Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Bioxx

Kingdoms Brainstorming

899 posts in this topic

Okay...

Regional protection set by voting to have individual chunks protected. If nobody from the "owners" of the chunk's team is online, nobody can enter the chunks. enemies of the defending team can't have more people inside the defender's area than there are defender's.

i.e. 5 defenders online inside the defendable area, only 5 attackers are allowed to enter.

Completely unrealistic and completely impractical because it just lets the defenders make an area in the middle of their town that everyone can hide in during attack, and nobody can enter and attack them.

I agree with Wolf though feel free to attack each other over nothing, it makes our lives more interesting.

But I'm not attacking anyone.

Not what I meant I apologize, I meant I agree with you that it will interesting to watch them duke it out. My apologies. I was attempting to agree with you.

Not what I meant I apologize, I meant I agree with you that it will interesting to watch them duke it out. My apologies. I was attempting to agree with you.

Then, yes, ok don't worry. Sometimes I misunderstand the other posts. I have nothing against it if you agree with me. I didn't understand correctly your post.

Okay...

Regional protection set by voting to have individual chunks protected. If nobody from the "owners" of the chunk's team is online, nobody can enter the chunks. enemies of the defending team can't have more people inside the defender's area than there are defender's.

i.e. 5 defenders online inside the defendable area, only 5 attackers are allowed to enter.

Completely unrealistic and completely impractical because it just lets the defenders make an area in the middle of their town that everyone can hide in during attack, and nobody can enter and attack them.

I forgot to add, "that actually solves the problem." x]

Why are there no dislike buttons! T^T

Why are there no dislike buttons! T^T

JAG said to me that there's a way to give -1 but he didn't say howwwwwwww!!!

Hey JAG, if you're reading this, can you say how?

This thread needs to be turned into a subforum. Otherwise, this topic will not move from where it is currently and thoughts of an effective system become impossible to follow.

Going back to my flags suggestion... What if we had a more complex system, which may be busywork or just plain boring. First off, you have individuals, flags that protect your stuff and blocks, making it a bit harder to get into/destroy. This may make a need for, get ready, lock picking That way the need and want to be a bandit is there. Next, there should be Family flags. I think that families would fit into the TFC time-zone pretty well. A family would be described as a group of players to small to be a town, but larger than two. After that, you could have township flags, which operate differently. Instead of any stranger being debuffed while in you flag's area, the town can designate trust levels. This may affect breaking speed, ability to open chests, and the price of goods. As a side note, I think that trading should have a shared interface between players. Trading should also be affected by how you establish your colony/ kingdom's government. To build off that, Finally you should have Kingdom flags that have that trust system, but instead of individuals it should be faction wide. Trade is majorly impacted by these flags, causing prices and goods to be different based on faction relations, affecting faction's merchants, and maybe incite some war. Finally, there should be mobile flags about the same size of the Individual flag, but affect's a whole faction, for those on the go merchants and gypsy's. Another thing I see as a problem is overuse of a flag or the creation of another faction's flag. Each "citizen" of your faction should have papers that allow them to craft the flag, and lose durability in the crafting bench. The papers should come from multiple families creating a shared emblem specific to them, and them only.

I leave size of flag effect, the debuffs, and crafting recipes up to you guys, but keep this in mind:

Individual Flag- Cheapest, Smallest

Faction Mini Flag- Cheaper, Smaller

Family Flag- Cheap, Small

Town Flag- Expensive, Bigger

Kingdom Flag- Most expensive, Biggest

Also come up with a way to make the emblem unique and endless possible combination's, because I can see where it can cause some restriction of the number of factions.

I love the idea of giving a clan crest an ingame purpose, really I'd like to have this mechanic, whatever it is consistent in the game world, so flags having an unexplainable ability to prevent damage alone would need some work.

JAG said to me that there's a way to give -1 but he didn't say howwwwwwww!!!

Hey JAG, if you're reading this, can you say how?

WTF? The only time i mentioned -1s was when i complained about my disability to give them... i don't remember ever saying you could give -1s :

useless post in response to an equally useless post, whoooooa!

^Lol.

I love the idea of giving a clan crest an ingame purpose, really I'd like to have this mechanic, whatever it is consistent in the game world, so flags having an unexplainable ability to prevent damage alone would need some work.

Also, while I want TFC to be believable, and I'm sure everyone else does, some believability has to be sacrificed to have game mechanics that make sense. Maybe a reputation system is set up, so that when "you see" a flag, your character knows not to mess with that stuff, or becomes frightened to the consequences, making it "harder" for them to break blocks or steal things.

while I want TFC to be believable, and I'm sure everyone else does, some believability has to be sacrificed to have game mechanics that make sense.

Wait wait wait wait.

So, you want to sacrifice TFC's believability (which is, sacrificing realism to make mechanics that make sense and make the player's experience better) to make a game mechanic that makes sense and could (not saying it will) make the player's experiecne worse. Something seems to be failing here...

Player's inmersion is part of their experience in the game. Giving condition to their character inmediatly implies that they aren't their character, but merely control it. This harms the game's inmersive aspect, and the player experience is made worse.

Try to play minecraft in 3th person view all the time. It's basically the same problem, at a psichological level. It's not the same trying to protect yourself from death (in a game) that trying to protect a character from death; you won't care that much in the second case, and the game won't excite your senses as much as it will if you feel you are there.

I'm not against something similar to what you just said. However, this can be done, not by ruining player inmersion, but by enhancing it. How? Scare the player, not the character. Not "Your character knows not to mess with that stuff", but "You know not to mess with that stuff". Remember the first days in minecraft, when you couldn't stay still in a place without feeling a creeper in your back, even if you know there was nothing there? Something similar, but more permanent, more frightening and less common than creepers.

