Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Buzhwaz

Balanced Diet

72 posts in this topic

another food idea. how about a multi-leveled food system rather than the one-food-fits-all approach?

the system would just use the five food groups: fruit, vegetables, grain, protein, and dairy. http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/foodgroups.html

each group would have its own stat which would diminish over time; and you must provide the right food to satiate it.

the foods are also connected to your performance in game. for example...

low fruit (or sugars) affects your speed, and you walk slower.

low vegetables affect your intelligence and it lengthens cook times in the firepits and forges.

low grain affects your dexterity and you get smaller yield when chopping trees or sawing planks.

low protein affects your strength and you get a debuff to mining.

low dairy affects your constitution and you take more damage in combat.

a couple of other things could change too...

*add lots of wild berries and nuts and other foods that require foraging. right now, these could be drops from tree branches and grass.

*all food (cooked or uncooked) rots over time. that is, unless it's meat which has been cured by storing it in a barrel of salt or smoked in a charcoal pit. also, if you keep too much rotten flesh in your camp or on your person, it will attract unfriendly mobs.

Forcing people to people to eat different types of food, interesting. This would certainly change the game up, I don't think the buffs are the way to do that or they could be I guess but not the way you are thinking of. What I think of is Sims (castaways in particular) on the left side they have a long list of status bars which you can open by pressing a button, that would work well for us considering all the status bars suggested to us. If your suggestion would work we would need several new status bars, strength, energy and all the bars for the individual food groups (dexterity, intelligence and constitution aren't really necessary and could just affect the other two). I picture strength affecting strength of mining (each hit does more damage to the block), attack power, defense power and possibly range of weapons, it would be more how your muscles are feeling(i.e. sore if the bar was low). Energy would also affect speed of mining, movement speed, attack speed and duration of sprint. The food group bars would be shown only if you were to click on the hunger bar and it would show you what it is you are hungry for and what you couldn't eat another bite of eating the food you want would give your character more energy(cake) and eating something hearty would give your character strength(steak). The two bottom things have been previously discussed in quite a bit of detail.

two words came in my mind when i finished reading this: realistic RPG

I actually like this idea, but I have a feeling bioxx will hate it

This is implemented with saturation. We cant see this, but meats fill it the most, then bread, then melons, then apples. Already in vanilla. :3

Interesting idea. I like the Idea in principal but in the way you describe it sounds like it would be hard to code. For instance lack of vegetables the causing cook time to be longer.

It could be a lot simpler to code if you just used potion effects. This is a vanilla mechanic that could be tapped relatively easily.

I been having this idea on my mind for a while now. Looks good!

This is implemented with saturation. We cant see this, but meats fill it the most, then bread, then melons, then apples. Already in vanilla. :3

no, it isnt, it doesnt REQUIRE you to eat different foods, it has 1 value for all of them

If your suggestion would work we would need several new status bars, strength, energy and all the bars for the individual food groups

it doesn't have to be that complex. i imagine that the ten slots in the current food bar would simply be divided into five parts...two for each food group.

like this...

as long as you have food in any group you won't starve. and healing should happen over time whether or not your food bar is full. it should just happen faster if all food groups are filled to capacity.

by the way... i used Lumireaver's carrot sprite from his/her texture pack submission. nice work.

see... the whole 'bars and charts' thing really bothers me here.

If you feel you absolutely must have this, then put an invisible counter for each stat, linked to the hunger bar. For each drop in the hunger meter, the counter would increase by one until it reached a predetermined maxiumum and a debuff activates. Eg., there could be a 'scurvy' debuff from not eating enough citrus containing items. And each time you eat an item that satisfies that particular requirement, it resets that counter to 0 and re-calculates the maximum to a random number between preset values.

This way it ties the debuffs to hunger, so that you don't end up with an unresolvable debuff because you can't eat with a full hunger bar

Also, if still craftable, golden apples should satisfy all requirements

Here's a little snippet of pseudocode to illustrate what I mean:

Public int nextInt(){     int citrusCountTimer = (next(11) + 35);     return citrusCountTimer;}Public void citrusCount(){     int citrusCount = 0;     //not the slightest clue here how you'd detect the foodLevel value, so I pulled the on.foodLevelDown event out of my ass     on.foodLevelDown citrusCount++;     nextInt = new nextInt();     if citrusCount=citrusCountTimer{          //totally made up this part below. Let's just assume that 0263 is the potion effect ID or whatever for scurvy, and that apply.potionEffect is how minecraft implements potions          apply.potionEffect(0263);            }}Public static void EventHandler(use.*){     //making up numbers here assuming they're the item IDs of citrus-containing foods     if use.item(1632, 1633, 1634){          citrusCount=0;     }}

...whew.

