Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
bsb23

Arrests

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you prefer for arrests?

• I liked the idea of teleportation to jail upon arrests.
    • I liked the idea of a dragging/carrying mechanic instead.
    • Other (don't vote for this one, just tell me the option you want so I can add it)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

71 posts in this topic

This topic is a branch off of the kingdoms thread, it is a little confusing in there so I figured this is a little easier. It was decided (not confirmed) that we will try to limit banning by instead adding a jailing mechanic. Banning is trying to be avoided as it isn't an in game power and can be easily abused, also it makes no sense from a believable standpoint.

The ideas are all in the kingdoms thread mostly in the mid-twenties pages but I'm sure they are elsewhere also so you will probably want to look there for more info.

The first idea was the idea of teleportation on arrest at first the idea was just a special permissions item(handcuffs) that could be used on anyone with a criminal offense and it would send them to jail. This was refined to a tool/weapon (baton) that would do the same thing it was eventually decided that it would probably take multiple hits. It wasn't really discussed if special permission were to stay or not.

Pros: Very little coding needed, very difficult to use as a greifer tool

Cons: Unbelievable

The next was a response to the original idea it was that we could add a dragging/carrying/pulling mechanic. Using the baton or another blunt weapon(or anything that deals blunt damage possibly) an enemy player is knocked unconscious and then moved into jail by players. I couple different ideas of how moving the player would happen were presented; one man drag, multiple man carry, or a rope pull.

Pros: Believable, adds depth and excitement to arrests

Cons: Not easy to code

If I forgot anything tell me so I can add it in.

Ehh, i think that as far as jail goes, if it becomes a consideration and is added, believe-ability can kinda take a tiny side seat. The absolute simplicity of a moderator on a server just "magically" sending someone to jail is more than adiquate, as far as easy to use for mods, easy to code, and so on. The need to drag someone to jail before they become conscious is just silly. To put it simply the only reason for jail is so moderators can have a lite grade punishment to enforce, before permanently banning someone. No need for it to be an over-complicated ordeal.

Plus it would still take multiple hits, but instead of becoming unconscious they would be teled, you could even put in a server wide message like deaths that someone has been jailed

AWESOME! I'd love to see this in game!! Would you code it?

>other says 'don't vote for this one'

>1 vote for other

smells like idiot.

I was for dragging for one reason mainly belivability the old smelting system also worked fine as did mining with a wood stick. They weren't believable at all the same as a magic teleporting stick. That isn't what this mod is about and bioxx does certainly isn't easy to code and i certainly couldn't understand much of it but yet he still does it.

The tele option is a good compromise, I think. With the Baton taking multipule hits to KO a criminal, I don't think anyone want to spend time dragging the criminal to jail. Plus think about the criminal. Kinda sucks that you can't do anything while being dragged. In my opinion, that's even more of a dick move than the criminal act.

>other says 'don't vote for this one'

>1 vote for other

smells like idiot.

Smells like a troll. :P

I actually agree with both options, for many of the same reasons as have been stated, and wouldn't care much if either option were used.

Though, if jailing is nothing more then a more thematic way to ban people, then I would rather err on the way of teleportation, simply because it's easier to code and it doesn't seem like spending a lot of time writing code for dragging a person would be worth it...

Now, if you could do OTHER things with the dragging code, on the otherhand...

Smells like a troll. :P

I actually agree with both options, for many of the same reasons as have been stated, and wouldn't care much if either option were used.

Though, if jailing is nothing more then a more thematic way to ban people, then I would rather err on the way of teleportation, simply because it's easier to code and it doesn't seem like spending a lot of time writing code for dragging a person would be worth it...

Now, if you could do OTHER things with the dragging code, on the otherhand...

that's what I'm thinking. You never know how writing a bit of code for one thing will affect another. For example, the code that I use to make deer avoid the player is the same code creepers use to avoid cats.

i think the solution is up to the dev team since they are the ones who actually work out the mechanics and code it

so we should think about other uses for the dragging to create more aplications and to pitch it to the devs ^^

you could for example kidnap someone, or caveins / hunger could make you unconcious -> drag you out of danger

If butchering and animal meat prep is added you would have to drag the carcass back home

At the start i was for the believable drag option. Although i don't want to make devs jobs harder than they are, the fact is that i don't see the mod advancing without some hard work. Then, i started reading, and i kind of see the point of most of the people. Even when the dragging mechanic could later help in other game aspects, i must agree that the better way to jail people is the tp one.

On a completely off topic note, i finally got back from Uruguay :3

Ok so lets assume we go with dragging. What happens to the bludgeoned player, they see a black screen and stars for 10 min or something? How about when they player logs off to avoid being detained. How about when a crew of greifers get a hold of any blunt instrument and go around jailing people for giggles.

I dont even think jailing should take multiple hits, because that gives the person whom is to be jailed a chance to fight back. I think if a mod has reason to jail someone they should be able to just walk up and throw them in jail.

