Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
ximeeen

Specified World Gen.

73 posts in this topic

So, truth be told. I'm sick and tired of the MC world gen, I absolutely hate the randomness of deserts and snow, and I wish I could get a custom world gen for TFC.

So my suggestion is, add an option when generating new worlds to ''remove'' certain biomes from that worlds gen. So as an example, I want a pure taiga world with oceans / autumn forest. Or maybe a pure jungle world.

TL;DR: You can choose to exclude biomes from the worldgen.

Also I would also love if you could make better biome transitions, or rules. So that deserts can never spawn close to <Taiga, Extreme Hills, Autumn Forest> etc, making the world gen far more realistic.

Just my 2 cents, peace out.

EDIT: Example - http://www.minecraft...biome-selector/

Why:

Lets say I want to make a hardcore RP server, with TFC as a mod to enhance realism.

Oh boy, do I want the theme to be Early Scandinavia, North(ish) as a theme on the server and it being all Taiga / ice biomes.

*Generates this fantastic MC world, and prepares to RP*

*Spawns in desert*

<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

Does anyone understand me better now?

There seems to be 600 viewers, and 20 repliers atleast in this thread that doesen't read what I suggest, and how I suggest it to be done.

EDIT: Also, how on earth did this topic get revived again?

Edited by ximeeen

Tell me something, you have chosen which biomes you wanted in the Earth when you were about to born?

Neither did Steve. If you're playing in a mod about believability and survival as it should have been, don't expect to spawn in an easy location, or even in the location you wanted. When the life gives lemons, make lemonade.

All right, I've been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get Mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man whose gonna burn your house down - with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that'll burn your house down!

Now that I have that out of my system, on topic. I have always felt world gen needed options. Not like the op's. But something like shipwreck, where you spawn on a coastline of an island, all one biome, and can salvage a few things from the wreckage, but you have limited materials and space on the island. Or Alien landing, where you wake up in the middle of a field, in a populated place (villages) and have to survive further encounters with them. Or D&D, where zombies and skeletons are literally everywhere, there is no such thing as a normal sized spiders, and gelatinous cubes hiding in deep caves. So exactly like it is now. Except you spawn in a tavern.

Eh, I might be overthinking it, but I've always wanted to play minecraft as a true, hardcore uncharted island survival game.

I like the beginning as is it leaves the details to your imagination rather than just limiting it to one story, some people will say this is a game about an alternate dimension, others think of it as a game that represents history, some people think of it as a castaway game and other people don't care and just want to build. Limiting possibilities is an unnecessary action. I hope you meant cavern not tavern if so you are in the wrong forum this is TFC not Skyrim.

yeah tfc still has the same random placed, random sized biomes that ordinary mc had. just more veriety. liek where my house is. i live in a tangea-6 biome where its 6 celcius...i can walk 20 blocks in be in a deaster biome where its 33 celcius.... more realistic bome placing would be nice

According to dunk biomes themselves will eventually be removed and replaced.

According to dunk biomes themselves will eventually be removed and replaced.

replaced with what! : O

Well, first reply is so off-topic I would like to cry myself to sleep.

Honestly, this is nothing about making the game easier, it's about making the game either more realistic or the world more perfect for us detailwhores. I would simply just like to be able to use, as an example: Jungle Ruins texture pack, in an pure jungle world. Simply because I love playing in 1-Biome Worlds etc.

Ximeeen

Now that I have that out of my system, on topic. I have always felt world gen needed options. Not like the op's. But something like shipwreck, where you spawn on a coastline of an island, all one biome, and can salvage a few things from the wreckage, but you have limited materials and space on the island. Or Alien landing, where you wake up in the middle of a field, in a populated place (villages) and have to survive further encounters with them. Or D&D, where zombies and skeletons are literally everywhere, there is no such thing as a normal sized spiders, and gelatinous cubes hiding in deep caves. So exactly like it is now. Except you spawn in a tavern.

Eh, I might be overthinking it, but I've always wanted to play minecraft as a true, hardcore uncharted island survival game.

I think either of these could be done as challenge maps. Interesting to think about, though!

Always thought of it more as a Civ game where you start out with a few sticks and a rock, and have to go from that to a functioning society (or at least the bits where someone hasnt made a gigantic lava spewing phallus out of cobble). But then I'v never used singleplayer for much more than testing out designs.

Maybe bigger biomes would be nice, so it takes you about a minecraft day to get from one side of a biome to the other. Although that would mean that if your current biome layers dont have the minerals your after, its going to be a treck in whatever direction before you can start looking for new resources.

As for the D&D bit, I believe they are making adventure mode a toggled option for worlds.

I like the beginning as is it leaves the details to your imagination rather than just limiting it to one story, some people will say this is a game about an alternate dimension, others think of it as a game that represents history, some people think of it as a castaway game and other people don't care and just want to build. Limiting possibilities is an unnecessary action. I hope you meant cavern not tavern if so you are in the wrong forum this is TFC not Skyrim.