Remind me never to take up java...

The point of this is to encourage people to eat different foods because during winter months and so forth in SSP a citrus containing fruit will not exist and we will all get scurvy or be forced to grow tons of cabbage. Nutrient-depletion will not be easy to do because of first off the amount of nutrients that we would end up adding and second the fact that nobody wants to check the nutritional value of in-game food. Just a slight boost to your abilities if you have a large variety of foods which is plenty believable.

The point of this is to encourage people to eat different foods because during winter months and so forth in SSP a citrus containing fruit will not exist and we will all get scurvy or be forced to grow tons of cabbage. Nutrient-depletion will not be easy to do because of first off the amount of nutrients that we would end up adding and second the fact that nobody wants to check the nutritional value of in-game food. Just a slight boost to your abilities if you have a large variety of foods which is plenty believable.

During 2 in-game weeks of harvest season I collected enough cherries from 3 trees to overfill a double chest. And this was before the size nerf on them, and while I was focused on building a pathway up the mountain my house was on. Fruit, when you find it, is fucking ABUNDANT.

Pre-settling, you find orange or lemon trees in the wild. Post settlement, you harvest from your grove and store store store them aaaaaallllll away for the coming year.

Same goes for meat - until you go domestic, it actually gives you good reason to not only hunt, but gather

Abundant for a month maybe yes but after that its gone so what about before that month? Will we need to live through scurvy? I'm not sure if requiring multiple very specific resources is a great idea. Its essentially penalizing anyone who can't access a resource for a large number of reasons. Rewarding those who choose to rather than forcing people to do something and limiting gameplay is a probably going to be a far less stressful route.

Abundant for a month maybe yes but after that its gone so what about before that month? Will we need to live through scurvy? I'm not sure if requiring multiple very specific resources is a great idea. Its essentially penalizing anyone who can't access a resource for a large number of reasons. Rewarding those who choose to rather than forcing people to do something and limiting gameplay is a probably going to be a far less stressful route.

Right, so i guess that all those historic ship captains and crew should have just not gotten a buff to sailing when they ran out of limes, right?

Don't be daft man, tfc is ALREADY stressful, and I think a proper implementation of this could really benefit the atmosphere of 'shit I need to save up for the winter'

And do you know how long all those bloody cherries lasted me? That one harvest season's worth got me through all the way till the next spring. And I wasn't even eating anything else. Just cherries. And you know what? I didn't even need to harvest them again because I was still eating the ones from last year.

If you have an orchard of 4+ of all the trees you have, you're set for life. You just need to remember to bring some along on long trips.

I want this implemented in some form .. I really feel like there is nothing forcing me to eat a balanced diet right now, and I like to be forced to challenge myself :P

The whole idea is very interesting and would enrich gameplay. In vanilla, and in actual state of TFC we've got three stages of food-gathering:

1. player hunts for wild animals (in TFC also fruits, if there are any) and gathers wheat seeds

2. player still hunts for animals (and fruits), wheat farm starts to produce wheat but is still small

3. Wheat farm sized more than 100, player has plenty of bread, is constantly growing up his farm (stone hoe working at machinegun speed and is practically at no cost) and doesn't give a ... care about anything else

and as stage 3 can be achieved quite soon, gathering food is difficult only in early games. I personally take with myself full stack of bread/meat and forget about gathering until it runs off. But wait, I've got another 3 full stacks of bread in chest - harvest can wait, who cares...

In TFC actually meat isn't available all time (animals must grow up, etc.), but animals now drop large amounts. It also leads to eating up large numbers of meat. Again, running with full stack of steaks, and only them.

To sum it up, the only problem with food after obtaining constant source of only one food type, is to forget refilling your bread/meat stack from chest before leving home.

Reworking nutrition would add some difficulty in late games, but this change would also push TFC toward practically-multiplayer-only, bacause taking care about many 'food facilities' instead of just one means another chores to players, which of course require in game time thah could be used for something other. This should be considered, but to me balanced diet idea is very good.

And something about nutrition itself - it has been discussed in other threads, but fits here: thirst (as we want to add need for special types of food (vitamins), why not add water to this list ?), as dehydration is quite more dangerous than lack of elements. The second idea is to gather all negative effects into stamina (also already discussed) - when in lack of elements, stamina bar would't refill to full state, use up faster and thus everything we do would be slower. Under keyboard shortcut (just like callendar) it would be 'health screen', where information about needed food types is.

wordswordswords

Idk dude, even though I had enough cherries for approximately forever in my last world, I also liked the flavor and aesthetics of my own farm, so I had chickens for both meat and eggs penned up, some cows, a wheat farm, and at least 3 other kinds of fruit tree.

