Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
lakeel

volcanic forgeing and smithing

115 posts in this topic

ceramics are very poor heat conductors and have an insane melting point, true... but you do realize that holding molten rock would still make the pot hot enough to cook flesh on contact, right? And I'm not being cute here, I mean you could take a bite right out of your hand after touching that and it would

1) not hurt because all the tissue is dead, nerves included

2) taste just like pork

ceramics are very poor heat conductors and have an insane melting point, true... but you do realize that holding molten rock would still make the pot hot enough to cook flesh on contact, right? And I'm not being cute here, I mean you could take a bite right out of your hand after touching that and it would

1) not hurt because all the tissue is dead, nerves included

2) taste just like pork

very true, perhaps we could create iron tongs or pincers to handle the extremely hot pot.

btw i ve had the very bad experience of molten metal slag land on my hand after an ingot mold at work split. no it didn t smell like pork thank god i had work gloves on

very true, perhaps we could create iron tongs or pincers to handle the extremely hot pot.

btw i ve had the very bad experience of molten metal slag land on my hand after an ingot mold at work split. no it didn t smell like pork thank god i had work gloves on

i was trying to forge and alluminum dagger from some aluminum struts i found. i got the handle part to glow a faint red and i was like "hmmm.....dosent seem that molten.." so then i put it on my 3 generations old steel anvil and swung down with the hammer *SPLAT* tiny chunkc of molten aluminum spewed off to my right.i didnt get hurt :) and the handle looks kinda cool now. its all shiny

my thought on the lava cheramic mold is that 1 tongs wil be necessary to carry the mold and buckits. my thought is that you can combine or weld the tongs with the pot so that its a single item and ittl ba safe to carry till the pot or buckit breaks.

i was trying to forge and alluminum garrwe from som aluminum strut i found. i got the handle bit to glow a faint red and i was like "huh.....dosent seem that molten.." so then i put it on my 3 generations old steel anvil and swung down with the hammer *SPLAT* tiny chunkc of molten aluminum spewed off to my right.i didnt get hurt :) and the handle looks kinda cool now. its all shiny

my thought on the lava cheramic mold is that 1 tongs wil be necessary to carry the mold and buckits. my thought is that you can combine or weld the tongs with the pot so that its a single item and ittl ba safe to carry till the pot or buckit breaks.

makes sense :)

any more suggestions? ive been gone for 3 days :) plenty of time to thibnk of some :)

Couldn't (easily) find the other thread, so this may've been suggested before, but what about simply requiring a lava source block to be included in the structure's base? This is taking a page from Dwarf Fortress magma smelters/forges, of course, but it'd negate the need for a mechanism to move the magma around in a bucket. Given the scarcity of lava on the surface on most maps, you'd end up with forges deep beneath the earth alongside part of the magma sea.

Unless we also get crazy metal magma screw pumps like Dwarf Fortress, but I won't hold my breath on that!

Couldn't (easily) find the other thread, so this may've been suggested before, but what about simply requiring a lava source block to be included in the structure's base? This is taking a page from Dwarf Fortress magma smelters/forges, of course, but it'd negate the need for a mechanism to move the magma around in a bucket. Given the scarcity of lava on the surface on most maps, you'd end up with forges deep beneath the earth alongside part of the magma sea.

Unless we also get crazy metal magma screw pumps like Dwarf Fortress, but I won't hold my breath on that!

>.> i was hoping for a posative suggestion...

pretty sure magma forges are confirmed, you'll have to have magma flow through them

remember: not everyone playing TFC has done real life blacksmithing; it's supposed to be BELIEVABLE, not necessarily 1:1 gritty realism

magma is hot, therefore the average person will assume you can smelt metal with the heat from magma

pretty sure magma forges are confirmed, you'll have to have magma flow through them

remember: not everyone playing TFC has done real life blacksmithing; it's supposed to be BELIEVABLE, not necessarily 1:1 gritty realism

magma is hot, therefore the average person will assume you can smelt metal with the heat from magma

1. they are?

2. i have done real life blacksmithing :3 and it is belevable, it fits both real life physics and minecraft physics

3. yeah....and your point is? cause its true and it has been done before

1. they are?

