Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pop1040

foot holds

32 posts in this topic

If you think about it, ladders in minecraft don't make too much sense, you just places them on a block and they will be magically anchored there and you can then clime up them. So here is my idea; If you right click with a pickax, it will act like when you are breaking a block and would play the breaking sounds but would not display the breaking texture and instead when the sound that playes when a stone block is broken, the side of the block would then have foot holds. the block would look like this:

Posted Image

what do you think?

I like this, I have always had problems because of the fact that ladders occupy another block and cost resources. However this idea would essentially remove ladders, what if climbing up these stone faces was slower though just to balance it out.

steves foot is larger than that small hole, much larger. I like the idea, but it would be strange climbing up a rock with little holes.

Then we make the holes bigger why is that a problem?

Then we make the holes bigger why is that a problem?

i just think it would look silly with the small holes.

If littles hole looks weird, we can have one big hole on the center left, and two half holes in the upper rigth, and upper bottom, so when two blocks anre marked, the half holes looks like one

yknow theres this thing called smartmoving that lets you climb up blocks right?

good concept but i dunno it just seems kinda weird carving little holes into the rocks

Smart moving doesn't work like that last time I checked and if it does that needs to be fixed as Steve isn't Spiderman. With sticks becoming almost a rare commodity in SMP this a well balanced and reusable alternative to ladders.

yknow theres this thing called smartmoving that lets you climb up blocks right?

good concept but i dunno it just seems kinda weird carving little holes into the rocks

The max number of blocks you can climb is 5, with smart moving. Ladders/handholds would let you continue up indefinitely

If littles hole looks weird, we can have one big hole on the center left, and two half holes in the upper rigth, and upper bottom, so when two blocks and marked, the half holes looks like one

that's a good idea because the lower and upper blocks don't really need to have bigger holes.

+1 this idea ! I think you can already do this using smart moving and stair blocks though, so if you have a chisel that renders this redundant sort of....

+1 this idea ! I think you can already do this using smart moving and stair blocks though, so if you have a chisel that renders this redundant sort of....

Well you can't move straight up with stairs like you can with ladders, and not everyone should have to install a separate mod just to be able to climb shit. I think this suggestion is meant to replace ladders, unless I'm mistaken

Smart moving doesn't work like that last time I checked and if it does that needs to be fixed as Steve isn't Spiderman. With sticks becoming almost a rare commodity in SMP this a well balanced and reusable alternative to ladders.

i dont know why people are talking about sticks being rare, i hear it alot all over the place

in my experiences with TFC i've actually had way too many sticks and end up always having 2 or 3 stacks of them at a time

SMP it becomes rare and this would replace the need for us to install smart moving to make a stone ladder because not everyone does that.

i dont know why people are talking about sticks being rare, i hear it alot all over the place

in my experiences with TFC i've actually had way too many sticks and end up always having 2 or 3 stacks of them at a time

only 2 or 3 stacks? you haven't made many scythes have you?, I routinely have like 9-12 stacks of sticks.

For those who think footholds are silly, they have a long and illustrious history worldwide, from the cliff dwellers of the Southwestern United States,

Posted Image

Posted Image

to the deserts of ancient egypt (footholds here are below the person standing in the arch).

Posted Image

They would only add to the stone age aesthetic of the early game, and as an added bonus perhaps they could be carved using stone tools, instead of a pick. This would give them a place in the early game, before ladders become easy to obtain.

I like this idea.. Even the small footholds make sense to me (have you seen how close the ladder rungs are to each other? Stop worrying about crap like that! :D)

I think this would be a good addition to the game and coincide with smart moving. (It should be noted that smart moving needs a ledge to climb on, this is just a way of marking -mid-wall blocks as 'ledge'able really).

Also, regardless of this idea getting into the game or not I highly recommend everyone install Smart Movement along with TFCraft.. it is almost an expected to be installed mod at this point in time :)

I like this idea.. Even the small footholds make sense to me (have you seen how close the ladder rungs are to each other? Stop worrying about crap like that! :D)

I think this would be a good addition to the game and coincide with smart moving. (It should be noted that smart moving needs a ledge to climb on, this is just a way of marking -mid-wall blocks as 'ledge'able really).

Also, regardless of this idea getting into the game or not I highly recommend everyone install Smart Movement along with TFCraft.. it is almost an expected to be installed mod at this point in time :)

Lol smart moving is definitely one of the mods I'll be installing with TFC for my RealCraft LP later on

I did mean this as a sort-of replacement for ladders but I don't think they should be completely removed, I just was thinking it made more sense for spelunking and that ladders are really overpriced in the beginning of the game

I like the idea, I would probably never use it my self, (sense I have smart move Iv never even bother making ladders for any thing but attic or basement access) but having the option would be great.

Instead of the pickaxe making the holes, maybe that power should be given to a new tool, maybe something that resembles a climbing pick?

After all, being able to climb up from any where you are with just a pick is alot of power when before you needed alot of sticks and a crafting bench before.

And with it being its own item you can lose durability from it and still feel right.

what about the rules of this ability?

like, can it be used on ores?

when you mine a block with foot holds do you still get the normal item drop?

Will it work on 'loose' blocks like dirt, cobblestone, sand and gravel?

will it work on wooden blocks like trees, logs, and planks?

This seems like it would be best for climbing up, if ladders where changed to somehow unroll downward when you place them then these 2 climbing methods would be like yin to the others yang.

One designed for climbing up the other for climbing down.

You'd need a a new block for each block you'd be able to climb up to realize this idea. The good thing about ladders from a technical point of view is that you only have to have one block which can be placed on any defined block.

This much work for so little return - ladders work and are not unrealistic - seems pretty silly, especially considering that there are much more important things to do at the moment.

No offense but it seems pretty unlikely for this to happen.

It would take up an extra block but it really isn't a super huge work load its more of just a copy paste kind of deal, heck I could probably do it. And I do not mean to replace ladders just simply make an alternative for them.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0