Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Just_Another_Guy_:)

Temperature medition

Celcius or Farenheit?   35 members have voted

1. 1. which one you would prefer to be used in TFC?

• Celcius
    • Farenheit
    • I don't f**king care
    • Another (describe in your answer to this post)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

26 posts in this topic

It's just a little thing i saw in the shoutbox, and i think it's worth a post and a poll.

Also, just a little question to the devs team: why you choosed farenheit for showing temperatures? ._.

This poll, and any result it could give, isn't intended to directly modify the mod. However, if a great portion of the forums express wishes to change to a celcius medition system, it's likely to make the change happen :D

Likely. I'm not assuring anything. Just vote and don't make questions ._.(?)

Kelvin!!! :P

Who doesn't enjoy nice 290 K weather.

But on a serious note, what do you mean?

Also, just a little question to the devs team: why you choosed farenheit for showing temperatures? ._.

Didn't they use Celsius?

Posted Image

I'm use to fahrenheit myself, so I wouldn't complain about them adding a config option to toggle between, but really it doesn't matter to me. I voted celsius just so it stays as is. About time US players start getting use to metric outside of science class and car repairs.

I think this poll is not even necessary. Celcius and period

But on a serious note, what do you mean?

Didn't they use Celsius?

Posted Image

._. I thinked they didn't... on one of my old worlds, i appeared to be at -45,53F, and i thinked it was the system the mod uses for this.

I think this poll is not even necessary. Celcius and period

La intención es lo que cuenta, no? :3

Celcius, but if possible an option to switch to Fahrenheit or Kelvin would be fine I spose.

i'd prefer keeping it at celcius.

but an option to change to Kelvin would be cool as well ^^ it'd make me feel like having chemistry class again xP (sorry can't work with fahrenheit but if a toggle to change to Kelvin get's implemented i'm pretty sure they'd add fahrenheit as well ^^)

Its already celcius, don't see why this poll is necicary. However I wouldn't say no to a config toggle between the 2. As far as kelvin, no point at all in useing it at all.

kelvin would be acceptable, but it would only accomplish adding a constant to the same scale.

Kelvin wouldn't be acceptable, there's no reason at all for kelvin to be considered other than so a bunch of science nerds can geek out on themselves knowing how to read kelvin.

A side note, none of the current temperature scales were actually invented before 1600, but that would leave us with some crazy inaccurate word referenced scale. Fahrenheit being the first scale at 1724, Celsius at 1742, and Kelvin WAY later at like 1848 or so.

If anything other than Celsius is is brought into play id like to see it multi read rather than a toggle, for instance 0C/32F.

I am used to farenheit but I need to learn celcius a bit better. I live in the US and use the metric system, so I'd keep it celcius lol.

Kelvin wouldn't be acceptable, there's no reason at all for kelvin to be considered other than so a bunch of science nerds can geek out on themselves knowing how to read kelvin.

A side note, none of the current temperature scales were actually invented before 1600, but that would leave us with some crazy inaccurate word referenced scale. Fahrenheit being the first scale at 1724, Celsius at 1742, and Kelvin WAY later at like 1848 or so.

If anything other than Celsius is is brought into play id like to see it multi read rather than a toggle, for instance 0C/32F.

why wouldn't it be acceptable? you really are thinking too narrow-minded about this.

about the dates: the date at which they were invented doesn't matter at all, after all the player should be able to understand it, we don't need to use some prehistoric caveman names for the temperature, that would just make it weird and harder to understand.

OK, as for using Kelvin: using kelvin could pave the way for other updates later in the mod for IDK when some kind of science stuff is implemented or something?

after all, Kelvin is the only scale with a 'real zero' (sorry, hard to explain it in english xP), 0° kelvin would mean that everything is frozen in place (up to molecular level). this could make it easier to understand some of the more advanced things, since kelvin uses the exact same scale as Celsius, but just utilizes a real zero instead of a 'fake one' thus making it not too hard to understand.

oh and to render your 'science nerd'-argument completely invalid, 0°C = 273°K and 1°C=274°K frankly said, if you still don't know how Kelvin works... then you really don't belong among regular peeps, i'm thinking more along the lines of an institute for the retarded. ( i mean no offense by this,I'm just saying that your argument isn't very good, and Kelvin isn't hard to understand.)

I'm not trying to get Kelvin as the 'official' TFC temperature scale, tbh as long as i can understand the temp, i don't care (celcius being a perfect scale for me) i'm just saying that you shouldn't 'attack' Kelvin like that, it isn't that hard to understand the scale and it does in fact ,whether you can see them or not, have it's benefits.

lastly: IMO fahrenheit is pretty lame, using a combination of water ice and amonium chloride as 0°? how lame is that, it renders the 0° almost completely useless in everyday life... also: the idea to make the scale for temperatures and the metric system universal was actually a really good idea, making it so everyone can understand all forms of measurement (speed,height,length,temperature) in every country across the world. the way i see it there's only 1 major country that's too damn stubborn to change his measurement systems... and that's... the USA. I mean, take fahrenheit, there are only like 2-3 countries that still use it as their official way of measuring temperature, the USA being the biggest and most influential of them all. (sorry just felt like ranting a bit about fahrenheit in the same way Jasnatdic ranted about Kelvin--> meaningless arguments :3 )

P.S OK, it's true that the USA is too stubborn to change their measurement systems (and too stupid to see the benefits of changing them? ) but TBH i couldn't care less. as long as everyone is able to understand the scale his/her country uses, so for TFC a toggle or just showing all implemented variants at once could be a good idea.