2. i have done real life blacksmithing :3 and it is belevable, it fits both real life physics and minecraft physics

3. yeah....and your point is? cause its true and it has been done before

Overall an interesting idea and the first one I had when someone told me about TFCraft actually was powering a furnace by having a block of lava behind it (infinite heat source). And then there were no furnaces :D

While I think this is a neat idea I do not think it overly likely to be implemented (but I can be wrong this is not a topic I have talked to Bioxx on to get his feel for it). While TFCraft is about multiple ways to do things, in the area of metal working that is currently focused around your selection of different metals as opposed to the objects used to work those metals. The part that is catching me up here though is the moving of the lava in buckets. I just do not see this as viable regardless of how many hoops you want to make people jump through in order to do it. If anything I would say the major drawback of Lava Smithing should be that you have to go find lava and do it there.. Those who find a surface pool of lava would luck out. Otherwise everyone would have to go down to the lower levels of the world in order to set something like this up.

Just my thoughts.

1. Not to my knowledge.

2. The game is inspired by both real life (Which all the mythology references do not qualify as real life btw :))

If the lava danger i suggested is implemented, this will be impossible :3

If the lava danger i suggested is implemented, this will be impossible :3

fuuu

hes right

fuuu

hes right

well armor basically makes youu indestructable.....so that wouldnt be too much of an issue

Just saying, armor isn't a super easy thing to obtain, it requires a serious time investment to obtain it, and rightly so it protects you. But if you read my post in encumbrance, dunk said he like my thoughts on how to balance the armors, especially the wrought iron being the strongest you would need.

Lava would burn the metal onto your bones after incinerating any open part of your body. :P

I agree with the point made about the forge needing to be by naturally occurring lava, like a source pool, as transporting magma a good distance, keeping it from solifying in the container, AND Keeping yourself from basically dying just moving it, working with small amounts of molten metal is bad enough, but a quantity large enough to heat a forge is well... infeasable. And inevitably the magma would re-solidify in a forge, unless more heat was being added, rendering the system mostly useless.

Overall an interesting idea and the first one I had when someone told me about TFCraft actually was powering a furnace by having a block of lava behind it (infinite heat source). And then there were no furnaces :D

While I think this is a neat idea I do not think it overly likely to be implemented (but I can be wrong this is not a topic I have talked to Bioxx on to get his feel for it). While TFCraft is about multiple ways to do things, in the area of metal working that is currently focused around your selection of different metals as opposed to the objects used to work those metals. The part that is catching me up here though is the moving of the lava in buckets. I just do not see this as viable regardless of how many hoops you want to make people jump through in order to do it. If anything I would say the major drawback of Lava Smithing should be that you have to go find lava and do it there.. Those who find a surface pool of lava would luck out. Otherwise everyone would have to go down to the lower levels of the world in order to set something like this up.

Just my thoughts.

1. Not to my knowledge.

2. The game is inspired by both real life (Which all the mythology references do not qualify as real life btw :))

firstly lava behind furnace is both unrealistic and too easy

secondly. those "hoops" are only added so that everyone dosent just dig down to the planets core and set up forges. immediately.... my idea would still require people to set up primitive char coal bloomeries and firepits before they have the ability to set up the somewhat more complicated (but more efficient) volcanic forge. the buckits/ cheramayic pots are the only way of realistically transporting lava. holding a metal buckit with lava in it is most lickly gonna burn your hands off. then burn holes in the buckit a minuite or 2 later. which is what i aimed for. realism balanced with convienience and fun

requirements to get to volcanic forge stage

1. make a pick to find lava (requires metal working with coal or wood unless u find surface lava)

2. make a buckit (or cheramic pot) to pick up the finite pot

3. construct the volcanic bloomery and or forge (altered version of the coal ones)

4. scoop up lava and get to your forge location before it melts ( a tin buckit would be just find if you have about 3 and your only walking a distance of about 10 blocks)

5. place lava in the bloomery/forge by right clicking it and palcing the buckit in the fuel slot (which empties the buckit. except in forges where it is used up like coal)

