Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
DoodTheDud

Animal mating

53 posts in this topic

Having issues finding any information on it. I'm aware the butchery system is on its way and that animals are being improved, but as of right now, how does animal breeding work?

I believe you right click an animal to tell if its male or female, also males are bigger per the size code. Have to have a male and female to breed them, not just 2 random cows.

Everything said by Jasnatdic, as well as, according to my studies in game, you have to right click on the female animal before the male, it takes a few months for the pregnancy to take effect and have the animal give birth, a few months to grow, You can grow larger animals to get more meat and leather by selective breeding, or getting the largest males and females to reproduce and get a large animal as an outcome, eventually they can get quite big, IDK if there's a limit though, lol I can just imagine a GIGANTIC animal that could give a few hundred pieces of meat per kill XD

But how? The same as normal Minecraft? With Wheat? Do you just leave 'em near each other? Isn't there a mating season? Or is that a future plan?

Also, why do some animals say "MaleFemale" when right-clicked, and vice-versa? Do I use the first one listed? I've literally never been able to click fast enough to get only one reading. It's either MaleMale, FemaleFemale, FemaleMale, or MaleFemale.

It is extremely rare to find an animal that has the same gender listed twice.

For the Malefemale thing, you may be in a later version, yes, you use wheat, yes, just near each other, there is a mating season, for wild animals. You do the female first, that is what I have found.

For the Malefemale thing, you may be in a later version

Not sure what you mean. This has been a consistent issue for all the players on my server on each version we've tried. Thank you for the rest of your response, however. We could breed them now if we knew what gender they were, but we're pretty sure all our animals are sterile hermaphrodites at the moment according to the debug feature :P

Lol, go by the one that appears second. I have that issue also on a server, but I thought you were talking about SSP, Next time be a little bit more specific on which type your playing on, as there are different issues with both SMP and SSP ;)

Lol, go by the one that appears second. I have that issue also on a server, but I thought you were talking about SSP, Next time be a little bit more specific on which type your playing on, as there are different issues with both SMP and SSP ;)

Appreciated, thanks.

From what I've heard, the animal breeding system is not developed enough to be a worthwhile means of food production. Better to just make bread, plant fruit trees and cook chicken eggs.

Did you kow that homoexuality exist in nature.

Just saying.

Did you kow that homoexuality exist in nature.

Just saying.

Sure it's homosexuality and not just horneyness?

And besides what's been said, I have no idea. Even using pure breed genders and having the female initiate it, nothing ever comes of it anymore (after the first time, none of mine will form pairs). Think they've all just gone sterile.

Sure it's homosexuality and not just horneyness?

And besides what's been said, I have no idea. Even using pure breed genders and having the female initiate it, nothing ever comes of it anymore (after the first time, none of mine will form pairs). Think they've all just gone sterile.

You do realize the gestation period is 3(?) game months? then 6 months for the offspring to reach maturity

You do realize the gestation period is 3(?) game months? then 6 months for the offspring to reach maturity

Yup and two years later nothing (SMP), even mixing and matching all the different pairs results in nothing.

sorry about all that guys. The animal mating can be a bit.... difficult at times, but i am working on improving how easy it is to use. In the next update, you'll find that on SMP, only the correct sex is displayed by the animals. Using wheat, just as in vanilla makes them breed. The female will become pregnant, at which point she will no longer be mated with by males. Roughly 4 months after she is impregnated, she will give birth to a baby animal. (I changed these somewhat from vanilla). Over the next 3 months, the baby will slowly grow in size to that of an adult. Hunting and breeding is supposed to be a supplement to your farming, which, from what I understand won't be as easy in the future?

snip

Sweet, you rock Dunk.

No visual representation or metadata for pregnant animals anytime soon? or still just going with this |/ for the time being. Though all things considered, as long as it works, I guess it's probably not that high on the to-do-list.

for debugging, I made a feature where right clicking on animals tells their sex, and i think I might leave this in. (In the future, genders will have more distinct differences, like lack of utter for example) There is also no way to tell if an animal is pregnant, but iirc, it gets pregant 100% when it mates atm

Can't we make them mate on their own? i feel i shouldn't have to feed my livestock Aphrodisiac laced wheat to make them breed, couldn't there just be a mating season in which they would breed just by close contact?

Can't we make them mate on their own? i feel i shouldn't have to feed my livestock Aphrodisiac laced wheat to make them breed, couldn't there just be a mating season in which they would breed just by close contact?

There is code to make them mate on their own, but I never really tested it to see if it worked. There was a fiasco with trying to make males fight for dominance and mating rights, but I won't go into it... I'll look into it right now.

BTW, in 48, bulls no longer have utters. As this progresses, I will add in more differences until it's all visual.

:o Excellent, i look forward to it Dunk :D

Also, it would allow for somewhat realistic ecology, including hunting animals (think wolves and sheep) and also human hunting to be repaired over time by repopulation. so you could theoretically have a city all based on hunting, without actually causing micro-Extinction.

:o Excellent, i look forward to it Dunk :D

Also, it would allow for somewhat realistic ecology, including hunting animals (think wolves and sheep) and also human hunting to be repaired over time by repopulation. so you could theoretically have a city all based on hunting, without actually causing micro-Extinction.

That's the whole point. Especially because you can't breed deer. They are so skittish that they run away from you quite quickly. You can get slightly closer by approaching while crouched, but after a certain point (12 metres I think?) they automatically detect you and run off, alerting all near by deer to your presence.

That's the whole point. Especially because you can't breed deer. They are so skittish that they run away from you quite quickly. You can get slightly closer by approaching while crouched, but after a certain point (12 metres I think?) they automatically detect you and run off, alerting all near by deer to your presence.

How about the possibility of tameing deer, even if quite difficult? Many breed of dear are domesticated, some for centuries. Like the raindeer hearded by, I think, the innuit natives.

Stampede ? Stampede.

Now all we need is a heart wrenching story of a lion and his father :P

But seriously, that sounds awesome. If it works as well as it sounds like it will I'm mailing you beer :P

:o stampedes... imagine trying to hunt herds of buffalo, then after startling one, the whole herd goes bat-shit crazy and causes a stampede, it would certainly add an interesting dynamic to hunting XD Also, if i can ride deer, i shall become Ashitaka from Princess Mononoke (anime movie)

no, as a default, deer won't let you get any where close to them. Same with wolves and bears (although this doesn't seem to work for some reason)

After a look at 1.3 vanilla pre-releases would it at all be possible for a female to look pregnant looking by having her one-hit killed by the male dropping an invisible corpse with no items while simultaneously adding a pregnant version of a femal with a bulge such as villagers are zombified?

After a look at 1.3 vanilla pre-releases would it at all be possible for a female to look pregnant looking by having her one-hit killed by the male dropping an invisible corpse with no items while simultaneously adding a pregnant version of a femal with a bulge such as villagers are zombified?

I have no clue wtf you just tried to ask.