I like to think that beginnings matter a lot, and make it more believable. That doesn't mean huge animations and simulated wrecks, just a couple spawned items and a more believable landscape. And I did mean tavern, it was a joke referencing how most D&D players are started out in a tavern, because DM's aren't original.

Always thought of it more as a Civ game where you start out with a few sticks and a rock, and have to go from that to a functioning society (or at least the bits where someone hasnt made a gigantic lava spewing phallus out of cobble). But then I'v never used singleplayer for much more than testing out designs.

Maybe bigger biomes would be nice, so it takes you about a minecraft day to get from one side of a biome to the other. Although that would mean that if your current biome layers dont have the minerals your after, its going to be a treck in whatever direction before you can start looking for new resources.

As for the D&D bit, I believe they are making adventure mode a toggled option for worlds.

Never played Civ, but you could still do that. If you want continents to play on, inhabited or not, there could be a game mode for that. You could also start your society on an island. We do need to keep the singleplayer functioning, also, as that is all that some people's rigs can handle, or some people just don't wanna take the chance of getting greifed (Although I have never played a TFC server before, any recommendations would be appreciated.

As for bigger biomes, at least this. And better biome placement. I'm not (yet) suggesting simulation of tectonic plates and detailed history of the land, etc., but at least make it believable. And yeah, it would be difficult to find materials, but that is also good for the immersion. It took generations to get to the bronze age, and you can get there in, say, a couple weeks.

And the D&D bit was a joke, sarcasm is hard to convey online ^_^

I think either of these could be done as challenge maps. Interesting to think about, though!

Challenge maps, eh... I like to restart a lot (habit I'm trying to break), and I want a fresh world each time. I don't personally like scouring the interwebs for premade maps, and not many of them are very good anyway. I say let the worldgen do it for us.

Replaced with just temperatures, humidities, altitudes and so forth affecting plant and animal life. I don't know how the ore spawning will work.

Edit: Next MC update includes a way to have items to start with at spawn.

And I did mean tavern, it was a joke referencing how most D&D players are started out in a tavern, because DM's aren't original.

-growl-

All hoist the sails!

We're sailing to off-topic island.

How on earth did my topic / suggestion end into D&D and Cavernous taverns?

due to the users boringness and D&D interest :D

and ("") creepers ("") <- hand ^^ of course :P

We plan on making surface biomes and underground biomes different, i think. Don't quote me though.

Playing off this idea, a few option sliders might not be a bad idea. -if such a thing is even possible.

Want more tundra? Make that specific biome spawn larger.

Don't like desert? Set it to a very low setting and your deserts will be 25x25. :)

For very... spirited SMP hosts, they can create a world where forests are very few and far between. Or sand and glass are rarer than diamonds due to the small size of deserts. When reading this, I actually remember a very old game I used to play. The world was entirely underground because the sun had burned out and created a winter wonderland up top. I forget it's name. Arx something.

Just like in Dwarf Fortress, why not have the ability to -force- your land to be different from the one you played last? I'm reminded of a few Oddworld maps where there was more water than I'd ever seen in a map. We fished for our very existence because there literally was nothing else.

As much as I hate to get on a world where I can't find chestnut trees or some rock I covet *cough* does this not create the variety that was posted about as 'the goal' of the mod?

We plan on making surface biomes and underground biomes different, i think. Don't quote me though.

thats sooo ceeeewl

Playing off this idea, a few option sliders might not be a bad idea. -if such a thing is even possible.

Want more tundra? Make that specific biome spawn larger.

Don't like desert? Set it to a very low setting and your deserts will be 25x25. :)

For very... spirited SMP hosts, they can create a world where forests are very few and far between. Or sand and glass are rarer than diamonds due to the small size of deserts. When reading this, I actually remember a very old game I used to play. The world was entirely underground because the sun had burned out and created a winter wonderland up top. I forget it's name. Arx something.

Just like in Dwarf Fortress, why not have the ability to -force- your land to be different from the one you played last? I'm reminded of a few Oddworld maps where there was more water than I'd ever seen in a map. We fished for our very existence because there literally was nothing else.

As much as I hate to get on a world where I can't find chestnut trees or some rock I covet *cough* does this not create the variety that was posted about as 'the goal' of the mod?

... that will not work at all.

I have been testing the mod. While it IS compatible with TFC, due to the fact that it tries to generate mountains up of the height limit, you can't create new worlds, even if you didn't touched a single option of it. So, no, that's not the solution for them :

When the life gives lemons, make lemonade.

WRONG, when life gives you lemons, you throw them at people in the food court at the mall

WRONG, when life gives you lemons, you throw them at people in the food court at the mall

Posted Image

-snip-

I would probably give this advice to anyone:

If life gives you lemons, fuck lemonade. Brew a lemon wine and drink away your sorrows, after all, if you only have lemons, what do you have to lose ?