Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EternalUndeath

Old flames

88 posts in this topic

So I just realized...

...why not bring back a version of the old notchcode fire spread?

Back in vanilla before the adventure update, if you started a fire around flammable stuff, your shit would get fucked up like a weightless coprophile.

Then they nerfed it, and you have to work nowadays just to light something INTENTIONALLY.

Real fire isn't half that forgiving. You have about 4 seconds to put out a real life fire before your house spontaneously turns into a black wire frame and collapses - it's both cartoonish and horrifying.

I say bring back the old vanilla code that let us burn down an entire rainforest with one click, and make people REALLY worry about fire safety

That said, water should probably also put out fires in the blocks next to it, to make firefighting with water buckets a little more effective

I agree that fire needs to spread faster, but to instantly start something on fire? That seems a little exsessive. Fire spread should be quick, but it should also not be too fast, to take into account the "living wood" and other things. Remember that, yes, fire does spread quickly, but needs to "warm up", if you will, to SERIOUSLY start a blaze.

E.G. Campfires - you start it and you have a fire going. When you put a new log in, it doesn't start immediatly, does it? it needs to "warm up" to the fire before it is completely engulfed.

EDIT: Real Life, campfires, BTW, not TFC campfires

I agree that fire needs to spread faster, but to instantly start something on fire? That seems a little exsessive. Fire spread should be quick, but it should also not be too fast, to take into account the "living wood" and other things. Remember that, yes, fire does spread quickly, but needs to "warm up", if you will, to SERIOUSLY start a blaze.

E.G. Campfires - you start it and you have a fire going. When you put a new log in, it doesn't start immediatly, does it? it needs to "warm up" to the fire before it is completely engulfed.

EDIT: Real Life, campfires, BTW, not TFC campfires

Ah, that's another thing

it all depends on how thick the item is, and how dry

Trees don't go up in smoke easily, because logs are thick and recently deceased, i.e. wet.

Plank blocks, on the other hand, are cut and dry, and should catch easily.

Fire spread should be affected by an area's humidity - if you live in a rainy area your log piles will be pretty resistant to flames, but if you live near a desert... why, some small burnables (such as the dead shrubs) just may reach their flash point just by virtue of the local temp

True, true... A forest shouldn't ignite as easily as a wooden house should. But it shouldn"t be a "blink and you miss it" kinda thing, you know?

True, true... A forest shouldn't ignite as easily as a wooden house should. But it shouldn"t be a "blink and you miss it" kinda thing, you know?

Well that bit was exaggeration obviously lol

You could craft some sort of accelerant. Maybe an oil, out of olives.

Eh.... i don't really like the idea of fire being worse, specifically for Multiplayer servers, griefability is increased with that.

I think speed is fine, and I agree that the initial fire should take a while before it begins to spread.

What is with it and people with olives? that's two uses in the past week

Eh.... i don't really like the idea of fire being worse, specifically for Multiplayer servers, griefability is increased with that.

I'm deeply unconcerned with SMP griefing

That's the responsibility of the server, not the mod

TFC's stated goal is not 'Greifer Free! :D'

Well yeah, but i do want to discourage adding tools for it, if there was a tool availed to us that could prevent such things, then sure, add the old flames back.

Well yeah, but i do want to discourage adding tools for it, if there was a tool availed to us that could prevent such things, then sure, add the old flames back.

There is - it's called a water bucket.

Side note for Bioxx - perhaps water could increase the humidity of blocks near it drastically for a minimum time frame? That way even water that has just passed over it will make it more 'humid' for a good few seconds, which would help prevent fire spread

I like the idea of having to actually work hard to put out a fire once it's ramped up to an inferno. It would, as you mentioned, raise a better awareness of fire safety. I don't think campfires can ignite nearby blocks, but perhaps they should. Building a campfire directly under a tree is a bad idea in real life, and should also be a bad idea in game.

Only YOU ,,,o_ can prevent forest fires.

I like the idea of having to actually work hard to put out a fire once it's ramped up to an inferno. It would, as you mentioned, raise a better awareness of fire safety. I don't think campfires can ignite nearby blocks, but perhaps they should. Building a campfire directly under a tree is a bad idea in real life, and should also be a bad idea in game.

Only YOU ,,,o_ can prevent forest fires.

Well camp fires can indeed ignite nearby log blocks...

However, I think that that sort of thing should be taken from the realm of 'this generates fire tile blocks here and here if these conditions are met', and placed in the domain of 'this adds x heat to the area, and these burn at this heat level. Hope you weren't keeping them dry'

Well camp fires can indeed ignite nearby log blocks...

However, I think that that sort of thing should be taken from the realm of 'this generates fire tile blocks here and here if these conditions are met', and placed in the domain of 'this adds x heat to the area, and these burn at this heat level. Hope you weren't keeping them dry'

That seems a fair idea, I like it. It makes sense with my "It take a while for the fire to 'warm up' idea" that I seem to be stuck with... Geez, i'm a stubborn fellow...

That seems a fair idea, I like it. It makes sense with my "It take a while for the fire to 'warm up' idea" that I seem to be stuck with... Geez, i'm a stubborn fellow...

Personally I feel like it fits in with the 'organic' mechanic Dunk and the other devs are trying to put into the mod, which I'm so in love with

So yeah or ney on ash piling up from fires like evil Minecraft? May be a rip off though it is something to improve rhis mods goal and not all the random in EM. Though it could be changed to "pile up" like snow to make it separate.

Personally I feel like it fits in with the 'organic' mechanic Dunk and the other devs are trying to put into the mod, which I'm so in love with

That describes it better than what I was ranting about. "Organic fire"

So yeah or ney on ash piling up from fires like evil Minecraft? May be a rip off though it is something to improve rhis mods goal and not all the random in EM. Though it could be changed to "pile up" like snow to make it separate.

ehhh...

Idk. If something like that DID happen, it'd have to have a very small occurrence. Like 1 tile generated for every 5-6 blocks burned directly above it.

Honestly I think it's a bit too far to the 'realism' end

I just didn't like the thought of a wood shack going up in smoke without a little ash here and there, plus I'm terribad with ideas

I just didn't like the thought of a wood shack going up in smoke without a little ash here and there, plus I'm terribad with ideas

If there was ash, would it have a use? if not, then it just seems insulting... "Hey! you know that awesome wooden structure you had? now it's useless ash!!! YAAAAAAY!"

Ash -> Potash, which can be used as Fertilizer?

(Yes, from Dwarf Fortress)

If the heat system that i suggested earlier were implemented (don't know if and when though), trees would catch fire because of the hot air.

If the heat system that i suggested earlier were implemented (don't know if and when though), trees would catch fire because of the hot air.

Would all flammable blocks have a flash point?

Could items like the firestarter or a flint/steel raise the temperature of a block to a preset amount for 2-3 ticks?

Will ambient heat spread unrealistically, or will air remain a good insulator?

Would all flammable blocks have a flash point?

Could items like the firestarter or a flint/steel raise the temperature of a block to a preset amount for 2-3 ticks?

Will ambient heat spread unrealistically, or will air remain a good insulator?

If ambient temp started fires, a forest could catch fire just cause a single leaf block on a single tree spawned over the border of a desert

Well.. potash, it is used in soap production, right? Also, it acts as a ph changer (i think acid, not sure) so it could be implemented as a fertilizer for some plants.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0