Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TrueCH

TFC + RedPower2

26 posts in this topic

Yo, friends!

I've just installed RedPower2 over TFC and created new world. It had huge lava spawns on surface. I've tryed that seed without RedPower, and voila - lava dessapeared. What's the problem? does TFC fully not compatible with RedPower, or I should have installed all parts of RedPower except World part, or what? How should I install RedPower to get playable TFC with RedPower features?

redpower world = changes terrain generation

TFC_Core = changes terrain generation

this leads to a conflict between the mods so no, you cannot use redpower world with TFC, at least not in this stage of development.

redpower world = changes terrain generation

TFC_Core = changes terrain generation

this leads to a conflict between the mods so no, you cannot use redpower world with TFC, at least not in this stage of development.

Thank you, now i understood this.

Another question, does RedPower World include ores like Silver, Copper, Tin , that are used in RedPower mod? And if you faced with this problem yet, does these ores compatible with TFC ores?

No, basically the only things that redpower spawns are the lava spouts, and the rest is TFC, but TFC has all the ores red power has, so you would want to use TFC for more consistency anyhow. If you knew much about coding you could edit redpower and turn off the volcanoes, which are stupid and ugly anyhow in vanilla, and broken in TFC. In fact several people have done this, but probably wont share their modded redpower, out of fear or Elloram coming after them for some law that technically doesn't exists. (IE, there is no signature on any contract BINDING you to the do not edit my files clause on the redpower page.)

ANYHOW, basically you either would have to edit redpower world and turn off the volcanoes, or edit redpower machines and change the dependencies to use items from TFC instead of the RP2 world gen.

Jasnatdic: true but I don't think he would ask these questions if he already know how to edit a mod like redpower to remove the lavaspouts and such.

TrueCH: As I understand it, since TFC uses the forge ore library, any metal/alloy that are in TFC should work with other mods that use the same types of metals/alloys.

Redpower World do spawn those ores, unless you edit the ".minecraftredpowerredpower.cfg" with any basic text editor to make it not do so.

Thanks for answers and suggestions. Im amateur programmer, but never faced with Minecraft modding. I think I'm going just TMI those things than I could mine in RedPower World, when I reach suitable level of progress.

Does rp2machines actually HAVE to have rp2world, or is it just dependant on the materials?

Just the materials i believe, i think they depend on core... i might be mistaken on that, i haven't used Rp in a long time.

there's only one way to see... try insalling machines without world, and we will see what happens.

there's only one way to see... try insalling machines without world, and we will see what happens.

Aye, was at work at the time i asked though. Might see if it will work in the morning.

(IE, there is no signature on any contract BINDING you to the do not edit my files clause on the redpower page.)

You don't sign anything saying you won't print counterfeit money either, or sell copies of movies you purchased, or software you purchased, the fact you didn't sign anything doesn't negate the copyright. You agree to the copyright by downloading it.

http://www.eloraam.com/?page_id=130

ya, it seems to Machine works only with World, but we can try to install Machine without World. Maybe Machine only requires materials from World? So we could just take those items from TMI

You don't sign anything saying you won't print counterfeit money either, or sell copies of movies you purchased, or software you purchased, the fact you didn't sign anything doesn't negate the copyright. You agree to the copyright by downloading it.

It also doesn't bind you to some, you can never modify the files in your possession, clause. In fact a copyright court would laugh you out if you tried to sue somebody because they modified files on their own and didn't distribute them.

Correct. That falls under Fair Use, you can modify anything for your own personal use, the legal issue comes once you distribute those modified files.

I know I didn't include that in my original quote from you, but that was what lead into the portion of your original post I did quote.

In fact several people have done this, but probably wont share their modded redpower, out of fear or Elloram coming after them for some law that technically doesn't exists.

http://www.eloraam.com/?page_id=130

ya, it seems to Machine works only with World, but we can try to install Machine without World. Maybe Machine only requires materials from World? So we could just take those items from TMI

Machines will work just fine without World, but you need a way to get the materials such as silver, nikolyte, etc. in order to make the machines. So if you want to use TMI or NEI to get the materials, that would work.

This is not relevant.

You have rights under the Fair Use doctrine, (at least in the US, your municipality may vary) that cannot be signed away in a EULA.

Eloraam, can quite frankly stick it up her fill_in_the_blank.

Her work piggybacks off of disassembling *someone else's* source, and distributing *their source* along with her modifications.

I have personally patched out the ridiculous volcanos in every version of RP2 i've used, and mentioned multiple times that it should be an option on minecraftforums.net, as well as my willingness to distribute non-infringing patches. I suspect her mod generates enough page views, and thus advertising, that the mods have no issue censoring my input at her request.

I am willing to distribute said patches somewhere if someone will host.

-Truth-

What program did you use to open the class files?

Notepad++, or something similar?

Me and my noob mistakes...

This is not relevant.

You have rights under the Fair Use doctrine, (at least in the US, your municipality may vary) that cannot be signed away in a EULA.

Eloraam, can quite frankly stick it up her fill_in_the_blank.

Her work piggybacks off of disassembling *someone else's* source, and distributing *their source* along with her modifications.

I have personally patched out the ridiculous volcanos in every version of RP2 i've used, and mentioned multiple times that it should be an option on minecraftforums.net, as well as my willingness to distribute non-infringing patches. I suspect her mod generates enough page views, and thus advertising, that the mods have no issue censoring my input at her request.