And how do you suggest that? A game can't control a person and cause them to think things. For example, getting thrown in jail by another faction. It doesn't affect you personally, only your character, and that is before we assume that there aren't just a bunch of trolls and greifers who don't give a damn about playing the game, but only annoying others. What do you do then?

EDIT: Is 1SDAN trolling me by liking every post I make?

Maybe the way the game scares the player is: when someone finds you picking a lock and looks at you, you get a screamer! Or maybe just when they hit you. Maybe when someone finds you out you drop your lock-picking stuff and have to click on the small block representing them to get them back. And lock picking could be like a mini-game and different locks can be crafted be metal-smiths to make opening them harder than just clicking on them.

Key lock: Requires a key, the more things to turn in the lock, the more the lock-picker has to use his metal stick thingy to turn. Finding and turning takes about 10 seconds if you know what your doing. You simply need to click, and move the mouse around. When you find a small groove (it makes a chink sound when it hits a wall) put the extending end into the groove and let go of the mouse button.

Turn lock: Requires a stethoscope and the ability to click. You have to click on it and then move the mouse left or right to turn the knob. When you attach a stethoscope to the chest, you can hear clicks representing where you should stop turning, but stethoscopes give false clicks when they are: less durable, of not-so-good-design, or you are turning the knob too quickly. The more switches are added, the more someone needs to turn. Takes longer to craft and each switch can take 20-40 seconds to crack if you know what your doing.

Maybe the way the game scares the player is: when someone finds you picking a lock and looks at you, you get a screamer!

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o19CaOSuD8

Screamers are just fucking annoying, and they will scare players away (and not in the way we want it to).

A game can't control a person and cause them to think things.

So, you never played Amnesia, or SCP, Or Penumbra? the way we scare players themselves is by making the punishment they receibe scary. And no, an infinite array of screamers is not scary. Let's say the player is sent to a jail. The environment, the sounds, what he sees, what he DON'T see, what everything around him makes he think... THAT will give the players fear.

Imagine waking up, trapped in a cell that you can't break through, poorly iluminated. You can hear something is crawling at the other side of the walls. You see a figure passing by the front of your cell, not caring about you, but you can't see it clearly. Every little sound around you stops, it's like if the audio was mute. But you walk a little in your cell and realize it's not. You can't see nothing through the bars, other than pure darkness. The figure is nowhere to be seen, and however, some strange sounds seem to indicate it's still near. Repentinely you are attacked, and turn back just to see it was just some rats bitting your legs, rats that soon escape through the bars. You hear a strong sound right behind you, but the fear just won't let you turn back.

Games can have a great power over the mental state of the player if they do it right. Don't understimate the power of your own imagination, 'cause sometimes, it controls you more than you control it. And the key for a game to control the player is knowing how to control it's imagination by suggestivity.

Yeah, there are games that can actually invoke emotions other than 'fuck yeah I did something awesome' but they're quite rare.

I got Dead Space because I'd heard it called 'horror' game, there were so many damn monsters it was just another shoot 'em up. You have to limit the fear, ration it out for greatest effect when it's least expected.

And punish the player when appropriate, give them something to lose you're you'll just be going for quick scare shots, which eventually bore.

They will be punished when seemed appropiate to the rules or the ruler, which brings another feature of the middle ages: fear from the law. It protects you as much as it can harm you, and you don't fuck with the law and just run away untouched. When the game is designed to be f+cking creepy as a punishment, you will surely be afraid of the rulers not liking what you are or do; this makes the experience much more fitting to the time period.

I honestly doubt it will be a shoot 'em up, on one hand 'cause those things scaring the player are not necesarily real, so you probably won't be able to hit 'em. On the other, as players fear and therefore respect the law, the game won't show this too commonly; it's solely an eventual occurrance you won't want to repeat ever again. If the ruler is tirant, as you said, people will eventually get bored and either abandon it's kingdom, or rebeal against him. And as the king won't be able to jail them up alone, he probably won't be able to survive it's own people rebealing.

Then, it ends up being a pretty close representation to normal human behaviour in the time period, both from the king and it's plebians.

So, what about my lock picking iders???

fear from the law. It protects you as much as it can harm you, and you don't fuck with the law and just run away untouched.

Ahem, Aladdin.

You absolutely need an NPC to defend a city or town when people arne't online.

now, inducing the hate of dunk and the community directly here,IF NPC's were to be used, why not make them soldier npc's , operating like skeletons and zombies with weapons, (except their human and functional) and using some of the weapons being suggested in the forums right now?

it'd make for a perfect defense, yet should someone attack one of these, they'd respond like zombie pigmen do, all attacking you, and chasing you more thoroughly than mobs, yet not straying as far from their defence point. (also, these NPC's should be somewhat place/craftable by players to make it mobile, this could lead to mobile armies attacking another town, escalating in a gigantic war *YAY MY FANTASY is going haywire again)

Players can place blocks, therefore, no NPC could beat them. just make a tower and snipe them. even if they got bows, just make it taller. or, build a 'fort' ahead of time and start your assault.

anyhow, this all has been gone though and we REALLY need this to become a dedicated subforum so we can lock this thread and discuss it with ORGANIZATION.

I think having the construction system be more involved would partly solve that problem, you didn't build a a tower outside enemy gates because it takes time when you will be unprotected and occupied.

construction should be slightly dangerous in an unsettled/unprotected area.

Still doesn't solve many other problems, but I think it would be appropriate regardless.

Have we ever tried creating kingdoms on a large server (raisercraft server large) just to observe how it the kingdom would be? i.e. checking if it's actually possible to have a few players patrolling the kingdom at any time and protecting other people's items etc.

I think it would give us more and better ideas on what's needed in the kingdoms update and what isn't. We don't really have any experiences in creating a large in city tfc do we?