Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Buzhwaz

Balanced Diet

72 posts in this topic

another variation. way simpler.

keep the food groups idea, but scratch the food groups meter and the debuff stuff. keep the vanilla food meter.

but...any food group that's eaten will not have any more effect for x number of hours.

for example:

if you eat a piece of meat, it will fill up a few bars of your food meter, but eating another one won't have any additional nutritional effect. you have to wait twelve hours game time for it to work again. however, for veggies, you only have to wait eight hours. for fruits, six hours. for dairy, four hours. and for grains, two hours. a recipe (like stew or cake) can be eaten any time you want, regardless of it's connections to the food groups.

if you keep a variety of food, you'll be able to easily fill your food meter any time you want. if not, you'll have to huddle in fear until you can eat again.

another variation. way simpler.

keep the food groups idea, but scratch the food groups meter and the debuff stuff. keep the vanilla food meter.

but...any food group that's eaten will not have any more effect for x number of hours.

for example:

if you eat a piece of meat, it will fill up a few bars of your food meter, but eating another one won't have any additional nutritional effect. you have to wait twelve hours game time for it to work again. however, for veggies, you only have to wait eight hours. for fruits, six hours. for dairy, four hours. and for grains, two hours. a recipe (like stew or cake) can be eaten any time you want, regardless of it's connections to the food groups.

if you keep a variety of food, you'll be able to easily fill your food meter any time you want. if not, you'll have to huddle in fear until you can eat again.

if you put in a hierarchy and timers, most likely people will just Mass-farm one or two with the shortest timers and ignore the rest entirely.

Maybe. But you'd still have to have a variety of food if you wanted to fill up your food bar to max right away. Otherwise you'd have to drink some milk....wait two hours....drink some milk...wait two hours....drink some milk....etc. So, yeah, you could hoard milk, but it really wouldnt be the most efficient use of your time. Best to just have a variety of food.

just a little question, you're talking about real life hours, or minecraft hours?

just a little question, you're talking about real life hours, or minecraft hours?

Whatever works for balance. But i was talking about game hours, not real.

I think Eternals idea with buffs is the best way to balance it, and evening and balancing those buffs will help make people search out a variety of foods.

evening and balancing those buffs will help make people search out a variety of foods.

i agree...balance is very important when it comes to the food mechanic. but i'm torn over whether more complexity or more simplicity is better. it might be easier to balance something simple, but complexity is a little of what this mod is about. however, with more complexity comes more opportunities for unbalance...or just confusing gameplay. at any rate, food should be a highly intuitive mechanic, complex or not. i mean, it's food for pete's sake. and i have feeling ancient man just ate it without much concern for its nutritional value.

anyway, one thing's for sure, though...nearly anything is better than the vanilla system.

food might go bad in the future.

Explains reason for varied diet? Certain foods go bad faster or slower, but have different healing effects?

food doesnt heal (except for golden apples), steve naturally recovers health when he is well nourished.

oh PLEASE do this, and add preservation mechanisms like smoking or salting :D (I know there is a thread toward this, but I felt it necessary to beg)

Explains reason for varied diet? Certain foods go bad faster or slower, but have different healing effects?

If I remember correctly, Bioxx mentioned something about nutrition to me earlier. To explain this properly, I have to let you into the world of the [far] future of TFC, so let's begin.

Imagine a world where biome isn't random as it is now. Where there aren't deserts that meet jungles and tundra next to temperate forest. The future of TFC finds itself on a new world, a globe about the size of our moon. The current terrain generator builds land with a noise generator then using a random generator based on seed to determine which biomes go in specific places, and altering the top layers of stone into the appropriate dirt (in vanilla at least, TFC is a bit more complicated, but you get the idea). This new generator would start with continents. It would build mountains and hills and valleys and plains. Assuming that coastal areas would get average precipitation and that precipitation can be affected by moderately sized bodies of water, a moisture level would be determined by chunk for the world (currently, each biome has a temperature and moisture level, which determines which biome it is). In this new TFC, moisture will be relatively high near the ocean, but also would take into account factors such as prevailing winds which would blow moist air and then low pressure systems which would cause precipitation. (Don't expect this to be some huge, lag shitstorm in-game, it will only be calculated at world gen) Mountains will cause rain shadow. Because globes have latitudes, we can obviously combine this with the moisture system to generate biomes that flow and break apart completely realistically. Instead of defining where biomes are in code, they form based on the climate of the area. The soil layer (either sand, dirt, peat etc) will form based on temperature (although soil might also take into account the rock types). The flora and fauna that inhabit an area are dependant on the temperature and climate of that area.