At the very least, and honestly probably the easiest way to handle this is with a config option. Just have it default to dragging, and have a jailplayerteleport=false (default) change to true for them to teleport. Also a jailplayerinstant=false (default) so it would take 3 or 4 hits to bludgeon someone, and then true it would knock them out and given that the other was true also teleport them instantly to jail.

That's what I was sayIng, man. What would the player that everyone arrested see while he was being dragged? It just seems a little too much of a dick move, to me, making a player unable to do jack diddly squat for a few minutes while the jailers take their sweet time getting him to the cell

That's what I was sayIng, man. What would the player that everyone arrested see while he was being dragged? It just seems a little too much of a dick move, to me, making a player unable to do jack diddly squat for a few minutes while the jailers take their sweet time getting him to the cell

on the other hand, the alternative might be instant jail. While being dragged, he has the option to call his friends who can leap out of the bushes and beat his captors into submission, freeing him.

on the other hand, the alternative might be instant jail. While being dragged, he has the option to call his friends who can leap out of the bushes and beat his captors into submission, freeing him.

I'd totally be for the dragging thing if that if the captors didn't get him to jail fast enough, he would wake up and could struggle free and escape. That would be cool, and believable

Ok so lets assume we go with dragging. What happens to the bludgeoned player, they see a black screen and stars for 10 min or something? How about when they player logs off to avoid being detained. How about when a crew of greifers get a hold of any blunt instrument and go around jailing people for giggles.

I dont even think jailing should take multiple hits, because that gives the person whom is to be jailed a chance to fight back. I think if a mod has reason to jail someone they should be able to just walk up and throw them in jail.

At the very least, and honestly probably the easiest way to handle this is with a config option. Just have it default to dragging, and have a jailplayerteleport=false (default) change to true for them to teleport. Also a jailplayerinstant=false (default) so it would take 3 or 4 hits to bludgeon someone, and then true it would knock them out and given that the other was true also teleport them instantly to jail.

I think ten minutes is probably extreme 30 minecraft minutes should be plenty long although how long that is I'm not really sure. Its the same as jail you can't do anything that fits. The crew of greifers have now evolved into armed kidnappers which may not sound like an improvement but its more believable and the big thing is now they can be punished realistically to. However the point in the middle of the first paragraph is valid, logging off during this would be a problem, I can think of two solutions. One, they can't log off while be dragged or number two when you log out your character stays in place and your next spawn point will be where your character is moved to. The second idea could be extended to all log offs so when you are sleeping you are invincible but obviously can't do anything, however you can be moved around like if you were unconscious unless you slept in a bed. I'm just spitting out ideas here so if anyone has alternative ideas tell me.

Jailing has to take multiple hits to prevent from it becoming a greifer tool if someone can go around and knock them unconscious with one hit they would be almost unstoppable. I don't think Bioxx likes configs but instead prefers in-game options.

a way to keep the baton from being a griefer tool is to make it only work if someone broke a protected block or stole from a chest

i prefer tp because I don't want the code time spent for something that will just make jailing someone harder, if you want believability just imagine you dragged him to jail, cackling as you punch him when he twitches,this for my personal humor only I'm bored and can't help it.

another reason is that many towns will want to hide their jail so as to keep would be rescuers at bay.

a way to keep the baton from being a griefer tool is to make it only work if someone broke a protected block or stole from a chest

i prefer tp because I don't want the code time spent for something that will just make jailing someone harder, if you want believability just imagine you dragged him to jail, cackling as you punch him when he twitches,this for my personal humor only I'm bored and can't help it.

another reason is that many towns will want to hide their jail so as to keep would be rescuers at bay.

uhh... Can't the captured guy press f3 and tell them his coords?

if you build it out of bedrock it doesnt matter muhahahaha

if you build it out of bedrock it doesnt matter muhahahaha

enough TNT can break bedrock, it technically isn't unbreakable, (i think even by hand, but it take like a billion seconds or something)

^litterally, not exagerating on the billion.

^^blast resistance of 18 000 000

^^^NOPE.

just foolin, but is there a way to block the "debug"-screen ? this would also make good maps much more valuable -> cartography could become a profession

Guys, serious question here. Dragging is all well and good, what happens if they log off mid drag ?

You can't really lock people into the game either because stopping folk from quitting their own game is hardly fair :P

Guys, serious question here. Dragging is all well and good, what happens if they log off mid drag ?

You can't really lock people into the game either because stopping folk from quitting their own game is hardly fair :P

no, you can't, so it would have to allow your character to stay logged in while your client disconnected. Your inventory and spawn location would be updated when you log in next.

no, you can't, so it would have to allow your character to stay logged in while your client disconnected. Your inventory and spawn location would be updated when you log in next.

Would that be in every case or just certain cases. For example, I wouldn't want to leave my character logged on, standing around like a total burk if I went to the gym :P

Especially not on deathban/permadeath RP servers :L