6. cook ur stuff. and if your smelting ore just pump the bellows to remove the sulfer content of the lava so it dosent polute the metal (and the sulfer is stored in the side invintory slots so u can use it for the gunpowder recipe later)

7. tell crysyn how easy it was. and how it was so worth it

8. collect stuff and go home and use a sheep for a pillow.

and your telling me thats complicated? thast my idea in a nutshell right there. not alot is required for setting up one of these forges. but it dosent allow you to construct somthing like this immediatly. you need tools first. which you need metal for. youd still ned to acomplish basic starter tasks before you can move on to volcanic forgeing

thirdly. mythology is part of history too >.>

and minecraft is inspired by real life, blocks, and magic

But still, for every amount of metal you heat with the magma, the magma cools, and it would be close to equal in many cases. it just doesn't make sense if you ever look at energy exchange.

I agree with the point made about the forge needing to be by naturally occurring lava, like a source pool, as transporting magma a good distance, keeping it from solifying in the container, AND Keeping yourself from basically dying just moving it, working with small amounts of molten metal is bad enough, but a quantity large enough to heat a forge is well... infeasable. And inevitably the magma would re-solidify in a forge, unless more heat was being added, rendering the system mostly useless.

thast part of the idea. once the bloomery has run out of heat the center is replaced with a volcanic stone block (basalt) which must be removed before you can use it again

and with forges the lava buckits will be used like coal. but when they are used up they turn into a buckit with solid stone in them (basalt) which will need to be removes with a pick axe in your crafting screen before you can use the buckit again. it also gives you 1 basalt rock.

also no system is perfect without an insane amout of coding going into it. which biox dosent want to do. like log piles. which texture suggest the pile can only hold 9 logs not 16

the mod is full of small flaws that would clash with natural physics. but we haft to balance fun with tedious boring science.

Not to mention the fact that unless constantly maintained, it would become solid, and clog up the system, /rant over.

Ah, didn't fully read your comment lakeel, but the point still stands, it's a wasted bucket then.

Edited by Scooterdanny

Not to mention the fact that unless constantly maintained, it would become solid, and clog up the system, /rant over.

Ah, didn't fully read your comment lakeel, but the point still stands, it's a wasted bucket then.

i just said you coud use a pick to empty the buckit of the solidified lava >.>

but that would break the container that held it, force doesn't just disappear...

Still the entire environmental danger of lava = Nonexistence....

firstly lava behind furnace is both unrealistic and too easy

Furnaces do not exist so no worries there ;)

secondly. those "hoops" are only added so that everyone dosent just dig down to the planets core and set up forges.

and how would you propose to dig down

immediately....

with out making any sort of metal tools?

my idea would still require people to set up primitive char coal bloomeries and firepits before they have the ability to set up the somewhat more complicated (but more efficient) volcanic forge.

And this was my intent as well. You simply can not get to lava until you are further along. And one of the underlying factors of TFCraft is settling where unmovable resources are located. Water for farming for instance. It would make sense to me that an unlimited supply of heat for forging and blooming would be the same sort of 'something you move too' later in the game when you were capable of directing to your new home the materials that would be needed to live there.

the buckits/ cheramayic pots are the only way of realistically transporting lava. holding a metal buckit with lava in it is most lickly gonna burn your hands off. then burn holes in the buckit a minuite or 2 later. which is what i aimed for. realism balanced with convienience and fun

requirements to get to volcanic forge stage

<SNIP>

and your telling me thats complicated? thast my idea in a nutshell right there. not alot is required for setting up one of these forges. but it dosent allow you to construct somthing like this immediatly. you need tools first. which you need metal for. youd still ned to acomplish basic starter tasks before you can move on to volcanic forgeing

No, I was more commenting on the put it in a metal bucket, then different ones last different lengths of time, then using ceramic lined buckets then tongs etc.. People were adding in more and more steps to make it more reasonable to do the unreasonable :)

thirdly. mythology is part of history too >.>

and minecraft is inspired by real life, blocks, and magic

Yeah the made up part :P I just find the whole 'The god Vulcan had one so it must be real' part very amusing is all :) Odd things make me laugh, get used to it :)