Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
ximeeen

Larger Biomes - Realistic Biome Transition

86 posts in this topic

That took you 15 minutes, boy got some novices here. This is how it's done.

Posted Image

2 minutes of paint.net, masterpiece.

Anyway, besides that, I am totally confused.

the idea is that no matter how far west or east you go, you will always find more new land, but there is a limit for north/south. This will probably be enforced because eventually it will be too cold and you'll freeze to death... (we don't like you walking into a wall) but don't worry, the distance from north pole to south pole should be about that of 1/2 the circumference of Earth's moon.

the idea is that no matter how far west or east you go, you will always find more new land, but there is a limit for north/south. This will probably be enforced because eventually it will be too cold and you'll freeze to death... (we don't like you walking into a wall) but don't worry, the distance from north pole to south pole should be about that of 1/2 the circumference of Earth's moon.

Dang, decrease in size much? I'll explore that in a day (pfft, lies). I never find a good spot to settle, I usually travel 15km before unhappily settling in a granite and basalt plain instead of mountains, then I forest the place and have to look more.

Dang, decrease in size much? I'll explore that in a day (pfft, lies). I never find a good spot to settle, I usually travel 15km before unhappily settling in a granite and basalt plain instead of mountains, then I forest the place and have to look more.

in this type of world gen, you'll be stuck with the flora and fauna you spawn with, although different types of rock will probably be more common (and independent of the surface biomes). Unless you spawn on or near the boundary of two biomes, you better get settled quick lol.

in this type of world gen, you'll be stuck with the flora and fauna you spawn with, although different types of rock will probably be more common (and independent of the surface biomes). Unless you spawn on or near the boundary of two biomes, you better get settled quick lol.

Wait, so no more 4 tree types per biome? Will we get all the trees in one world, all together, or do we have a chance of not getting a certain type of tree?

Wait, so no more 4 tree types per biome? Will we get all the trees in one world, all together, or do we have a chance of not getting a certain type of tree?

trees will spawn based on climate, instead of biome. If it is cool and wet, you might get sequoias, If you are in mountainous terrain where it gets cold, you'd probably see more conifers. Conversely, (we might add in more trees, I'm looking into it) certain trees would not be only found in certain areas. Rivers might have willows next to them instead of only being found in swamps. We'll try to have a variety of trees for various climates, but it's really all independent of anything set in stone.

i get it...infinite longitude.

that's fine. nobody could sail around the whole world in the iron age anyway.

So what do you mean by flora and fauna? Are we stuck with 2 types of flowers!?! I won't live if I only see 2 flowers!

So pretty much single climate on a generated world? or just so big of biomes you would be suicidal to go looking for a new one?

So what do you mean by flora and fauna? Are we stuck with 2 types of flowers!?! I won't live if I only see 2 flowers!

All of my no. While it's true many many dyes came from rocks, it's also true many many others come from the flora: flowers sometimes, something of a tree other times...

So yeah, Dunk, i would like mo' trees -which for some reason sounds to me like the paralel dimension version of mo' creatures-, but also, take a look at other minors forms of flora... i still can't believe the exact same kind of tall grass grows in every biome with dirt on it. Even desserts can have it...

mo' trees -which for some reason sounds to me like the paralel dimension version of mo' creatures-

Hush before you open a paragonal vortex...

So pretty much single climate on a generated world? or just so big of biomes you would be suicidal to go looking for a new one?

Didn't you see the image I posted? It showed forests, deserts plains and tundra. (although there was no legend) worlds will be realistic. Smaller biomes can occur in isolated instances with in others, such as small fields with in forests or swamps in forests etc, but for the most part, temperature and moisture won't vary enough over a distance easilly travelled for it to be feasible to travel between biomes.

such as small fields with in forests

OH GOD MAGICAL FAIRY CLEARING WITH UNICORNS YES

...I mean...

...Red meat and... going to the gym... and sex. *ahem*

Eternal... *psst* Eternal. Your brony is showing, dude.

EDIT: For ditzy(? Not sure about this one, Scooter... ^_-) -ness. Thanks, Scooter.

EDIT 2: For... for... somepin'... *shrug*

Oh lord Eternal XD

Also, it's Brony*

Edited by Scooterdanny

Ulfengaard, it's ditzy-ness now, c'mon man! (pardon for thread derail)

One thing I wasn't sure fully confirmed, bare rock mountains. I thought I heard some of you talk about it and even confirm it, but I figured it was too much of something I actually wanted to be implemented. Just love the thought of a huge sandstone cliff face that (when it may or may not be added) has weathered into steeples and stone pillars.

ON TOPIC: always thought one transition biome (if it could be called that) was no where near enough to display a change from something as dramatic as tundra to desert. Of course we now know the future is climates and most likely a vanilla ocean size of terrain transitioning into another climate of drastic change.

Edit: thread perhaps rerailed •3•

@antimatter: It may be my inner nerdgasmic fantasy, but I think Dunk confirmed this or at least liked it a little the other day... Dunno.

I, for one, welcome our new environment-based generation overlords

I, for one, welcome our new environment-based generation overlords

All of the reference understandings...

Topic level: Success

Good to see that so many show further interest in this.

Also, bronies shoo back to that hellpit known as /mlp/, or atleast keep it contained.

Topic level: Success

Good to see that so many show further interest in this.

Also, bronies shoo back to that hellpit known as /mlp/, or atleast keep it contained.

don't need to judge their life and they should keep a majority of that to themselves if they are a true gentlpony

Not judging, directing them to where /mlp/ is to be discussed, anyways.

This forum should get a /mlp/ off-topic section.

Not judging, directing them to where /mlp/ is to be discussed, anyways.

This forum should get a /mlp/ off-topic section.

No. I have no problem with Bronies, but there is already an off topic section. It gets fuck all traffic. I'm sure that will do the job.