Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
lakeel

volcanic forgeing and smithing

115 posts in this topic

i cant believer that no one has actually suggested this before. (yeas i searched it)

(IMPROVEMTS MADE THX TO COMMENTERS: 2 )

my idea here is to introduce to the game volcanic forgeing. which has been proven to work. it is both a efficient and highly dangerous method of smelting and forgeing. back in ancient times before there were mass coal mines or there wasnt quality wood nearby. people would use the natural heat of volcanic magma to heat metal and forge it. for 1 in greek mythology volcanic forgeing was used to create the steel used in makeing the automotons (mystical metal soldiers controled by the titan gods) and armor and weapons, in ancient chinese culture volcanic forgeing was used to forge swords and armor that the warloards would use, in norse culture volcanic forges were legendary and often used by the dwarves of odin (and nords) to forge there weapons and armor and rings *cough**cough* "lord of the rings" *cough* where they again harnesed the heat of the local volcanic magma to both heat metal and smelt ore. even the native hawiians back in there tribal days used volcanic forgeing not for metal but for making there stone weapons and ceramionial knives and masks and stuff.

now that i have given evidence to prove that this actually works heres my actual in-game idea

in my idea it includes createing a new form of bloomery & forge made purely of volcanic rock or metal coated stone thast is fuled by purely lava. they would both have similar formats as the oridgional bloomery and forge but fueled by lava (to save programing effort) capable of reaching 25% to 40% hotter temperatures than the average coal bloomery (somewhere between orange and yellow white) and the only graphical (block image)) changes is that instead of that hot cobble looking stuff in the forge and bloomery it would be lava (simple right) now i know what u must be thinking. "this guys must be a real dum*** cause we havent even intorduced anything to hold lava!" well thast part 2 of my idea :D

part 2: "lava harvesting" lava harvesting is going to be similar to gatheing water with its finite liquid mechanics but a bit more hazardeous and complicated. firstly the metal buckits can be crafted from any metal from tin to red steel. at first things are gonna seem like "wow...that was easy to get" but ill soon explane how i have counter balanced that. in real life if you put molten stone in a tin can it would burn through in about 3-10 seconds. well thast the counter balance. with the said tin buckit you can scoop up any random block of lava and carry it but soon the buckit will heat up to its melting point and be destroyed. well youd be like "oh well guess ill make another" but in real life youd be screaming as the lava burnt your flesh off and chared ur bones. so thast where once it melts away a finite (non-sorce) block of lava is spawned where u were standing where it broke. and you would would likely burn to death unless u got out fast or wore protective armor (another reson to make armor! keeps u from melting) if u used a steel buckit then youd have a fair amount of time before a hole got burnt through it at "yellow white" at a rate of "warming" 1.5 secs later "warming* " 1.5 secs later "warming **" and so on till it got to the melting point and burnt through the buckit (maybe a lil faster maybe a lil slower it up to the programer). also you will be able to dump the lava out but in finite liquid form. but ur probably not gonan be able to pick it back up cause it most lickly spread out. also id suggest tongs being added so you dont burn your hands on the buckit. they can be attached to the buckit via welcomg or just crafting table. its for dioxx to decide

buckit plan B

plan b for the buckits is that you can craft a cheramic pot which is basically just a cheramic mold but bigger and far more kick*** than the puny molds >.> ive had multiple ideas on how to craft these pots. i was thinking along the line of 3 clay blocks with a knife in the middle forms a clay pot. then you haft to cook the pot in a forge or somthing till it reaches white (for maximum strength and compensation for size) once its done you attach the tongs onto it and itll function just like a metal buckit except it cant carry water and it heats up a little slower

recipe for buckets:

1 plan form. forged with a 2x metal sheet

x - - - x

x - - - x

x - - - x

x - - - x

- x - x -

2. crafting table recipe wit ordinary metal sheets

- - -

x - x

- x -

3. crafting table. 2x sheet in the middle for the wall of the buckit and 1x sheet for the bottom

part 3: collecting molten ore and bellow issues

once youve melted the ore in the lava bloomery its is collectable in 2 ways depending on the ore. according to physics sence both lava and molten ore are liquids the less dence of the two will float to the top. so if your melting some real heavy duity metal youll be able to harvest it like a normal bloomery from the bottom. but if its a metal lighter than liquid stone than youll haft to harvest it from the top by right clicking with a mold (simple right?). on the issue of the high sulfer content of lava that would cause metal to oxidize and become fragile a friend of mine has pointed out that you can use air to blow out the sulfer from the metal in its molten state. so when its in the volcanic bloomery is fed lava there will be a measurment that says "sulfer content" just above where the lava amount should be (the lava counter amout will replace coal counter) and it will tell you how much sulfer is in the bloomery at that time. the more sulfer you have in the volcanic bloomery the less useable ore you can get from the bloomery once it melts. so if theres a sulfer content of 90.0 than u aint gonna get any metal out of that bloomery. this is where u take a bellows and use it to blow the sulfer from the lava and store it in the side invintory slots for later use. (thx to infinus5 for pointing out a use for bellows) once the lava heat has run out in the forge the lava block/bloomery-fire block at the bottom shall harden into volcanic rock (basalt)

