Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Treyflix

Game breaking lag at certain times

12 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, this is my first post here! :)

So I recently downloaded TFC. I also have optifine installed. My computer is not the gratest but I can get about 20-30 FPS with optifine on tiny+16. It does the job though and I don't mind overly much. Oncce I created my first world and got all te settings proper I was getting my normal 20-30 FPS but when I tried to harvest some sticks and rocks, BAM, down to 1. It seems that whenever I left click in any way, wether I fight, use tools, use a fire, or manage my inventory my FPS shoots down, and then comes back up like nothing happened. This makes it very difficult to play the game! while it has gotten a little better, It's not gone away in the 20 minutes I have played. Another, less anoying but still problematic issue is that the world is generating really slow (despite having the multi-core version of optifine). I'm used to slow, but this is so slow that I can actually walk onto the invisible chunk BEFORE it loads. This is not as eeirly consistent as the other problem and does not seem to be present at all times, but is still frequent.

So please, if you have ANY idea as to what could be causing these problems or how to fix them, help me out! If you need anymore information to determine the issue, just ask.

~Treyflix

this issue occours to many people (including me)

i can t help you but i do get the same game stopping lag around forested areas

Oh, ok. Well I'll deal with it haha. I did notice that it is starting to go away, It's still irratating but definetly tolerable. Thank you for answering my question, I'm off to go find some clay!

Also one thing to note (which might explain why it seems to take so long to load) is the TFC actually building within most of the 256 layers, where vanilla Minecraft still only builds within the first 128 layers. So in TFC, there can be twice as much to load as there was in vanilla MC.

hmm makes sense

btw i figured out what was partly respawnsable for my lag problem.

i went into MCedit and viewed the ground below several forests and found a massive caved in area below.

my thinking is that a large cave was below the forest and when i loaded the area the loose materials collapsed causing the lag spikes

I had this too, and what fixed it for me is OptiFine. If you already do use optifine, what version do you have? Cause I had MultiCore and it lagged like that, switched to smooth and no lag

Also one thing to note (which might explain why it seems to take so long to load) is the TFC actually building within most of the 256 layers, where vanilla Minecraft still only builds within the first 128 layers. So in TFC, there can be twice as much to load as there was in vanilla MC.

That makes sense! thank you, this issue is also getting a little better. Computer must be getting used to it...

hmm makes sense

btw i figured out what was partly respawnsable for my lag problem.

i went into MCedit and viewed the ground below several forests and found a massive caved in area below.

my thinking is that a large cave was below the forest and when i loaded the area the loose materials collapsed causing the lag spikes

interesting... I'm pretty sure it was the block breaking issue.

oh really salvatos? that's odd. i never knew vanilla did that.

oh really salvatos? that's odd. i never knew vanilla did that.

Yup, since the anvil world (the update that extended the height to 256), it has never utilized the additional height to generate terrain.

I have also experienced pretty terrible performance of TF, but have come up with drastically different conclusions.

(note: all is on Normal render distance)

In normal vanilla MC, I usually have around 20 fps in forested areas. When first started TFC, I almost gave up because I was getting 2 fps (not kidding or exagarrating, shift-f3 was saying the same). With OptiFine I managed to climb up back to 15fps with turning basically almost everything off. By the way, I originally thought TFC was incompatibile with OptiFine, because it simply didn't work (and crashed when you tried enabling AdvancedOpenGL), but only after I loaded Optifine AFTER TFC, it started to work. I do not know what parts of the rendering are overwritten by TFC, but overwriting it with OptiFine seems to somehow work (though no idea how much of the possible lag is caused by eventual incompatibility in the general approach of TFC rendering and OptiFine).

Anyway, in the end, the lag was still bad in tall-forested areas (as bad as 4-6fps in a choppy manner). I concluded that the issue were the trees, or rather - the leaves. I usually play on Fast graphics, which means saving a lot of the rendering power on rendering the leaves. Unfortunately, in TFC, with "physical transparency" of leaves, they seem to be force-rendered even if they are behind another, just what happens on Fancy graphics setting. Which generally I believe is responsible for most of the lag I get in TFC. It is playable, but not really enjoyable some moments. I wish there was a good workaround that allowed the leaves to be rendered efficiently on Fast graphics (like in normal MC).

Yeah, and the not being able to jump on top of leaves? Shouldn't tree climbing be possible? It sure helped me to get a vantage point. Bioxx really needs to optimize this mod in the rendering/framerate areas mainly. After that, the game will be much more enjoyable.

Yeah, and the not being able to jump on top of leaves? Shouldn't tree climbing be possible? It sure helped me to get a vantage point. Bioxx really needs to optimize this mod in the rendering/framerate areas mainly. After that, the game will be much more enjoyable.

Hahahahahahahahaha. By all the gods, this was horrible. Good luck trying to play a mod without knowing its features.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0