Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
flamestrider

The TFC Wiki and Minerals/Ores

40 posts in this topic

Hello there Terrafirmians!

If you don't know me I'm one of the active wiki editors and I would like your help.

Currently I feel that the knowledge base on where to find ores and minerals are a bit thin on the wiki, so...

I would like it if you all could tell me where to find them. What I need from you is this:

• Screen-shot taken without a texture-pack displaying said ore/mineral against the rocklayer it is found in. (You don't need to post the screen-shot here, just provide a link to it and I'll consider that in the same light, just add the link to your post)
  • Name of mineral/ore, just to clear up any confusion on what you have found.
  • Use the latest build of TFC, never post any ore info here if you havn't used the latest build of the mod.
And, please, spread the word so that we can identify the locations of all minerals and ores and compile them into a useful knowledge-base on the wiki for all terrafirmians to use. Edited by flamestrider

Are you referring to location as in underground location (so, general y levels), or biomes (I suppose more for the minerals)? I have this theory that certain minerals are found in certain biomes, but because there are probably like two or three ores for any given biome, I haven't gotten around to testing that buuuuuuuut that's what this thread is for, right?

And would you like us to post the pictures here, or send them to you in a PM or something.

Are you referring to location as in underground location (so, general y levels), or biomes (I suppose more for the minerals)? I have this theory that certain minerals are found in certain biomes, but because there are probably like two or three ores for any given biome, I haven't gotten around to testing that buuuuuuuut that's what this thread is for, right?

And would you like us to post the pictures here, or send them to you in a PM or something.

The location is what type of stonelayer you find the ores/minerals in, as height isn't interesting for how to find the ores/minerals.

Biomes aren't important either as different biomes assign stonelayers differently for all the different "seeds".

Any pictures can be posted in this thread for ease of finding, and as soon as I can see the proof I will add it to the wiki so that anyone has access to the information.

This topic has a list. No screenshots though.

Yes, I will check on this list, but as anyone can just write a list of where the ores are, and if they aren't willing to put it on the wiki, I will not use it as a "definite" source but maybe as a reference to the wiki.

One problem I can see with this approach is that often, veins and clusters start in one layer and overlap into other layers. That could lead to results being a little skewed.

One problem I can see with this approach is that often, veins and clusters start in one layer and overlap into other layers. That could lead to results being a little skewed.

While this is true, as data are aggregated the outliers will show themselves and can be discounted based on this effect. The more people who help with this, the faster we can complete this (barring any further changes in ore distribution, of course)!

While this is true, as data are aggregated the outliers will show themselves and can be discounted based on this effect. The more people who help with this, the faster we can complete this (barring any further changes in ore distribution, of course)!

I thought about that, I'm going to request that all posts are made on the latest TFC build, adding that to the main post.

What is this word "terrafirmians"? I do not like it much. And remember, don't make the guide too telling. We don't want you guys to look up everything under the sun. It makes the game too easy.

What is this word "terrafirmians"? I do not like it much. And remember, don't make the guide too telling. We don't want you guys to look up everything under the sun. It makes the game too easy.

This post isn't about the guide at all.

It is about having the basic information about minerals and ores on the wiki, for the http://terrafirmacraft.com/wiki/Ores and http://terrafirmacraft.com/wiki/Minerals pages, since so much of it is missing, it's just a quick reference system for people. Or are you saying I shouldn't do that? even though the "location" part is there and at the moment is just a "?".

and the word "Terrafirmians" is just my way of saying hello to all the players and other people involved in any way with the mod... I'm sorry if you dislike it, no-one has bothered telling me it's a bad term on the IRC, where I spend most of my time.

Yeah, like that is even remotely possible to control and is well worth the time and effort to actually try and achieve

That is sarcasm by the way :)

This post isn't about the guide at all.

It is about having the basic information about minerals and ores on the wiki, for the http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Ores and http://wiki.terrafir...ft.com/Minerals pages, since so much of it is missing, it's just a quick reference system for people. Or are you saying I shouldn't do that? even though the "location" part is there and at the moment is just a "?".

and the word "Terrafirmians" is just my way of saying hello to all the players and other people involved in any way with the mod... I'm sorry if you dislike it, no-one has bothered telling me it's a bad term on the IRC, where I spend most of my time.

just my opinion, don't think too much of it lol =P.

But I know it's not a "guide" per se, but I mean any amount of information that helps someone find the right path or do the right thing is a guide.

just my opinion, don't think too much of it lol =P.

But I know it's not a "guide" per se, but I mean any amount of information that helps someone find the right path or do the right thing is a guide.

Correction, a "guide" is a nit a collection of facts like a wiki article. A guide is something that directly connects facts using instruction in steps.

