Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DarkLadyPhoenix

I'm out for a while

19 posts in this topic

Visiting my parents for two weeks and I've spent hours trying to update the graphics card on this damned notebook.

Minecraft worked just fine until I tried to update it. Now I get a "bad driver error" from MC and can't play.

I don't understand this catalyst garbage. I've downloaded and installed it 20 times as it's under the "drivers" section of ATI cards on thier official site. So far, all I see when I use it is a listing of my driver's specs. No indication of driver version and no option to update it anywhere. HP support is useless and they don't even have a single driver on thier website.

HP Envy15

Win7 64

ATI mobility raedon 4830 v. 8.632

I'm sticking with geforce from now on. No more "already built" notebooks for me if the service is like this. I JUST want to be able to download the update for the driver like everyone else on the market and not have to deal with this unhelpful catalyst garbage.

Not really expecting any help, but anyone with an ATI card can maybe help this clueless player out?

I use an ATI card and to update, I just go to the catalyst control center and go to Information > Software Update and it checks to see if my drivers up to date. No need to go to a website for me.

i'm with the OP on this one, i hate those auto-updater craps, they just idle and take up resources running as a service for no reason, although nvidia uses them too, just make sure to deselect it when you install the drivers.

for what it's worth and i know people will disagree, but the only way to build is intel/win and ati/linux.

i'm with the OP on this one, i hate those auto-updater craps, they just idle and take up resources running as a service for no reason, although nvidia uses them too, just make sure to deselect it when you install the drivers.

for what it's worth and i know people will disagree, but the only way to build is intel/win and ati/linux.

Intel graphics are horrible I heard

AMD catalyst isn't an auto-updater. It's a software host for your graphics card, allowing you to change certain settings. Since I have an AMD chip (made by the same company that made my graphics card) I can also change my CPU settings there :D

I use an ATI card and to update, I just go to the catalyst control center and go to Information > Software Update and it checks to see if my drivers up to date. No need to go to a website for me.

Really? I wish it were that simple. This damned thing has everything BUT a button that says 'update drivers here' This is what I get when I go to Information. Not sure where software update is.

Posted Image

I will try noctem9's advice once I figure out how to download the driver sweeper. Thier links seem to be running me in circles -_-

Okay, got driver sweeper. No luck. I think part of my problem is also that I am STILL unfamiliar with windows 7. I want search to function, not tell me that it can't find a damned file that I can navigate to and find myself.

I want a control panel where I can add and remove programs all in one nice little list like the previos 4 versions of windows. All that stuff is supposidly still there, they've just moved stuff around so much that it's now hidden.

Mods loaded: 1

ModLoader 1.2.5

Bad video card drivers!

-----------------------

Minecraft was unable to start because it failed to find an accelerated OpenGL mode.

This can usually be fixed by updating the video card drivers.

--- BEGIN ERROR REPORT 274cdf2f --------

Generated 7/27/12 11:44 PM

Minecraft: Minecraft 1.2.5

Java: 1.6.0_13, Sun Microsystems Inc.

VM: Java HotSpotâ„¢ 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode), Sun Microsystems Inc.

LWJGL: 2.4.2

[failed to get system properties (java.lang.NullPointerException)]

org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Pixel format not accelerated

at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.nChoosePixelFormat(Native Method)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.choosePixelFormat(WindowsPeerInfo.java:52)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsDisplay.createWindow(WindowsDisplay.java:185)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.createWindow(Display.java:311)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:856)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:784)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:765)

at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(Minecraft.java:370)

at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:732)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

--- END ERROR REPORT d4be39da ----------

This nonsense makes me cry moreso than not having minecraft for two weeks -_-

Thanks all for your help :D

Really? I wish it were that simple. This damned thing has everything BUT a button that says 'update drivers here' This is what I get when I go to Information. Not sure where software update is.

Posted Image

I will try noctem9's advice once I figure out how to download the driver sweeper. Thier links seem to be running me in circles -_-

Oh, yours is different than mine. Here's how simple mine looks :D

Posted Image

HP support is useless and they don't even have a single driver on thier website.

HP Envy15

Win7 64

I accept no responsibility if you wreck your machine somehow! ;)

You can find the drivers here : http://h10025.www1.h...ery=Envy+15#N29

But you will need to choose the correct laptop (might be best to put in the model / serial number in their search).

Alternatively, you can get the driver from AMD's site. Generally it's best to uninstall the existing driver via the Control Panel then reboot and install the new driver. http://support.amd.c...words=&items=20

edit: here is how to uninstall the old driver, but if you have the HP branded version installed then it might be somewhat different... http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU57RemoveOldGraphicsDrivers.aspx#windows7

Intel graphics are horrible I heard

who said anything about intel graphics? i'll do you a favor and bite my tongue except to point out that i meant intel processor and/or chipset as well as nvidia video card was what i meant.

actually, i just noticed i forgot to mention nvidia in the last post at all, then again they are sort of branches from the same tree, but that's more a technicality.

Visiting my parents for two weeks and I've spent hours trying to update the graphics card on this damned notebook.

