Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spudcosmicc

So it IS possible.

19 posts in this topic

A whole bunch of people have suggested that trees should fall over instead of just turn into logs, but everyone just dismissed it as "impossible" or "too hard to code". However, it will probably become possible in the future because dinnerbone (a programmer for mojang) managed to do it. Proof: https://twitter.com/...757928076148737

now you too can experience the joys of haveing several tons of prime lumber land on you!

Alright, I'm gonna break this down for you, since I was forced to do this one summer.

Here is what is involved in cutting down a tree.

First, you find a tree.

Then, you get an axe.

Then, you pick the direction you want the tree to fall.

You chop a wedge out of the tree on the side of the tree in the direction you want the tree to fall.

Eventually the tree will fall.

Now is the time where you get out of the way.

After the tree has fallen, you get to take that axe and cut off all the limbs and branches. This will require rotating the tree, or attempting to do so, at some point.

Once you have a trunk, your options depend on what you want to do with the tree.

If you want to use the tree for firewood, you and some other poor helpless fool get to take a great big saw that and go back and forth, back and forth, cutting the tree into segments. Then you get to take those segments and split them with an axe or a split maul (I'm not sure which one I prefer, honestly, it really sucks either way), and then you get to take that wood and make a cord out of it.

If you want to make planks or timbers out of that tree, I have no idea what you do, as I've never personally done it, but I am told that it involves a great deal of sawing, and more than one person.

This mod is already tedious enough as it is. If you want to make wood the "real" way, as seems to be indicated by your wanting trees to fall over, then that requires a saw. And not just a little 'prentice saw like you make in TFC. I mean a giant two man saw that you cannot use by yourself effectively.

Excellent !

Unless it is a joke ¬.¬ .. But I have faith ! :D

-snip-

Yes, if implemented with total realism, it will be beyond tedious.

Perhaps there could be a middle ground, though I would need to think before I suggested anything.

Hah. That'd be a pretty cool addition to the game.. Or at least in my opinion anyways!

cevkiv, I don't think you understood the purpose of this thread.

I suspect he was referring to the implications of the thread :)

I agree with him in some ways, yet I definitely think the system could be worked, so that it is rewarding enough to chop wood in this way, thus balancing the tedium with results :)

cevkiv, I don't think you understood the purpose of this thread.

As I understand it, the purpose of this mod is "To make Minecraft more like Dwarf Fortress".

Also, as I understand it, the makers of the mod are going for "believable" and not "realistic".

Also, there is making something more intricate to reward extra effort being put forth, and then there is just making something mind-numbingly tedious.

Every person I know who plays Minecraft refuses to play Terrafirmacraft because it's more or less "tedious to the point of unenjoyable"

As I understand it, the purpose of this mod is "To make Minecraft more like Dwarf Fortress".

Also, as I understand it, the makers of the mod are going for "believable" and not "realistic".

Also, there is making something more intricate to reward extra effort being put forth, and then there is just making something mind-numbingly tedious.

Every person I know who plays Minecraft refuses to play Terrafirmacraft because it's more or less "tedious to the point of unenjoyable"

This isn't a suggestion to make cutting down trees more difficult, I'm just showing something that we're getting in the future whether we like it or not because it's going to be a minecraft feature. I suppose it will be a bit more difficult because you'll have to cut the tree into segments after it fell, but it's just like vanilla minecraft.

A whole bunch of people have suggested that tree's should fall over instead of just turn into logs, but everyone just dismissed it as "impossible" or "too hard to code". However, it will probably become possible in the future because dinnerbone (a programmer for mojang) managed to do it. Proof: https://twitter.com/...757928076148737

No, all that is showing is that he has added sideways logs. Better Wood from here. l2think

Coding the falling of trees is still too hard.

No, all that is showing is that he has added sideways logs. Better Wood from here. l2think

Coding the falling of trees is still too hard.

I'm not conviced. The twitter post is certainly ambiguous, but I don't think it is possible to say what it shows yet, unless you have heard from the developer himself ?

I would be a bit perplexed as to why the dev would place the sideways logs right next to a tree, given the obvious chance for confusion.

But I have been wrong before :P

I'm not conviced. The twitter post is certainly ambiguous, but I don't think it is possible to say what it shows yet, unless you have heard from the developer himself ?

I would be a bit perplexed as to why the dev would place the sideways logs right next to a tree, given the obvious chance for confusion.

I can say with 100% certainty that it shows sideways logs. He placed them like that to show that they were on their side, the same way Koopinator showed off his logs. Also, Jed####, do you know what 5 second videos and .gifs are good for?

Yes you have been, just like you are now and the next time you post. But fear not, for I will be there to point out your mistakes.

I can say with 100% certainty that it shows sideways logs. He placed them like that to show that they were on their side, the same way Koopinator showed off his logs. Also, Jed####, do you know what 5 second videos and .gifs are good for?

Yes you have been, just like you are now and the next time you post. But fear not, for I will be there to point out your mistakes.

Now, and the next time I post ?

That is beyond a little presumptuous I think.

Why replace my numbers with hashes ?

What do you mean in your reference to 5 second gifs and videos ? I saw neither of them in your post or the tweet.

To be honest, unless you are in contact with, or are, the man himself, or can show me some evidence of what you have said (beyond referring to previous instances of someone doing something similar) your statement that you are 100% sure is either overconfident and misplaced, or hyperbolic and incorrect.

It is never a good idea to take such a negative, patronising tone with people. It implies certain things about your personality. I certainly don't know you well enough to draw any conclusions yet though, and it may well have been unintentional.

Dinnerbone, on 24 July 2012 - 12:13 PM, said:

Trees won't fall over. It'd be too complicated to add and require a lot of work - not to mention the logic issues (what if something is in its way? Does it destroy anything in its path, or lean on them? We don't have sloping blocks, it can't just lean, and it'd look silly any other way).

I may add naturally fallen trees, but this was indeed just a nice little example I thought would showcase the oriented logs.

http://www.minecraft.../#entry16736251

If they can implement the animation of a tree falling, we may have a mill!

Thank you, HidingTheLight.

I don't know if it's animated or how he handles collisions with other trees.