I am willing to distribute said patches somewhere if someone will host.

Except, mojang's terms of use allow for you to create mods, plugins, and texture packs. And they allow users to distribute those. http://www.minecraft.net/terms Her using their work, is well within the rights given to her by their terms.

Eloraam's terms dictate that you not distribute modified versions of her code. Fair use allows for you to modify it and use it yourself, however you're not changing a significant enough portion of her work for Fair use to allow you to distribute it. I think you are the one in need of looking up how fair use and copyrights actually work.

Now, do I think Eloraam is going to sue anyone for distributing a modified version of her mod, no. But she would have the legal footing to do so.

Except, mojang's terms of use allow for you to create mods, plugins, and texture packs. And they allow users to distribute those. http://www.minecraft.net/terms Her using their work, is well within the rights given to her by their terms.

Eloraam's terms dictate that you not distribute modified versions of her code. Fair use allows for you to modify it and use it yourself, however you're not changing a significant enough portion of her work for Fair use to allow you to distribute it. I think you are the one in need of looking up how fair use and copyrights actually work.

Now, do I think Eloraam is going to sue anyone for distributing a modified version of her mod, no. But she would have the legal footing to do so.

Nobody wants to distribute her code.

Somebody wants to distribute a patch against her code, which is legal by determination of case law in the US. Her "license" attempts to forbid this, however, it cannot.

And no, nobody is afraid of her suing anyone. However, she actively censors attempts by people to do things that are well within their rights.

I thank you for your baseless accusations. I will leave looking up the case regarding distribution of patches against copyrighted code to you (hint: Nintendo).

From the Mojang terms site you cited :)

"Do not distribute anything we've made. This includes, but not limited to, the client or the server software for the game. This also includes modified versions of anything we've made."

Think hard.. think... Forge.

The fact that Mojang chooses not to enforce its terms is not relevant to the hypocrisy being pointed out.

Thank you for cheer-leading.

Carry on.

And then read farther down on the mojang site where it says

What You Can Do

If you've bought the game, you may play around with it and modify it. We'd appreciate it if you didn't use this for griefing, though, and remember not to distribute the changed versions of our software. Basically, mods (or plugins, or tools) are cool (you can distribute those), hacked versions of the Minecraft client or server are not (you can't distribute those).

They are giving you permission to do so.

Nobody wants to distribute her code.

Somebody wants to distribute a patch against her code, which is legal by determination of case law in the US. Her "license" attempts to forbid this, however, it cannot.

Except, that is what was being suggested. That the people who had modified it, wouldn't be willing to share the entire modified redpower world file. Then it was said that distributing that wouldn't breach the copyright, which it does.

Read the full thread, then get involved.

And then read farther down on the mojang site where it says

They are giving you permission to do so.

Except, that is what was being suggested. That the people who had modified it, wouldn't be willing to share the entire modified redpower world file. Then it was said that distributing that wouldn't breach the copyright, which it does.

Read the full thread, then get involved.

As I said,

"I have personally patched out the ridiculous volcanos in every version of RP2 i've used, and mentioned multiple times that it should be an option on minecraftforums.net, as well as my willingness to distribute non-infringing patches. I suspect her mod generates enough page views, and thus advertising, that the mods have no issue censoring my input at her request."

I have posted patches containing none of her code, and she has complained and had them pulled as a violation of her copyright terms, on the grounds that I "was not allowed to disassemble" the source.

Also, regarding Minecraft license terms: The permission to distribute "mods" and "plugins" as undefined by the license does *not* supersede the strict denial of allowance of the distribution of *any* modified Mojang IP (defined).

There was a big snafoo about this once upon a time, and the community for a time stuck to distributing *only patches*.

Notch later decided that modding was in his best interest, and stopped saying negative things about MCP, including its legality, and that he was ok with the distribution of modified core files. There are many distribution mechanisms available for plugins, etc without distribution of modified core files - he simply decided fighting that fight was less important than the publicity minecraft was gaining due to mods.

However, there are still mod authors today who will not distribute core files because the wording of the license is ambiguous and essentially does not give permission for distributed core files, or derivative works thereof as written.

I see where you're coming from, but you're attacking something *i* never wrote. So please take your own advice, read the *full* thread, then get involved.

I personally don't care. Some people (not to name names) take things like modding WAAYYY too seriously. I normally don't like talking bad about people but I've witnessed how someone has talked down to people in the community and seems to me, just like a self-righteous ass hat that thinks they're better than everyone else. I've been involved in mods for various games for YEARS (about 15-18 years-ish I think) and never seen such animosity over "copyright" of a modification.

I personally don't care. Some people (not to name names) take things like modding WAAYYY too seriously. I normally don't like talking bad about people but I've witnessed how someone has talked down to people in the community and seems to me, just like a self-righteous ass hat that thinks they're better than everyone else. I've been involved in mods for various games for YEARS (about 15-18 years-ish I think) and never seen such animosity over "copyright" of a modification.

afaict, it's a fairly new trend.

I've never encountered it before i began working with MC modifications.

Can't say for sure, but I think the popularity of a Java game opened up some flood gates to a bunch of young/immature budding software engineers.

But hey, I crack embedded software, free people's phones and release my code for free, so maybe I'm just a hippy.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0