I do understand you're caution at not making the wiki do the work for you, that is very important and I agree. However I did not like the holstile tone in your first post. Keep it happy :).

PS, I quite like terrafirmians :D

Correction, a "guide" is a nit a collection of facts like a wiki article. A guide is something that directly connects facts using instruction in steps.

I do understand you're caution at not making the wiki do the work for you, that is very important and I agree. However I did not like the holstile tone in your first post. Keep it happy :).

PS, I quite like terrafirmians :D

don't correct me.

Dictionary definition: a book, pamphlet, etc., giving information, instructions, or advice;

if it gives you information, it's a guide.

If you were a geologist you would study in school or whatever and learn about rock and ore formations. I see the wiki as being the TFC version of school, a place to learn about how the TFC world works. Knowing what type of rock may hold a type of ore doesn't give you an exact location of said ore, you still need to pro pick and search the area.

For example, I found a gabbro biome, and I know from the wiki nickel spawns there. I have 3+ full double chests of gabbro cobblestone and gone through many picks digging and propicking to find nickel, none yet. I don't think it's making it easier for me, but it's nice to know I'm looking in the right spot regardless.

I hope this topic gets back on topic of the OP.

These are from my first world, it's in 47f.

http://imgur.com/a/GlAwD

Copper in Andesite (2 locations)

Sphalerite in Schist

Let me know if I missed any data.

My understanding of the world gen is that you have the vein generation, which goes from the bottom up to about y=130, and respects rock type limitations. Then you have like, the surface ore generation, which goes from about y=100, to the roof, only consists of small nodes of copper and T0 ores, and does not respect rock limitations.

These are from my first world, it's in 47f.

http://imgur.com/a/GlAwD

Copper in Andesite (2 locations)

Sphalerite in Schist

Let me know if I missed any data.

Thank you for contributing.

Sphalerite already had the Schist location in it's info. You might want to look at the http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Ores or the respective page for the ores/minerals you are sending info on, I do however appreciate the info as it confirms older info.

My understanding of the world gen is that you have the vein generation, which goes from the bottom up to about y=130, and respects rock type limitations. Then you have like, the surface ore generation, which goes from about y=100, to the roof, only consists of small nodes of copper and T0 ores, and does not respect rock limitations.

Sounds intriguing, hadn't heard of such a condition. Do we have any official confirmation of this theory?

Do we have any official confirmation of this theory?

Doesn't sound right, but I could be talking out my ass :( Probably best to ask Crysyn

Its part right and part wrong.

Ore generation in TFCraft is based on Better Ore Distribution from Macropolo. The really huge deposits can only happen at depth while across the surface you will get smaller deposits of mostly starter metals. At any depth they should always obey rock types and such however.. But some rocks now contain more ores than they did before, or should have :D

At any depth they should always obey rock types and such

Which was what I always thought. Thank you for the confirmation Crysyn.

On the Minerals page of the wiki, Cinnabar is said to be found in Shale. I can neither confirm nor deny that, though I can tell you that I found it in Andesite. I think I got the vein out when I was mining, though I could go back and check again. If I can find any leftovers without causing a cave-in, I will get back with screenshots.

I intend to help out on the wiki as I get deeper into the mod. Though as of yet, I need to get a bit more active here on the forums first. If I read the post correctly, I need to have above 20 posts on the forum before applying to become a wiki editor.

Worth noting is that this was generated in 47f, though I have today updated to 48f. As far as I can recall from the patch log, there should be no change in the generation of stone/ore/minerals etc.

Love this mod so far, and I'll get back with screenshots if I can, as well as any other ores and minerals I run into.

~Carthang

Found copper nestled between Andesite and Slate:

Posted Image

Version: 48f, Single Player

Native copper in basalt. Actually a fairly large vein taking up at least 2 1/2 double chests so far of ore. This is in 48 (client is g, not sure what version server was when generated but was 48 something). Seems when I was playing in a server on 47 I found native copper in basalt then too.

http://i.imgur.com/M99aB.png

Thank you for participating in improving the wiki knowledgebase.

Found copper nestled between Andesite and Slate:

Seems like was only spawned in the Andesite blocks?

X: -524

Y: 149

Z: 360

Seed: 273768158

Excellent specificity in your post Trn.

Native copper in basalt. Actually a fairly large vein taking up at least 2 1/2 double chests so far of ore. This is in 48 (client is g, not sure what version server was when generated but was 48 something). Seems when I was playing in a server on 47 I found native copper in basalt then too.

I can personally also verify that one of my mines in basalt has Nat.Copper

Keep up the nice work, and please feel free to check the minerals as well, since we have no idea when we might need to know where those spawn in the future of the mod ;)

Edited by flamestrider