Minecraft worked just fine until I tried to update it. Now I get a "bad driver error" from MC and can't play.

I don't understand this catalyst garbage. I've downloaded and installed it 20 times as it's under the "drivers" section of ATI cards on thier official site. So far, all I see when I use it is a listing of my driver's specs. No indication of driver version and no option to update it anywhere. HP support is useless and they don't even have a single driver on thier website.

HP Envy15

Win7 64

I'm sticking with geforce from now on. No more "already built" notebooks for me if the service is like this. I JUST want to be able to download the update for the driver like everyone else on the market and not have to deal with this unhelpful catalyst garbage.

Not really expecting any help, but anyone with an ATI card can maybe help this clueless player out?

Aye, HPs can be a pain to update things on.

Check your options.txt file in .minecraft

double check that

advancedOpengl:false

Is false. If it is already false, try rolling back to a system restore from before you updated.

The driver you need is definitely going to be in the legacy section like someone above mentioned.

As to the amd vs. geforce it's the same as coke vs pepsi and less filling vs. tastes great battles, it all comes down to personal experiences and preferences. I started off building systems with ati cards, bought one geforce card that I had nothing but problems with, went back to ati/amd cards and never looked back.

yep, that's correct for the most part since ATI finally woke up and started providing unified drivers, albeit it a few years late, still though, intel and nvidia and amd and ati play nicer together in my experience when building a system.

You could run 'dxdiag' in the start menu search bar, save the log to desktop and post the relevent graphics information here. It will tell us if you even have an AMD driver installed or if its using the default windows VGA driver. This could help rule out a hardware vs config issue

Long post is long. LMK if I need anything else from the DX diag :)

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 7/28/2012, 21:19:14

Machine name:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120503-2030)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard

System Model: HP Envy 15 Notebook PC

BIOS: Default System BIOS

Processor: Intel® Core i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~1.6GHz

Memory: 6144MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 6134MB RAM

Page File: 2378MB used, 9889MB available

Windows Dir: C:Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: UnKnown

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4830 Series

Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.

Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x94A0)

DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)

Device Key: EnumPCIVEN_1002&DEV_94A0&SUBSYS_7009103C&REV_00

Display Memory: 3827 MB

Dedicated Memory: 1016 MB

Shared Memory: 2811 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (59Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: unknown

Monitor Id: LGD01FB

Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (59.934Hz)

Output Type: Internal

Driver Name: atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll

Driver File Version: 8.14.0010.0678 (English)

Driver Version: 8.632.0.0

DDI Version: 10.1

Driver Model: WDDM 1.1

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 7/2/2009 16:54:54, 4059648 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

WHQL Date Stamp:

Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-D7E0-11CF-2A71-0350A1C2C535}

Vendor ID: 0x1002

Device ID: 0x94A0

SubSys ID: 0x7009103C

Revision ID: 0x0000

Driver Strong Name: oem2.inf:ATI.Mfg.NTamd64.6.1:ati2mtag_M9x:8.632.0.0:pciven_1002&dev_94a0&subsys_7009103c

Rank Of Driver: 00E60001

Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C

Deinterlace Caps: {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x32315659) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC2,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC3,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC4,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(S340,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(S342,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=

D3D9 Overlay: Not Supported

DXVA-HD: Not Supported

DDraw Status: Enabled

D3D Status: Enabled

AGP Status: Enabled

I keep getting errors when trying to install the v12 driver. Will re-dl and try again.

Okay, I think am straight up screwed.

Here's the deal: HP gives out version 8.something because version 12legacy version causes BSOD on a restart.

Which I got by finally getting version 12 legacy from AMD auto dectector.

Java won't run (I get class not found exception) on version 8.something so this gaming laptop literally can't run minecraft because of an issue with the HP ENVY15.

Fuck.

Strange. Try a 3rd party driver perhaps. The guys over at http://www.tweakforce.com/ make some excellent optimized drivers.

Go to Downloads > Xtreme-G AMD Mobility Drivers > XG Mobile AMD Drivers Windows 7-8, then download and install Xtreme-G 10.10m Win7 64bit

//off topic a bit:

I've been running intel integrated graphics for the past 6-8 years in this laptop and I have very few problems. I can even run Portal 2 albeit at about 20-30 fps lol. Saving up for a new work laptop as Max 2012 starts to slow down when I do complex FumeFX simulations or my poly count goes above 500k.

//end off topic

Last PC I built was an Intel / ATI mix and it ran fantastic. It was especially nice since the 2 nVidia cards I ordered (in a row and returned) all had memory faults.

The pain and frustrations observed in this topic are some of the many reasons I strongly advise building your own system from base parts. I would not buy any prefab systems from hp, dell, or any of the main PC and laptop vendors. ( I would however buy from system76, which is where I got my laptop )

Next laptop I get is going to be one of the newer Asus systems so I can do more graphics work @ home and not worry about getting into the office. Though having a render farm on hand is very nice. They seem to have some nice hardware for under 1500. 16 gigs of ram, a gfx card with 2 gigs of ram, 3d monitor (meh, don't know if I'd use it unless it works with my 3D modeling software).

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0