Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rbdyck

Alloys: early/middle bronze, mithril, steel

86 posts in this topic

I think everyone is dismissing the idea of mithril being arsenic bronze, it's actually a really cool freakin idea. It's one of those things where I was like "no way! That's really cool!".

Also, eternals idea for iridium being the Highest tier metal is really cool. Red/blue steel is nice game valence wise, but it's not particularly BELIVIBLE. However it should still be in normal sized groupings.

Man you guys are getting off topic...

I find that Titanium would be good to implement, it's really strong but more importantly: it's versatile as bloody hell (literally) and is used in an insane number of alloys. It has a high melting point and is very light and a decent amount stronger than regular steel.

Now, for some metals that probably shouldn't be implemented but is fun to know about anyway:

Chromium: Apparently the hardest pure metal. It's in the paint of yellow school buses and is in stainless steel. Pure chromium is 8.5 on the Moh's hardness scale effectively making it 5-6 times as hard as tin (tin is 1.5) and twice the hardness of steel (steel is 4, not as high as people expect).

Cobalt:Slightly stronger than steel, commonly used in superalloys (actually almost completely used for superalloys). It is also present in lithium which is extremely good and conduction electricity and is mainly used to make batteries (probably not good for TFC).

You don't know how the Mohs scale works, do you? It is non-linear. You can't say it is 5-6 times harder when actually it may be 500 times harder, also hardness isn't equal to maleability, so steel is very ductile although not very hard. By the way just to clear it out 1 on the Mohs scale means you can scratch with your fingernail and 10 only diamond can scratch it.

And you should read about Stellite.

You don't know how the Mohs scale works, do you? It is non-linear. You can't say it is 5-6 times harder when actually it may be 500 times harder, also hardness isn't equal to maleability, so steel is very ductile although not very hard. By the way just to clear it out 1 on the Mohs scale means you can scratch with your fingernail and 10 only diamond can scratch it.

And you should read about Stellite.

10 doesn't mean diamond can scratch it, and 1 doesn't mean scratch with fingernail. Fingernail hardnesses can very based on diet and nutrition, so usually rocks with a known hardness are used, such as talc. Further, diamond's hardness IS 10, so anything else with a hardness of 10 would scratch and be scratched by diamond at an equal rate.

10 doesn't mean diamond can scratch it, and 1 doesn't mean scratch with fingernail. Fingernail hardnesses can very based on diet and nutrition, so usually rocks with a known hardness are used, such as talc. Further, diamond's hardness IS 10, so anything else with a hardness of 10 would scratch and be scratched by diamond at an equal rate.

Yes it does mean it, unless you have a very bad fingernail, but it is how normally a geologist test the rock hardness to see if it has talc on the rock. http://www.ebc-indev...e_hardness.html

Anything less than 2 is scratched by fingernail, 1 is talc.

Also http://www.rocksandminerals.com/hardness/mohs.htm

So, so much guys wanted gases implemented in-game. First, smoke from fire related objects, and now poisonous gas from smelting some things. And to all of them, the response seems to be the same: no, because it's very hard to code, and gives too little back to the gameplay aspect.

Since no one would take my ideas seriously, I implemented them myself. I have the first mod ready. It isn't nearly as extensive as TerraFirmaCraft. My intention with Mithril is to fill the gap between iron and diamond, and do so with something that's fun and exists in reality. But most importantly I want to respond to the claim "it's very hard to code". My first mod already has gas. So to quote Sheldon Cooper from the show "Big Bang Theory": Neener neener! Or to quote my friend's young children: "Nana nana boo boo!" :P

http://www.minecraft...0-rbdycks-mods/

Check my forum. More mods to come.

Congratulations, rbdyck :) it's a pretty nice mod.

Very well done! Proving upwards flowing fluids do work is a nice step in minecraft modding.

Now what would happen if your chimney got sealed?

Now what would happen if your chimney got sealed?

Nothing.The gas doesn't back up. The rule is when the furnace starts smelting, if the block immediately above it is air, then the block is replaced by flowing gas. Then fluid flow expands from there. If the chimney is blocked, then gas just doesn't expand further.

If the gas meets a large flat ceiling, will it only spread out eight blocks horizontally? Or will it cover the entire surface until it reaches either an open air block and continues upwards, or it reaches walls and then just stops?

I copied the code for water flow, just reversed the sign so it flows up instead of down. That means it will only flow 8 blocks horizontally.

That's what I thought. Still cool.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0