Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scooterdanny

Magnetite for Compasses

15 posts in this topic

Searching through the forums, i am quite surprised to see that this has not been mentioned. I suggest that we can use magnetite (aka Lodestone) for compasses, as they were used as such in real life, and makes much more sense than using redstone and iron. in fact there were musings on this possibility in china in the 4th century BC

Perhaps

/G/

TMT

TTT

Glass, Tin(or other metal). Magnetite.

was suggested, by me, in different thread. Idk which

:P Feel free to use the search bar, nothing comes up for compass, nor magnetite. But i trust you.

I suggested this to bioxx a looooong time ago. Magnetite compasses could only point north though.

Of course, which i know can be done by looking at the sun/clouds, but one is not always indoors, the old minecraft compass pointing towards spawn was silly, however, one could easily add different "legs" to the compass that could mark any way wanted, this is all semantics, but i feel a traditional compass would help people navigating in caves/ravines.

Of course, which i know can be done by looking at the sun/clouds, but one is not always indoors, the old minecraft compass pointing towards spawn was silly, however, one could easily add different "legs" to the compass that could mark any way wanted, this is all semantics, but i feel a traditional compass would help people navigating in caves/ravines.

and of course, either way, you need a compass to make a map.

Just out of curiosity, are maps returning in any form that they were in vanilla?

Just out of curiosity, are maps returning in any form that they were in vanilla?

we'd like them to, but with some changes, to make them better. Probably allow them to be placed, and make them more user friendly.

we'd like them to, but with some changes, to make them better. Probably allow them to be placed, and make them more user friendly.

And not require a compass to craft (Maybe to use instead?*)

*As in, you can't see where you are on the map, or map a new area, without a compass. Placed Maps would only show the positions of players who had compasses

Could you maybe add that they have to be kind of "written"?

So you have to carry a new map together with some marking and a feather, the marking gets used up when you travel throught new terrain and the map gets painted.

I just never liked this running-around-and-the-map-appears thing and it would be more realistic.

And not require a compass to craft (Maybe to use instead?*)

You could require it for crafting alongside ink and a feather. Just toss the compass back in the players inventory when it's done.

I actually don't think we should be able to see ourselves on the map. Look at the rest of this game. It all focuses on meta skill. Why should orienteering be any different ? We should be able to mark the map so we can remember landmarks and have to find our own way in the world, with the map as an aid.

I actually don't think we should be able to see ourselves on the map. Look at the rest of this game. It all focuses on meta skill. Why should orienteering be any different ? We should be able to mark the map so we can remember landmarks and have to find our own way in the world, with the map as an aid.

I think the reason for the marker is the pixelated nature of the map.

IRL, you can look at a map and see a funny shaped rock drawn in, see the same rock next to you, and be like 'oh here I am'

In minecraft (and consequently TFC), a whole 8x8 area shows up as a single pixel. The level of detail available to us removes the possibility of finding our bearings without the absolute largest of landmarks, and thereby necessitates a marker.

If maps were changed to a 1:1 block to pixel ratio, then perhaps (after some playtesting with both methods) the marker could be removed

I think the reason for the marker is the pixelated nature of the map.

IRL, you can look at a map and see a funny shaped rock drawn in, see the same rock next to you, and be like 'oh here I am'

In minecraft (and consequently TFC), a whole 8x8 area shows up as a single pixel. The level of detail available to us removes the possibility of finding our bearings without the absolute largest of landmarks, and thereby necessitates a marker.

If maps were changed to a 1:1 block to pixel ratio, then perhaps (after some playtesting with both methods) the marker could be removed

Requesting 1:1 auto-scrolling 1024x1024 maps and the ability to stamp them with pre-made icons (ie: a workbench, a medical cross, or a book). Auto-scrolling only because you can't fit a map of that resolution in the game without either shrinking it, or making it scroll. Fold-able pages would be proffered.

Now, here's an idea, we remove markers, and there would be progressively better materials for use in mapmaking, ie better ink, quills, and parchment. and each would affect the quality of the map. so really crappy squid ink with a chicken feather on (essentially) flax would be a grayscale badly detailed image, whereas a nice quality feather (random drop from chicken?) would affect the detail, the ink would control the color scale, and the parchment would affect the overlay of the map, IE vellum texture overlaying a map as opposed to paper grain.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0