Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Bioxx

Kingdoms Brainstorming

899 posts in this topic

I support the idea of making a system whereby there can be authority and jails to be used by it. Jailing may suck, but it's better than a ban, and if it's a serious griefing incident, who really cares for their fate? That allows for a system where artificial container restrictions are not needed. Of course, we could also have locks and keys and such (I'd love to have skills like lockpicking, but I digress.)

Well, stone is unbreakable by hand so, ya know, just toss em in there, and they shouldnt be able to leave, oh wait, we cannot make metal/stone doors, hmm...

Well, stone is unbreakable by hand so, ya know, just toss em in there, and they shouldnt be able to leave, oh wait, we cannot make metal/stone doors, hmm...

Is it ? I thought with enough determination you could break most stone blocks (in game of course).

You could make a horrible "pit" style prison where you wipe everyones inventory and then put them at the bottom of a pit in the middle of the town .. You could even make them fight to the death for their freedom .. And then not give them it when one wins :D:P

You can break stone with your hands. It takes two seconds less than forever. You don't get any cobble for doing so.

well, my mistake, i always thought it was indestructible.

-snip-

i think the wars and war declarations idea is cool too, but at the same time i caution against making it too easy to declare war on other towns, that's precisely the reason eve online has a ingame currency cost attached to declaring war on another player run corporation so that the big ones can't just declare war on every non-npc group they notice exists as a means of griefing, maybe you should be required to craft and sacrifice a few weapons or maybe even a piece of armor and a weapon if it's desired to make wars really a thing to not declare lightly. hell maybe the quality/durability of the stuff you pay to declare a war could modify the length that the declaration is valid for.

Ehh... this isn't an mmo, wars should be able to be declared at the drop of a hat, but the other kingdoms might become wary, or even join the fight on the other side to get someone while they are occupied.

-snip-

I agree wholeheartedly on that it needs to be harder/more demanding to inflict damage on player-constructed things, but I don't agree on introducing a Guard NPC. I'm more inclined to the Guard Dog idea.

That said, introducing a 'new' sort of NPC doesn't alleviate the problem of things being to easy to grief or destroy. I think settlements should take longer to destroy. In real life, if you want to destroy a house, you can set it on fire (assuming it isn't make of rock). You can't really break large chunks of it without some sort of explosive or siege equipment. You can have at it with something hard but it won't make much impact unless you stand there for a long time (try breaking a wooden house with just one axe). I want to emulate this difficulty (as well as the danger when it comes to fire and explosives).

One simple way to emulate the difficulty of destroying things is by the system used in Civcraft which requires you to 'break' something multiple times until it actually breaks, although perhaps balancing it a bit and not making it directly "reinforcable" (although it currently seems to be the most practical option).

Fires should spontaneously spawn further away from a bigger fire, so the safety distance is increased (and people standing too close are in danger of getting burnt)

Breaking stone (ceilings, halls and walls) can be dangerous already because of cave-ins.

The biggest problem right now is that things are too easy to break. Although it should be (for the owner) it still shouldn't be (for griefers). Dilemma.

The civcraft idea was already suggested a few pages back, fire should not be made more dangerous, burning down a whole city would be too easy. cave in's don't happen with artificial stone, like smooth, or bricks.

i think the wars and war declarations idea is cool too, but at the same time i caution against making it too easy to declare war on other towns, that's precisely the reason eve online has a ingame currency cost attached to declaring war on another player run corporation so that the big ones can't just declare war on every non-npc group they notice exists as a means of griefing, maybe you should be required to craft and sacrifice a few weapons or maybe even a piece of armor and a weapon if it's desired to make wars really a thing to not declare lightly. hell maybe the quality/durability of the stuff you pay to declare a war could modify the length that the declaration is valid for.

Firstly, this:

Ehh... this isn't an mmo, wars should be able to be declared at the drop of a hat, but the other kingdoms might become wary, or even join the fight on the other side to get someone while they are occupied.

What danny said is true. Think of it this way. If there is one big town that has lets say a full 1/3 of the servers pop (this would be actively discouraged, at least on my server :P) then that town goes to war with everyone. In retaliation the other 2/3 of players on the server band together in a temporary alliance. The aggresive town is facing enemies on all fronts, and perhaps the town that used to supply their iron/food/whatever isn't doing it anymore. The town will lose.