part4: volcanic forge

your probably wondering where the lava would go in a volcanic forge well it actually stayes in the buckits. it lasts 4 times longet than coal and the buckits will no longer heat up to a melting point. they will be donating thee heat to the forge. lasting 4x longet than coal once the heat in the buckits runs out the buckits will either be consumed or turned into rock filled buckets. where you take a pick axe and the stone filled buckit and put it in any crafting menu together and it emptys the bucket (making it like new), takes up 1-5 uses on the pickaxe, and makes u drop 1 volcanic stone (basalt cobble) so basically once ur done with 2 buckits you can empty them and make a stone tool :) as for fueling a bloomery sence pooring the lava from the buckit and letting it flow into the bloomery seem a bit code intensive (idk if it is or not) my suggestion is that there will be a slot above the ore extraction slot that you can place the buckit in and itll empty and 10 fuel points wil be added to the lava (fuel) count. the buckit will retain its heat however and you will need to cool it before useing it again. coling it is not necessary but is recomended so it dosent melt and coat you in lava

part 5: buckit cooldown

buckits will cool down just like and ore, molten ingot, or ingots. but metal buckits can also be filled with water which will help them cool down 70-80% faster that it would by itself. (yay for physics)

minor idea: scooping up some lava in a mold and letting it harden to stone and taking a chisel to it and making it into a super stone tool or somthing....

tell me what you think and any suggestions tio this suggestion you have :) important peoples (developer) comments are highly appreciated :) thx

or, you could do as was suggested in a previous thread, and build it so that natural lava flows into it

or, you could do as was suggested in a previous thread, and build it so that natural lava flows into it

tjhat could work but i have never found a lava pit anywhere in tfc except for the earths core. also is lava is going to be finite like water than a perminitly flowing lava sorce is impossable.

but actually having finite lava flow into it could work too.

and what other thread? i searches up lava and volcanic forging and got nothing

volcanic forging has a major drawback when working with metals

the lava must be very very hot as to have a very low sulfur count

sulfur can do serious damage to the forging process as it causes oxidization of almost all metals

i was taught in a smiting class at school to never to use coals with high sulfur. during the forging process, the iron or steel scaling that often forms on the outside layer of metal falls away and is lost as its essentially fast acting rust. when sulfur gets into the process, the sulfur replaces the oxygen atoms that would have bonded with the steel. instead of welding the metal, you end up causing the metal to become fragile and weak.

same applies to smelting with lava

the "smelting" process requires air to be shot through the super heated ores to blast away the sulfur often found in heavy metal ores. if the sulfur is not driven off, the metal ores mix with the sulfur creating oxides. the metals are lost and basically turn into dust.

sorry to put a damper on your idea, just stating some facts

(though secretly i ve always wanted to make a sword in an active volcano it would look epic :D)

volcanic forging has a major drawback when working with metals

the lava must be very very hot as to have a very low sulfur count

sulfur can do serious damage to the forging process as it causes oxidization of almost all metals

i was taught in a smiting class at school to never to use coals with high sulfur. during the forging process, the iron or steel scaling that often forms on the outside layer of metal falls away and is lost as its essentially fast acting rust. when sulfur gets into the process, the sulfur replaces the oxygen atoms that would have bonded with the steel. instead of welding the metal, you end up causing the metal to become fragile and weak.

same applies to smelting with lava

the "smelting" process requires air to be shot through the super heated ores to blast away the sulfur often found in heavy metal ores. if the sulfur is not driven off, the metal ores mix with the sulfur creating oxides. the metals are lost and basically turn into dust.

sorry to put a damper on your idea, just stating some facts

(though secretly i ve always wanted to make a sword in an active volcano it would look epic :D)

well yes the bad*** factor of making a epic sword in a volcanic forge was one of the cool factors. its cool and it possable.

and u say that for the smelting process it would require air. that would take care off the bellows issure right there. make it to where a bellows is required to smelt the metal properly otherwise u get a fraction of the metal you would notmally get due to the oxidation. or configure somthing to there if u didnt use a bellows when making a tool with a volcanic forge it becomes badly damaged upon completion or somthing. like the ingot will have a thing above the heat measurement that says sulfer count or impurity count. and the higher it gets the more damaged the tool will be upon completion.

also the leftover sulfer can be dropped off in the 4 side invintory things on the forge and bloomery and can be later used for the gunpowder recipe :D

well yes the bad*** factor of making a epic sword in a volcanic forge was one of the cool factors. its cool and it possable.

and u say that for the smelting process it would require air. that would take care off the bellows issure right there. make it to where a bellows is required to smelt the metal properly otherwise u get a fraction of the metal you would notmally get due to the oxidation. or configure somthing to there if u didnt use a bellows when making a tool with a volcanic forge it becomes badly damaged upon completion or somthing. like the ingot will have a thing above the heat measurement that says sulfer count or impurity count. and the higher it gets the more damaged the tool will be upon completion.

also the leftover sulfer can be dropped off in the 4 side invintory things on the forge and bloomery and can be later used for the gunpowder recipe :D

i knew we could use bellows, though to make it more believable we might need something a little stronger.

anyone got an idea for how to blast air into a vat / river of molten rock without setting yourself on fire ?

