Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scooterdanny

Additional Chisel Functions

65 members have voted

1. 1. Subdividing blocks into "cubits" increases bandwidth use because each time a "cubit block" is edited, the server needs to send the aditional 1000 bits to your client (assuming for 10x10x10 blocks). (-Dunk)

• Yes, totally worth it
    • No, please don't

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

79 posts in this topic

Maybe there could be a mallet as opposed to a hammer along with the hatchet and dagger that would be used for wood carving also

But they are very similar except for the materials that go into them (and sometimes a cylindrical shape, yes, yes) they could perform the same functions, i would like to see the amount of tools not skyrocket, when an existing tool can pick up the slack.

Yeah, give the knife some love. Carving, clothmaking, dueling, shearing, are all things the knife could do instead of us making another tool.

You forgot shaving.... though Steve never seems to grow a beard, at all. He is utterly unchanging, which contributes to his otherworldly aura. Creepy guy, really...

You forgot shaving.... though Steve never seems to grow a beard, at all. He is utterly unchanging, which contributes to his otherworldly aura. Creepy guy, really...

Yep. When you think about it, Steve doesn't go to the bathroom, bleed, need to sleep, grow, age, shave, talk and can spend literally endless weeks mining underground. Just saying, he's definitely some kind of supervillain. I bet Steve is a guy tripping balls on shrooms and the zombies are really just innocent testificates.

.... I shall never see zombies the same... especially the infected testificates in 1.3 lol

You need to see 'Meet the Pyro'. XD

I have lol, i almost cried laughing.

Ok back to the OP

-Engraving, (not original, but wanted an organized home for the suggestions) i must re-create my dwarf fortress in MC.

I think we could actually use the removal of cubits or micro blocks as has already been suggested in the OP as a way to engrave or create runes, just an idea.

Also, Gem cutting could be done at a gem cutting bench and have a gui along the lines of the anvil gui, just a thought. Once they have a use of course.

Indeed, i considered those myself, and the gem cutters bench, hmm, that's not a bad idea, but i have no idea what the GUI should look like.

Yeah Dunk already said there is no point in suggesting thing that don't have a use, so whatever they are put to use for will base what the gui and cutting will be like in the first place

Aw, the first vote for no. lol i really don't see why.

AHHHHH .. I am so torn on this .. It sounds to me like this will be far too much load on servers, but it unlocks to much potential for sculpting .. Damnit >.<

Were talking 125 bytes here, 1/8 of a Kb. so i doubt this will slow servers, and ONLY when the block is updated.

Were talking 125 bytes here, 1/8 of a Kb. so i doubt this will slow servers, and ONLY when the block is updated.

Then it's a yes from me, if only because I like people having more options :P

Me, just to add flavor. I actually would like to see it ;)

Me, just to add flavor. I actually would like to see it ;)

wut

lol. why did you vote no if you want to see it hydra?

wut

It were me. I are nay sayer:

Just for shits n giggles. There are so many Yes votes that a single no vote isn't going to affect it.

It were me. I are nay sayer:

Just for shits n giggles. There are so many Yes votes that a single no vote isn't going to affect it.

you know Bioxx, right?

Yeah. I think it'd be cool to see it but I'm completely indifferent on whether or not it actually gets added lol.

Did i just read i get plenty of FPS in reply to the server is going to require more bandwidth? Bandwidth has nothing at all to do with FPS, and 1kb every time a block is changed with one person on may not be much, but what if you have 40 people on. 1 person changing 1 block in range of 40 people is 1 extra kb going out to every person who is in load range of that block, so 40k extra. Now lets say 10 people are carving away at their own things in range of 40 people, now its 400k per second assuming everyone is just chipping away at their blocks with 1 change a second. What if all 40 are in range and carving away, there goes 1.2 megs per second of extra bandwidth.

This is largely an unlikely scenario that 40 blocks will be changed consistently in the range of 40 people at once, but hopefully this illustrates that it doesn't just send 1k when a block is changed, it sends 1k per character in range. It really isnt going to lag the server, but it will quite easily lag out connections to servers, and minecraft already uses 50-300k per second per connection. I believe this is much more streamlined in 1.3 though.

Another thing is, without caching, i believe this will also increase bandwidth every time a chunk with these is loaded, with a chunk with a statue for instance this could quickly become a meg or more to load the chunk. Its not just the change to the block that has an effect, its that the block is now 1000 bits once it becomes this carve-able entity as apposed to being the, i think, 4 bits it use to be.

I like the idea, and the customization level allowed by this would be great, but understand that its not just a little bandwidth, it could quite quickly turn into a lot of bandwidth under certain conditions.

This could in fact be enough bandwidth to make the ability for private home servers to exists with tfc quite difficult, what with most non business isp connections having monthly bandwidth caps. Perhaps a toggle in config would alleviate this issue, and those wishing to avoid this problem could simply turn it off.

EDIT: Ehh my math is doofy in there, but oh well, its late and i have a migraine and cant sleep. Still, lots of potential extra bandwidth.:P

Did i just read i get plenty of FPS in reply to the server is going to require more bandwidth? Bandwidth has nothing at all to do with FPS, and 1kb every time a block is changed with one person on may not be much, but what if you have 40 people on. 1 person changing 1 block in range of 40 people is 1 extra kb going out to every person who is in load range of that block, so 40k extra. Now lets say 10 people are carving away at their own things in range of 40 people, now its 400k per second assuming everyone is just chipping away at their blocks with 1 change a second. What if all 40 are in range and carving away, there goes 1.2 megs per second of extra bandwidth.

This is largely an unlikely scenario that 40 blocks will be changed consistently in the range of 40 people at once, but hopefully this illustrates that it doesn't just send 1k when a block is changed, it sends 1k per character in range. It really isnt going to lag the server, but it will quite easily lag out connections to servers, and minecraft already uses 50-300k per second per connection. I believe this is much more streamlined in 1.3 though.

Another thing is, without caching, i believe this will also increase bandwidth every time a chunk with these is loaded, with a chunk with a statue for instance this could quickly become a meg or more to load the chunk. Its not just the change to the block that has an effect, its that the block is now 1000 bits once it becomes this carve-able entity as apposed to being the, i think, 4 bits it use to be.

I like the idea, and the customization level allowed by this would be great, but understand that its not just a little bandwidth, it could quite quickly turn into a lot of bandwidth under certain conditions.

This could in fact be enough bandwidth to make the ability for private home servers to exists with tfc quite difficult, what with most non business isp connections having monthly bandwidth caps. Perhaps a toggle in config would alleviate this issue, and those wishing to avoid this problem could simply turn it off.

EDIT: Ehh my math is doofy in there, but oh well, its late and i have a migraine and cant sleep. Still, lots of potential extra bandwidth. :P

It has been confirmed as a feature, I can see where your concern lies though. We'll see how it goes :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0