The comparison to Eve is flawed because in Eve you can get whole fleets of ships, whereas in TFC you will only ever be one man, so no matter how big and powerful you are, numbers are still an advantage, which means tactful diplomacy :P

Pardon Jed, do you actually have a server? or is this hypothetics? Also, lol being called danny... (just a random name i use for usernames)

Pardon Jed, do you actually have a server? or is this hypothetics? Also, lol being called danny... (just a random name i use for usernames)

I prefer to call you scoot :3

Not sure how old you are so I don't wanna imply that you're a blankflank or anything...

Scoot just seems fitting, lol

The comparison to Eve is flawed because in Eve you can get whole fleets of ships, whereas in TFC you will only ever be one man

Actually the comparison to EVE is flawed because TFC is actually fun.

Scoot is fine, and lol, i'm 18, i did much crusading for my flank's decoration thank you! and well stated, eve was rather dull.

The civcraft idea was already suggested a few pages back, fire should not be made more dangerous, burning down a whole city would be too easy. cave in's don't happen with artificial stone, like smooth, or bricks.

I know it has already been mentioned, I was just applying it to the context.

Why shouldn't fire be made more dangerous? It used to be very hazardous - now it might slice of a part of your house. Besides, it doesn't need to be made that hazardous again, just make it's dispersion larger (or add like fireballs flying from a large enough fire).

Cave-ins happens to smooth stone though, doesn't it? Or do you mean the stones made with the chisel? I remember "smooth stone" not being exactly the same like in vanilla, but yeah, that can be made to cave in by removing the pillars/supports (if it's used as a building material).

Anyway, most people might not use that kind of stone so cave-ins as an anti-griefer tool might not be relevant.

I'm liking the ideas popping up. So far, every topic I have been in that is getting new ideas haven't seemed to hang on the new ideas until people start to sound pissed over my short absence. Damn, I must be missed. :)

I had 97 notifications, so far all pretty good.

Because it would be the almighty griefing tool, that's why. All you need to do, is sneak into a city, start a fire, boom 2 minutes later, entire city is gone. There is just too much potential for it.

Also, by smoothstone, i mean SmoothedStone. So, yeah cave in's will not happen in artifical stone, unless they quarried around it, which is entirely too much work lol.

Any formal, hard-coded system for declaring/initiating war between two parties should not be implemented. War should be purely a social construct. There is no need to add a mechanic for something that can be accomplished simply by player consensus.

then what's to stop people just joining every server they can find, declaring war on every single town, using NEI to give themselves full top tier armor and weapons and essentially having the enjoyment of every other player on the server under their thumb until they get bored with it?

not really much of a good point you tried to make there, sure it's not an MMO and i'm not saying it is, but i'm sure people will still want to ruin other people's fun, even if on a much smaller scale than usual and giving them such an extremely easy and at the drop of a hat way to do so is just recipe for disaster, hell encouraging it arguably.

What's to stop them, is needing to have an established town, Using NEI to spawn items requires OP. So really i don't understand what the problem is.

What's to stop them, is needing to have an established town, Using NEI to spawn items requires OP. So really i don't understand what the problem is.

Please explain exactly what the point of this "War" mechanic would be, and why it is necessary? It seems to me that it's an unneeded addition.

War could allow for block breakage if not already enabled on a server, and would allow the leaders of factions to officially state their relations. also to allow for unified attacks, rather than just rag tag groups of 4 guys fighting, instead 20-40 men all in one glorious battle.

It seems like (seeing as the same handful of suggestions have been said multiple times) that we need to wait a good bit of pre-releases before diving into anything remotely new. This was a discussion for stuff still very far down the line and so we could use a few releases to take a breather. Maybe even until Beta 2 XD.

I agree with Antimatter.

I agree with Antimatter.

then like his post or something. I just read it and closed the window to find that the thread already had a new post.

War could allow for block breakage if not already enabled on a server

If block breakage is disabled, it's disabled for a reason. Because the admin doesn't want people breaking the blocks to begin with. Therefore, there is no reason to add a function that will do absolutely nothing to begin with.

, and would allow the leaders of factions to officially state their relations.

I don't see how this is necessary. It adds needless complication onto something that doesn't need it. It's far easier and simpler to simply have the players themselves decide what the relations are. "Hey, Bob, are we trading with Larrytown?" "No, Steve, Larrytown is full of assholes."

also to allow for unified attacks, rather than just rag tag groups of 4 guys fighting, instead 20-40 men all in one glorious battle.

Once again, you don't need some complicated mechanic for this. Having this mechanic won't magically make people cooperate. They have to do that on their own. Therefore, the mechanic is still unnecessary. If people want to fight a "glorious battle" they will fight a "glorious battle". This "war" mechanic can't make them do that.