Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scooterdanny

Additional Chisel Functions

65 members have voted

1. 1. Subdividing blocks into "cubits" increases bandwidth use because each time a "cubit block" is edited, the server needs to send the aditional 1000 bits to your client (assuming for 10x10x10 blocks). (-Dunk)

• Yes, totally worth it
    • No, please don't

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

79 posts in this topic

Loved this idea, a couple ideas to add though first off SSP metalworking should still be possible but it should be extremely difficult to make it to the third or even second tier. And with stone this would be a great time to remove the knapping GUI...

I'll explain don't worry

Basic Explanation

For those of you who had a heart attack calm down it won't be just a removal but also a replacement. First off rocks on the ground should have more random bounding boxes and all sizes should be shifted into tenths of a full cube. A rock can be used on another rock found on the ground and will began chipping away microblocks. Since breaking rocks like that doesn't work perfectly adajacent microblocks may break randomly. When it ends up in a noticable shape it will drop as that item.

Smaller Tools

Finding a rock large enough to make an axe or sword is difficult unless you dig straight down (which I will address later) so a hatchet and dagger would have to be added with their respective knapping plans (the old ones their larger versions had).

In Case of Mistakes

Since mistakes happen you have two choices if one does happen. Either pick it up and it will drop as a rock or finish the plan with the mistake and get the tool it almost is (with a chip in it) with half durability left.

Placing Rocks

All rock items are placed as a normal rock thats only three by three to discourage picking up and moving these rocks.

Digging made Difficult

Now to address the problem of the fact that as soon as everyone gets their first rock they are going to start digging and shaping the stone below which isn't quite believable so I see two solutions. Make dirt harder to dig through or make it harder to shape full rocks into tools. Dirt is easy, make it take longer to break with your bare hands and give shovels a better boost. Breaking things didn't require to much either if someone is going to take the time to break ninety something blocks they deserve that tool.

It might be nice to switch the tenths to sixteenths also just for the heck of it if anything needs more explaining just tell me.

Hold on guys, the things I talked about are a loooooong way off. Don't get too many ideas.

To get back on topic, I just talked to bioxx about the original post, specifically, the smaller blocks as opposed to layers. He's all for it, and wants to implement it, but you have to realize that if we only made the blocks 10x10x10, that's 1000 bits that the server has to send to the clients each time a block is changed. That quickly uses a lot of band width. Is this something you're okay with?

That is fine for me, i get plenty of FPS as it is, could you have regular block still send the same amount of bandwith until modified?

I'm definitely for that, is it possible to do the whole specific drop if its in a specific shape thing?

That is fine for me, i get plenty of FPS as it is, could you have regular block still send the same amount of bandwith until modified?

yeah, it should work that way.

Excellent, this pleases me.

Seriously though this would be awesome but i kind of want to know if i need to make a thread for the replacement knapping. Just statues are great but functionality would be even better.

Edit: Didn't mean to be pushy, I'm just curious

I approve of this thread. *nods in satisfaction* Gratz, Scooter.

Dunk, when you say smaller blocks as opposed to layers, are you implying layers will be taken out? Because if layers are removed creating a vanilla style half slab would require removing 500 small bits for each slab. I just ask to clarify, I'm sure it's more likely that layers will remain in slab mode and a precision mode will be added for this new system.

Seriously though this would be awesome but i kind of want to know if i need to make a thread for the replacement knapping. Just statues are great but functionality would be even better.

I don't know about that. That would be significantly more difficult than you might think. and potentially unwieldy.

Dunk, when you say smaller blocks as opposed to layers, are you implying layers will be taken out? Because if layers are removed creating a vanilla style half slab would require removing 500 small bits for each slab. I just ask to clarify, I'm sure it's more likely that layers will remain in slab mode and a precision mode will be added for this new system.

oh god no. We don't hate you guys, lol.

What if when you broke it, it dropped that item instead of a rock?

Eh... i like knapping as it is honestly.

I'm fin with knapping as is, but I thought that right clicking a rock on the ground with a rock in your hand would be more streamlined way to open up the gui

Also, 1000 Bits is really small, 125 bytes, may i remind you all that, one letter is about 16 bits, so each time you change a block like that, it's like posting 10 words or so, 62.5 letters, a pittance really, it shouldn't affect anyone's game-play if i understand bandwidth at all XD

that's half the amount of customiztion, 512 blocks as apposed to 1000 so, the detail would be much rougher.

that's half the amount of customiztion, 512 blocks as apposed to 1000 so, the detail would be much rougher.

And this is a problem in a game with meter cubed blocks because...?

And this is a problem in a game with meter cubed blocks because...?

It doesn't really help you make life size statues.

And it's 10x10x10 because the current layering mechanic comes in layers of 10

In response I love the knapping GUI its the best thing since bread (no butter yet). In fact I love it so much I want more from it. If it were in-world instead though and not a GUI it would be even more involving and with the added chipping and random rock sizes it would also have more variation. Added on top of that another stone tier would be added small weak tools and then the large more powerful tools.

Added on top of that another stone tier would be added small weak tools and then the large more powerful tools.

While that would be more realistic, i see it more as busy work, sure you can bang at a tree with a sharp rock, just to get better rocks and sticks for stone tools.

It may seem like it at first but it is better than making the same tools over and over in different types of metal. The tools will be different in both tiers the first will be small and second will be our large regular tools the way its looking eventually there will be a lot of tools and weapons (eventually) this is the perfect way to prepare for that.

If we get a woodcarving mechanic, I'd like to see the saw being used to make slabs and stairs, and the possible carving (1-Cubit-Edit) functionality would be handled by the existing chisel, or shunted over to the knife.

snip

This works for me :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0