Originally, we considered using a much smaller globe, but if you think about it, anything that allows the players to easily traverse from biome to biome results in a very small world and causes severe climate change over a small distance. (essentially, you'd be able to tell if you were walking north-south by the climate change, which we don't want) What this means though, is that where ever you spawn is probably where you will stay. You won't get a choice in the matter (although in the future, you might have an option to select a range you want to spawn in, probably down to a 10 degree latitude difference). This means that you obviously won't have access to the same trees and animals that others will, but we plan to give you your own way to survive. If you spawn up north, you'll find that you'll need to eat more proteins and a higher calorie diet. You'll need to make clothes and a well insulated shelter. Farming won't be a huge option to you as it will be cold for a large part of the year. The people up north would have more access to large animals such as bears and deer, providing ample fur and meat to sustain themselves. Further south, you might find yourself in a more tropical climate, where heavy fur or wool clothes are not only unnecessary, but cumbersome, and hot. You might prefer to manufacture light clothes from cotton, which would shade you from the sun, but fit loosely. You would probably farm more and have more bread, but would probably have a more limited access to large animals to hunt.

TFC certainly adds more to minecraft to do and explore, but we want to take it a step further. Some mods add a slew of new and interesting features, but the one thing I was always disappointed about was how it was handled. A lot of other mods just throw it in your face, overwhelming you and forming clutter. What we plan to do is partition the new features so that depending where you start in the world, you have access to and can master totally different materials and tools. Two people, one who starts in the tropics and one up north can master their world and build great cities, but they will achieve this in an entirely different way. We feel this adds a realism and replay-ability to the game which just adds that much more.

(so you see why some things need to change. Diet can't buff you or harm you, so to speak, but how you move and function might affect your dietary needs in a different way)

PS. I'm not entirely sure if I should have told you all this. If you take this as a guarantee for future additions, you might end up being sorely mistaken. We haven't tried to implement this yet and we're not sure it will even work.

-snip-

O.o .. There are no words ......

-snipysnip-

Does this mean we'll get midnight suns in the great white north?

Dunk, i love you Dev's, in a totally homo way.

Climate Snips

So all those amazing possible features rely on java and your programming skills being able to create a custom climate system for the moon?

Snip

All of my want... dunk if you achieve this, you will have advanced the area of land generation beyond any other... Please, please do this :D

So all those amazing possible features rely on java and your programming skills being able to create a custom climate system for the moon?

lolwut? No, we CAN do it, we just don't know how it will affect performance. (and it's the SIZE of the moon... not the moon itself...)

lolwut? No, we CAN do it, we just don't know how it will affect performance. (and it's the SIZE of the moon... not the moon itself...)

Hmm... Anyway to minimize layers? or can you create a pre-loaded set out for heat distribution that dictates generation instead of vice verse?

-snip-

PS. I'm not entirely sure if I should have told you all this. If you take this as a guarantee for future additions, you might end up being sorely mistaken. We haven't tried to implement this yet and we're not sure it will even work.

If you can pull this off, it'll be a pretty amazing game. Best of luck :)

Juicy Snip

So your talking about logical formation of landmasses based on tectonic plates?

So your talking about logical formation of landmasses based on tectonic plates?

More like logical distribution of biomes based on ambient temperatures with semi-random elevation and bodies of water, as I understand it.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0