Early game was survived by just making sure to go far afield on my hunting trips so I had animals readily at hand for when I was ready to tame them, since the local fauna was still all living

Right, so i guess that all those historic ship captains and crew should have just not gotten a buff to sailing when they ran out of limes, right?

Don't be daft man, tfc is ALREADY stressful, and I think a proper implementation of this could really benefit the atmosphere of 'shit I need to save up for the winter'

And do you know how long all those bloody cherries lasted me? That one harvest season's worth got me through all the way till the next spring. And I wasn't even eating anything else. Just cherries. And you know what? I didn't even need to harvest them again because I was still eating the ones from last year.

If you have an orchard of 4+ of all the trees you have, you're set for life. You just need to remember to bring some along on long trips.

Yes those captains do need fruit but the problem is these captains can just go to the market and by them unlike us where we have to have a seed close to a forest or preferably a plains, we have to find the fruit tree, replant the fruit tree, grow the fruit tree, eventually harvest the fruit tree. I get it once you reach this point food is no longer a problem but what about before that, its a long time until it happens, I honestly have never even played a full year and by the time we get to harvest time we would be so sick from vitamin-deficiency we wouldn't be able to pick any cherries anyways.

Its shouldn't be stressful the way I'm referring to the kind of "this sucks something bad happened and its almost completely unfixable and I can't do a single thing about it" stress that is what we want to avoid.

I agree with the above statement, The more variety of food you eat the more bonus' you should get.

Yes those captains do need fruit but the problem is these captains can just go to the market and by them unlike us where we have to have a seed close to a forest or preferably a plains, we have to find the fruit tree, replant the fruit tree, grow the fruit tree, eventually harvest the fruit tree. I get it once you reach this point food is no longer a problem but what about before that, its a long time until it happens, I honestly have never even played a full year and by the time we get to harvest time we would be so sick from vitamin-deficiency we wouldn't be able to pick any cherries anyways.

Its shouldn't be stressful the way I'm referring to the kind of "this sucks something bad happened and its almost completely unfixable and I can't do a single thing about it" stress that is what we want to avoid.

I agree with the above statement, The more variety of food you eat the more bonus' you should get.

...you know that the wild-spawning fruit trees bear fruit right? It's not just the planted ones.

Just find a tree nearby.

that's what I do

problem becomes, when you're running SMP and you've got more mouths and somewhat less space per person, will the fruit trees seem as bountiful then?

...you know that the wild-spawning fruit trees bear fruit right? It's not just the planted ones.

Just find a tree nearby.

that's what I do

I understand that but the problem is that some places don't have fruit nearby because just plain bad luck, the other point is these fruits can only be harvested during one part of the year what happens before that time comes. I have yet to play a full year as it takes a long time if this were to be implemented I would have to restart over and over until I find a very good seed we don't want people to need to be lucky just to be able to play.

I understand that but the problem is that some places don't have fruit nearby because just plain bad luck, the other point is these fruits can only be harvested during one part of the year what happens before that time comes. I have yet to play a full year as it takes a long time if this were to be implemented I would have to restart over and over until I find a very good seed we don't want people to need to be lucky just to be able to play.

solution: don't build there

I routinely travel 2K, 3K + on SMP servers to get away from the clusterfuck @ spawn.

Fruit trees should require metal axes to harvest limbs, wheat should take far longer to grow a crop, planted fruit trees should take longer to reach maturity, there should be stiffer biome requirements on fruit trees- it's not enough that they only grow when the temperature is right, they should die if the temperature is wrong enough.

Hmm, I like the idea, as in my multiplayer server, i am the designated farmer, and I sometimes find my orchards and livestock to be obsolete, as we have a huge wheat farm. However, I do think this kind of feature could stir a lot of trouble, so perhaps it could be toggle-able? If it is implemented, it should just be grouped into three categories.

Meat

Fruit-Veggies

Grain

For this to work however, there has to be a large amount of diversity. Such as wild grain to eat before a wheat farm is fully made, some wild fruits and vegetables, and a self renewing wildlife of meat.

Back in the olden days, peasants often couldn't afford to ever eat fruit in their lives, and they lived. They weren't too healthy, but they lived. So, lack of grain should have a worse effect than lack of meat and meat should have a worse effect than lack of Fruit.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0