Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Johnny_Madhouse

Javelin tweak: The atlatl

18 posts in this topic

Currently, javelins take a fair amount of inventory space if you plan on having two or three on hand at all time (which you should, because crafting them with a creeper coming at you is nerve-wracking). Javelins also fly absurdly straight and fast for something thrown from the hand. Why not address both of these with the addition of an atlatl, or throwing board? This is an ancient tool used to extend the lever length of the human arm in order to impart greater power to a throw.

EDIT: If you want to say this out loud, it's something like "attle-attle."

Both images come from here: http://hands.unm.edu/atlatls.html

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlatl

"A traditional atlatl is a long-range weapon and can readily impart to a projectile speeds of over 150 km/h (93 mph)"

This would be extremely friendly to the aesthetic of the game! Players would need to carve/craft an atlatl at the beginning of the game in order to throw javelins properly. The atlatl could function with javelins the way the bow does with arrows. For the sake of not making things too easy, javelins would only stack to 4 or so. This would reduce inventory clutter, and be awesome.

sounds like a middle-american name. Aztec?

Either way, a decent idea

Shame it becomes useless as soon as you get 3 string...

Yeah, it's Aztec. When the Spanish speaking blue-eyed invaders came, they fought natives with atlatls.

I personally don't use a bow, as I like to leave my chickens alive for delicious eggs. Javelins are also really versatile, as you can craft them without a table down in the mines when you need to clear out a random pool of creepers!

I can see this working in this way:

The thrown javelin damage is buffed up until it makes more damage than the arrow -although i think it already does, i still haven't had the chance to throw a javelin-, and the charge time or the atlatl is set to nearly a 1/3 of the bow's charge time. It's aim, however, is nerfed to the point where you will fail half of the time you shot at a mob at -insert some number here- blocks of distance.

This way, even with the bow, you have to choose between them:

-If you choose the atlatl and javelins, you have strong and faster attacks, and you can make more ammo whenever you need it, more easily than arrows (come on, tell me you don't carry rocks and sticks almost wherever you go...).

-If you choose the bow and arrows, you have a accurate, safer attack (since you can snipe a mob from the safety of your roof) which ammo is more space-efficient since arrows stack to 64 instead of only 4. the crafting of this ammo is also more efficient (instead of 1 ammo for 2 materials, 4 ammo for 3)

Yeah, it's Aztec. When the Spanish speaking blue-eyed invaders came, they fought natives with atlatls.

I personally don't use a bow, as I like to leave my chickens alive for delicious eggs. Javelins are also really versatile, as you can craft them without a table down in the mines when you need to clear out a random pool of creepers!

Addressing those issues in order-

Once you have 4 or 5 chickens cooped up, all the other wild ones that spawn are fair game, and feathers drop practically by the stack

Arrows are now shapeless recipes, craftable in your inventory

Arrows are now shapeless recipes, craftable in your inventory

They are? o.o i never saw that in the changelog... but that's neat!

oh, well, i will just edit my previous post

the local first nations bands still use the traditional atlatl (the same name is used from northern canada to mexico o.o)

they use theres to help guide there long fishing spears onto target.

i would be interesting to see this piece of tech ingame :D

Javalins are already more powerful than an arrow (two javalins will kill any creeper, skeleton or zombie compared to an arrows 3-4 depending on distance). Javalins also seem to have a longer range, or at the very least, or a hell of a lot more accurate because they fly straight as compared to the arrow's arc.

If this were a change to be made I wouldn't mind javalins stacking in groups of four and when thrown have about 1/2 their current strenght and a slight tendency to veer to the left or right. The atlatl would give the javalin its current straight flight path and bring it to its current strength as well. The offset would be that the atlatl and javalin would both take durability damage (making arrows still a viable choice with only the bow taking damage over time as well as arrows stacking in much larger quantities).

As they stand, I do not see the bow really as a worthy weapon, carrying four javalins on me and circle strafing groups of enemies to pick up spent javalins has always gotten me through all my battles to date. Hell I haven't even really made a sword, they are that good.

Like this idea. With Enzer on the current jav nerf in order to fit this in. In their current state, javs seem really powerful. Their only weakness is their inability to stack. But they are powerful and cheap. If you were to allow auto-loading and/or stacking, some nerfing would have to be done.

If you were to allow auto-loading and/or stacking, some nerfing would have to be done.

invtweaks...and you're done, it will replace the one you just used with another one from the inventory :D

It's aim, however, is nerfed to the point where you will fail half of the time you shot at a mob at -insert some number here- blocks of distance.

The aiming was nerfed???

Spots a Pig standing on a mountain around 40 blocks away and 30 higher then currently standing, barely visible behind a block. One shots it...

Really??? Maybe you just stink at aiming with stuff like this...

The aiming was nerfed???

Spots a Pig standing on a mountain around 40 blocks away and 30 higher then currently standing, barely visible behind a block. One shots it...

If you reread his post, he was describing a hypothetical update. Though it was a little funny that he was talking about javelin balance while simultaneously admitting he had never actually used a javelin. :)

invtweaks...and you're done, it will replace the one you just used with another one from the inventory :D

Which is a mod. The devs can't be expected to nerf javs on the assumption that someone may download another mod, but if they're adding the feature natively into his mod, they should nerf them.

Which is a mod. The devs can't be expected to nerf javs on the assumption that someone may download another mod, but if they're adding the feature natively into his mod, they should nerf them.

I know, just felt like pointing it out

The aiming was nerfed???

I don't know if you read it wrong or if i writed it wrong, but what i meant to say is that, in order for that thing i said to work, the javelins aim should be nerfed. Also, it would be really helpful if you actually contributed to the thread, instead of coming over here just for trying to troll someone :

And...

Though it was a little funny that he was talking about javelin balance while simultaneously admitting he had never actually used a javelin. :)

: in fact i do use them, but only for melee 'cause i thinked it was better at melee than ranged. I end up making like a hundred of them before getting enough tin/bismuth/zinc for a bar. Yeah, playing TFC like a pro *Irony* XD

But they are powerful and cheap.

Which is the reason why i said their aim should be nerfed :P

the javelin does more damage than the bow. I still use javelins to fight and i have a sword and bow.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0