actually probably debate whether that was the case. Visually the posts may look more cluttered, but would they be of any higher quality if the smileys weren't there ? Or would they just be less cluttered awful posts ? :P

creeper and diamond emoticons do a great job of lowering post quality on MCF.

No they don't. If they weren't there, idiots would still be shitposting the same exact way, but with other MC icons. And if not with MC icons, then with smilies. And if not with smilies, then they's type out 'XD' or ';p' 50 times over.

Post quality is tied to the poster. Not the medium available to them.