Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pop1040

foot holds

32 posts in this topic

You'd need a a new block for each block you'd be able to climb up to realize this idea. The good thing about ladders from a technical point of view is that you only have to have one block which can be placed on any defined block.

This much work for so little return - ladders work and are not unrealistic - seems pretty silly, especially considering that there are much more important things to do at the moment.

No offense but it seems pretty unlikely for this to happen.

It would take up an extra block but it really isn't a super huge work load its more of just a copy paste kind of deal, heck I could probably do it. And I do not mean to replace ladders just simply make an alternative for them.

While this does seem like a low priority it would also be very simple to implement. Cut/Paste the ladder block into a new block. Give it a texture that puts little shading on the edge where the ladder's texture would appear, and poof.. you are done. It would act like an overly like the ladder would. (Note that you would want to do some clean up for when blocks that have been knotched have been picked to remove this block, but still, overall pretty simple :))

why would it even need a new block? couldn't there simply be a new damage value for the climbable version of each rock type? seems to me there are plenty of dmg values left unused currently

why would it even need a new block? couldn't there simply be a new damage value for the climbable version of each rock type? seems to me there are plenty of dmg values left unused currently

Hell, use metadata values

The same kind of metadata tricks used by stair blocks to determine what orietation allows ascent could be used to determine a climbable surface on the block

You'd need a a new block for each block you'd be able to climb up to realize this idea. The good thing about ladders from a technical point of view is that you only have to have one block which can be placed on any defined block.

This much work for so little return - ladders work and are not unrealistic - seems pretty silly, especially considering that there are much more important things to do at the moment.

No offense but it seems pretty unlikely for this to happen.

actually this is meant as a change that would happen to the stone and therefor would be a damage value change, not a new block

I like the idea, I would probably never use it my self, (sense I have smart move Iv never even bother making ladders for any thing but attic or basement access) but having the option would be great.

Instead of the pickaxe making the holes, maybe that power should be given to a new tool, maybe something that resembles a climbing pick?

After all, being able to climb up from any where you are with just a pick is alot of power when before you needed alot of sticks and a crafting bench before.

And with it being its own item you can lose durability from it and still feel right.

what about the rules of this ability?

like, can it be used on ores?

when you mine a block with foot holds do you still get the normal item drop?

Will it work on 'loose' blocks like dirt, cobblestone, sand and gravel?

will it work on wooden blocks like trees, logs, and planks?

This seems like it would be best for climbing up, if ladders where changed to somehow unroll downward when you place them then these 2 climbing methods would be like yin to the others yang.

One designed for climbing up the other for climbing down.

I think this would only work on stone which would not retain the foothold when falling as it turns into cobble

cobble would not work as it can be easily obtained and replaced because footholds would be mainly for getting around natural formations and not for buildings

Also, when the block is mined, it would act like a normal stone but when it is carved out(as in removing the surrounding blocks) it would drop the same thing as if it had been mined

how's that sound?

A replacement for ladders, no. An alternative for ladders, absolutly.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0