I believe that a config option to use F instead of C is something that should definitely be added. It seems like a relatively simple feature, and one that will make Americans feel more at home in their little world. Most of us look at a temperature in C and have no idea what we're looking at, so if it's unusually cool or hot, we likely won't even notice. It would improve immersion to readily know what the numbers mean, and I have a suspicion that Bioxx generally views immersion as a good thing.

if you still don't know how Kelvin works... then you really don't belong among regular peeps, i'm thinking more along the lines of an institute for the retarded.

Wow. What a startling statement. You have just called a very large portion of humanity retarded and irregular. Kelvin is not something that most people use, much less understand. Perhaps you intended to say it's something "most peeps" could understand if sufficiently explained to them, but that's not what you wrote.

Wow. What a startling statement. You have just called a very large portion of humanity retarded and irregular. Kelvin is not something that most people use, much less understand. Perhaps you intended to say it's something "most peeps" could understand if sufficiently explained to them, but that's not what you wrote.

firstly, tbh a large part of humanity is in fact retarded xP i can find enough examples to aid my statement ^^

anyways you kinda forgot the most important part: '0°C = 273°K and 1°C=274°K'

i never said that everyone should fully understand kelvin or be at ease while using it, but every single being that understands celcius must be able to grasp what Kelvin is... Kelvin is just Tcelcius+273 it's as easy as that, add 273 to your degrees in celcius and voila, there you have it... the equivalent in Kelvin...

it isn't that hard, is it? i never said that everyone that doesn't understand Kelvin is retarded, what i said was 'if you still don't know how Kelvin works' what i meant by that is, that if you still can't compare celsius to Kelvin after the example i gave (0°C = 273°K and 1°C=274°K) which is really not that hard to understand at all, then you belong in an institute. i mean... it's 30°C outside... which means: it's (30+273)°K outside.

and if you mean that a large part of humanity doesn't understand Celcius and thus find it hard to understand kelvin... well... the only big country that uses fahrenheit as their official measurement scale for temperature is america, almost the whole world uses celcius. (and if you cant even do things like '28+273' then sorry... but you do in fact have a problem, oh and i'm not talking about 5Y olds .... )

oh and TBH i warned you that it'd sound a bit aggressive. ('frankly said' ) I know that i sound pretty aggressive in most of my posts in which i argument on things, but firstly: i don't mean it like that, secondly it's the internet... just be glad that i'm not one of those assholes that purposely responds like that just to get you angry.

and if you mean that a large part of humanity doesn't understand Celcius and thus find it hard to understand kelvin... well... the only big country that uses fahrenheit as their official measurement scale for temperature is america, almost the whole world uses celcius.

Their official measurement scale for tempeture is america, almost the whole

Scale for temperature is america, almost the

America

U.n.i.t.e.d. s.t.a.t.e.s. o.f. A.m.e.r.i.c.a. Or simply USA.

Don't wanna bother too much about this, but it's REALLY annoying to me that USA it's usually called America instead, as if that country was the entire continent -_ - Where i am, if not in America, then? in the Antartic?

I didn't say that I don't understand kelvin, I said that the only reason for kelvin in TFC is so a few people can geek out that they are useing it. I also didn't say we shouldn't use any of the 3 recognized temperature scales in TFC, I pointed out that from a period appropriate view that the mod is following that none of them exsisted before the cut off on the mod.

What I did say is that celsius is already in use and is more than acceptable, or that for simplicity and not haveing to mess with configs that it could read as such. 0C / 32 F

I don't see why you people should be arguing about what you think is better. It's highly inappropriate for the opinions of which is liked more or less. Stop fighting.

I chose C because its the system in which the entirely metallurgy process is based upon. I'm from the US so I am more comfortable using F myself, but I see the ridiculousness of it in comparison to C. Anyways I'll think about adding a toggle for F or something. As far as Kelvin... no, you can do the conversion yourself.

celcius and kelvin are the most commonly used ones in science, as they are part of, or at least have the same size units as, the metric system, which minecraft already uses (metres)

if you still don't know how Kelvin works... then you really don't belong among regular peeps, i'm thinking more along the lines of an institute for the retarded.

firstly, tbh a large part of humanity is in fact retarded xP i can find enough examples to aid my statement ^^

While I don't necessarily disagree, the irony of your statements vs. your capitalization makes me alternately twitch and inwardly chuckle.

why is this thread still open? i think enough has been discussed, and is going down a downwards spiral.