:)

i knew we could use bellows, though to make it more believable we might need something a little stronger.

anyone got an idea for how to blast air into a vat / river of molten rock without setting yourself on fire ?

:)

1. a leafblower

2.over complicated systm of wind turbines

3. a hurricane

4. a smaller hurricane

5. A GIANT BELLOWS! POWERD BY A WATER MILL!!!

1. a leafblower

2.over complicated systm of wind turbines

3. a hurricane

4. a smaller hurricane

5. A GIANT BELLOWS! POWERD BY A WATER MILL!!!

1. = my backyard ore smelter at home lol

2. = hmm *starts thinking with duct tape

3. = what do we use to contain the winds ??

4. = same as above though a pillow case will do

5. = i like your style :)

1. = my backyard ore smelter at home lol

2. = hmm *starts thinking with duct tape

3. = what do we use to contain the winds ??

4. = same as above though a pillow case will do

5. = i like your style :)

1. mine too :D

2. duct tape :) the solution to everything

3. giant pillow!

4. kk

5. thx ^^

still neeed to think of somthing more powerful tyhen a bellows...

we use a bag of wind to blow through the ores.

Looking through a bunch of Greek history to find info on pneumatics. They used condensed air in quite a few inventions, but it is never really explained. Without a doubt it is powerful enough though as even cannons were made from it.

Edit: I found a roman water pump that could be easily adjusted to move air also and would be operated by a turn-crank, lever, or even steam-powered. But why do we need this pump versus the bellows it basically does the same thing.

Looking through a bunch of Greek history to find info on pneumatics. They used condensed air in quite a few inventions, but it is never really explained. Without a doubt it is powerful enough though as even cannons were made from it.

Edit: I found a roman water pump that could be easily adjusted to move air also and would be operated by a turn-crank, lever, or even steam-powered. But why do we need this pump versus the bellows it basically does the same thing.

gases from the lava would be to hot for the current bellows, and we need more force to push the air through the thick molten rock

gases from the lava would be to hot for the current bellows, and we need more force to push the air through the thick molten rock

well lava + leather bellows = fire

so we need a version of the bellows that wont burst into flames or melt

maybe a bellows coated in metal sheets? it wouldnt catch fire and the weigh of the metal would give more air pressure

No, I understand now here is the schematic....Posted Image

If you don't understand that just tell me, but that is the schematic although my problem is the recipe for this would need pipes and one way stoppers as well as whatever we would want to use as a trigger. An added benefit is this is also a water pump. But another problem is that it doesn't release at high speeds, but it could be used to add pressure to a releasing device.

Edit: I looked for explanations in mythology all that I could find was that Vulcan/Hephaestus had a forge in an volcano that used bellows.

No, I understand now here is the schematic....Posted Image

If you don't understand that just tell me, but that is the schematic although my problem is the recipe for this would need pipes and one way stoppers as well as whatever we would want to use as a trigger. An added benefit is this is also a water pump. But another problem is that it doesn't release at high speeds, but it could be used to add pressure to a releasing device.

this could work :) theres part of the problem solved

i just want this idea added to the mod :) so find anything and everything u can think of to perfect this idea

btw its actually pre-greek mythology before the greek gods were freed from kronosis belly and the titans ruled everything

this sounds pretty awesome

I like the idea of accidentally having lava melt your bucket :P

this sounds pretty awesome

I like the idea of accidentally having lava melt your bucket :P

*walks over to lava pit

*scoops up some liquid fire

*you look down to figure out why your feet are so hot at the mo ....

It would melt just as fast...

It would melt just as fast...

what about a ceramic cup or melting pot

i ve only had one instance of those failing in extreme heat

Sounds good to me, a ceramic pot would be great. If they do melt we could just use a damage bar but either way this would make a very interesting trip.

Sounds good to me, a ceramic pot would be great. If they do melt we could just use a damage bar but either way this would make a very interesting trip.

true a ceramic pot would be pratical. and yess the damage bar thing would work too. but id like to intropduce metal bucketss in with this as well....hmmm....

the pot would lickly be crafted from 3 clay "blocks" in a bowl shape witha knife in the middle to shape it

or be the same recipe as clay molds but with clay blocks

or taking 3 clay molds. put them in bowl shape, put clay chunk in the bottom corners and a knife on the top to carve them together

true a ceramic pot would be pratical. and yess the damage bar thing would work too. but id like to intropduce metal bucketss in with this as well....hmmm....

the pot would lickly be crafted from 3 clay "blocks" in a bowl shape witha knife in the middle to shape it

or be the same recipe as clay molds but with clay blocks

or taking 3 clay molds. put them in bowl shape, put clay chunk in the bottom corners and a knife on the top to carve them together

what about a reenforced bucket? the core of the bucket would be ceramic and this would be surrounded with an iron frame. each part is made separately in the crafting table and than brought together by placing each piece on the ground. you now have a smelting pot that has very long life and it could be used to either directly store molten rock (though to keep it hot you need a forge or smelter).